How likely is it to win a lawsuit re: verbal agreement loan?

Posted in the Jonesboro Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Guest

Blytheville, AR

#1 May 12, 2010
Ok so I foolishly lent this "friend" a substantial amount of money last year, someone that I trusted & believed was having a hard time, so we just verbally agreed they'd "pay me back as soon as they could". Well come to find out, they were & are making over twice as much I do and the sob stories they told me in order to get me to loan them the cash were all lies. Ironically, this person has since been avoiding me like the plague... I've decided to take them to small claims but I've never had to be in this situtaion, I want to make sure every detail is covered but so far I can't get a single lawyer to return my calls. I've definately learned my lesson, but I'm not just letting this scumbag laugh about what they've done. I mean, isn't this fruad? What should my next move be? Thanks in advance.
guest

Little Rock, AR

#2 May 12, 2010
You're wasting your time with small claims court. Even if you win there is no enforcement of the court decisions. That's why fraud is so rampant in Jonesboro. Your problem is in thinking you could trust someone and now thinking that we have a government to help out when you've been openly cheated, defrauded or robbed by deceit. If you talk to the police they'll tell you this crime is a civil matter. You have no Rights in the eyes of the so-called government. Your Rights exist only in the Constitution. And the Constitution is irrelevant to the so-called government.
My advice...learn your lesson so you don't make this mistake again.
guest

Russellville, AR

#3 May 12, 2010
you probably need a witness. you will have to prove they owe you money. I doubt you can win without something on paper like an IOU unless the person admits it. they can claim they don't owe you anything, and don't know what you're talking about, you will have to be able to prove otherwise.
MiketheApostate

State University, AR

#4 May 12, 2010
Verbal contracts are binding in Arkansas. That being said, it's going to be pretty hard to prove that was the case. If you can find America1st on, he knows quite a bit more about the law than your average yahoo on here.
guest

Little Rock, AR

#6 May 12, 2010
......I gave the answer to both problems posted in this thread in post #2. It's easy to win a case in small claims court because the person you are suing probably won't even show up. But as I pointed out, there is no enforcement of the court decisions. You will still be the Lone Ranger in ever getting a cent of your money back. Your other option besides learning your lesson so you don't get victimized again, is to pay an attorney to take specific legal action based on the facts of your case.
lesson learned

Bossier City, LA

#9 May 12, 2010
Where are the Lone Ranger and Tonto when you need them? Hi Ho Silver!
lesson learned

Bossier City, LA

#8 May 12, 2010
guest wrote:
......I gave the answer to both problems posted in this thread in post #2. It's easy to win a case in small claims court because the person you are suing probably won't even show up. But as I pointed out, there is no enforcement of the court decisions. You will still be the Lone Ranger in ever getting a cent of your money back. Your other option besides learning your lesson so you don't get victimized again, is to pay an attorney to take specific legal action based on the facts of your case.
Small Claims court isn't free so I'd be out filing fees and court costs as well as the original loan. Why throw good money after bad?
Tony Soprano

United States

#10 May 12, 2010
"I know a guy named Vinnie that might take care of that ting your talking bout, but it would be just between you and me "capiche?"

That's the way I would take of it.

“It's just a gathering of crows”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#12 May 12, 2010
If you ever have to call someone on a phone over a sticky situation, remember this~ In the state of Arkansas, only one person needs to know that the phone call is being recorded.

So as long as YOU know you are recording the conversation, it can be used in court...the other person doesn't have to know (Until you bust them out in court LMAO!!). It is always wise to protect yourself.

Also, it is true that if you have nothing in writing agreeing to a loan it will be your word against theirs if they deny it. Therefore it will be very difficult to be able to prove anything to be awarded a settlement. However, if you call that person and they admit to the loan, you can use that against them~ you get the idea?
Guest

Blytheville, AR

#13 May 12, 2010
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I really see no way of settling this besides getting a court involved even though I never thought it'd come to this, the whole thing just makes me sick... this is my thanks for trying to be a good friend I guess!!
To "lesson learned", while I agree that you have a right to out her on topix, you might have better luck making a new thread of your own with her name as the title.. my so called friend is pretty well known also and it's pretty dumb of them to do something like this when they need spotless reputations, huh?
lesson learned

Bossier City, LA

#14 May 12, 2010
Guest wrote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I really see no way of settling this besides getting a court involved even though I never thought it'd come to this, the whole thing just makes me sick... this is my thanks for trying to be a good friend I guess!!
To "lesson learned", while I agree that you have a right to out her on topix, you might have better luck making a new thread of your own with her name as the title.. my so called friend is pretty well known also and it's pretty dumb of them to do something like this when they need spotless reputations, huh?
Oh I'm just getting started.

“Im a realist”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#15 May 12, 2010
nice guys finish last
guest

Forney, TX

#17 May 12, 2010
See if you can secretly record the other person about the loan. That will really hold up in court.
They sell small recorders everywhere.
just wondering

United States

#19 Jun 11, 2010
so, what is it with women in Jonesboro, and meeting guys on dating sights, and lying and manipulating men and going after men or for men with money, and claim to be a Christian?

Does this chick work at Craighead Electric too?
citizen for abused women

Little Rock, AR

#20 Jun 14, 2010
Sounds like "lesson learned" is a person that likes to abuse women. I say grow up boy and become a man be4 u end up in jail.......
guest

Victoria, TX

#21 Jun 14, 2010
citizen for abused women wrote:
Sounds like "lesson learned" is a person that likes to abuse women. I say grow up boy and become a man be4 u end up in jail.......
By what twisted logic is asking someone to begin making payments on a loan 'abuse'?
guest

Victoria, TX

#23 Jun 15, 2010
2Sides to EVERY Story wrote:
2) Listen to his tone...this is why he got added to the bankruptcy...he's had a meaness towards me since I offended him with a Christian mail forward at Christmas...he is an Athiest. Since that time he has avoided any contact from me.
So your side of the story is that you should not have to repay a loan because the person who loaned you the money didn't like your Christmas card?
guest

Victoria, TX

#24 Jun 15, 2010
You say he began "demanding the loan immediately."
LL said that he tried to get you to pay "even a token payment" of 25 dollars.
Which is true, your version or his?
I would agree that expecting to be repaid all at once would be unreasonable, but refusing to make a 25 dollar a month payment when you are working is indefensible.
look in the mirror

Victoria, TX

#25 Jun 15, 2010
2Sides to EVERY Story wrote:
...he's had a meaness towards me since I offended him with a Christian mail forward at Christmas...he is an Athiest. Since that time he has avoided any contact from me.
Why did you do that? Do you send offensive e-mails to all your friends? And then call them 'mean'? Do you think that it is OK to treat an "Athiest" poorly because they're not Christian like you?
guest

Victoria, TX

#26 Jun 15, 2010
2Sides to EVERY Story wrote:
1) 5) Slander: statements of untruths which cause harm, and these postings certainly fit.
6) Thank God for all the email transactions which will be helpful in a court of law.
I don't see where you have shown any of his postings to be untrue. You have a different interpretation, but you do seem to agree with the facts of the case.
You borrowed money and refuse to pay it back.
In fact it looks like you may have used the loan to pay for the bankruptcy. You probably knew that you were going to file when you took the loan. That would be more like fraud then thievery, but it doesn't make the "thief" label untrue.
You really seem to think that a court is going to give you more of this man's money. He should counter-sue you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LOL ferguson! 9 min Fo Show 95
Razorbacks, One More. 41 min Arkansaw 1
News You Won't See On Fox 42 min guest 2
President Obama Is The Only Grown-up In Washington 57 min Barton Farley 10
Stilhaus Kitchens Reviews 1 hr makankonate 1
Sick of race-traitors 1 hr WhiteDevil 6
POOF Sacred Trey IS GONE 1 hr guest 15
murder suicide in Bono today. 1 hr Neighbor 48
Breaking; Grand Jury Decision 4 hr raw 125
H&R Block Emerald Loan (Dec '10) Wed Nth 144
Jonesboro Dating
Find my Match

Jonesboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jonesboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jonesboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

NFL 2:01PM
Shaun Phillips claimed by Indianapolis Colts
NBC Sports 2:11 PM
Shaun Phillps lands with Colts
NBC Sports 3:58 PM
Rams defense expects Chris Long back this week - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:04 PM
Chris Long appears likely to return for Rams this week
NBC Sports 5:57 AM
Report: Indy ready for "remote possibility" of Rams game moving