First Prev
of 3
Next Last
No clue

Madison, TN

#1 Jan 22, 2014
Does anyone else have a problem with this company? My light bill is 300$ plus every month. I have had pros look over my house every month and they have found nothing to reason why my bill is so outrageous.
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jan 22, 2014
They came to my house & installed a new meter & my bill tripled!
Hmmm

Jonesborough, TN

#3 Jan 22, 2014
People that whine and moan about their bills are almost always using that much power and simply don't know, or admit it.

So, either bitch about it ( nobody cares ), or do something about it.

Buy yourself a "Kil-a-watt" meter ( about 30 bucks, Amazon.com ) and start plugging into every 120v source in your house. Record the readings and add them up. It will surprise you.

Want to get more info ? Buy a TED (The Energy Detective) unit.$240. It has two probes that clamp over the main wires in your panel, and gives you a real time reading on the power you're using. Compare it to the power company meter. Bet you find it's the same.

Then clamp the probes over the wires from individual 240v breakers.....like your heat, or water heater, and so on. See exactly what your are using and what it is costing you on any individual appliance.

"WOW.....didn't know that was costing THAT much !"
Wine and dine

Jonesborough, TN

#4 Jan 22, 2014
They need to charge you more so they can wine and dine the big wigs! You don't mind being overcharged to help out their CEOs do you? Expensive trips and meals are all paid for by high power bills! So turn up the heat!
humph

Kingsport, TN

#5 Jan 23, 2014
I notice now when you pay your bill online you can look at a graph supposedly showing your usage by day, hour or month. According to their hourly/daily usage, I am using more electricity during the hours when I'm not even at home and everything is cut down to the lowest setting or not in use at all. Sounds kind of fishy to me. But what can you do?
No clue

Madison, TN

#7 Jan 23, 2014
As I said I have had different certified electricians check my home thoroughly. They have found nothing. My light bill should not cost more than my house payment or anywhere near it for the usage the bill says I am using. Both of the people I hired neither one could explain why my usage was so high. I refuse to hook a generator to the home i am paying to upkeep, and I have made my last complaint to them.
The Faxx

Kingsport, TN

#8 Jan 23, 2014
I've read of someone who had a similar problem. It seems the previous owner had agreed to pay the bill for extra street lights around his property.(So the power board said). The power company just "assumed" he, the new owner was going to do the same. Eventually they straightened it out, but I'm not sure if he was ever reimbursed for the debt. The power board also covers themselves with a lot of hocus pocus formulas and a sliding scale as to the costs of electricity during peak periods and such. They also claim to estimate usage but never seem to make up the difference. You can file a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission, but I don't know if you would get any real help from them. Be sure to document all of your evidence. After that, a class action lawsuit covering yourself and others may be your best recourse. Good luck!
shocked by your knowledge

United States

#9 Feb 9, 2014
Hmmm wrote:
People that whine and moan about their bills are almost always using that much power and simply don't know, or admit it.
So, either bitch about it ( nobody cares ), or do something about it.
Buy yourself a "Kil-a-watt" meter ( about 30 bucks, Amazon.com ) and start plugging into every 120v source in your house. Record the readings and add them up. It will surprise you.
Want to get more info ? Buy a TED (The Energy Detective) unit.$240. It has two probes that clamp over the main wires in your panel, and gives you a real time reading on the power you're using. Compare it to the power company meter. Bet you find it's the same.
Then clamp the probes over the wires from individual 240v breakers.....like your heat, or water heater, and so on. See exactly what your are using and what it is costing you on any individual appliance.
"WOW.....didn't know that was costing THAT much !"
im so glad you decided to post your helpful comment!! everyone just loves a smartass know-it-all!!...assuming that your momma taught you the same things as most good parents do, you should take the old advice.." if you dont have anything nice to say, then shut the hell up! thanks for your help
Hmmm

Jonesborough, TN

#10 Feb 10, 2014
Hey....no problem. Keep bitching about your bills. See if anybody cares.
.
I put up some real solutions so folks could tell what they really are using and how to change that, but apparently YOU don't want solutions, you simply want to bitch.
.
Have at it.:)
The Faxx

Kingsport, TN

#11 Feb 11, 2014
Hmmm wrote:
Hey....no problem. Keep bitching about your bills. See if anybody cares.
.
I put up some real solutions so folks could tell what they really are using and how to change that, but apparently YOU don't want solutions, you simply want to bitch.
.
Have at it.:)
Now don't you feel really stupid for buying all that expensive crap only to tell you nothing? You've been had by slick advertising! Next time, save your money to pay those exorbitant power bills.
Hmmm

Jonesborough, TN

#12 Feb 12, 2014
Yeah....caught the sarcasm even w/o the [/sarc]....ahahahaaa
.
Only device I bought was the Kil-a-Watt tool, which did come in handy for several things. For example, we now cut off the desktop computer AND the router when not in use....they can use quite a bit of power just in idle. Same thing with the DISH receiver. Put on a power strip so we can cut it off when not in use. Put your hand on anything that plugs in.....if it feels warm, it's using quite a bit of POWER.....more than you think over the course of time.

Our old fridge was a mid-90's Whirlpool SBS 22cuft. The 'yellow' tag that came with it said it used 1200kwhrs per year. New one is a GE 25cuft model that uses less than 600.

Changed most of the lights out to LED, which are even better than compact florescent bulbs. Bought Cree brand LR-6 bulbs for all the recessed lights over at Cline-Holder. 10.5 watts ! and knock your eyeball out bright ! And INSTANT on....no 'warm up' to crappy light like CFL bulbs.

Electric water heater went out some years back.....changed to gas. Cheaper, and you never run out of hot water.....AND if the power is out, you still have a hot shower ! What's not to like ?

Went to Lowes.....bought couple dozen bags of blow-in fiberglass insulation....they will let you use a blowing machine for free with so many bags. Added 12" of insulation to the attic.( be careful NOT to block your venting out near the roof overhang.....or your summer AC load will go up )

Put a good wood burning fireplace insert in the living room, and heat most of the house with it. Yeah, it takes some work, but sure is good heat. Living area is a nice 75-80 degrees.

Our power use last month (January) 569kwhrs.(12/27-1/28). Cost $64.54

Easy to just bitch. Doing something about it requires effort.
Watcher

Johnson City, TN

#13 Feb 12, 2014
If you read the paper, JC power chose to go with the peak usage program that TVA said was optional. I am not aware of any other power companies around here doing it. In other words, another method of ripping off the consumers. More money for free trips and parties.
Mike

Johnson City, TN

#14 Feb 12, 2014
Watcher wrote:
If you read the paper, JC power chose to go with the peak usage program that TVA said was optional. I am not aware of any other power companies around here doing it. In other words, another method of ripping off the consumers. More money for free trips and parties.
Quit runnin your yap like some sour old fart when you have no clue what you're talking about.
It's obviously you have no idea how power generation works and what drives the KWH price, the peak usage program is designed to save people money in the long run you dimwit. The JCPB does not profit from the program, the consumer does.
Old Guard

Murfreesboro, TN

#15 Feb 12, 2014
JCPB is the biggest joke of a "public service" I've ever seen. They have better power service in Bagdad, and we've bombed the shit out of that place for over 20 years.
JCPB Ratepayer

Butler, TN

#16 Feb 12, 2014
Watcher wrote:
If you read the paper, JC power chose to go with the peak usage program that TVA said was optional. I am not aware of any other power companies around here doing it. In other words, another method of ripping off the consumers. More money for free trips and parties.
Just so you are aware, the TVA has been charging the JCPB peak usage rates for almost two years yet the JCPB has chosen not to relay this type of billing to the customer as of yet. If the JCPB's intent was to rip customers off and if the peak usage rate was indeed a stunt to make more money, the JCPB would have already been doing this. There are a lot of power distributors charging via the peak usage rate method. When the government is idling all the coal powered power plants without building any newer plants to replace them, overall capacity is diminished. With lower capacity, the peak usage rate billing system is the only way to minimize peak capacity. You can direct your complaining to the EPA for this maneveur, not the JCPB. Also, the JCPB only distributes power, it does not generate it.

Regarding power outages, the JCPB is rated as one of the highes in terms of service outages in the state. One of the worst is Appalachian in Kingsport. We are lucky to have the JCPB.
Old Guard

Murfreesboro, TN

#17 Feb 12, 2014
JCPB Ratepayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding power outages, the JCPB is rated as one of the highes in terms of service outages in the state. One of the worst is Appalachian in Kingsport. We are lucky to have the JCPB.
So, we are comparing turds here, I see. Our turd (JCPB) is comparatively quite shiny and desirable compared to our neighbors (Kingsport) slightly less-lusterous and mellifluous turd.

Gotcha.
JC Ratepayer

Butler, TN

#18 Feb 12, 2014
Old Guard wrote:
<quoted text>
So, we are comparing turds here, I see. Our turd (JCPB) is comparatively quite shiny and desirable compared to our neighbors (Kingsport) slightly less-lusterous and mellifluous turd.
Gotcha.
Not at all. The JCPB is rated as one of the most reliable distributors in the TVA realm. When there actually are outages, nobody gets the power back on quicker than the JCPB. JCPB rates are also a lot lower than other distributors. DO some homework before you start bashing them. It is a fine organization and does a lot for our community. I guess you haven't realized that power is not free. Are you one of the people that will go into Burger King and try to haggle the price of a small hamburger?
The Faxx

Kingsport, TN

#19 Feb 12, 2014
Hmmm wrote:
Yeah....caught the sarcasm even w/o the [/sarc]....ahahahaaa
.
Only device I bought was the Kil-a-Watt tool, which did come in handy for several things. For example, we now cut off the desktop computer AND the router when not in use....they can use quite a bit of power just in idle. Same thing with the DISH receiver. Put on a power strip so we can cut it off when not in use. Put your hand on anything that plugs in.....if it feels warm, it's using quite a bit of POWER.....more than you think over the course of time.
Our old fridge was a mid-90's Whirlpool SBS 22cuft. The 'yellow' tag that came with it said it used 1200kwhrs per year. New one is a GE 25cuft model that uses less than 600.
Changed most of the lights out to LED, which are even better than compact florescent bulbs. Bought Cree brand LR-6 bulbs for all the recessed lights over at Cline-Holder. 10.5 watts ! and knock your eyeball out bright ! And INSTANT on....no 'warm up' to crappy light like CFL bulbs.
Electric water heater went out some years back.....changed to gas. Cheaper, and you never run out of hot water.....AND if the power is out, you still have a hot shower ! What's not to like ?
Went to Lowes.....bought couple dozen bags of blow-in fiberglass insulation....they will let you use a blowing machine for free with so many bags. Added 12" of insulation to the attic.( be careful NOT to block your venting out near the roof overhang.....or your summer AC load will go up )
Put a good wood burning fireplace insert in the living room, and heat most of the house with it. Yeah, it takes some work, but sure is good heat. Living area is a nice 75-80 degrees.
Our power use last month (January) 569kwhrs.(12/27-1/28). Cost $64.54
Easy to just bitch. Doing something about it requires effort.
Wait a minute here. You claim your gas water heater can run without electricity? Unless you have an old archaic manual pilot light gas water heater, it will not fire without electricity and that's a fact. Being that you claim to have sunken a fortune in home improvements to curb excessive electrical usage, I can't imagine you would buy a "brand new" 20 year old water heater that isn't even being manufactured anymore. Most people can't afford an energy efficient overhaul such as you have portrayed.
You do make some valid points regarding parasitic appliances adding up the bill when not in use, but I think you are getting a bit too creative with some of the other information. Slapping in a fireplace insert for wood burning requires a major chunk of money, not so much in the addition itself, but in the need for a chimney and safe venting. If you can afford all that, you probably wouldn't worry about high energy bills!
Hmmm

