Beauty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

Judged:

Why is everyone so quick to jump on anything to do with WF?
"A rising tide lifts all ships" If he can help secure industry and retail and gumment money for this area, don't you understand that in addition to lining his own pockets (a.k.a. capitalism) he is also increasing our standard of living and economic possibilities?

OK, now let me have it haters!
xfuzz

Russellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

Judged:

Before the haters get fired up, think about this. Jonesboro has been blessed with some great leaders, such as Herbert McAdams, Charles Frierson Jr. and many others. Wallace Fowler is a solid, unselfish leader. Who till take his place in the next generation ?

Bossier City, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

Judged:

Richard Goggins
Memorex

Ruston, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

Judged:

Jonesboro community leaders over the decades have done a mediocre job at attracting productive, well-paying industry to this region. There has been no effort to brand the region a potential tech center, research city, or green corridor--instead, Jonesboro seems content to rope in a factory now and then, and does so more by accident than by design. Incidentally, many top industries refuse to locate here because how will they convince the best and brightest to relocate to a place nicknamed "Fort God," where a trip to a 24-hour Wal-Mart is the extent of nightlife, and Taco Bell is considered a cultural experience.

Let's not even speak of retail and fast-food--focus on attracting these jobs puts the cart before the horse; people can't support themselves on these wages, and these types of jobs will emerge naturally after well-paying skilled jobs move in.
sportin

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

Memorex wrote:
Jonesboro community leaders over the decades have done a mediocre job at attracting productive, well-paying industry to this region. There has been no effort to brand the region a potential tech center, research city, or green corridor--instead, Jonesboro seems content to rope in a factory now and then, and does so more by accident than by design. Incidentally, many top industries refuse to locate here because how will they convince the best and brightest to relocate to a place nicknamed "Fort God," where a trip to a 24-hour Wal-Mart is the extent of nightlife, and Taco Bell is considered a cultural experience.
Let's not even speak of retail and fast-food--focus on attracting these jobs puts the cart before the horse; people can't support themselves on these wages, and these types of jobs will emerge naturally after well-paying skilled jobs move in.
well, just driving thru Walnut Ridge on my way to Jonesboro, I have noticed that WR isn't doing too well either......???!uhmmm
Memorex

Ruston, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

sportin wrote:
<quoted text>
well, just driving thru Walnut Ridge on my way to Jonesboro, I have noticed that WR isn't doing too well either......???!uhmmm
Walnut Ridge seems to be doing well enough for Sudden Link to put one of their servers there for Jonesboro customers. Like me.

Dumbass.
irregardless

Beauty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

Judged:

Memorex wrote:
not many industrial corporations look at how many titty bars are in an area when thinking about relocating. the leadership in Jonesboro made a concerted effort 10-15 years ago to recruit food-based industry (i.e. Frito Lay, Conagra, Nestle, Millard, Post) because these industries are less cyclical and more recession proof. It has taken almost a year for the current recession to begin to show effects here, as opposed to other areas like NW Arkansas.

The fact that Chili's, Hilton, and now Olive Garden are locating in a market well below their own minimum population quidelines is proof that thsi strategy has paid off for Jonesboro and Northeast AR. Compare the sales at Turtle Creek to other national malls and we are still doing well in contrast to the hundred of retail developments facing foreclosure.

Nobody forces anyone to go to church.

Now, do I need to re-ask my original question about WF, or is it all about class envy?
irregardless

Beauty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

Judged:

Also, I really don't think Wallace has any interest in attracting more Fast-food outlets, Quite the contrary.
Jane

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

I think you could re-ask the question for a week. Very few who visit this forum care enough about that topic to respond. The response given about Jonesboro was more along the line of a discussion that this forum would provide. We care more about the town than we do to "hate" on the business leaders who have successful lives here.

“the hammer”

Since: Oct 08

n a

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2009

irregardless wrote:
Why is everyone so quick to jump on anything to do with WF?
"A rising tide lifts all ships" If he can help secure industry and retail and gumment money for this area, don't you understand that in addition to lining his own pockets (a.k.a. capitalism) he is also increasing our standard of living and economic possibilities?
OK, now let me have it haters!
Yeah,,that is why you pay a extra .10cent on the taco bell menu here than anyother franchise cuz wally is greedy!!!!!!!!!!
mcgruff

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

furniture store fire

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

Memorex wrote:
Ignorant ^
dog chalk

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

Judged:

mcgruff wrote:
furniture store fire
you mean many furnature store fires. it earns a nice living.
mcgruff

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

empty boxes

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

dog chalk wrote:
<quoted text>you mean many furnature store fires. it earns a nice living.
Thats what happens when the deed is stored to close to the insurance!!!!!!!!!
dog chalk

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2012

May 15, 1968 @ 8:46 PM - Tornado + Fire
guest wrote:
<quoted text> deed insurance!!!!!!!!!
Memorex

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2012

@ WWII's end - Jackson TN & Jonesboro AR 1950 population same. Jackson TN 5 times Jonesboro 2010. Jonesboro was allowed to grow only as fast as Blue blood, silk stocking crowd had mortgage money. Jonesboro mentality - "If U ain't from Jonesboro/Craighead - U ain't welcome". Send Ur female children to A-State. Locals will 'jump up down' on them - send them back - U become a grand.
Memorex wrote:
Community leaders @"Fort God,"
Sherri Bearden

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Wallace Fowler is a good man ad has given a lot of money away to his community. ASU, Jonesboro High School just to name two. People who say these awful things don't know him! He could just keep his money but no he cares about NE Arkansas!
bark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

i know of wallace fowler , however he is only one person in the scheme of things . their are many people that never get any credit for prosperous conditions that exist in jonesboro especially , this is especially true of farmers ranchers and just everyday ordinary folks that spend most of their income in jonesboro and have their meager savings in jonesboro banks .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

147 Users are viewing the Jonesboro Forum right now

Search the Jonesboro Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What is your deepest secret? 3 min guest 19
milita heading to the border 4 min KIKI 428
Are you supposed to tip the car hops at Sonic? (Sep '08) 7 min guest 543
White flags over bridge 16 min Guest 9
Welkum&go 17 min Guest 38
Kroger-indian Mall? (Jan '13) 22 min I like Kroger 28
Lauren Frogge 25 min Lauren 75
Baggers Used to Bltch about Jack Booted Thugs b... 3 hr Sacred Trey 39
Mike Ross says AR Men Murder More Women than in... 3 hr Duke Sky Walker 39