“truth is a three edged sword”

Since: Jan 11

Babylon 5, Epsilon Eridani

#42 Jan 8, 2011
guest wrote:
Whole Hog used to suck but ever since they re-opened last summer with new management they really improved the food and the service. The place was even remodeled. It's a shame that it closed down, it was in a terrible location.
they most likely could have done better if they were in a different location. If you did not know they were there, you would never find it.

As I previously posted, I really like dexters but I honestly cannot see how it stays open. Just about everytime I ate there, I was their only customer. The cars parked in front of the doors are usually the employees.

Demos is okay, I just dont like eating in what feels like a shed. I want windows.

Couches was okay - they did have a really good breakfast.

I always heard the place on Dan was good. never ate there because it did not look like there was a place inside to sit and eat.

The best bbq I ever had was the branding iron up in Farmington Mo. Their thick pork steak was delicious and it covered the whole plate. The sides were double portions compared to most. You could have fed three with one serving.

I keep meaning to give the place in strawberry a try.
forum

Jonesboro, AR

#43 Jan 9, 2011
Curious wrote:
Does anyone know why the Whole Hog Cafe closed down?
Not enough business. Whole Hog is a great chain but they were doomed when they hired Rodney Rogers to run the place when they opened. It was a disaster. They made a couple of good attempts to build their business back up, but couldn't recover from the disaster that RR created for them.

Jonesboro, AR

#44 Jan 9, 2011
The best I ever had was at the Public Eye in Memphis, I think it is closed now.
someone

Maumelle, AR

#45 Jan 9, 2011
score wrote:
I used to like Lewis BBQ, why did it close down?
They had to close because they couldn't get any decent people to work for them. Just a bunch of young racist punks who refused to wait on anyone who was white. The people who owned the place were good but, when the management was not there, there were problems. I know from personal experience.
howl yes

Walnut Ridge, AR

#46 Jan 9, 2011
What about the wolf den, I saw in a magazine that they had one of the biggest barbecue sandwiches in the country!

Fort Worth, TX

#47 Jan 10, 2011
Where is the wolf den?
Gus Campbell

Jonesboro, AR

#48 Jan 10, 2011
It's funny how the South can't even do its own culture well. They have better barbecue up North than in Jonesboro. Places like Famous Dave's put this town to shame. Hell, I've had better barbecue in Vermont!
howl yes

Walnut Ridge, AR

#49 Jan 10, 2011
Guest wrote:
Where is the wolf den?
I have no idea, I've just read about it. I would guess on campus or near campus on Johnson.

Jonesboro, AR

#50 Jan 10, 2011
I thought this thread was about "why the Whole Hog closed" Not....my favorite BBQ place is in bumfunk.
Gus Campbell

Jonesboro, AR

#51 Jan 10, 2011
guest wrote:
I thought this thread was about "why the Whole Hog closed" Not....my favorite BBQ place is in bumfunk.
In order to have a comprehensive understanding of why the restaurant closed, we need to examine the wider contextualization, which includes maintaining organizational excellence as well as upholding regional traditions and standards. It's unfortunate that I need to point this out to you.

I've never heard of Bumfunk, but it's of no surprise to me that you find their fare satisfying.

United States

#52 Jan 10, 2011
the wolfs den is downtown its what used to be A"S restaurant,they have great ribs there
YEAHMAN

Trumann, AR

#53 Jan 10, 2011
Gus Campbell wrote:
It's funny how the South can't even do its own culture well. They have better barbecue up North than in Jonesboro. Places like Famous Dave's put this town to shame. Hell, I've had better barbecue in Vermont!
and it's too bad you aren't still there.
Gus Campbell

Jonesboro, AR

#54 Jan 10, 2011
YEAHMAN wrote:
<quoted text>
and it's too bad you aren't still there.
It certainly is. Because there they understand what barbecue is about.
porky

Jonesboro, AR

#55 Jan 10, 2011
Couch's bbq was the greatest, oh and Ole Hickory in Walnut Ridge.
Kraut

Jonesboro, AR

#56 Jan 10, 2011
porky wrote:
Couch's bbq was the greatest, oh and Ole Hickory in Walnut Ridge.
If they were the best then why did they go out of business?
Answer: Because they weren't so good.
Way Back

Bono, AR

#57 Jan 10, 2011
I started my barbeque experience, way back, in the early 70s, with "Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous". I was impressed, at the time, but things change and so did I. The barbeque around here is, pretty much, all the same. It would take a big difference in style, seasoning, and atmosphere to keep customers coming back. If someone could come up with something similiar to 'Charlies' recipe, it might be just the ticket to success. Well, OK. You would have to have decent management and employees, too. This day and time, that's a hard combo to find.
againstallodds

Jonesboro, AR

#58 Jan 10, 2011
I miss Gridleys too best bbq shrimp anywhere!!

Little Rock, AR

#59 Jan 10, 2011
forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Not enough business. Whole Hog is a great chain but they were doomed when they hired Rodney Rogers to run the place when they opened. It was a disaster. They made a couple of good attempts to build their business back up, but couldn't recover from the disaster that RR created for them.
Amen to that. He was a horrible manager, and never paid his bills on time.

Jonesboro, AR

#60 Jan 10, 2011
Gus Campbell wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to have a comprehensive understanding of why the restaurant closed, we need to examine the wider contextualization, which includes maintaining organizational excellence as well as upholding regional traditions and standards. It's unfortunate that I need to point this out to you.
I've never heard of Bumfunk, but it's of no surprise to me that you find their fare satisfying.
1. A comprehensive understanding of why the restaurant closed is not to be gained by having unnamed people of questionable culinary backgrounds state "My favorite place is such and such". If one is to attempt to examine the wider contextualization, the defining attributes of the BBQ must be examined and compared. The "My favorite place is..." statement does not take into account regional traditions, standards or organizational excellence in manner that can be evaluated except in the abstract. Thus, it is merely one's opinion, for which there is a place in this forum to create "opinion polls".
2. I am not from Bumfunk, but would expect their fare to be better than that of the Whole Hog, as nothing could have been worse. Which leads me to the topic at hand i.e. "Why the Whole Hog Restaurant closed".

Jonesboro, AR

#61 Jan 10, 2011
Kraut wrote:
<quoted text>
If they were the best then why did they go out of business?
Answer: Because they weren't so good.
um, neither have gone out of business. couch's is open, and ole hickory reopened in a diff. location after the fire.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FOX News defends torture 2 min Seee 228
Why do people watch Fox news 5 min colonel angus 16
Nicepak closing 7 min Seee 81
jonesboro finest (Aug '13) 15 min john boy 23
Debate: Gay Marriage - Jonesboro, AR (Jul '10) 16 min Brian_G 1,444
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 17 min Nothing Between Y... 30,434
what if bacon came from kittens? 18 min john boy 62
How do men really feel about their mistress? (Mar '13) 44 min lovemarriedmen 283
Jesus 52 min guest 408
Jonesboro Ar. Topix Hero of the Year - 2014 2 hr Not Quite Here 89
65% of Children Live in Households on Federal A... 2 hr Fo Show 50
Jonesboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jonesboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jonesboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jonesboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:00AM
Full AFC, NFC Playoff Outlook, Week 16 Predictions
NBC Sports 6:35 AM
Whitehurst: May not look like it, but we can win
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
ESPN 7:36 AM
Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions