Does anyone know how to get rid of "p...

Does anyone know how to get rid of "prickers"

Posted in the Jonesboro Forum

Gardening 101

Lake Charles, LA

#1 Apr 19, 2010
Well, I don't know the name of the week but my kids call them "prickers". They cant even walk through parts of my yard barefoot or with flip flops without these things sticking in their feet. Have tried all kinds of stuff to kill it but don't know what it is or how to get rid of them FOR GOOD!!!! Anyone else have those pesky weeds?
Why judge

Lake Charles, LA

#2 Apr 19, 2010
well....typo WEED no week

“I'm mean because you're dumb.”

Since: Mar 09

Jonesboro, AR

#3 Apr 19, 2010
Do you mean cuckleburs?

Ozark, MO

#4 Apr 20, 2010
Gardening 101 wrote:
Well, I don't know the name of the week but my kids call them "prickers". They cant even walk through parts of my yard barefoot or with flip flops without these things sticking in their feet. Have tried all kinds of stuff to kill it but don't know what it is or how to get rid of them FOR GOOD!!!! Anyone else have those pesky weeds?
I think you are describing cockleburs. The prickly parts your kids are stepping on are actually the seeds from prior years. The seeds are kind of woody and stiff, so even if you kill and prevent the weed from regrowing, the seeds will still be laying around your yard for a long time. The best way to get rid of the seeds is to burn off your yard in the spring.

It will likely grow back in the course of the summer, and it will produce prickly seeds again when the days start to get shorter. You can control the new weeds during the summer by spraying your yard with something like weed-be-gone.

Here's a good article on the plant.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/fac...
I know

Jonesboro, AR

#5 Apr 20, 2010
You are talking about what is commonly described as "sand burs". Not sure that is the right spelling. The best way to get rid of them is to spray a good herbicide in the yard such as round-up or a generic version. The only worthwile yard grass is burmuda or ryegrass if shaded. Burmuda has yet to begin to grow this season so I would suggest spraying in the next couple of weeks. The old co-op on Dan avenue, I think it is called Sanders. Cornerstone? herbicide is only $40.00 for 2-1/2 gallons and mixes 2 oz. per gallon of water.
Gardening 101

Lake Charles, LA

#6 Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the info. I think I will try burning the old stuff off and starting new as described.
wtf

AOL

#8 Apr 21, 2010
If you really want to get rid of "prickers" I suggest turning lesbian.
omg

Bradenton, FL

#9 May 13, 2014
The above comment is hilarious!
Garibaldi

United States

#11 May 13, 2014
I thought someone had made a name for the opposite of "baggers".
Justin

Rogers, AR

#12 May 13, 2014
Garibaldi wrote:
I thought someone had made a name for the opposite of "baggers".
They did they did is called GOP.
Liberal Trash

United States

#13 May 13, 2014
Gardening 101 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I think I will try burning the old stuff off and starting new as described.
Your best bet would be to vote republican.
Diana andrews

Madison, WI

#14 Apr 18, 2015
Is there a home remedy to kill them?

La Vergne, TN

#16 Apr 18, 2015
Barton, and disclaimer at it again? Hose them down with some Koch and your prickler problem is over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Samuel 12:11-12 5 min forgot something 24
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 9 min guest 35,402
A Simple List of Facts 58 min Random Username 30
Craig Rickert 4 hr Guest 18
Dentures 4 hr Real Deal 10
How do you change your location on topix? (Aug '11) 6 hr Yes please 74
My wife 7 hr Stupid 27

Jonesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance