stars and stripes gymnastics

stars and stripes gymnastics

Posted in the Jonesboro Forum

just wondering

United States

#1 Jan 11, 2010
just wondering if anyone that goes to stars and stripes can tell me a little about it. My child has been going there for a little while but i am not seeing the progress that I would think she should have by now, I have NO complaints at all, they all seem very well trained and seem to take their time with the kids for the most part, just wondering how long does it take for a child to advance there to an actual competing team?
former gymnast

Greenwood, IN

#2 Jan 22, 2010
I know the gym and can tell you as a former gymnast and coach, not there, that they are a good gym. Some children progess slower than others, the staff there (Chas in batesville and MB in Jonesboro) are not going to put a child in danger by moving them to fast.
personally

Bossier City, LA

#3 Jan 22, 2010
It all depends on what your child best responds to. I took gymnastics from Chas in Batesville and progressed very quickly with him but a friend of mine did not and moved to another gym that was a little more harsh on her. If your child is happy there I'd keep her there, MB is great and I agree with the above poster that your child will not be put in danger and be progressed SAFELY according to her own abilities and readiness!
Mom

Lake Charles, LA

#4 Jan 22, 2010
My daughter has not moved up classes or anything there but she has improved in her coordination and skills as far as I can tell from watching her.
gym mom

Benton, LA

#5 Jan 24, 2010
How long is a "little while" in reference to how long your daughter has been going? They invite girls to be on team during a certain time of year, usually in the spring after competition season is over. It gives the new girls all summer to get ready for the next season.

All you have to do is ask her coach, and they can give you an idea if your child is showing the skills to be on team. Not everyone that takes classes gets asked to be on team. It takes a lot of time, dedication, and MONEY(!!!!), and they won't move someone up if they don't have the potential.

We have been on team for 5 years now, so if you have any more questions, I will be happy to help.
dude

Jonesboro, AR

#6 Jan 28, 2010
my aunt started that place. she seems very capable.
Computer

Dallas, TX

#7 Jan 31, 2010
Yea I don't think the girls are getting taught all the things they need to b and costs too much money for the teaches to b bad or mean. And if Chas is there u see the fake come out in the teachers. When he is not there, Its almost seems like a thrill for the coaches to b harsh on the kiddos, especially the girl that coaches the big girl comp team, u can tell she loves her authority a little too much. I will just b glad when she is gone and a few others, luckily me daughters teacher is nice to them
Computer

Dallas, TX

#8 Jan 31, 2010
Because believe me if some of those little girls coached my daughter we would b going round and round. I know the fundimentals of gym, tool it all my life, but never remember it being like it is now. When I was little we had competitions at the gym-where everyone got ribbons etc, did stuff at local bball games, the parade etc...nothing like that now... Better when gymnastic unlimited second when allisons
hmmm

Trumann, AR

#9 Jan 31, 2010
As a gymnastics coach from another gym I can tell you that gymnastics progress has peaks and valleys. When kids are beginners there are a lot of skills that they can learn quickly. As they progress, the skills require more strength and flexibilty and they will sometimes hit a plateau. In order to move forward they may have to do extra conditioning and flexibility work(homework) to get there. We live in a day and age where everyone wants everything quickly and with the minimal amount of time and energy to get it. Gymnastics is a challenging sport. If it were easy everyone could do it. I have had parents attend my program for years and ask for nothing but the kid to have fun. Sometimes their child wants to have fun, sometimes they want to excel. The child's desire has a huge impact on their success. I always tell my parents that I am simply the coach...I give them the tools...They determine whether they suceed or not. Some kids just love it. Let them love it. Gymnastics teaches foundations for so many other sports and life skills. You never lose by putting them in gymnastics. I have known Chas as a colleage for years. If you look a little harder you will see the product training in his gym. I would encourage you to set up an appointment with him to discuss your child's progress. We don't do it for the money primarily...though it is a business...we love the sport. Ask the owner or her coach and cut out this middleman stuff.
mom

United States

#10 Feb 23, 2010
Does anyone know if they start 3 year olds? When they have sign ups and what the price is? thank you!
Parent

Jonesboro, AR

#11 May 28, 2012
I have a 14 year who used to do gymnastics when she was little but we stopped for a while after she broke her ankle. She doesn't remember any of it. She doesn't remember how to do anything. Could they start her again with her being 14?
another mom

Jonesboro, AR

#12 Feb 27, 2013
yes they have a pre-gym class for 3 & 4 yr olds that is an hour long class once a week for abt $55 per month I believe.
grandma

Jonesboro, AR

#13 Feb 1, 2016
the place is really unkept, not clean , all of the pads are coming apart. The staff is friendly and caring, but ownership needs to make the place more presentable. Just go by and check it out and you will see what I mean.

Jonesboro,AR

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Top Google Trend: ‘Is Hillary Clinton Going To ... 13 min Mr Guest 13
Tinfoil Hat Teabaggers 15 min Mr Guest 24
Apologize to Hillary HERE === > 53 min Rupert B Jigglebo... 1
Hillary Nailed on Benghazi? (Mar '15) 1 hr Mr Guest 329
Ashley from Buffalo Wild Wings 2 hr visitor 5
teletech? (Sep '14) 3 hr wanderingI 9
RNR wheels tires (Nov '11) 3 hr Arkansas Common S... 38
Rupert B. -vs- Jihadi Joe; The Final Showdown 3 hr guest 85
Preacher Archie 4 hr Guest 26
Britain exits European Union 7 hr Ibbi 76