Skate park in Jonesboro

Posted in the Jonesboro Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Investor

Oak Hill, WV

#1 Aug 25, 2010
I am interested in everyone's opinion of a NEW SKATE PARK in jonesboro. I am a investor and had a client come to me asking for some venture capital to built a nice indoor/outdoor skate park. Do you all think that there is enough interest in this area to support something like that. Now i am not talking about some lame rinky dink redneck skate park. This guy had his t's crossed and i's dotted. He knew his stuff! Obviously it would be supported mostly by kids/teens. But could be something worthwhile. He mentioned having afterschool programs and summer camps. What do you all think? good idea?

BTW... i know jonesboro already has a skate park.. It is a city owned/maintained park that is a sad excuse for a skate park.. This would be privately owned and operated. I would ensure it was built and maintained the RIGHT way.

Please dont get on here and troll my thread with your sinic bs either.. Please just give me an honest PROFESSIONAL opinion.

Thanks in advance.
blaggard

Clovis, NM

#2 Aug 25, 2010
Investor wrote:
I am interested in everyone's opinion of a NEW SKATE PARK in jonesboro. I am a investor and had a client come to me asking for some venture capital to built a nice indoor/outdoor skate park. Do you all think that there is enough interest in this area to support something like that. Now i am not talking about some lame rinky dink redneck skate park. This guy had his t's crossed and i's dotted. He knew his stuff! Obviously it would be supported mostly by kids/teens. But could be something worthwhile. He mentioned having afterschool programs and summer camps. What do you all think? good idea?
BTW... i know jonesboro already has a skate park.. It is a city owned/maintained park that is a sad excuse for a skate park.. This would be privately owned and operated. I would ensure it was built and maintained the RIGHT way.
Please dont get on here and troll my thread with your sinic bs either.. Please just give me an honest PROFESSIONAL opinion.
Thanks in advance.
i'd say yeah, do it, but remember it's going to be booming at first, then drop off to your regulars, after a couple of months, unless you can somehow make it modular, folks around here will get bored with it, but I love the idea of a decent skate park around here
Investor

Oak Hill, WV

#3 Aug 25, 2010
Well the setup the guy proposed to me was a modular design so that the park could be setup differently.. He said he would change it for special events (rail jams, skate competitions) and yearly.
like it

United States

#4 Aug 25, 2010
I know a lot of people that would be thrilled to see something like this here. I also think a bunch more kids would pick up skating if we had a park with a safer location and better equipment.
Investor

Oak Hill, WV

#5 Aug 25, 2010
Yea the "skate park" we have now is a sad excuse.. And i agree on the Safe Place.. That park is far from Safe
Its All You

Bossier City, LA

#6 Aug 25, 2010
The skatepark we have now is advanced for most novice skateboarders. That doesn't mean it sucks. People have stopped in from all over the Country to ride it. If you want to build a kiddie skatepark, good luck. The price point to break even in 5 years will be more than 90% of the young people here will ever pay.

The city still holds over $25,000 dollars it refuses to spend improving Allen Park, from a court case ie the Downtown DIY park destruction. But I digress.
Bad investment in this economy, bottom line.
like it

United States

#7 Aug 25, 2010
Its All You wrote:
The skatepark we have now is advanced for most novice skateboarders. That doesn't mean it sucks. People have stopped in from all over the Country to ride it. If you want to build a kiddie skatepark, good luck. The price point to break even in 5 years will be more than 90% of the young people here will ever pay.
The city still holds over $25,000 dollars it refuses to spend improving Allen Park, from a court case ie the Downtown DIY park destruction. But I digress.
I, too, have noticed the city hasn't used this money as was promised. They probably no longer have it and are just betting everyone will forget about it, since the only real victims were kids.
Investor

Oak Hill, WV

#8 Aug 26, 2010
Its All You wrote:
I have no clue of the level of difficulty our current park offers. However, i do notice that there are only 3-4 obstacles (pool, 2 rails, and a box). You put more than 5-10 skaters on it at once and sombody is getting hurt. The intentions of the new skate park are not "Kiddie". The park would offer all levels of riding. Contain, 1/4 & 1/2 pipe, multiple rails, fun boxes, foam pit, etc.. I would guess that this is much more than a "kiddie" skate park.

Agreed it would take some major marketing and client retention to keep the $ coming in, but i also think that a nice, safe park would attract new skaters, bikers to the sports.
Old School Skater

Russellville, AR

#10 Aug 27, 2010
One more thing...LOL Would there be an area for longborading? Just wondering.
Old School Skater

Russellville, AR

#11 Aug 28, 2010
Investor wrote:
Thanks in advance.
I'm all for it. It would give youth as well as older guys (like myself) something to focus on as a meeting place and outlet. I've been hoping Jonesboro would eventually build a complex of sorts. I will do all I can to make it successful. I'll start by trying to get word out someone is looking to build.
Just saying

Lake City, AR

#12 Aug 28, 2010
Investor wrote:
Yea the "skate park" we have now is a sad excuse.. And i agree on the Safe Place.. That park is far from Safe
I also agree. You will have to find a way to control the clientel, through pricing, or hire an off duty police officer, for security. LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION! This will have a large effect on customers, both good and bad. The good ones, will come out, regardless of price.
sk8ter

Jonesboro, AR

#13 Aug 28, 2010
Get me a skate board and I will do some cool jumps
Investor

Oak Hill, WV

#14 Aug 30, 2010
All sounds good. The safety of this facility would be of no question. It would be a privately owned and operated business. The clients would have a 3 strike policy. F-up 3 times and you are permanently banned. I would encourage the owner to install video cameras through out the facility for monitoring.

Location is the hardest item i have. Do I buck up and pay hefty price for something over by the new mall?(has its benefits and downside). or do i find a place more towards the center of town? Or put it close to one of the schools (JHS)?

Tough questions....
Snooker

State University, AR

#15 Aug 30, 2010
My idea: Turn the old Indian Mall into an indoor skate park. The infrastructure's already there...just need some renovation and innovation. You'd need to employ some security, and you could reopen the food court and an arcade. It's centrally located and would offer year-round entertainment.
hmmm

Oak Hill, WV

#16 Aug 30, 2010
I agree ^^^ but they are wanting WAAAYYYY too much for that building AND it floods! Dont need water ruining my investment. But then again everything in that area floods! LOL

good idea though.

I like the year round entertainment thing.. My idea on an indoor park is so that people could skate year round.. It is way to hot in the summers here to be outside skating.. and no one wants to skate in 30 degree winters. And an arcade would be a cool idea.
old school skater

Russellville, AR

#17 Aug 30, 2010
hmmm wrote:
I agree ^^^ but they are wanting WAAAYYYY too much for that building AND it floods! Dont need water ruining my investment. But then again everything in that area floods! LOL
good idea though.
I like the year round entertainment thing.. My idea on an indoor park is so that people could skate year round.. It is way to hot in the summers here to be outside skating.. and no one wants to skate in 30 degree winters. And an arcade would be a cool idea.
Skating year round would be awesome! I've also thought that opening a retail space within the park would provide direct access to skate related items as well as create local employment. The space could also host local and traveling acts as a venue to perform. Local artists could hang art or paint the walls to personalize/own the park as Jonesboro's own. Grassroots action equals personal ownership, and people would feel it was "their" skate park- one they'd be willing to fight for rather than some cold outside capital venture. I personally want this park, and would love to contribute where I can and I believe others would also. Check with local businesses for more support...used be surprised who might want to support your vision.
Its All You

Bossier City, LA

#18 Aug 30, 2010
My final say on your plan. Been there done this. I don't believe you are truly serious. Mainly because research and experience shows this concept is a money pit and never profitable. Less than 1% make it past the 5 year mark. Cash flow will never cover your exspense in this demographic or economy. But if you got money to throw away the sk8rs will love you for a minute.
citizen

Georgetown, TX

#19 Aug 30, 2010
I think it would be wounderful
Old School Skater

Russellville, AR

#20 Aug 30, 2010
Its All You wrote:
My final say on your plan. Been there done this. I don't believe you are truly serious. Mainly because research and experience shows this concept is a money pit and never profitable. Less than 1% make it past the 5 year mark. Cash flow will never cover your exspense in this demographic or economy. But if you got money to throw away the sk8rs will love you for a minute.
ANY venture is a risk. The economy is cyclical as is skating as is ...well everything in this life. Obviously, I'm partial to the opening, but I also owned a business this year when I was told it wouldn't last- and we're still here and looking to grow. It's all about possibilities not negativities. Regardless, the youth that don't hunt or play one of the "big three" need something to do also.
Old School Skater

Russellville, AR

#21 Aug 30, 2010
...the bit about "owned" was a type-o. I intended to say "opened", and have owned the business for eight months with at least 5 other businesses in the same field.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Suck on it Slow Witted CCC Mod 39 min Rupert B Jigglebo... 20
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 39 min BARNEYII 39,515
Dem calls for all NFL players to kneel during n... 1 hr Polterguest 125
Steroids 1 hr Polterguest 14
Anthony Weiner and Eric Holder 1 hr Huma Abadin 1
Jonesboro cop fired 1 hr Wesley Pipes 9
Hillary Clinton Says She’s The Modern Day Paul ... 5 hr AlwaysLaughingAtU 56

Jonesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance