Isn't panhandling illegal??
The Blend

Jonesborough, TN

#23 Nov 18, 2012
Picky heart wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. My job has me in the position where I am
constantly amazed at the amount of effort some people can put into NOT working. It blows my mind, because I was raised that if you absolutely need help, then you take it, but you give back at least threefold. It is hard for me to comprehend being content to live on handouts, but fortunately I have never been so broken or in that position.
Panhandlers also make me uncomfortable because they pretty much force you to make a choice to ignore them or give them something. You don't want to be a hard heart by letting some disabled vet with PTSD that can't navigate the system starve to death, but I always feel that it is much more likely I am just giving to a lazy moocher, as harsh as that sounds.
Someone once said something to me about this that helped me in the way I react. It was basically along the lines of, you can't change that person. You can't control if they use cash for diapers or for booze. You can't make them act a different role in society, you can't say, "somebody else needs to change this person because I wish it to be so." You can, however, control your own reaction. You can chose to ignore them, perhaps understandably not wanting to support an addiction. Valid reaction. You can chose to buy them a meal, give them some bottled water or a gift card. Valid reaction. You may chose to give them cash and a ride to the liquor store to get wasted, just for the chance to interact with someone on the margins of society with a smile. It helped me immensely to realize that I can't change someone else, my only responsibility is to myself, that I come away from the interaction a better person, not them. Them becoming a better person is their responsibility.
Hey picky heart. Please go to a discussion that I'm going to start right now on this topix board. I'm not trying to flatter me, but your views are refreshing and of great interest to me. Seriously. Especially if you're near Chicago. Are you? I want to get the pulse of the area. Do you mind ???

The topic will be picky heart and me..

Also, if you do respond and others choose to join us, totally disregard the TROLLS....got it?

Thanks
OldTennGranny

Johnson City, TN

#24 Nov 18, 2012
The Blend wrote:
<quoted text> honest to gosh, out of ten people I loan to only one has made the first attempt to pay me back...
I learned a very important thing about loaning ppl money. The next time someone asks u, offer them a job to earn it & they will not only disappear, they wont ever ask again!
The Blend

Jonesborough, TN

#25 Nov 18, 2012
OldTennGranny wrote:
<quoted text>
I learned a very important thing about loaning ppl money. The next time someone asks u, offer them a job to earn it & they will not only disappear, they wont ever ask again!
That's good advice. Honestly, I'm less disappointed in handing money out to strangers than giving it to friends that say ILL PAY YOU BA CK AND THEN DON'T EVEN MAKE AN EFFORT. I want to be a good friend. I just don't have any. There's not many people worthy of friendship on my little life. People at work. Bum money ...they even say...hey man have you got ten bucks till tomorrow? A week later, after having not paid the last ten....have you got twenty until tomorrow....? Lose all respect....
Wow

Southbury, CT

#26 Nov 22, 2012
The Blend wrote:
<quoted text>You're a wise and caring person.

A man and his wife are making haste thru and airport when a lady approches them.

"Please, can you help me. My daughter needs an operation and we need money to pay for the surgery."

Te husband scoffs (looks the other way) and the woman goes to her purse and produces a $20 and hands it over. They exchange thank YOUs and part.

The husband scold his wife. "What did you do that for? That lady's daughter doesn't need a surgery"

"Oh, Thank God ". Said the woman.

Wen someone approaches me I usually give. I don't know their situation but whatever it is, it can't be good. They are asking and not robbing. It's a personal choice.

Ill go a step further. Once, carrying a suitcase in the hot sun, dead broke and in a bad, bad way and sick too, I was crossing a parlking lot at a hospital. A man walked past me and friendly said "How are you?" And in more of a joke to myself, but truthful, I replied "I've seen better days".

Anyhow, there was a shelter with a bench nearby and I sat down under it to get some relief from the heat and try to think as to where I might go from there.....tough times.

The man came back out of the hospital and went out of his way to come over to me. He said "the Lord told me to give you $20 so if you'll follow me over to the van, my wallet is inside it,

I wasn't In a position to refuse. He graciously handed me a $20 and told me that he belonged to a very strong prayer group that met on Wednesdays at his church and invited me to come, when I got things settled and he wished me luck. Ill never foget it and I try t pass it on.

I'm curious to know why someone would be angered by the poor. Even those who can work and won't. I don't understand it, but it doesn't anger me. I have to work and I accept it. I like working, I've worked my whole life with a few spurts in between. I've never actively panhandled and I don't think I've ever really borrowed.

I have to say, I'm much more apt to give to a panhandler than to LOAN money to people that I know and people in the workplace.....honest to gosh, out of ten people I loan to only one has made the first attempt to pay me back...
I think what angers people is that they really don't know if they're helping somebody out or being scammed. It's a sort of aggravation by having your intelligence insulted..
IHS

Jonesborough, TN

#27 Nov 22, 2012
Karma wrote:
<quoted text>Good God dosen't anybody have compassion in their heart anymore.This concerns me.
It should concern you. Te shift toward blaming the poor has become a trend set out by the wealthy. Honest to God, the richest little family, the Koch Brothers, actually speak out AGAINST helping the poor..... It's insane...

They were born billionaires. They purchase politicians like Ron Ramsey and other state thugs to do their biding. The kind of crap you see them do in movies? It's real. They do it. They actually chastise the poor.

I have no problem with someone asking me for something. I gave money to a girl in a parking lot. Se was asking for money and I gave it to her. I don't care. She's. a human and she is asking. I'm a human and I gave it..

Te state thugs are literally trying two things in the next session. They want to make panhandling an arresatbke and punishable offense byBOTH THE ASKER AND THE GIVER and they want to make it mandatory for ALL TENNESSEE BUSINESSES ALLOW THE WORKERS TO HAVE HANDGUNS IN AND ON THE WORKPLACE.

It's a GD freak show in the state of tennessees senate.
Dolinger

Jonesborough, TN

#28 Nov 22, 2012
Do something wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like a crock of shit to me. Are you a motivational speaker? Please someone answer my question. Can't the police di something? Picky heart please go adopt a dog or something useful with your time.
In answer to your question. NO, asking another human being a question is not illegal in the state of Tennessee yet. There are but a few quesrions that you can ask and most of those are in violation of federal law and not state.

Someone, anyone asking for money is not illegal.

Frankly, I don't like you. I don't like your kind either. I hope bad things happen to you. I can't help it. I hope that God renders you in such a position one day that you look up to panhandlers instead of down. I hope that life delivers a shock that will shiver you, driving you down to your knees. I know beyond certainty that its coming to you and it brings me great solace to know that Karma will find you. I only wish I were there to enjoy it.

Happy holidays, you worthless worm. No offense
cancer patient

Portland, ME

#29 Nov 30, 2012
you know its sad to me to see so many people not caring about their fellow man kind. yeah some people prefer to beg and barrow then work and some times it is a bit of a pain but you never know what has happened to them, and to accuse all pan handlers of being addict or lazy is wrong. put your self in some of there shoes.

i have had to pan handle before and not for an addiction and not because i dont want to work but because i could not work. i was diagnosed with cancer not to long back. it caused my world to turn upside down. most of my money was spent on meds or on something to do with my cancer. i wound up in debt a quarter mil really quick. thank god i survived my bone marrow transplant and am now able to work but i spent many years not being able to work. and those who think getting money from the state or goverment is so bad, well you have never had a bad thing happen to you. some people are forced to take the extra help.like i was. its sad when people abuse the help they get i get that. but also remember those who are trying to do right.

state and goverment help does not cover every thing. try being told you only can get only 30 dollars a month in food stamps or that you do not qualify for state help because you get 800 a month in ssc. that dont go very far. so some times you wind up doing things that you may not have thought that you would be doing in a million years. so why not open your hearts a little. give a little some thing if you have a little extra. most true panhandlers are greatful for what ever they can get. and i do mean what ever. i used to give out free pizza cards to panhandlers and 9 times out of 10 they took it happily. and if they got mad then i knew not to ever give to that guy again.
it s up to you to do the right things. so why not open your hearts a little. give a little some thing if you have a little extra. and if you dont want to then thats your decision but keep it to your self. why spread the hate and anger that you have festering inside of you???
Had Enough

Jonesborough, TN

#30 Nov 30, 2012
cancer patient wrote:
you know its sad to me to see so many people not caring about their fellow man kind. yeah some people prefer to beg and barrow then work and some times it is a bit of a pain but you never know what has happened to them, and to accuse all pan handlers of being addict or lazy is wrong. put your self in some of there shoes.
i have had to pan handle before and not for an addiction and not because i dont want to work but because i could not work. i was diagnosed with cancer not to long back. it caused my world to turn upside down. most of my money was spent on meds or on something to do with my cancer. i wound up in debt a quarter mil really quick. thank god i survived my bone marrow transplant and am now able to work but i spent many years not being able to work. and those who think getting money from the state or goverment is so bad, well you have never had a bad thing happen to you. some people are forced to take the extra help.like i was. its sad when people abuse the help they get i get that. but also remember those who are trying to do right.
state and goverment help does not cover every thing. try being told you only can get only 30 dollars a month in food stamps or that you do not qualify for state help because you get 800 a month in ssc. that dont go very far. so some times you wind up doing things that you may not have thought that you would be doing in a million years. so why not open your hearts a little. give a little some thing if you have a little extra. most true
panhandlers are greatful for what ever they can get. and i do mean what ever. i used to give out free pizza cards to panhandlers and 9 times out of 10 they took it happily. and if they got mad then i knew not to ever give to that guy again.
it s up to you to do the right things. so why not open your hearts a little. give a little some thing if you have a little extra. and if you dont want to then thats your decision but keep it to your self. why spread the hate and anger that you have festering inside of you???
The same right winged puppets that have a problem giving very small amounts to those at the bottom, don't seem to mind one bit to give HUGE FRIGGING amounts to those who are already wealthy. It's almost like they adore them because thier rich. Some even think that by showing the adoration to the wealthy, it will somehow secure themselves a spot in the new world order.

I'm still counting. Every single person who has complained about benefits to the poor are absolute cowards..it's unanimous....YUCK !!!
Wow

Southbury, CT

#31 Nov 30, 2012
Honestly, if somebody asks me for a couple dollars I gladly give it to them if I have it. I can remember a time I gave $3 to a person outside of Whites on South Roan. I'd been having a rough time financially at the time so I know how they felt. That Monday I got a phone call about a job I'd applied for, I got the job.. It's called Karma IMO..

I remember back when I lived in Sweetwater there was a homeless guy that hung out at K-mart with a sign. One day I bought a big ole roast beef sandwich from the deli, a sack of Doritos and a bottle of Pepsi and handed it to him out my drivers window as we exited the parking lot. The old mans eyes lit up and he graciously thanked me. It wasn't long after that the man was found dead behind the store near a swampy pond like area. I read his obituary and learned that he was a Doctor that fell mentally ill after losing his wife.

I've never regretted buying him a meal..
Wow

Southbury, CT

#32 Nov 30, 2012
Had Enough wrote:
<quoted text>The same right winged puppets that have a problem giving very small amounts to those at the bottom, don't seem to mind one bit to give HUGE FRIGGING amounts to those who are already wealthy. It's almost like they adore them because thier rich. Some even think that by showing the adoration to the wealthy, it will somehow secure themselves a spot in the new world order.

I'm still counting. Every single person who has complained about benefits to the poor are absolute cowards..it's unanimous....YUCK !!!
I really don't see this as a political issue as much as its a people problem. We can only blame the government for so much until we have to look in the mirror and see that our elected "leaders" are just a reflection of what our society as a whole is becoming..
hmm-maybe

Powell, TN

#33 Dec 1, 2012
Quit Supporting Them wrote:
... and isn't it strangely funny how most of those panhandlers/beggars are either talking on a cell phone, or smoking a cigarette simultaneously as they're holding up their "money pleading" signs. Hmmm... wonder how they can afford to have a cellphone and/or cigarettes.
Seems to me that the citizens who are sympathetic enough to throw those pandhandlers/beggars money are simply paying for those cellphones/cigarettes.
a man has been at the okolona exit all week holding up a sign and drives a nice silver car with NC plates on it well he also has moved into Erwin begging for money......my thing is with a nice car and driving from NC over the mtn.to beg for money.........it takes money to get over here.....right..he must not want to be seen in his own area
Wow

Southbury, CT

#34 Dec 1, 2012
hmm-maybe wrote:
<quoted text>a man has been at the okolona exit all week holding up a sign and drives a nice silver car with NC plates on it well he also has moved into Erwin begging for money......my thing is with a nice car and driving from NC over the mtn.to beg for money.........it takes money to get over here.....right..he must not want to be seen in his own area
There's no telling what kind of situation the man is in, he could just be a scammer or it may be more complex. It's kinda sad because the scammers make it rough on the people that really need help.
WWJD

Johnson City, TN

#35 Dec 1, 2012
Jesus said, "when you have given to the least of these, you have given unto me.".....the Bible also says " we sometimes entertain Angels amoung us," meaning they would not be known to us (Angels.) Maybe, just maybe, God is just checking the condition of our heart when we encounter these people? How does God judge sin? He judges it by what was the intentions of your heart relating to any action or inaction we have. What is the condition of your heart, and mine? For God so loved the World he gave..........
Had Enough

Jonesborough, TN

#36 Dec 1, 2012
Quit Supporting Them wrote:
... and isn't it strangely funny how most of those panhandlers/beggars are either talking on a cell phone, or smoking a cigarette simultaneously as they're holding up their "money pleading" signs. Hmmm... wonder how they can afford to have a cellphone and/or cigarettes.
Seems to me that the citizens who are sympathetic enough to throw those pandhandlers/beggars money are simply paying for those cellphones/cigarettes.
I just had another thought. Piney flats is a worthless wasteland of stupidity. Hiw about you crawl back into your little hole and shut your pie hole. Crawl into bed tonight with your 400 pound fat flageence riddled tub of lard that you call a wife and plan your yearly vacation to pigeon forge.m

