Someone to Remove Dead Animal from Crawlspace?

Posted in the Jonesborough Forum

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Apr 20, 2013
Desperate

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

There is a dead animal in our crawlspace, and we are totally desperate. My husband went under there to try to remove it, but he could not access all areas because of obstacles. He said someone really skinny/narrow might have better luck. We called a guy who came out, didn't look very hard, charged a lot, and also couldn't find it.

We NEED someone to find and remove this. We can't even stand to stay in our house. Anybody know of a service that will do this?
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

I bet any of your Pest control places would.

Good luck !
Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Desperate wrote:
There is a dead animal in our crawlspace, and we are totally desperate. My husband went under there to try to remove it, but he could not access all areas because of obstacles. He said someone really skinny/narrow might have better luck. We called a guy who came out, didn't look very hard, charged a lot, and also couldn't find it.
We NEED someone to find and remove this. We can't even stand to stay in our house. Anybody know of a service that will do this?
Are you 100% sure the odor is from a dead animal? Most decomposing animals only stink for a couple weeks at most.

In contrast, a leaking sewer pipe will stink to high heaven continuously. It doesn't have to be a big leak and the most common area for leaks is underneath toilets where connecting drain pipes can work loose. Older iron drain pipes can corrode and leak over time; ABS (black plastic) drain pipes don't corrode but they can crack or split. Even if a damaged pipe doesn't leak liquid/solid waste, it can still leak sewer gas which smells just as bad.

If you're on a septic system, your problem could be sewage backing up inside your drain pipe between the house and septic tank. This can occur if the tank isn't cleaned periodically (every 2 or 3 years) or if your family uses a lot of toilet paper which can result in blockage due to its slow decomposition rate.
Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you 100% sure the odor is from a dead animal? Most decomposing animals only stink for a couple weeks at most.
In contrast, a leaking sewer pipe will stink to high heaven continuously. It doesn't have to be a big leak and the most common area for leaks is underneath toilets where connecting drain pipes can work loose. Older iron drain pipes can corrode and leak over time; ABS (black plastic) drain pipes don't corrode but they can crack or split. Even if a damaged pipe doesn't leak liquid/solid waste, it can still leak sewer gas which smells just as bad.
If you're on a septic system, your problem could be sewage backing up inside your drain pipe between the house and septic tank. This can occur if the tank isn't cleaned periodically (every 2 or 3 years) or if your family uses a lot of toilet paper which can result in blockage due to its slow decomposition rate.
Also- if the problem is found to be a loose/disconnected drain pipe beneath a toilet, repair usually requires nothing more than tightening/reconnecting it. If the problem is a damaged pipe, it may be possible to repair it instead of replacing it. Iron drain pipes can be repaired most easily with a piece of sheet rubber and pipe bands (radiator hose clamps). ABS drain pipes can be repaired with epoxy sealant or even a good quality duct tape tightly wound around the damage area. The things to remember with drain pipes is they are NOT pressurized like a water supply line which makes them easier to repair and they will only leak as long as they contain water/liquid waste. Locating a leak requires running water thru a drain pipe and a horizontal pipe will usually only leak liquid if the damage is within the lower half of the pipe... damage within the upper half will usually only leak sewer gas unless the pipe is filled to capacity.
Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Also - homes are equipped with vent pipes (commonly referred to as "vent stacks" and "stink pipes") to allow sewer gas to escape from the drain systems while also balancing air pressure within the drain pipes. These vent pipes are normally routed to the roof. If a vent pipe becomes blocked, sewer gas can build up and enter the house. The most common source of vent pipe blockage is trapped birds, leaves, and heavy snow accumulation. I've seen one vent pipe that became disconnected inside a wall which allowed sewer gas to escape within the wall and permeate throughout the house.

Sinks, tubs, dishwashers, & washing machines are connected to drains containing elbows commonly called "P-traps" and "J-traps". These are designed to always contain a small amount of water for the purpose of providing a barrier against sewer gas. Toilets also do the same thing with a design feature known as a "water closet" which is the snake-like curvy portion seen at the base of the toilet. If the water is allowed to evaporate from a P-trap or J-trap due to prolonged lack of use or if it is siphoned out due to imbalanced air pressure with the drain pipe, sewer gas can enter thru it and begin stinking up a house.

MayBee

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Desperate wrote:
Just a thought..... Why not round up some kids in the neighborhood, offer a reward for the one who can drag the dead critter out first?

“It ain't got no gas in it.”

Since: Mar 10

The Nervous Hospital

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

MayBee wrote:
<quoted text>Just a thought..... Why not round up some kids in the neighborhood, offer a reward for the one who can drag the dead critter out first?
Yeah go ahead and do that. Then one of the kids stabs himself with a rusty ol nail and next thing you know you're getting arrested for child endangerment and then sued by the parents.
2wheels

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Send in a dog...they like to drag around dead animals. If one dog is a wuss, try another one.
Cheese Puff Daddy

Farmington, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

I am Karl Childers wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah go ahead and do that. Then one of the kids stabs himself with a rusty ol nail and next thing you know you're getting arrested for child endangerment and then sued by the parents.
Will you take care of it for a mustard biscuit, Carl?

“It ain't got no gas in it.”

Since: Mar 10

The Nervous Hospital

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Cheese Puff Daddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Will you take care of it for a mustard biscuit, Carl?
Two mustard biscuits and six cans o' potted meat.
Cheese Puff Daddy

Farmington, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

I am Karl Childers wrote:
<quoted text>Two mustard biscuits and six cans o' potted meat.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me, sounds like this case is closed.
Cheese Puff Daddy

Farmington, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Aunt Esther Anderson wrote:
Reminds me of the time a cat crawled under my house and died. It smelled like the Devil's spawn. I knew it was a dead cat 'cause you could look under the house with a flashlight and see it about 25 feet away towards the middle. I showed it to my brother-in-law Fred Sanford and offered him 10 bucks to get it out. He said there was no way he'd crawl under there to get a dead cat for just 10 bucks. So I grabbed his wallet and tossed it under the house next to the cat. He got it out for me.
You're lucky he didn't have the big one after you did that..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jonesborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seek wf 32 min MWM 5
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 47 min LeeLee1962 9,273
St Louis cop Dan Page 58 min Its a shame 1
WCDE House of cards are starting to collapse! 1 hr Community Values 2
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 2 hr Lol 144,740
Debate: Ferguson - Johnson City, TN 3 hr Hands Up Dont Shoot 7
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 3 hr Johnny Smith 8,610

Search the Jonesborough Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Jonesborough Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Jonesborough People Search