The National Rifle Association
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#47 Feb 1, 2013
Cathouse Mouse wrote:
<quoted text>
So they formed a lobby group and fought against FDR on gun laws.
Can you tell me what legislation that would have been?
National Firearms Act of 1934.

Cathouse Mouse

Since: Aug 10

Cathouse Mouse

#48 Feb 1, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
National Firearms Act of 1934.
How did that turn out in the end?

Cathouse Mouse

Since: Aug 10

Cathouse Mouse

#49 Feb 1, 2013
It's late, I shall retire now.

We'll pick back up on this when I return.
Punisher

Jonesboro, AR

#50 Feb 1, 2013
Cathouse Mouse wrote:
<quoted text>
How did that turn out in the end?
Essentially, a group of veterans marched on the capitol to demand redemption of vouchers they were given in lieu of combat pay. The federal government realized that if they armed themselves and returned, there was a good chance the government would be overthrown. FDR, being the coward he was, sought to impose a $200 (equivalent to $5000 of today's dollars) on the transfer of every firearm sold. What managed to make it's way through Congress was a tax on the transfer of destructive devices.(machine guns, short barreled rifles, grenades, etc) This is also where we get the ridiculous idea that the second amendment somehow applies to sporting purposes. It was, like everything else FDR set out to do, a, massive power grab on behalf of the government, and proof that while some citizens make light of the idea that the civilian population does pose a threat to the federal government, the government knows that we are a serious threat as long as we have firearms.
what in the world?

Blytheville, AR

#51 Feb 1, 2013
The NRA is rich guys who fill republican and democrats pockets so we can keep our guns.
Post Turtle

United States

#52 Feb 2, 2013
I'd rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone.
Orval

Jonesboro, AR

#53 Feb 2, 2013
Could you possibly be as simple minded as you appear?

Cathouse Mouse

Since: Aug 10

Cathouse Mouse

#55 Feb 2, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
Essentially, a group of veterans marched on the capitol to demand redemption of vouchers they were given in lieu of combat pay. The federal government realized that if they armed themselves and returned, there was a good chance the government would be overthrown. FDR, being the coward he was, sought to impose a $200 (equivalent to $5000 of today's dollars) on the transfer of every firearm sold. What managed to make it's way through Congress was a tax on the transfer of destructive devices.(machine guns, short barreled rifles, grenades, etc) This is also where we get the ridiculous idea that the second amendment somehow applies to sporting purposes. It was, like everything else FDR set out to do, a, massive power grab on behalf of the government, and proof that while some citizens make light of the idea that the civilian population does pose a threat to the federal government, the government knows that we are a serious threat as long as we have firearms.
But according to history, didn't the NRA in fact support FDR's firearms act of 1934?
Dude

Jonesboro, AR

#56 Feb 2, 2013
Cathouse Mouse wrote:
<quoted text>
But according to history, didn't the NRA in fact support FDR's firearms act of 1934?
Yes in the bizzaro dimension where you are a conservative they sure did.

Cathouse Mouse

Since: Aug 10

Cathouse Mouse

#57 Feb 2, 2013
I'm just trying to keep this journey factual.

Is it true or false that the NRA supported the National Firearms Act of 1934?
guest

United States

#59 Feb 2, 2013
Cathouse Mouse wrote:
I'm just trying to keep this journey factual.
Is it true or false that the NRA supported the National Firearms Act of 1934?
Cat, you have already researched the history of the NRA. So just throw out your point and stop playing 20 questions. Then you will get the argument started that you are trolling for. Spit it out.

Cathouse Mouse

Since: Aug 10

Cathouse Mouse

#61 Feb 2, 2013
Hi ya Orval. I noticed this morning that it wasn't long at all last night before you were accused of being me in disguise.

How did that make you feel Orval?
GUEST

Rogers, AR

#62 Feb 2, 2013
GUEST wrote:
<quoted text>Just another catshit mouse graybox.Don't say you aren't.
Just another moronic and azz Inspired Comment from a Idiot Inspired Troll.
GUEST

Rogers, AR

#63 Feb 2, 2013
GUEST wrote:
<quoted text>Catshit the facts or there you lying dumbass.
Guest Moronic Remarcs Prove that he is a Retarded Troll Grayboxing.
Hmmm

Monette, AR

#65 Feb 2, 2013
The NRA may have been founded to promote better marksmanship, due to the poor weaponry at the time, but it is now the leading promoter of protecting gun rights. I do not belong, but I do think, they do a good thing. The government though, is watching their membership list.
FemaRegion6

Springdale, AR

#66 Feb 2, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
The NRA may have been founded to promote better marksmanship, due to the poor weaponry at the time, but it is now the leading promoter of protecting gun rights. I do not belong, but I do think, they do a good thing. The government though, is watching their membership list.
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooh,
I'm scared.
John Browning

United States

#67 Feb 2, 2013
Cathouse Mouse wrote:
<quoted text>
But according to history, didn't the NRA in fact support FDR's firearms act of 1934?
No, but they ended up compromising on it, teaching gun owners never to compromise again.

Cathouse Mouse

Since: Aug 10

Cathouse Mouse

#68 Feb 2, 2013
John Browning wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but they ended up compromising on it, teaching gun owners never to compromise again.
Is that a fact?

We're being very factual here.
John Browning

United States

#69 Feb 2, 2013
Cathouse Mouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that a fact?
We're being very factual here.
Indeed it is, the NRA is a sporting group, they didn't care about machine guns, still don't so they have up that ground. I assure you they didn't support legislation dictating a $200 tax on each gun when the average gun cost around $20. That would've have killed the group quickly.

Cathouse Mouse

Since: Aug 10

Cathouse Mouse

#71 Feb 2, 2013
I think it's time to review again, in order to continue our efforts to keep this historicalally factual.

The NRA was actually created in 1871 to be a research group that did it's job and the result was a marksmanship manual.

Once that mission was completed they went into the shooting competition business. Their success in 1874 with a new style rifle led to a military contract for an enormous amount of their new rifles.

In 1934 the NRA formed a "Legislative Affairs Committee" otherwise known as a lobbyist group by any definition.

As a lobbyist group, the NRA actaully supported the 1934 National Firearms Act under then President Franklin D Roosevelt.

^^^ T H I S ^^^ has all been estalished as agreed facts by us all, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Loses Immigrant Children 8 min Deplorableknuckle... 2
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 17 min SSOB 43,309
Obama Trafficked Immigrant Children 1 hr guest 1
Hog Baseball to the SEC Conference Semis 1 hr guest 1
An open invitation to the ‘baggerless CCC! 1 hr guest 150
My new life! 2 hr Classylady 5
It must be hard....... 2 hr I know 2
Amanda Hanson 19 hr Guest 44

Jonesboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Jonesboro Mortgages