Stick to carburetor s. this is where adults talk about real issues and we discount the voice of stupidity completely ..,hell you voted for Ron Ramsey...how stupid can you be?
Had Enough

Jonesborough, TN

#37 Dec 1, 2012
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't see this as a political issue as much as its a people problem. We can only blame the government for so much until we have to look in the mirror and see that our elected "leaders" are just a reflection of what our society as a whole is becoming..
Good point. My state rep is an idiot named Ron (The Bafoon) Ramsey. His head contains 8-1/2 pounds of solid stupid.
Wow

Southbury, CT

#38 Dec 1, 2012
WWJD wrote:
Jesus said, "when you have given to the least of these, you have given unto me.".....the Bible also says " we sometimes entertain Angels amoung us," meaning they would not be known to us (Angels.) Maybe, just maybe, God is just checking the condition of our heart when we encounter these people? How does God judge sin? He judges it by what was the intentions of your heart relating to any action or inaction we have. What is the condition of your heart, and mine? For God so loved the World he gave..........
I know that religious quotes usually get bashed on here and I'm by no means a devoted Christian but, I think the wisdom of the bible is a pretty good place to find guidance in a beneficial way to help promote a peaceful society. My favorite and what I believe to be the most important lesson any one can practice in life is the Golden Rule.. I know that I've needed help along the way in my life and if I can do something as simple as giving a couple bucks to somebody so they won't go hungry it's the least I can do.
WWJD

Johnson City, TN

#39 Dec 1, 2012
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that religious quotes usually get bashed on here and I'm by no means a devoted Christian but, I think the wisdom of the bible is a pretty good place to find guidance in a beneficial way to help promote a peaceful society. My favorite and what I believe to be the most important lesson any one can practice in life is the Golden Rule.. I know that I've needed help along the way in my life and if I can do something as simple as giving a couple bucks to somebody so they won't go hungry it's the least I can do.
Respectful, and well said.
pay attention

United States

#40 May 14, 2013
Seeing as I'm using my last monthly bill on the phone to do this, Ill be clear in what I have to say. I have been homeless a majority of my life. I was emancipated at 17 out of foster care. I would work two jobs to make ends meet and even stayed with friends who had just as much compassion as I see here. I am also epileptic and cannot get my license because I can't be seizurefree for 6 months since I can't get medicaid. in order to get medical insurance I had to file for disability in which I was rejected. Having given up on that, I decided to start a career in journalism where I became a fulltime student. with my student loans I paid property tax for a commercial building to help the homeless. however the person i was buying from allowed friends to stay who were addicted to hard drugs. Because my lil brother who had just got out of foster care was there with me, I didn't want him in that environment and I felt powerless to do anything about it because some people staying there are actually trying to better their lives. Moral of the story is this. Don't mark everyone in a bad situation off just because of one bad experience. Id rather be poor and happy then rich and miserable. Seeing as how my dream failed no matter how hard I worked, I want to start fresh somewhere. I've taken up panhandling to afford gas to go to new york where i preregistered to get pet vaccinations for my dog.

homeless
amy

Knoxville, TN

#41 May 15, 2013
Apparently the Food City by State of Franklin is a hot spot for panhandlers. Every single time I stop there, someone comes out of the blue asking for money. I usually give them some because I'm a sucker I guess. I'm a nurse and I swear I wonder if they watch for blue scrubs to target. I help homeless people all the time through my job and spend my own money to get them clothes and personal items, but it gets exhausting to do what I do at work, at my volunteer "work" and then to be asked for more every time I stop at the store before I can put it in park. Last time I went to the Food City parking lot, a girl came up and said she left her wallet in her diaper bag (subtle way to say she has a baby) and needed some money to get back home. I'm tired of the lies. The girl was young, alone, and every tooth in her head was rotten. I don't know what the answer is.
MissRN

Johnson City, TN

#42 May 15, 2013
I don't feel the need to give money to random people asking. There are SO many places to go to for assistance...I will tell them what they are but I sure am not giving money to people. I will donate to these charities and agencies instead(Salvation Army, Second Harvest food bank, etc etc) There are just way too many places to help people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LGBT and now Q? 10 min Really 85
Eldridge and Meredith caught by JCP 1 hr Pod 113
Eldridge, Wolfe, and Stout Elephants 1 hr Taxpayer 3
Unicoi Farmer's Market (Aug '13) 1 hr Jus sayin 3
Karen Seeley Anderson ...how many times has sh... 4 hr CBK 3
show biz pizza (Nov '08) 7 hr longbowhunter 9
Sheriff and Jailer at Rock Creek Park 10 hr Following his mentor 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jonesborough Mortgages