Comments
301 - 320 of 331 Comments Last updated Mar 22, 2013

Kemp, TX

#315 Feb 11, 2013
JONESBUR wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you keep blaming the poor students? You seem to have a bias against them? The effects of free lunch should largely disappear among students at college. If you earn a high enough score to get into college then you should be able to compete. Further, you still have no idea how statistics work. One or two students could get a large scholarship and skew the average higher.
No, you are the one who has no idea, you keep wanting to compare apples to oranges, not statistically relevant. It is also possible that more students averaged more scholarship money per student, this giving you more money. There have have National Merit finalist from JHS in 2011, and 2 in 2010, 0 from VV or Brookland. So, I guess you have that going for you.
REALLY

Jonesboro, AR

#316 Feb 11, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are the one who has no idea, you keep wanting to compare apples to oranges, not statistically relevant. It is also possible that more students averaged more scholarship money per student, this giving you more money. There have have National Merit finalist from JHS in 2011, and 2 in 2010, 0 from VV or Brookland. So, I guess you have that going for you.
No, you haven't a clue. Way to use the example of 3 students to extrapolate to the entire population.

Kemp, TX

#317 Feb 11, 2013
REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you haven't a clue. Way to use the example of 3 students to extrapolate to the entire population.
Nope, just proves my point of more winners at JHS, that's what was stated earlier, more winners.

Jonesboro, AR

#318 Feb 11, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
And your point is? JHS also has a larger percentage of students on free or reduced lunch, I wonder if there is any correlation. Please tell me the number of National Merit scholarship winner VV and Brookland have, or the average amount of scholarship money per student? I don't question the larger number of remediation rate, do you question the scholarship numbers?
JHS has more students than VVHS does right now, so comparing scholarships would prove nothing. If you could find it by percentage it would be different. Plus most scholarships consider the money the parents have to send their children to college. JHS has the poverty ratio on their side there.
If the students are getting free meals, then they are not going hungry. That is not an excuse not to do your best in school and improve your future.

Kemp, TX

#319 Feb 11, 2013
REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to ignore a socioeconomic group to make yours. lets compare comparable groups.
POM POM

Jonesboro, AR

#320 Feb 12, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
How exactly?
Look a Valley View kid has never in the history of the school ever took a gun and shot and killed their own. Westside has a problem. Its problem is they try to compete with VV, and they are so damn jealous. They have a chip on their shoulder big time. I know of several post on here where kids where claiming extreme bullying. I wish the courts or some large media outlet would have investigated why those kids felt compelled to go shoot other kids. What triggered it. They investigated Columbine. Bullying was a cause for that shooting. A kid a few months ago was asking questions for a term paper and suggested a few things and Westside people blew up. Well they can think Westside is all good, but bullying is a problem. And yes I know its at all schools, but when your school has this extreme action taken by a kid, or kids, then they really need to take a close look at things.

I do have a solution for Westside, stop worrying about VV and deal with your own problems. Stop worrying about our kids behavior and worry about your own. Lord knows after murder on a campus, you would worry about your own kids behaviors. But seems all Westside wants to do is try to make VV look bad, which in turn will make them look better. That day will never go away, Ipray for the families of those lost kids. I hope the school takes actions to prevent such a thing from ever happening.

But bashing V.V. is not helping your cause or your kids. You have good kids, we all do. But a few slip in the cracks, and it could ruin lives. Bantering at a game is not a problem.Let the kids be kids. Its not harming anything and adults can keep things in check. Yo think when DUKE and KENTUCKY play against each other, the fans should set there and not banter each other or the players. Go to a ASU game and listen to those fans. Watch Ken Stuart yell at the refs. It's normal, its rivalary. So what a kid walks over and grabs a sign. Good grief, its not the end of the world. The kid got in trouble. It was handled. Thats one incident, lets look at Adult Westside parents and count the numbers of who has been banned from gyms, because they took things way to serious.
HardTruth

Jonesboro, AR

#321 Feb 16, 2013
My son went to VV. he is now at Vanderbilt with many different scholarships and grants that when all put together made us have to pay no out of pocket expenses and no loans. He is not included in the statistics because he had to wait two years to go to school because of personal health problems. I did not go straight to school right out of high school because I did things out of what is considered the acceptable order. I got married straight out of high school. I had my first child before I started school and the second during. I got Pell grants and multiple scholarships that covered every school related expense. I would not have fallen into my high school's statistics. My son's father went to school even later. He used the Army to pay for his education and become an officer. We are divorced, but I am proud of his accomplishments. He is in training/school to become a General right now. You can only become a General during war times. He did his deployments guiding his troops and now has the opportunity to become a General and is jumping to it. His college would not count on his high school's statistics either. Not all students go to college straight out of high school. That means they are not part of the statistics for their high schools. To me that means the statistics are worthless!!!

Mckinney, TX

#322 Feb 16, 2013
HardTruth wrote:
My son went to VV. he is now at Vanderbilt with many different scholarships and grants that when all put together made us have to pay no out of pocket expenses and no loans. He is not included in the statistics because he had to wait two years to go to school because of personal health problems. I did not go straight to school right out of high school because I did things out of what is considered the acceptable order. I got married straight out of high school. I had my first child before I started school and the second during. I got Pell grants and multiple scholarships that covered every school related expense. I would not have fallen into my high school's statistics. My son's father went to school even later. He used the Army to pay for his education and become an officer. We are divorced, but I am proud of his accomplishments. He is in training/school to become a General right now. You can only become a General during war times. He did his deployments guiding his troops and now has the opportunity to become a General and is jumping to it. His college would not count on his high school's statistics either. Not all students go to college straight out of high school. That means they are not part of the statistics for their high schools. To me that means the statistics are worthless!!!
Unless you failed to put the high school you graduated from on your college admission form, you are in the statistics. Oh, becoming a general, you have to be nomimated by the President, there isn't a school, and war or peace times have no bearing on your appointment. I really wonder where you dream this stuff up.

Hot Springs Village, AR

#323 Feb 16, 2013
kvs wrote:
<quoted text>How many NMFinalists has JHS had? What is their average scholarship money?
How many NM Finalists do ANY of the area schools have this year? The answer--2!! They're both from NHS!

Mckinney, TX

#324 Feb 16, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
How many NM Finalists do ANY of the area schools have this year? The answer--2!! They're both from NHS!
Congrats, lots of good kids from Nettleton, some are smart, too!

Little Rock, AR

#325 Feb 16, 2013
POM POM wrote:
<quoted text>Look a Valley View kid has never in the history of the school ever took a gun and shot and killed their own. Westside has a problem. Its problem is they try to compete with VV, and they are so damn jealous. They have a chip on their shoulder big time. I know of several post on here where kids where claiming extreme bullying. I wish the courts or some large media outlet would have investigated why those kids felt compelled to go shoot other kids. What triggered it. They investigated Columbine. Bullying was a cause for that shooting. A kid a few months ago was asking questions for a term paper and suggested a few things and Westside people blew up. Well they can think Westside is all good, but bullying is a problem. And yes I know its at all schools, but when your school has this extreme action taken by a kid, or kids, then they really need to take a close look at things.
I do have a solution for Westside, stop worrying about VV and deal with your own problems. Stop worrying about our kids behavior and worry about your own. Lord knows after murder on a campus, you would worry about your own kids behaviors. But seems all Westside wants to do is try to make VV look bad, which in turn will make them look better. That day will never go away, Ipray for the families of those lost kids. I hope the school takes actions to prevent such a thing from ever happening.
But bashing V.V. is not helping your cause or your kids. You have good kids, we all do. But a few slip in the cracks, and it could ruin lives. Bantering at a game is not a problem.Let the kids be kids. Its not harming anything and adults can keep things in check. Yo think when DUKE and KENTUCKY play against each other, the fans should set there and not banter each other or the players. Go to a ASU game and listen to those fans. Watch Ken Stuart yell at the refs. It's normal, its rivalary. So what a kid walks over and grabs a sign. Good grief, its not the end of the world. The kid got in trouble. It was handled. Thats one incident, lets look at Adult Westside parents and count the numbers of who has been banned from gyms, because they took things way to serious.
Those two little psychos that shot and killed adults and children were monsters plain and simple. Kids have been bullied since schools began but shooting innocent children and teachers at random is the act of severely twisted individuals and has no place in this discussion.

Jonesboro, AR

#326 Feb 16, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, just proves my point of more winners at JHS, that's what was stated earlier, more winners.
Winners? When did getting our children the best education possible become a game of winning or losing? If that's the case, JHS's record of 6.7% drop out record and 79.7% graduate record fails to VV's 2.3% drop out record and 100% graduate record. I forgot the percentage of college graduate records for both schools, but if I remember correctly(I usually do). VV's percentage was so much higher they weren't in the same playing field as JHS. Did you ever think that the number of students in your district puts your school higher up on the list to get that particular scholarship? It's true. I've said this before, but will say it again. My son could not go directly to college because of serious health reasons. He had to wait two years. He is at Vanderbilt now with grants and many different scholarships. I've had to pay nothing out of pocket for his University! Since he had to wait, he is not on the statistics for his high school. That is true for many students that decide to take a year off before going to college. They work and stay home before they start. None of their scholarships will be in the statistics for their high school either. So that system is severely flawed!

Jonesboro, AR

#327 Feb 16, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you failed to put the high school you graduated from on your college admission form, you are in the statistics. Oh, becoming a general, you have to be nomimated by the President, there isn't a school, and war or peace times have no bearing on your appointment. I really wonder where you dream this stuff up.
I didn't dream anything up. I know what my ex told me and know where he is. There is some training or school he had to do first to become a general. Maybe he missed that training needed because he was an officer leading his troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. His wife has shown me the papers sent to him about becoming a General. If that chance was placed in front of any military officer, he or she would jump on it, just like my ex. And your wrong about the war and peace times unless it's a special appointment.

Jonesboro, AR

#328 Feb 16, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to ignore a socioeconomic group to make yours. lets compare comparable groups.
Now you want to compare equal socioeconomic groups? You sure didn't before by your posts.

United States

#329 Feb 17, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't dream anything up. I know what my ex told me and know where he is. There is some training or school he had to do first to become a general. Maybe he missed that training needed because he was an officer leading his troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. His wife has shown me the papers sent to him about becoming a General. If that chance was placed in front of any military officer, he or she would jump on it, just like my ex. And your wrong about the war and peace times unless it's a special appointment.
You'll either have to go to OCS, or have graduated from West Point or VMI to be nominated, yes nomimated by the President, and confirmed by the Senate to reach the rank of General in the Army. Why you say such stuff before you even bother to look it up is crazy.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/armygen...

United States

#330 Feb 17, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you want to compare equal socioeconomic groups? You sure didn't before by your posts.
Wouldn't that be a fair way to judge it? It still came down to one school having more finalists than the other. If you exclude the free lunch group, both schools have around 1600-1800 students based on the enrollments.
haircutter

Jonesboro, AR

#331 Feb 17, 2013
FormerStudent wrote:
It will not matter.... Whom ever they get will be better than Radius Baker ever thought about being.. Poor excuse for a leader....
Radius is retiring next year but people will miss him for what he hads done for that school.stupid & bad parents,one board member,wanna be superindents or the ones hiding behind keyboards that are downing mr Baker on here but when he retires watch thar school start slowly slipping then u beg him back.

Jonesboro, AR

#332 Mar 2, 2013
Does anyone know how many applicants they have for the postion? According to the Sun, deadline is March 15th.

Jonesboro, AR

#333 Mar 2, 2013
I don't know?!?

Jonesboro, AR

#334 Mar 2, 2013
She does do an excellent job

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Riots in Missouri 10 min Arkansaw 688
Don't Tread On My Obama Care 19 min squeezers 46
Hillary Clinton, a mistake for 2016 (Apr '13) 23 min American Consevative 2,861
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 30 min squeezers 29,639
TX Militia, your everyday run of the mill KKKkw... 31 min Sacred Trey 1
Wrongful Termination Lawyer 35 min arkansas 6
Is Andrew Shipman John Shipman's son? 43 min u coward 28
Chief Yates 3 hr guest 266
KKK raising money for ‘hero’ Ferguson cop 4 hr squeezers 52
Where is Dianna Davis going? 6 hr fried 20