First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“do not feed the trolls”

Since: Nov 08

Mars Colony

#1 Oct 30, 2009
be alert at the checkout lines. Do not watch the prices on the credit card reader, watch the monitor over the register when they scan your videos, books or whatever.

I noticed today that the cashier was typing in higher prices when the item scanned lower than the sticker on the item. Hastings is supposed to give the lowest price, whether it is on the sticker or when scanned.

I am not telling anyone not to shop there nor telling them that they are ripping you off, just want to let you know that you need to be alert at the checkout. Too many new cashiers.

fairy

United States

#2 Oct 30, 2009
They also steal movies. My hubby accidently dropped our movie off at Hastings it was supposed to go to Hollywood. I was talking on the phone with him less than 30 minutes after he did this. I commented on the video store he realized his mistake drove straight back there and they told him the movie wasn't there. So someone that works there took the movie and kept it.
reddawg

Waterloo, Canada

#3 Oct 30, 2009
isaysobeit wrote:
be alert at the checkout lines. Do not watch the prices on the credit card reader, watch the monitor over the register when they scan your videos, books or whatever.
I noticed today that the cashier was typing in higher prices when the item scanned lower than the sticker on the item. Hastings is supposed to give the lowest price, whether it is on the sticker or when scanned.
I am not telling anyone not to shop there nor telling them that they are ripping you off, just want to let you know that you need to be alert at the checkout. Too many new cashiers.
So did they correct their mistake
J-Town Conservative

Saint Albans, WV

#4 Oct 30, 2009
isaysobeit wrote:
That is not illegal. You cannot be charged more that the ticket price or any posted price, by law. Their whole system is junk.

You should, however, check tags on all product on the shelf. if there are 5 copies of a book, there may be 5 different ticketed prices.

“do not feed the trolls”

Mars Colony

#5 Oct 30, 2009
reddawg wrote:
<quoted text>
So did they correct their mistake
after a few words exchanged about it and another employee who knew.

“do not feed the trolls”

Mars Colony

#6 Oct 30, 2009
J-Town Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not illegal. You cannot be charged more that the ticket price or any posted price, by law. Their whole system is junk.
You should, however, check tags on all product on the shelf. if there are 5 copies of a book, there may be 5 different ticketed prices.
never said it was illegal now did I - just said to watch. And I do agree, you have to watch the tags, I found used movies priced higher than new but then when you have as many movies they have as scattered out as they are, it is a difficult job to change the prices on the items. That is why they have the rule to charge the lowest price.

Little Elm, TX

#7 Oct 30, 2009
I've seen alot of their used movies with varied prices. If you find a movie that they have 5 copies of, they might have 3 different prices. If you go to the register with the cheapest copy, they never notice the mistake.

United States

#8 Oct 30, 2009
I hate it when I get home with a DVD and it is scratched beyond the hope of ever working. When I take it back and tell them it won't play, they give me another rental, but a few days later I will see the same scratched up DVD that dosen't play put back on the shelf for someone else to rent and not be able to watch.
joe jack

Bossier City, LA

#9 Oct 30, 2009
they are trying to sell a used copy of the first x files movie for 20 bucks!!!! they did the same with a used copy of Moonraker as well. they suck when it comes to prices.
wellll

Chickasha, OK

#10 Nov 7, 2009
Well you see, the prices of the used movies differ depending on the versions. There are full screen, wide screen, unrated editions, special editions, etc. And about the scratch disc issue, they have a buffer. When you bring a scratched movie back, they buff it and check it before putting it back out. When it comes to the returning a movie to the wrong place, thats all your problem. Don't be stupid, pay attention to what your doing. Its not their responsibility. So good job being idiots.

Little Elm, TX

#11 Nov 7, 2009
I've seen movies with the same features have varying prices. A movie with fullscreen should be the same price as a movie that is widescreen. No reason for differing prices there at all. Now, if it's a special addition with 2 or 3 discs, that's different.

Russellville, AR

#12 Nov 8, 2009
huh?
Black

Urbana, IL

#13 Nov 8, 2009
guest wrote:
I've seen movies with the same features have varying prices. A movie with fullscreen should be the same price as a movie that is widescreen. No reason for differing prices there at all. Now, if it's a special addition with 2 or 3 discs, that's different.
Sure there is. There's more "demand" for widescreen. If you don't like it, just buy fullscreen.
duh

Russellville, AR

#14 Nov 8, 2009
hell yeah
former employee

Bossier City, LA

#15 Nov 8, 2009
There is a reason why you find different prices on the same DVD on a shelf. Mostly due to their corporate pricing structure. One movie has a price for a new copy, a used copy, and a former rental converted to sale. These are 3 different barcodes and sometimes the price changes don't kick in in a timely manner so it appears goofy for awhile until it fixes itself.

And as for someone dropping off a movie and it being "stolen"....I doubt it. We had people drop off the wrong movie all the time and we put in the drawer for stray pickups. We also had people claim they put something in the box no more than 5-10 min before they came in to ask for a manager and of course the dvd was not in there. People get rushed and confused and screw up. I can safely say I witnessed that all the time. It sounds so simple to return a Hastings movie to Hastings and a Blockbuster movie to Blockbuster but I assure you that people screw up all the time.

Since: Sep 09

United States

#16 Nov 8, 2009
wellll wrote:
Well you see, the prices of the used movies differ depending on the versions. There are full screen, wide screen, unrated editions, special editions, etc. And about the scratch disc issue, they have a buffer. When you bring a scratched movie back, they buff it and check it before putting it back out. When it comes to the returning a movie to the wrong place, thats all your problem. Don't be stupid, pay attention to what your doing. Its not their responsibility. So good job being idiots.
The prices vary on "used" former rentals because the revenue for each individual rental copy is tracked and applied toward the depreciation of that specific unit. 1 copy may have produced 10 times the revenue of the copy next to it on the shelf. A copy with less rental income still has a higher book value (hasn't depreciated as much) so the re-sale price is set higher to offset the retained cost. When I worked there, there were copies of videos and video games that had each generated over $10,000 (one copy) this was not common but I ran across many titles that had.
another store employee

Mountain Home, AR

#17 Dec 26, 2009
former employee wrote:
There is a reason why you find different prices on the same DVD on a shelf. Mostly due to their corporate pricing structure. One movie has a price for a new copy, a used copy, and a former rental converted to sale. These are 3 different barcodes and sometimes the price changes don't kick in in a timely manner so it appears goofy for awhile until it fixes itself.
And as for someone dropping off a movie and it being "stolen"....I doubt it. We had people drop off the wrong movie all the time and we put in the drawer for stray pickups. We also had people claim they put something in the box no more than 5-10 min before they came in to ask for a manager and of course the dvd was not in there. People get rushed and confused and screw up. I can safely say I witnessed that all the time. It sounds so simple to return a Hastings movie to Hastings and a Blockbuster movie to Blockbuster but I assure you that people screw up all the time.
That is exactly right!
Also I was going to comment on about 14 of the 16 entries that are trashing Hastings (which is a GREAT place to shop) but then I realized I would literally be writing my own book to all of you stupid f*cks! So just a couple more points will be made.
1. It isn't Hasting's fault that your husband cannot read the case that the dvd is in. Blockbuster and Hastings do not really look very similar to me. Also the comment that the movie was "stolen" and then returned is inaccurate - There is a bin that the stray movies go into. As soon as one is found in the box it is put into this bin, recorded, and the CORRECT movie store is called and asked to come pick it up.
2. As far as the very first entry, whether you are looking at the total price on the card scanner or the total price on the computer moniter does not matter. It is the exact same; at all times from start to finish. Open your eyes next time and read the numbers!

Peace!
im also a former employee

United States

#18 Dec 26, 2009
former employee wrote:
Yes it most certainly did happen. It happened to me, yes they are always supposed to put the incorrectly returned movies in a drawer. But now we know not all employees are honest don't we. About the scratched movies, when I worked there if someone returned a movie and said it didn't work you were supposed to look for a red dot marked on it. That meant someone had complained before. If no red dot mark it and put it back on the shelf.
employee

Waterloo, Canada

#20 Jan 12, 2010
im also a former employee wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it most certainly did happen. It happened to me, yes they are always supposed to put the incorrectly returned movies in a drawer. But now we know not all employees are honest don't we. About the scratched movies, when I worked there if someone returned a movie and said it didn't work you were supposed to look for a red dot marked on it. That meant someone had complained before. If no red dot mark it and put it back on the shelf.
I currently work at Hastings and I have to wonder if you did your job correctly. If a movie doesn't work and doesn't have a dot, we do not simply put a dot on it and put it on the shelf. We BUFF it first, then put a dot on it and restock it. After a movie has had 3 complaints (and been buffed and dotted 3 times) it is supposed to be written off as defective.
Also, I've worked at Hastings for quite some time and I have to say that I have faith that none of the current employees are stealing anything, especially rentals from other stores. Besides, not only are there cameras videotaping associates and customers alike, associates now are REQUIRED to sign out when leaving the stores and to have their bags checked as an extra precautionary measure.

Our associates may make mistakes, everyone does, but we will always fix the problem when asked or even when we notice something a customer does not.
humble pie

Sulphur Springs, TX

#21 Jan 12, 2010
employee wrote:
<quoted text>
I currently work at Hastings and I have to wonder if you did your job correctly. If a movie doesn't work and doesn't have a dot, we do not simply put a dot on it and put it on the shelf. We BUFF it first, then put a dot on it and restock it. After a movie has had 3 complaints (and been buffed and dotted 3 times) it is supposed to be written off as defective.
Also, I've worked at Hastings for quite some time and I have to say that I have faith that none of the current employees are stealing anything, especially rentals from other stores. Besides, not only are there cameras videotaping associates and customers alike, associates now are REQUIRED to sign out when leaving the stores and to have their bags checked as an extra precautionary measure.
Our associates may make mistakes, everyone does, but we will always fix the problem when asked or even when we notice something a customer does not.
is the store manager still that nasty Chick that used to get all the trains pulled on her on Campus. then come to work and bragg about it??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump supporters were driven by fear of losing ... 1 hr Yep 9
Written in the Stars 1 hr Hurt 4
Whats Wrong With Race Mixing? (Jan '13) 1 hr Truth 216
Why cheat? 1 hr Truth 3
Ryan Vaughan (Oct '17) 3 hr James 13
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 4 hr Reality Check 42,935
140,000 Arizona residents werent sent voter ID ... 4 hr haha 5
BREAKING!!!...about time 5 hr Now you Know 61

Jonesboro Jobs

Personal Finance