Jonesborough, TN

#20 Feb 13, 2014
The Faxx wrote:
<quoted text>Wait a minute here. You claim your gas water heater can run without electricity? Unless you have an old archaic manual pilot light gas water heater, it will not fire without electricity and that's a fact.
You apparently know nothing about gas water heaters. Take a trip to Home Depot, or call ANY gas company, and educate yourself before making fool statements about "facts".

There are four types of gas water heaters.

1. The "conventional" type that vents straight up a metal flue pipe. These have a standing pilot light,(no power needed) and must have an air intake vent or a large enough room to feed combustion air to the burner

2. Direct vent. These can vent out the side of wall, but has to be located fairly close TO an exterior wall. The vent is double walled pipe, it pulls intake air in part of the pipe, takes it down the side of the tank (you'll see a piece of ductwork running down the side of the tank jacket), and runs the exhaust out the other part of the vent pipe. These are used where you can't use a straight upflow type exhaust. They are also standing pilot light...no power needed either. This is the model I have.

These two make up the majority of gas water heaters installed today. The majority of water heaters sold and in use today DO NOT need electric power. They use a standing pilot light.....you light it once, it stays lit, and when the tank temperature falls to a preset point on the thermostat ( a non electric thermostat ), the gas control feeds gas to the burner, the standing pilot light ignites that gas, and the tank water is heated.

3. Power vent. Similar to the direct vent, but you can locate them farther away from an exterior wall,(about 20' or so if I recall) and a fan sucks the intake air in for combustion and moves the exhaust on out the vent. Still uses a standing pilot light, but does require a small amount of electric power to run that fan. The fan only runs when the main burner ignites.

4. Tankless. Heater without a storage tank, heats the water as called for when a tap opens. Uses a small amount of power to run the sensors, computer control board, and electronic ignition ( doesn't use a standing pilot light ).
.
.
As to the rest of your comments, yes, it often does cost money to save money. So what ?
Either spend the money to save MORE in the long run, or sit around and moan about life.
Well

Johnson City, TN

#21 Feb 14, 2014
humph wrote:
I notice now when you pay your bill online you can look at a graph supposedly showing your usage by day, hour or month. According to their hourly/daily usage, I am using more electricity during the hours when I'm not even at home and everything is cut down to the lowest setting or not in use at all. Sounds kind of fishy to me. But what can you do?
I noticed this on mine the other day. I turn my heat off during the day, all the lights are off, no computer running, most things are unplugged other than appliances, but I used more elec when I was gone than when I was home in the evening with my appliances running?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
act call center johnson city tn (Oct '10) 9 hr jackie48 310
Judge Lincoln threatens to lock up deputies for... (Jan '11) 10 hr jackie48 8
Buddy Caraway is mad at Waldo 10 hr Delbert 2
What has happened to Gregs Pizza?? (Oct '12) 18 hr Pizza Guy 58
Mr. P. B. McDaniel 18 hr knows your family 1
GOP leadership will protect Obamacare Wed zzz 52
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) Wed DonotbesoNaive 351
Jonesborough Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jonesborough People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jonesborough News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jonesborough

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:58 pm PST

Bleacher Report 6:58PM
Betting Odds, Prediction for Colts vs. Titans
NBC Sports 8:22 AM
Falcons cut LB James Anderson on Christmas Eve
NBC Sports12:17 PM
Jurrell Casey won't go to Pro Bowl as an alternate
NBC Sports12:22 PM
Gano eager for another chance vs. Falcons - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 4:53 AM
Panthers coach and family replaced gifts for break-in victims