Bernie

New Haven, CT

#62 Mar 12, 2010
Secret Squirrel wrote:
I too am waiting for the Pro Discs. I need three in my c spine. I have BCBS and they refuse to cover it. So, I wait. Anyway.........I have had several of the cervical epidurals and I suppose different folks get different results. It took about 48 hours for the epidurals to kick in and work on me..........and then they lasted approximately one week. They are quite costly also, especially not to get longer relief than that. They may help others better though. They are just pain and inflammation relief though, so won't last forever on anyone.
I am anti-drug, but after suffering through this ordeal, I can truly see now how some people get addicted to pain medication. I probably would too, but I have a two year old and a teenager anddon't want to be a zombie and miss out on them. Does anyone else that is waiting for surgery have a problem concentrating on anything else because the pain takes almost your entire mind? Sometimes I get to the point where I don't think that I can take it anymoe.
I know exactly where your coming from.I have 5 bad disc's, three are torn and leaking, among other things. I need a three level disc replacement and insurance won't pay for it. We're now waiting for the FDA to approve 2 level and will fuse the lowest disc. I know I'll never be pain free, I only want to be able to tolerate the pain and live a somewhat "normal" life. Getting there is the big question.. How much can a person take? I count myself lucky because I can work from home but as you know sleep disruption, and depression takes a toll. I'd feel like a total looser if I go on disability so I keep doing whatever it takes to continue working. This means taking the pain meds. My advice to you is do the same. the doctors are so afraid to prescribe you'll only get enough to make a few hours of the day tolerable so you may get physically dependent but being a "zombie" won't be an issue.
Good luck to you.
Bernie
Ben

Anchorage, AK

#63 Mar 17, 2010
Hi all, I had no idea that so many people have the same problem. I had my L5S1 blow out had two terrible back surgerys and was conned into have a back stimulator put in which doesnt seem to help with the pain without the pain meds which I would love to get off. With the pain, depression and the meds getting off the couch and putting around is a big achievment. Living in AK I heard there are not alot of options since I have had 2 failed surgeries and lots of scar tissue...anyone know who I can call or what can help surgery or otherwise? I am open to any suggestions? Workers comp still picks up the bill for the medical so far but since I cant work I am financially in big trouble since W/C said I am stable. Any help would be a big help.
mandy

Tampa, FL

#64 Mar 19, 2010
curious wrote:
My doctor wants me to have a lumbar disc replacement at L5-S1 using the new FDA approved Pro-disc L. However, I have Humana insurance and they have denied my first two appeals. I am going to try to appeal a third time but am not very optimistic Humana will change their decision. I am now scheduled to have a fusion in late October. I love to run (marathoner) and am scared I will not be able to be a long-distance runner or run at all if I have this type of surgery. Anyone with any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
I had the surgery in august of 09. L5 also. I am now free to do the things I love again. My neurosurgeon said that there is no limits now as to what I can do...So I sure you will run again! I have united healthcare and they refused three different appeals..we ended up going through my husbands' ties at work and jumping through some hoops to get ins to pay but it was worth the three month wait!
mandy

Tampa, FL

#65 Mar 19, 2010
I would reccomend this surgery to anyone that is having pain issues or movement impairment.
ron

Rialto, CA

#66 Apr 22, 2010
curious wrote:
My doctor wants me to have a lumbar disc replacement at L5-S1 using the new FDA approved Pro-disc L. However, I have Humana insurance and they have denied my first two appeals. I am going to try to appeal a third time but am not very optimistic Humana will change their decision. I am now scheduled to have a fusion in late October. I love to run (marathoner) and am scared I will not be able to be a long-distance runner or run at all if I have this type of surgery. Anyone with any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
I also am awaiting disc replacement surgery. My Dr seems very confident about it's outcome. The only thing im worried about besides the surgerys success is How long will it last and what is the possibility of slippage? Ive read that if there is a slippage problem or if the devise wears out and another operation needs to be performed to replace that disc, that it can be life threatening. There are all your vital organs that are moved aside and then back again to do this surgery. If it is done properly by a qualified sugeon and staff then very good chance that all will go well. The problem is if there is a possibility of a second surgery to fix or replace the disc the second time is much more dangerous. Also fears of the disc slipping out on the anterior side can danmage vital organs. Someone told me better to live live pain than to face the possibility of death. Thanks alot buddy. So at this point im very undecided. Unfortunately this disc replacement has only been around 7 years or so so there is not enough to see the long term outcome.

Lake Charles, LA

#67 Apr 22, 2010
Once u have back surgery your never the same again. Have dr myska tell u theres nothing she can do for u before u do it. What have you got to lose. She has kept me out of surgery for years and relatively pain free.
petey

United States

#68 Apr 22, 2010
Had disc replacement surgery in Jan.09 between L5-S1,it slipped.Had another surgery to fuse it back in place in Nov.09. I've never had a day without severe pain since.I am now on pain medication daily and can't as much pick up a gallon of milk or ride over 20 miles in a car.I urge you to think twice before surgery. I've heard good results and some bad.Guess i'm just lucky. s
burger

Lake Charles, LA

#69 Apr 23, 2010
not sure why
petey

United States

#70 Apr 23, 2010
Bad bone density.
Jake

Aurora, IL

#71 Apr 25, 2010
I had L5-S1 fused and a Prodisk placed at L4-5 (09/2009). I have pain ("3-6") on the right side of the lower back. I can increase and irritate the pain more with movement. I really aggrivated the problem 3-4 weeks ago after working harder at therapy. Pain increased to an "8". I had my six month follow up and Dr. noted the hardware had moved slightly.

I am careful not to irritate the pain and have improved. In general I feel good with easy day to day activity.

I feel / worry that I had a procedure (prodisc) done which will need surgical intervention again someday. Maybe the fusion should of been done. I think I just prolonged the inevidable...fusion.

Thoughts?

Fort Worth, TX

#72 Apr 26, 2010
I had a fusion on C5/C6. I was pushing for the pro-disc, but my insurance (Unitedhealth Care) would not pay for it. I used a neurosurgeon from NEA, and he was WONDERFUL!!! I am still recovering, but the change in my quality of life is marvelous. I tried Dr. Myshka before I saw my neurosurgeon, and she said that her course of treatment would work, but $500 later, still no relief. Surgery should be considered at every angle before you jump in, but it has made a world of difference in my life.
Kelly

Newark, DE

#73 Apr 28, 2010
curious wrote:
I had the pro disc L surgery on my L5 S1 it costs 55k total. The surgery was very painful and unsuccessful. The disc is stuck in a open bend position and is poking me in the back. Not only am I in more pain now but my facet joint is deteriorating from the disc not being in correctly. The doctor now wants to remove it and do a fusion. Apparently the disc removal is very dangerous and I have not been able to find any doctor who has actually removed one. So if anybody has heard of a doctor that can remove a pro disc L please let me know. Good Luck if you decide to do it. But do some more research because it is very risky in the US since it is so new here. Unless you live in Europe where they have been doing it for 20 years I would rethink it especially since I can't find a doctor in the US who can remove it now that I have it in there.
Kelly

Newark, DE

#74 Apr 28, 2010
James rosch wrote:
READ THIS!!!!!!!! I am writing this from Germany from a clinic I am staying at. I got the prodisc replacement surgery in 2007 from a doctor who has done hondreds of these. I recieved the surgery in
Homburg Saar at the universitaat klinikum from Dr. Eckhard Fritsch.
In Europe they have about 10 years more experience with prodisc lumbar replacement than the states. THE RESULTS ARE NOT GOOD!!!! In fact no doctor in Europe except a few holdouts who are probably in Syntheses pocket will use these on any lumbar disc spaces and NO ONE uses them at L5S1. The wide range of movement allowed by an articulating disc at this level causes severe eventual trauma. Or in worst case scenarios (such as mine) compete dispalcement. Get the level fused. The hips compensate at that level for any movement and the fusion will only strengthen the ability for sport ergonometric motion. If anyone doubts this do your research! You will see I am right. I am facing a removal procedure with the highest mortality rate of any orthopedic surgery. It is called the "orthopedic equivalent of open heart surgery". I am scared to death and hope to save anyone the paiin I have gone through. This is also the reason why your insurance will not cover prodisc lumbar replacement. My email is jamesrosch@yahoo.com if you have any questions. I will email you a picture of my X-Ray.
Good luck!!
Do you live in Germany? I have had the surgery done here in the US on my L5S1 and it was a huge failure and now I have to have it removed. I emailed you
Kelly

Newark, DE

#75 Apr 28, 2010
fluffy wrote:
I was sent to Gera and let me tell you!he has no empathy for women,I swore if I got off the table able to walk out of his office,I would never set foot in there again,and I did not and I will not.I hurt worse after he worked on me.Dr Tonyman worked on my back and the pain running down my leg was gone when I woke up and that was 4 months ago and still no pain.Dr. Tonyman is GREAT!
Did you have the Pro Disc L replacement?
Kelly

Newark, DE

#76 Apr 28, 2010
Roger wrote:
I don't have all the figures yet, But for 3 days hospital, the spine DR, and pre-op lab work, 141,000. That of course is not including the anesthesioligist or the other surgeon who did the opening and closing. Still recovering, 16 days post-op.
wow that is a lot. I was in the hospital for 6 days after the pro disc l surgery and I got a bill from insurance saying it was 55k and my portion was $500
Kelly

Newark, DE

#77 Apr 28, 2010
mandy wrote:
I would reccomend this surgery to anyone that is having pain issues or movement impairment.
Who did your Pro Disc L surgery and have they ever removed one?
L5 S1 ProDisc Aug 26th

Denver, CO

#78 Jul 2, 2010
Got approved to get the PRO DISC Surgery in AUG 2010. This has been a long five year struggle with the military and VA pretending nothing was wrong with me ! I hope it goes well. I have tried everything... Im all in at this point. Any advice anyone ?
Kathleen

Scottsdale, AZ

#79 Sep 16, 2010
curious wrote:
My husband has it and it is the worst thing we ever did. Please do your homework. Studies show at L5 S1 there is no benefit for disc replacement as there is not much motion at that level normally. Once you get the ProDisc L you can't ever get it out! This left my husband at 32yrs unable to do anything. Some days he can't get off the couch. Prior to surgery he was a competing black belt in Judo and a Heavy equipment mechanic. It destroyed us financially and mostly mentally! Please research, the studies to get FDA aproval are unethical and State of NJ sued the makers and won.
Kathleen

Scottsdale, AZ

#80 Sep 16, 2010
My husband has it and it is the worst thing we ever did. Please do your homework. Studies show at L5 S1 there is no benefit for disc replacement as there is not much motion at that level normally. Once you get the ProDisc L you can't ever get it out! This left my husband at 32yrs unable to do anything. Some days he can't get off the couch. Prior to surgery he was a competing black belt in Judo and a Heavy equipment mechanic. It destroyed us financially and mostly mentally! Please research, the studies to get FDA approval are unethical and State of NJ sued the makers and won.
rich from nj

Hammonton, NJ

#81 Oct 16, 2010
Kathleen wrote:
My husband has it and it is the worst thing we ever did. Please do your homework. Studies show at L5 S1 there is no benefit for disc replacement as there is not much motion at that level normally. Once you get the ProDisc L you can't ever get it out! This left my husband at 32yrs unable to do anything. Some days he can't get off the couch. Prior to surgery he was a competing black belt in Judo and a Heavy equipment mechanic. It destroyed us financially and mostly mentally! Please research, the studies to get FDA approval are unethical and State of NJ sued the makers and won.
I had a pro disk replacement at l5-s1 back in feb 2010. Still out of work. Had problems from day one. I had very very slow recovery! Good days, bad days! I was cleared by my surgeon to work thru the pain. When i do, i loosen up and feel pretty good. Later that day or at night, whenever I slow down, im DONE! I crawl into bed, and im hurting for the next 3 days! SEX, LOL right, again ill push thru the pain, then im done for a good 3-4 days! Surgeon says give it time, how much time? If I do nothing, I feel good. Until I do something... This is no way to live my life..... 9 months after the surgery, im not feeling to confident about my recovery...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
should i get a divorce 20 min geez 6
puppy mill west of jonesboro 43 min Guest 33
Amanda Hansen on Kait 1 hr wondering 6
cattle ranchers 1 hr SUSAN PAGE 1
Defunding Homeland Security 1 hr SUSAN PAGE 123
Judge Blackman son arrested for felony theft. 2 hr Sheila 3
haunted house names any suggestions???? (Sep '10) 2 hr Unname 30
The 22nd Amendment to be executive ordered away 6 hr Barton Farley 49
Obama threatened to shoot down Israeli jets 6 hr SnuffAGlobalist 55
Netanyahu, ... Please just STFU. 7 hr serious 63
Obama Administration banning M855 Ammo 8 hr Tom Foolery 101
How do men really feel about their mistress? (Mar '13) Tue Screwed up 395

Winter Storm Warning for Craighead County was issued at March 05 at 5:01AM CST

Jonesboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jonesboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:12 pm PST

NFL 4:12PM
Titans to release safety Bernard Pollard
NFL 6:04 AM
Bernard Pollard thinks Titans need winning attitude
NBC Sports 8:28 PM
Reports: Ted Ginn visiting Titans, 49ers
NBC Sports 2:56 AM
Kendall Langford has Jets, Saints visits after Lions trip
Bleacher Report10:29 PM
How Should St. Louis Fill Their Biggest Holes?