Valley View schools
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
jealous

Alpine, AR

#1 Sep 10, 2008
I am familiar with Valley View and cannot believe how jealous and ridiculous people are - yes, we won an award. I am so sorry no one is happy about that - you ALL have sour grapes. Yes, VV has blacks and hispanics and whites and so on. Valley View is an awesome school - so are the other schools in Jonesboro - we are proud you are good and are not going to apologize to anyone for success - we hope you all the best and are sorry for your crappy attitudes about our school.
warrier92

Lake Charles, LA

#2 Sep 10, 2008
get over yourself.
Whatever

Bossier City, LA

#3 Sep 10, 2008
Of course VV has african americans and hispanics, but just like the white students that go there, they are all from upper middle to upper class homes. It has nothing to do with the race of students. It has to do with the socioeconomic backgrounds that make up the population. There are no low-income apartment complexes in VV district (yet...haha). There is no government housing in VV district. So, yes, you won an award. An award that shows nothing about the quality of education that students gain, an award that tells nothing about the quality of teachers who are there. The award VV won was based solely on test scores. Any school can teach to the test and make a huge deal about the benchmarks. Personally, I'm proud to be part of a school who's student population is diverse. Our test scores may not be high enough to win the Golden Apple, but our students leave knowing tolerance for various races and classes of people. I would much rather my child attend a school where they are taught to appreciate diversity and where they learn how to solve problems and think outside the box instead of doing well on tests. So, I'm sorry you won an award, too.

Since: Sep 08

Small Town in NEA

#4 Sep 10, 2008
JHS has been recognized by Newsweek as one of the 2007 Top High Schools in the nation. This was national, not statewide and not based on "teaching to test". JHS graduated 2 National Merit Scholars in 2008.

Jonesboro High School students consistently score above state and national averages on college entrance tests. 79% of JHS seniors take the ACT; the local average ACT score is 21.9. Arkansas' average participation rate is only 59.9% with an average score of 20.3. 72% of JHS seniors attend college 50% of seniors receive scholarships

I've never seen a report of the college graduate rate of VV or percentage of students that score well on the ACT. I personally know one young physician that graduated from VV and one recent VV graduate beginning UAMS. I also know several college drop-outs and have heard of a few drug issues. Unfortunately regardless of socioeconomic backgrounds, teens doing drugs is not a good thing for any school district.
Went to VV

United States

#5 Sep 10, 2008
I graduated from valley view and let me just tell everyone how it was and still is( I have family there right now and a child) They are all about the money the poor have always been disrespected and the rich were treated golden but if you could see how strung out on meth the rich are you would flip out.. rich people no teeth LOL!!Anyway its still that way..What about Mr lindley telling his students if they dont win #1 in state he was leaving because he didnt want to be embarrased or the time he walked in on martina in the locker rooms and told her it was ok he has seen all shes got!!!! Furthmore I was told about an investigation ON VV about why the test is being taught????? Hummmm wonder if thats why they are # 1 in the state.. and i dont even want to get started on Pre-K.There are drugs there just like all other schools and if i came there everyday in my suit and tie my child would be treated like a diamond but i go in just as who i am !!
Who in Right Mind

Lake Charles, LA

#6 Sep 10, 2008
Whatever wrote:
Of course VV has african americans and hispanics, but just like the white students that go there, they are all from upper middle to upper class homes. It has nothing to do with the race of students. It has to do with the socioeconomic backgrounds that make up the population. There are no low-income apartment complexes in VV district (yet...haha). There is no government housing in VV district. So, yes, you won an award. An award that shows nothing about the quality of education that students gain, an award that tells nothing about the quality of teachers who are there. The award VV won was based solely on test scores. Any school can teach to the test and make a huge deal about the benchmarks. Personally, I'm proud to be part of a school who's student population is diverse. Our test scores may not be high enough to win the Golden Apple, but our students leave knowing tolerance for various races and classes of people. I would much rather my child attend a school where they are taught to appreciate diversity and where they learn how to solve problems and think outside the box instead of doing well on tests. So, I'm sorry you won an award, too.
Wow, so your saying I have no tolerance for other races. You got to be from another planet. You whole statment is racist. You are saying your kids (white kids) have a tolerance because they have to be with other races. essentially your saying they have to be with them and that makes them have TOLERANCE for them, because we all know white people can tolerate other races.
amazed

Russellville, AR

#7 Sep 10, 2008
Went to VV wrote:
I graduated from valley view and let me just tell everyone how it was and still is( I have family there right now and a child) They are all about the money the poor have always been disrespected and the rich were treated golden but if you could see how strung out on meth the rich are you would flip out.. rich people no teeth LOL!!Anyway its still that way..What about Mr lindley telling his students if they dont win #1 in state he was leaving because he didnt want to be embarrased or the time he walked in on martina in the locker rooms and told her it was ok he has seen all shes got!!!! Furthmore I was told about an investigation ON VV about why the test is being taught????? Hummmm wonder if thats why they are # 1 in the state.. and i dont even want to get started on Pre-K.There are drugs there just like all other schools and if i came there everyday in my suit and tie my child would be treated like a diamond but i go in just as who i am !!
I am simply amazed at the chip on your shoulder. It's just too bad you don't realize that you are not the only one at Valley View who isn't rich. You need to be careful about your accusations about Mr. Lindley. He is a good person and I personally do not believe he said those things.
Your wrong

Lake Charles, LA

#8 Sep 10, 2008
Went to VV wrote:
You committed liable there my friend, and unless you got some facts, then I would watch it. You just might be faced with a suit.

