doller

Jonesboro, AR

#41 Jan 9, 2011
Jonesboro school district has roughly 35,000 households and 2,500 businesses taxed with 5,500 students.

Valley View school district has roughly 6,000 households and 100 businesses taxed with 2,200 students.

Jonesboro has a little over double the student population of Valley View.

But they have almost six times the tax base.
And they get so much federal and state money its unbelievable.

So yes schools who get lots of state and federal money can build buildings without millage increases. You want to look at a school not utilizing its funds good, look at Jonesboro. When the school administration office is a 70's house, and Jonesboro and Nettleton admin has big offices, I ask you, who has been managing its money for the kids.
Tired of Taxes

Jonesboro, AR

#42 Jan 9, 2011
doller wrote:
Jonesboro school district has roughly 35,000 households and 2,500 businesses taxed with 5,500 students.
Valley View school district has roughly 6,000 households and 100 businesses taxed with 2,200 students.
Jonesboro has a little over double the student population of Valley View.
But they have almost six times the tax base.
And they get so much federal and state money its unbelievable.
So yes schools who get lots of state and federal money can build buildings without millage increases. You want to look at a school not utilizing its funds good, look at Jonesboro. When the school administration office is a 70's house, and Jonesboro and Nettleton admin has big offices, I ask you, who has been managing its money
for the kids.
The building that Jonesboro put the administration in was baught with money from the sale of the old kindergarten center. The old administration building was in the old Annie Camp. Jonesboro needed a new building to house the Pre School. Was going to cost way too much money to build a new school so they moved the administation out and remodeled for pre school. Jonesboro workers did the work. Wallace Fowler offered the bank building to the district for around 2 million. It included all the furnature and all the computers, and three lots surrounding the building. It appraised for around 4 million. It was a very good investment of money that could only be used for a building. They could not have built a pre school for 2 million. Money has been managed very well in that district and they just passed their first millage in over 20 years. Let's wait 20 years for VALLEY View to pass a millage and se if they can manage as well as JONESBORO HAS DONE.

Jonesboro, AR

#43 Jan 9, 2011
I can't believe Valley View and all its new buildings can sit there and compare themselves to other schools. Do you know how old buildings are in other school districts? The VV PTA actually posted something on its facebook status to the tune of Valley View deserved this more than other districts because they don't get as much per millage as Jonesboro. How classy to put down another school fighting so hard for a millage increase. I had already voted at the time, but VV is getting two NO's from my house in the next election.

United States

#44 Jan 10, 2011
guest wrote:
I can't believe Valley View and all its new buildings can sit there and compare themselves to other schools. Do you know how old buildings are in other school districts? The VV PTA actually posted something on its facebook status to the tune of Valley View deserved this more than other districts because they don't get as much per millage as Jonesboro. How classy to put down another school fighting so hard for a
millage increase. I had already voted at the
time, but VV is getting two NO's from my
house in the next election.
. I already have 26 no votes that are firm from family and neighbors I have discussed this with. The people who can't afford this tax are a lot more motivated to vote no than the folks who are claiming that this tax is justified. The school district has not said publicly what they will cut or how they will be harmed other than getting trailors. My wife taught in one of those trailors for a year and it was pretty nice. If they have a place to put 15 trailors( that is what there have said will happen) then they have room to add 15 classrooms. There is room to add to the high school. They just don't want to. It's kind of like the kids. They think they should be driving a brand new car instead of that used one we gave them. They just want the new one because someone else will pay for it. The board and administration needs to stop acting like little kids who want the new car and make things work with what they have. You should do everything within your power to do a 5 million dollar expansion instead of a 26 millillion dollar building that is NOT needed. Give the voters some kind of choice instead of BUILD IT or ELSE! If they are not smart enough to figure out a way to add on to the high school then talk to some of the other schools who have done it numerous times without raising taxes to a ridiculas rate.
Skydiver

Jonesboro, AR

#45 Jan 10, 2011
Hey dickweed, its other people comparing their school to VV. Not the other way around. So since people want to compare who and what every gets, then sure lets call a spade a spade. Jonesboro schools has contructed a tremendous amount of new buildings. They bought that nice new bank building for their administration, built several intermediate and elementary buildings, along with a PRACTICE facility for football.

No school deserves anything anymore than the other, but it is a shame the state bases its money that it hands out on poor kids. Its like we all fund the poorer areas, but the other areas that work for a living, well, they have to PAY out of their own pockets.

The state needs to across the board pay for each kid the same!

Jonesboro, AR

#46 Jan 10, 2011
guest wrote:
I can't believe Valley View and all its new buildings can sit there and compare themselves to other schools. Do you know how old buildings are in other school districts? The VV PTA actually posted something on its facebook status to the tune of Valley View deserved this more than other districts because they don't get as much per millage as Jonesboro. How classy to put down another school fighting so hard for a millage increase. I had already voted at the time, but VV is getting two NO's from my house in the next election.
VV High School- Old building added onto with new facade. Jr High- Old building added onto, Admin office-old house, Intermediate building-15 years old, elemtary building--4 years old, Fine Arts building--15 years old, pratice building--new. As far as classrooms the only new buildings they have is the intermediate and elementary buildings. Thats two new buildings. The others have been added onto. And now there is no space to add more for those two buildings.
my understanding

Jonesboro, AR

#47 Jan 10, 2011
Skydiver wrote:
Hey dickweed, its other people comparing their school to VV. Not the other way around. So since people want to compare who and what every gets, then sure lets call a spade a spade. Jonesboro schools has contructed a tremendous amount of new buildings. They bought that nice new bank building for their administration, built several intermediate and elementary buildings, along with a PRACTICE facility for football.

No school deserves anything anymore than the other, but it is a shame the state bases its money that it hands out on poor kids. Its like we all fund the poorer areas, but the other areas that work for a living, well, they have to PAY out of their own pockets.

The state needs to across the board pay for each kid the same!
Is it not true that jonesboro got a stimulus check when the government was handing out stimulus money for the economy to get it going? It was a good thing so don't bash it. It's a multi purpose facility that all sports and band use along with the COMMUNITY sports teams. I have seen young softball, soccer, football, and others using it. ASU even used it for a pro day. So it's not just JHS football. Don't be mad because Jonesboro was smart enough to apply for the grant from stimulus money being passed out and other schools feel like everything should be brought, hand delivered, and given to them. That's little man syndrome, get it checked out.

Jonesboro, AR

#48 Jan 10, 2011
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>. I already have 26 no votes that are firm from family and neighbors I have discussed this with. The people who can't afford this tax are a lot more motivated to vote no than the folks who are claiming that this tax is justified. The school district has not said publicly what they will cut or how they will be harmed other than getting trailors. My wife taught in one of those trailors for a year and it was pretty nice. If they have a place to put 15 trailors( that is what there have said will happen) then they have room to add 15 classrooms. There is room to add to the high school. They just don't want to. It's kind of like the kids. They think they should be driving a brand new car instead of that used one we gave them. They just want the new one because someone else will pay for it. The board and administration needs to stop acting like little kids who want the new car and make things work with what they have. You should do everything within your power to do a 5 million dollar expansion instead of a 26 millillion dollar building that is NOT needed. Give the voters some kind of choice instead of BUILD IT or ELSE! If they are not smart enough to figure out a way to add on to the high school then talk to some of the other schools who have done it numerous times without raising taxes to a ridiculas rate.
So how do they work with what they have if the state tells you, you have to have this amount of square footage per student? When space is gone, its gone. I guess they could put class in the utility closets, oh wait the teachers are using those as office space.

You remind me of one of those kind of people who invest $50 into something and expect a million in return. Its not going to happen. Mobile classrooms are temporary by nature, and they are costly, and a huge waste of money.

No different than buying a house, you can rent, or buy. And after five years of use, tell me which one returns you your investment?
Skydiver

Jonesboro, AR

#49 Jan 10, 2011
So did grant money buy the big bank building for adminstration offices? What built the kindergarten building or the philadelphia, annie camp buildings, or all the magnet facilities?

Jonesboro, AR

#50 Jan 10, 2011
Let's please not make this another "fight" between school district supporters!
My kids go to VV, and personally I supported the millage increase last time and will this time. And for the record, I totally supported Jonesboro's millage increase too and was happy that they atleast got theirs passed. I believe ALL of our children deserve good facilities to learn in.
And for the those who say there is space to expand the high school, WHERE? The only open space around the hs is the parking lot. And with parking already overflowing that's not an option. I am on campus regulary and there is NO ROOM to build on to the high school. That is a hard, cold fact. When trailers were on campus before they were scattered here and there, mainly on what is now the intermediate playground. Even if you could squeeze some trailers here and there near the high school, which I'm not sure that's even possible, you cannot build on to a building in the same fashion you can scatter trailers!
My kids will be directly affected by this. They are in the classes coming up that DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH ROOM to be accomodated in the current hs.
One of my children has had to be educated in a trailer once already. I can't say that he didn't still get a top notch education. But I can say that it was MUCH less than ideal. And to say that the trailers are "pretty nice" .... your wife must have been a lucky one because that certainly wasn't the case for us. It was damp, musty, stinky, dark (I don't even think it had windows) and very depressing. Not to mention those in a trailer are very isolated from their peers. And they have to walk through whatever weather happens to be going on to get into the main building several times a day. I won't even begin on the safety issues.
I come from very meager beginnings. I think all the arguements about one school being better than another or more deserving is ridiculous. ALL of our children deserve the best opportunity we can give them. If my kids did not go to VV I would still support this millage, maybe not so passionately as I do now, but I would still support it. Just as I supported Jonesboro's when it did not directly benefit my children's education.
So please, before anyone jumps on any bandwagons, research the facts yourself. This is simply a case of a school needing to expand to accomodate the student body coming up. And if we do not expand now we lose the money the state has promised and have to start all over.
Valley View resident

Creedmoor, NC

#51 Jan 10, 2011
1) Round up all the kids at the school who do not live in VV, and send them back to their appropriate district.
2) Replace the current leadership.
3) Shift the focus from athletics to academics.
4) Expect the school district to live within its means. The local property owners are not an endless well of funds.
5) When the vote comes up this spring, vote "no".

Jonesboro, AR

#52 Jan 10, 2011
Valley View resident wrote:
1) Round up all the kids at the school who do not live in VV, and send them back to their appropriate district.
4) Expect the school district to live within its means. The local property owners are not an endless well of funds.
Half of the ones in the district from another district are lying about their address. That's the problem. The number of students Choice'd in probably isn't an outrageous amount. I will say I don't understand how white kids are being allowed to legally transfer into the District especially if they don't have a parent/second-cousin's sister's neighbor's friend working at the school.
my understanding

Jonesboro, AR

#53 Jan 10, 2011
Skydiver wrote:
So did grant money buy the big bank building for adminstration offices? What built the kindergarten building or the philadelphia, annie camp buildings, or all the magnet facilities?
Um all that was done way before the indoor facility. So it's Jonesboro showing they learned to balance a budget.

United States

#54 Jan 10, 2011
my understanding wrote:
<quoted text>
Um all that was done way before the indoor facility. So it's Jonesboro showing they learned to balance a budget.
All of the construction in Jonesboro the past twenty years has been done by re financing bonds or through grants. The facilities in Jonesboro district are very nice and they did it without a tax increase for twenty years. Come on Valley View, you can do it too. Vote No!!!!!!!!!!
Jonesboro Parent

Jonesboro, AR

#55 Jan 10, 2011
my understanding wrote:
<quoted text>
But they have asked for how many millages? And finally they get one passed. How in the hell have they been good money managers? You can piss down someone else's neck, because I ain't believing that sh*t. They need to fire the whole lot. Our tax base is 5 times VV and we still needed a increase? Shiot I know VV takes a bashing, but that school has done a way better job, with way less. And if you don't believe me, look at number of students, money from state and feds, and do some comparisons.

Jonesboro, AR

#56 Jan 10, 2011
Warning TROLL alert!
Lmao

Jonesboro, AR

#57 Jan 10, 2011
No no no,,,,,Dumass alert!
parent

Jonesboro, AR

#58 Jan 10, 2011
The number one school in EDUCATION scores in ARKANSAS and you say shift focus from athletics to academics? Wow you are a very smart person. NOT! And replaced current leadership? Wow again, are your under the influence maybe, because your completely ignorant. You don't become the best school in the state 6 years in a row, by not having good supervision and leadership. Sorry . And for the record, I don't have to defend them, their record of excellence speaks volumes all by itself.

Its lame ass people like this poster who hides behind a computer to bash and belittle. Its chicken shit stuff all the way.

Jonesboro, AR

#59 Jan 10, 2011
parent wrote:
<quoted text>
The number one school in EDUCATION scores in ARKANSAS and you say shift focus from athletics to academics? Wow you are a very smart person. NOT! And replaced current leadership? Wow again, are your under the influence maybe, because your completely ignorant. You don't become the best school in the state 6 years in a row, by not having good supervision and leadership. Sorry . And for the record, I don't have to defend them, their record of excellence speaks volumes all by itself.
Its lame ass people like this poster who hides behind a computer to bash and belittle. Its chicken shit stuff all the way.
Here we go again. They really think they are the best school in the state. The state is fixing to do away with the Benchmark test and replace it with a National based test and we will see where Valley View really ranks. 6 years in a row. Wow, I bet all Radius has to do is walk outside and and look to the sky and a new school will appear because they walk on water out there. The fact is the voters arent listening to this used car salesman crap about "best school in the state and 13 trailors, and they are going to take over our school, and we will start a football program and it will be fully funded by private donations " It is lame people like you that wants the rest of us to raise our taxes before the school has given us real choies to look at besides build a school and new basketball palace. Make do with what you have, just like the rest of do every day

Jonesboro, AR

#60 Jan 10, 2011
guest wrote:
<quoted text>Here we go again. They really think they are the best school in the state. The state is fixing to do away with the Benchmark test and replace it with a National based test and we will see where Valley View really ranks. 6 years in a row. Wow, I bet all Radius has to do is walk outside and and look to the sky and a new school will appear because they walk on water out there. The fact is the voters arent listening to this used car salesman crap about "best school in the state and 13 trailors, and they are going to take over our school, and we will start a football program and it will be fully funded by private donations " It is lame people like you that wants the rest of us to raise our taxes before the school has given us real choies to look at besides build a school and new basketball palace. Make do with what you have, just like the rest of do every day
Hey Randy, your going to stroke out with all that hate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fact check: Hillary Clinton's false and mislead... 3 min guest 1
Hillary Most Honest Candidate Ever 7 min guest 761
MOVIE: HILLARY'S AMERICA now at MALCO 7 min guest 2
"Crooked Hillary" ? 8 min Christmas Hunter 88
black people (Nov '15) 12 min Now_What- 47
starting a ku klux klan chapter in this area (Jan '11) 13 min guest 182
Wasserman Schultz resigning as party leader 14 min guest 1
Melania speech plaguerzed 21 min guest 121

Jonesboro Jobs

More from around the web