First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Michael

Jonesboro, AR

#1 Feb 13, 2013
Heard Obamas raising minimum wage to $9 an hour. If so it's about time.
IsThisNameTaken

Jonesboro, AR

#2 Feb 13, 2013
Get ready for more unemployed people then. Businesses are GOING to protect their profit margin by whatever means necessary.
MustBAMistake

Springdale, AR

#3 Feb 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
Nine bucks by 2015.

By then $100.00 an hour won't be enough.

Paragould, AR

#4 Feb 13, 2013
Really OK think about the raise. That is a 17.25% increase. So what will go up lets see gas will go up at least 17%. Food prices will go up! A $1 burger will now cost $1.18. All prices will rise they have to. You pay check will increase by 17 % but so will the amount of taxes you pay. For some it could place them in a higher bracket. IF wages are increased 17 % across the board then the amount of tax revenue will increase 17%. Hear the numbers if you make $290 a week (40*7.25) your taxes are about $40 a week. IF wages go to $9 you will make $360 a week (40*$9). This will place you in a higher bracket 22%. So you will pay $80 a week in taxes. While your pay increased 17% your tax contribution increased 100%. Look carefully. You will have to spend more to get the same services you now have and you will be paying more in taxes.
Ok4Them

Springdale, AR

#5 Feb 13, 2013
guest wrote:
Really OK think about the raise. That is a 17.25% increase. So what will go up lets see gas will go up at least 17%. Food prices will go up! A $1 burger will now cost $1.18. All prices will rise they have to. You pay check will increase by 17 % but so will the amount of taxes you pay. For some it could place them in a higher bracket. IF wages are increased 17 % across the board then the amount of tax revenue will increase 17%. Hear the numbers if you make $290 a week (40*7.25) your taxes are about $40 a week. IF wages go to $9 you will make $360 a week (40*$9). This will place you in a higher bracket 22%. So you will pay $80 a week in taxes. While your pay increased 17% your tax contribution increased 100%. Look carefully. You will have to spend more to get the same services you now have and you will be paying more in taxes.
So, what racist...it's $9.00 an hr.
Ok4Them

Springdale, AR

#6 Feb 13, 2013
Ok4Them wrote:
<quoted text>
Gives me a headache trying to get into the Leftist mindset.
Wow

Blytheville, AR

#8 Feb 13, 2013
guest wrote:
Finally, someone that understands economics. I too, want more money but at what cost? If I get a raise, then my employer raises his prices, which means other people pay more. If grocery store employees get a raise, then the store must raise the cost of there products, to offset the raises. If you (or I) buy anything from that grocer, we are paying for that employee raise with the increased cost to us. If that store is using a product from our employer, they are paying for our raise, in turn, we are paying the increased cost of their product so they can pay for ours. It's a vicious and confusing circle but it all comes back down to US. The more we want, the more it will cost us, in the long run. Personally, I would like to see if bartering could work better. Somebody is always looking to get rid of something or trade for something else. You just have to know where to look. It won't work for everything, but it could work for a lot.
qwe

Memphis, TN

#9 Feb 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
Increasing the minimum wage will only increas unemployment and decrease productivity. It is a very bad itea and will make things much worse.

Since: Feb 13

Booger Holler

#10 Feb 13, 2013
If minimum wage had kept up with inflation it would be over $10/hr.
AllRightsReserve d

Springdale, AR

#11 Feb 13, 2013
Let's see:

One silver dollar = one paper dollar 1913 a.d.

One silver dollar = 31.5 paper dollars 2013 a.d.

The middle class has been under attack for a long time.
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#12 Feb 13, 2013
Ok4Them wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a racial , here's what happens: let's say you make 10 an hour and min wage is 7.25. Then min wage goes up to 9. What happens is the purchasing power of the dollar falls to match. Meaning a gallon of gas will go to 5.50. Minimum wage workers will be able to purchase the same amount they did before, but everyone above minimum wage will be able to purchase less. That seems like a pretty easy theory, let's translate it. Let's say you sell pot, and your source can get you a lbs a week. You sell it for 100 bucks an ounce, all is well. Now your neighbor moves in and he can get 10 lbs a week, and he sells his for 75 an ounce. You get less money for the same thing because over saturation made your commodity worth less. Does that make sense?
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#13 Feb 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>Finally, someone that understands economics. I too, want more money but at what cost? If I get a raise, then my employer raises his prices, which means other people pay more. If grocery store employees get a raise, then the store must raise the cost of there products, to offset the raises. If you (or I) buy anything from that grocer, we are paying for that employee raise with the increased cost to us. If that store is using a product from our employer, they are paying for our raise, in turn, we are paying the increased cost of their product so they can pay for ours. It's a vicious and confusing circle but it all comes back down to US. The more we want, the more it will cost us, in the long run. Personally, I would like to see if bartering could work better. Somebody is always looking to get rid of something or trade for something else. You just have to know where to look. It won't work for everything, but it could work for a lot.
That's not entirely true. If the minimum is raised, prices go up. If the grocery store gives a raise to a stock boy or cashier or whatever because they get say 25% more work done in the same time everyone else does, then the store saves money in the long run, and everyone wins.
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#14 Feb 13, 2013
Pro education wrote:
If minimum wage had kept up with inflation it would be over $10/hr.
Minimum wage increasing causes inflation. When was the last time you made minimum wage?
AllRightsReserve d

Springdale, AR

#15 Feb 13, 2013
It will be a long HOT summer.

Since: Feb 13

Booger Holler

#16 Feb 13, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
Minimum wage increasing causes inflation. When was the last time you made minimum wage?
Stop watching FOX news and get an education.
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#17 Feb 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>Finally, someone that understands economics. I too, want more money but at what cost? If I get a raise, then my employer raises his prices, which means other people pay more. If grocery store employees get a raise, then the store must raise the cost of there products, to offset the raises. If you (or I) buy anything from that grocer, we are paying for that employee raise with the increased cost to us. If that store is using a product from our employer, they are paying for our raise, in turn, we are paying the increased cost of their product so they can pay for ours. It's a vicious and confusing circle but it all comes back down to US. The more we want, the more it will cost us, in the long run. Personally, I would like to see if bartering could work better. Somebody is always looking to get rid of something or trade for something else. You just have to know where to look. It won't work for everything, but it could work for a lot.

If our dollar was backed by a stable commodity, we wouldn't have these problems. Our money is backed by government debt right now, so we are bartering with empty promises. This is another example of the liberals exploiting less educated people for their votes.
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#18 Feb 13, 2013
Pro education wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a college education, which required me to take macroeconomics and learn about these things. So lay out your case and prove me wrong, without your petty little insults.
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#19 Feb 13, 2013
Pro education wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm waiting patiently for you to rewrite the book on economics, but until then is it safe to assume, pro education that your education ended shortly after you learned to say "Well you're a doo-doo head"?
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#20 Feb 13, 2013
Pro education wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon what's holding you up on this, I thought you co-authored The Wealth of Nations? Did you make a statement that you can't back up you sniveling liberal moron?
disappointed

Caddo Mills, TX

#21 Feb 13, 2013
You first! With legitimate references. I don't care about your opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bobbie jo busby of sunbelt finance corruption ... 23 min Terry Schiavo 2
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 26 min Organic Food Lover 10,029
AR Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in A... (Oct '10) 30 min squeezers 439
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 35 min quest 29,867
Office bar and cesspool 1 hr guest 4
What should Chelsea Clinton name her baby? 1 hr lol 8
Tom Cotton ... Let's have a look 1 hr Ummm 71
ISIS: Which Way Do We Go 7 hr Billy 96
I think I may be moving ... 11 hr Ummm 128
I have to boycott Arkansas State Football. 12 hr guest 64
•••
Jonesboro Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••