But none the less, here is a prime example VV has or did have messed up kids. Its just like every other school in the region.

I went to school there and drugs are not much of a problem at ALL. Do some take them, yes, but they are dealt with when found out. When you have people you are going to have people problems and no school or district is above that. Thats what I have been saying all along. People place VV up on a pedestal and they just look to knock them off. Let any other school attain what VV has and you will see things shift to them.

Instead of the region being proud, everyone looks to knock the other down. We as people hate to see some other entity have succes. The teacher that posted was a good example. She should be proud a Ark school is doing good close to her, but she has to come up with a 1000 excuses. And on top exposed her own racism.
confused

Lake Charles, LA

#9 Sep 10, 2008
Went to VV wrote:
Who is Mr. Lindley and Martina? And how do you know that's true?
Poor Me

Lake Charles, LA

#10 Sep 10, 2008
Went to VV wrote:
Oh poor little me, I was poor and I got treated different. I didn't get treated like the rich kids. I bet if it was known, you probably didn't even care about the school in the first place. I bet you went around with a chip on your shoulder and everyone knew it and that was why you were treated the way you were.

Everyone has a bitch or a gripe. Yes drugs are everywhere. Yes people get treated different to some degrees, no different than good ball players. But the test see no money, the test and grades see no race. You can blame race, you can blame these kids are rich, you can blame everything under the sun, but a kid has to study and a kid makes his own grade. Daddy's money can make a A out of a F.

Jonesboro graduate

Lake Charles, LA

#11 Sep 10, 2008
Your wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
You committed liable there my friend, and unless you got some facts, then I would watch it. You just might be faced with a suit.
But none the less, here is a prime example VV has or did have messed up kids. Its just like every other school in the region.
I went to school there and drugs are not much of a problem at ALL. Do some take them, yes, but they are dealt with when found out. When you have people you are going to have people problems and no school or district is above that. Thats what I have been saying all along. People place VV up on a pedestal and they just look to knock them off. Let any other school attain what VV has and you will see things shift to them.
Instead of the region being proud, everyone looks to knock the other down. We as people hate to see some other entity have succes. The teacher that posted was a good example. She should be proud a Ark school is doing good close to her, but she has to come up with a 1000 excuses. And on top exposed her own racism.
Libel, not liable. Geez.
careful there

Russellville, AR

#12 Sep 10, 2008
Went to VV wrote:
I sure hope Rob Lindley doesn't find out who you are. If you are that unhappy, take your child out of the district and put it with kids who are not rich. I'm sure there are a lot more rich kids in the Jonesboro district than in VV.
ShoeShe

Russellville, AR

#13 Sep 10, 2008
Your wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is exactly why Craighead County should get rid of Nettleton, Jonesboro, Valley View and Westside. Go to a County School system like Pulaski County. Any school is going to have its problems. However, if all resources were dealt with properly, just think of all the things that could be offered to this community if the entire community banded together...more money for arts, sciences, music programs, drama, educational extracurriculars, etc. Maybe the community could even offer real magnet schools for high school kids who are actually old enough to choose what they would like to pursue (instead of mommy and daddy picking the school based on societal reasons).

I graduated from JHS roughly ten years ago. Things have probably changed a bit, but as far as I'm concerned, I think we have everything to gain from going to a county school district. More students = More money. Increased Diversity = Increased Tolerance. Diversified Opportunities = Well-Rounded Graduates.

With a county school district, we may see more positive competition among students, thereby creating a more academically challenging and stimulating learning environment for all. Taxpayers would also save money by not having to support three unnecessary superintendents, as one would be sufficient.

If it is good enough for Pulaski County (much larger than Craighead County), then why hasn't anyone considered it for this community. It seems that we have our silly little niches, when what is really needed in order to be academically competitive is to provide a more fiscally responsible, diversified education for all students in Craighead County. Perhaps we might even see growing college retention and graduation rates among Craighead County high school graduates if we adopted a form of education that didn't involve teaching to standardized tests in order to heighten our "district's" average score to try to stand out in the community.

Maybe if high school students were afforded the opportunity to learn and grow in an environment built specifically with their needs in mind (i.e. magnet schools for high schools...Math & Science, Performance Art, Languages, etc.), those students might test well based on their enjoyment of education and a general thirst for knowledge. Perhaps this community could become a unified force in creative and constructive education, instead of four districts fighting to maintain some identity, while simultaneously leaving kids in the dust by not being able to afford (or by not being willing) to educate properly.
craighead

Lake Charles, LA

#14 Sep 10, 2008
I was sitting at a table at a restaurant last year next to a family of VV people. The teenage kids were bragging about the cheer they do at the basketball games, "Valley View Rich Kids!", "Valley View Rich Kids!". The family seemed like a nice family but the laughed like it was good natured. I would have been horrified if my kids were bragging about the kids all being rich. And I would said something to the kids right then. That is the kind of thing that makes folks dislike Valley View.
OhYeah

Lake Charles, LA

#15 Sep 10, 2008
Well, I went to Valley View. It was a pretty good school back then. Of course, every school has it "clicks" and they all treat each other differently! And recent knowledge of having my child in a Jonesboro Magnet school has me running...and I do mean RUNNING...back to Valley View with my child! When we moved into the Jonesboro School District, they were doing work that the kids at Valley View had done roughly 6 to 8 months beforehand...and in the same exact books! Valley View is ahead of other schools.....like it or not....you have to accept it!
hardwood

Mountain Home, AR

#16 Sep 10, 2008
VV?
Every morning I drop my kid off at the curb...I wonder.." why does the last teacher always look so pissed off? "..
Anyone with me?
Praises

Bossier City, LA

#17 Sep 11, 2008
craighead wrote:
The teenage kids were bragging about the cheer they do at the basketball games, "Valley View Rich Kids!", "Valley View Rich Kids!".
Man, I know it, it just drives us crazy too. All they are really doing is poking fun at Westside because they are the ones that started the chant, so they do it back just to aggravate them. And now others like POKIE have got in on it; they really don't care for us either. I wish we could lay a low profile but I think its just too far gone now. Between administration bragging on the Golden Apple Awards and the kids following suit like this, it's going to be a while before we shake this rap. We do try to tell our kids not to brag and be boastful, but everywhere we go people talk about just this sort of thing to us and why they don't like our school.

Well, like it or not, I'm very proud of our administration and teachers and how dedicated they are. Most give 110% effort and for the most part we have good kids that go there, and most are not rich, they are some just like at Jonesboro or any other school. However, whether you go to Arkansas, ASU, Jonesboro, or VV, teachers, administration, and most especially students and parents should be proud of their school and have school spirit. And one thing for sure, no matter who we play, whether it POKIE, Jonesboro, or any other school, we at my house have that Blazer Pride. Go Blazers.

On another note, the comments that were made toward Mr. Lindley are bogus and I for one do not believe a word of it. And what gives you the right to trash a person like that. If you got the balls to say something like that on here, say your name, give us a chance to critique you. You may think differently about bashing someone else then. Just by saying something like that on here tells me exactly what kind of person you are and everyone that reads that mess that you wrote knows it too.

Lake Charles, LA

#18 Sep 11, 2008
Jealous:

My children do not go to VV but I have plenty of friends whose children do. I am very proud of and for them for their accomplishments. The problem, I believe, is people like you. I mean really, when you get on here and make a post like that do you think you are helping the image of VV? You are part of the reason some people have "sour grapes".
mary

United States

#19 Sep 11, 2008
The subgroups of each school should be taken into consideration when comparing schools. Schools, and their test scores, should be compared to other schools that have the same make up of kids. A school's scores are divided into subgroups (white males/females, black males/females, hispanic males/females, free and reduced lunches, gt, special ed etc.) If a subgroup does not score high enough, then the school is on alert. A grade level must have at least 10 kids in a category in order to make up a subgroup. If there are not at least 10 kids, then no subgroup exist for that grade. The total score for the grade is for all subgroups combined. Some subgroups may and tend to score lower than others. For instance, children from lower socioeconomic background or hispanic children that have been in the country for a short while. If a school does not have these kids, or subgroups, then their scores tend to be higher. I really believe that schools should be compared to schools that have the same subgroups. This would give a real picture of how the school is doing.

I think Valley View is a great school and they are doing a great job educating their kids. It is unfair to compare Valley View to other area schools that have a different makeup of students. Just my opinion and you know what they say about those.
mom28

Richmond, VA

#20 Sep 11, 2008
I would like to say that my children go to VV. I went to Jonesboro growing up. I worked out of text books. Just like they still do today. Well, my children work out of text books as well. Every week we go over a different chapter, that they have a test on at the end of the week. If they are just teaching the test, wouldn't that mean no text books, no tests on each chapter. They don't make a text book that just goes over what is on the test. You guys really must be crazy to think that actually goes on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Oak Arkansas to play at Jonesboro Fair 3 min Just saying 2
Trump Is a Liar. Clinton Is Not. 4 min Who Knows Joe__ 15
Hillary Most Honest Candidate Ever 5 min Lexi 1,033
Satan 31 min SSOB 14
Yard sale 49 min Yard Sale Hunter 1
Sorry, Hillary, Trump is Right: America is in D... 1 hr guest 3
Trump recruits hackers? 1 hr Guest 18

Jonesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance