H&R Block Emerald Loan
mary

United States

#86 Dec 3, 2012
Lucy wrote:
Many people with bad credit are approved for the Emerald Advance. If you have never used H&R Block before then there is a better chance that you will be denied if you have bad credit. This will start a relationship with Block and if you return to do your taxes and regularly use their services it is possible to be approved for the advance loans even though you have bad credit.
The average interest fee charged is about $30. In the past the fees for the Block loans were sky high. They have been lowering fees for the past few years and they are actually offering a Free 1040 EZ tax return this year. There will also be a new type of loan offered at tax time and the max interest fee is $30. And yes in case you are wondering....I work for Block.
does anybody on her know if you have a previous loan with them if you can still get a loan?
worried

United States

#87 Dec 5, 2012
If I have a judgement against me, will it effect my chances of getting a Emerald Loan for christmas? They have not taken money from my checks for the judgement .
client

Saint Louis, MO

#88 Dec 5, 2012
worried wrote:
If I have a judgement against me, will it effect my chances of getting a Emerald Loan for christmas? They have not taken money from my checks for the judgement .
it is based on your credit rating and a judgement on your credit file will affect your score and maybe affect your chances of getting a loan it all has to do with H & R Blocks credit standards
Temptation Island

Columbia, MO

#89 Dec 13, 2012
There's nothing about getting a loan in an earlier year guaranteeing you a loan now. Each year's criteria is completely unique & based upon your credit score and credit profile.
texas girl

League City, TX

#90 Jan 4, 2013
I just recently (in the last few weeks) lost my job but have a chk. Stub for Dec. Can they tell when they enter it in the system if im unemployed if i tell them i still work for this conpany? I have also applied for unemployment but it hasnt been approved yet. Oh and i have been doing my taxes with block for 17 years and have gotton the emerald advance every year since theyve started doing it. And always get a decent return back. Thanks from Texas
tammy

United States

#92 Feb 2, 2013
If you got an emerald advance this year, do you have to do your taxes through them or is there another way to pay that back?
Wake Up

Germany

#93 Feb 2, 2013
Why would anyone on purpose get an advance on a tax refund?

You pay through the nose for bad products like that. They are developed to make millions off the ignorant and lower educated portions of society that can only think in the short term.

All good things come to those that wait.

Do your taxes with widely available free tax software. For the vast majority of people, you can do your own return online for free now with Turbotax online version. It is simple and follows along like an interview process. The online version simply asks you questions and you answer. The numbers are then automatically added to the correct lines and forms. It is simple. Here is the link:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/onl...

It is free. No catch. Then ask for your refund in full using the IRS set timeline. You will get 100% of your refund back with the no gotcha fees, interest, and penalties that are associated with rapid refund and emerald advance type of products. The only catch to getting 100% of your money is the time it takes the IRS to normally process your tax return and that is usually 4 to 6 weeks. The IRS will then mail your refund check or you can ask for Direct deposit, which is faster and still free. Remember, all good things to those that wait.

Keep your money. Don't get suckered into those fast refund types of ripoffs. If you want it so fast that you are willing to give up your hard earned money in return for getting your money a little quicker, that means you have no self control and love to give away your money instead of growing up and having a little self respect and grasping control of your own financial life.

One more time. All good things come to those that wait.
Alexis

Chalfont, PA

#103 Nov 10, 2013
If my mom gets the holiday loan through H&R block can my dad go back an file taxes on us kids (my mom has full costody)
Cassy

United States

#104 Nov 10, 2013
Alexis, it is sad that you have to worry about such things. But no your mom will have to file in order to pay it back.
God

Miami, FL

#105 Nov 11, 2013
Dont do it. The poster above from February was 100% correct. Please don't do it.
Confused

Troy, NC

#106 Nov 13, 2013
We have filed for the advance and received it in 2011, 2010, 2009. Last yr we had to file bankruptcy and was denied the advance. We both kind of figured that would happen. With that being said we filed on line for free. Our income has changed but for the good. We both are making more than in the passed yrs. can we still be elegable for the advance this yr again?
Toot

North Little Rock, AR

#107 Nov 15, 2013
Lucy wrote:
Many people with bad credit are approved for the Emerald Advance. If you have never used H&R Block before then there is a better chance that you will be denied if you have bad credit. This will start a relationship with Block and if you return to do your taxes and regularly use their services it is possible to be approved for the advance loans even though you have bad credit.
The average interest fee charged is about $30. In the past the fees for the Block loans were sky high. They have been lowering fees for the past few years and they are actually offering a Free 1040 EZ tax return this year. There will also be a new type of loan offered at tax time and the max interest fee is $30. And yes in case you are wondering....I work for Block.
Hello Lucy, thanks for your comment, this helped a lot, because I was denied my first time but I never filed with block. My mom, on the other hand, files with block every year and was usually getting the loan every year until last year she was denied. They said something about her credit, but her credit was messed up then too. Can you please explain to me why this happened? I hope she gets approved this year.
Confused

Salt Lake City, UT

#108 Nov 16, 2013
So even though I have used HRB Online for the past 3 years, I will be considered New to HRB? Thus, getting a low loan. I was hoping for a great Christmas for my family of 5. That sucks.
Mjones

Washington Court House, OH

#109 Nov 21, 2013
I just applied for the emerald loan last year and was denied because my student loans were in default and now they are in good standing.. But I don't have the best credit, However I continued to file my taxes with them that year. I am going to apply this year what are my chances of getting approved??? Please help...
Lacandy29

Carnesville, GA

#110 Nov 23, 2013
I was wondering can I qualify if I have an outstanding balance with a financial company and also if I've filed with the block for 2 years but filed online
hhhh

United States

#111 Nov 23, 2013
This thread just proves that poor people continuing to do poor people things like stated above will guarantee their families stay poor their entire lives. Why would you knowingly do these poor people things when you know they are financially horrible products designed to suck you in and keep you in perpetual poor people status? Middle class and upper middle class people do not ever use these types of loans and advances. Run from this crap as fast as possible.
Poor

United States

#112 Nov 23, 2013
Poor people?? You got to hell.
Middle class an upper middle class people have tons of credit card debt so how's that any different? Getting a high interest loan on income tax returns is not going to put me in debt for the next five years. Stupid.
Me and my husband work and pay taxes so I don't feel that it's anyone's business what we do to give our kids the things they want. I can tell you this much, we do not have ANY type of credit card or make payments on foolish wants. If there's something we want or want for our kids we save for it. And not having credit cards has nothing to do with bad credit, because we don't have that either. We just choose to spend that 2-300 bucks a month on groceries.
Hamm

United States

#113 Nov 25, 2013
I received the emerald advance two years in a row. I paid them back. I filed in 2011 and 2012 and got denied I do not understand why I had been a client for years and never had problems with my taxes. I also received a loan of 1500 before they started the emerald advance from hr block and it was also paid back on time. My credit is not good but I do not mess around with my taxes. I was really surprised when they denied me after giving it to me twice with no problem.
olivia

Houston, TX

#115 Nov 25, 2013
I have been my taxes with h&r for 3yrs and i got the loan last year to..well when i went back this yr i was denied for bad credit also...i didnt know it was base on credit and i been at my job for 2 yrs and i have 4 kids head of household and i always get back @9,000-10,000...i dont understand how i was able to get it lastyear but not this yr...:/ i very upset..i will not be returning.
Dressy Limey Tatties

Jupiter, FL

#116 Nov 25, 2013
Poor wrote:
Poor people?? You got to hell.
Middle class an upper middle class people have tons of credit card debt so how's that any different? Getting a high interest loan on income tax returns is not going to put me in debt for the next five years. Stupid.
Me and my husband work and pay taxes so I don't feel that it's anyone's business what we do to give our kids the things they want. I can tell you this much, we do not have ANY type of credit card or make payments on foolish wants. If there's something we want or want for our kids we save for it. And not having credit cards has nothing to do with bad credit, because we don't have that either. We just choose to spend that 2-300 bucks a month on groceries.
awwww stfu and show us your tlts

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 28 min Now_What- 36,235
Tony Hawkins 32 min Curious 1
Trump Sunday tweets 34 min Guest 6
‘White Supremacist’ Portland Stabber Was A Bern... 36 min Seriously 1
Drag Queen Brainwashes Young Children on ‘Gende... 43 min Seriously 6
I can't stop loving you 1 hr Broken hearted 1
Children will die 4 hr Guest 102

Jonesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance