Did you hear the radio station bashin...

Did you hear the radio station bashing select seconds?

Posted in the Jonesboro Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
guestter

Jonesboro, AR

#1 Feb 11, 2012
The people that own that place must be some real crabs to work for. On the radio they said the owners told the people out in the freezing rain with buckets trying to raise money for our local make a wish for a sick kid come true, they made him leave from in front of their building,The guy told her what it was for and it was just for a little while and she said she didn't care what it was for they had to get off her property.!! I also know that they got ugly with the group that helps send a few girls to prom whom otherwise would not be able to afford it, they don't want to help out anyone in the community ,I guess. Who are the owners anyway?
wtf ever

Jonesboro, AR

#2 Feb 12, 2012
Although I doubt that this is true, Good for them. I shop there and will continue to. People get sick of all this damn panhandling at front doors and intersections. I support my church and donate to causes that I choose. I don't need to be harassed every time I try to go to Wal-Mart or Sams. If you want to support someone, pull out your own damn wallet and do it. Charity begins at home. Take care of your own family and friends.

“the hammer”

Since: Oct 08

n a

#3 Feb 12, 2012
wtf ever wrote:
Although I doubt that this is true, Good for them. I shop there and will continue to. People get sick of all this damn panhandling at front doors and intersections. I support my church and donate to causes that I choose. I don't need to be harassed every time I try to go to Wal-Mart or Sams. If you want to support someone, pull out your own damn wallet and do it. Charity begins at home. Take care of your own family and friends.
So your saying your preacher is better than a sick child???? what r u cathlic?????
wow

Jonesboro, AR

#4 Feb 12, 2012
wtf ever wrote:
B!TCH!!!

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#5 Feb 12, 2012
wtf ever wrote:
I agree. Panhandling laws make sense, and businesses that don't allow it do us a favor.

Today with social media like Facebook, if people need to get their story out, they can do so. The people who know them can divvy up and show their support.

But standing in front of walmart only allows for pretty much anybody to scam people out of their pocket change. Obviously many of the causes are valid, but I'm betting some are not.

People want to give in an intentional way, and panhandling capitalizes on impulse giving, while not really allowing givers to know all they would like to.

And, the bottom line is, a business is free to allow or disallow soliciting. I'd say if yall's local radio station is picking that particular topic as their outrage of the day....then things must be really, really good around town.
aaa

Jonesboro, AR

#6 Feb 12, 2012
I really hate walking up to WalMart and having to pass little Susie and her mom and telling them that I don't want to donate money so the cheerleaders can go to state. But darn it I'm not giving them money for that. I'm just not doing it!I wish WalMart would not let people stand out front of the store and panhandle. Kroger either. It makes me uncomfortable. Even selling Girl Scout Cookies. I don't want them.
I don't want people standing on a busy intersection with a bucket in their hand asking for money either. It's ridiculous and it's dangerous. And it doesn't inspire me to donate.

“the hammer”

Since: Oct 08

n a

#8 Feb 12, 2012
Cold hearted people!!!!!! this not welfare we are talking about!! this is sick kids that might not ever be a adult!!!!!!

WTF???? is wrong with you??? what if it was your child??? my god people!! grow up!!

These people stood out in the cold rain just for this and you show no respect????

I gave to the brookland police at the 4 way!!! thinking "hey this is a good cause" and they proudly stood out there for them kids!!

United States

#9 Feb 12, 2012
ray is right people.get a life,this one day of collecting is for a GREAT cause
ZEDA

United States

#10 Feb 12, 2012
It's not like they are knocking on your car windows or following you into a store. They are giving people a chance to help othare or donate to a cause. Give if you want or don't give at all. I don't give to every cause but I do give to Make a Wish. I used to not think too much about donating until I found myself with a newborn in ACH and Ronald McDonald house for 6 weeks. Those people are vwonderful. I saw people come in with just the clothes on their backs. Their only concern was their child. The people at Ronald McDonald house helped them with everything. Whenever I go through there I take a few things. Things like soap, shampoo, paper towels, snacks for the waiting room. I will never forget how they helped my family. I donate to them. The Make a Wish families will do the same. If you can give a dollar or two and help someone out, why not?

Location hidden

#11 Feb 12, 2012
Charitable worthiness isn't the point of anyone posting. It's method.

Ronald McDonald House is a United Way agency if I'm not mistaken. United Way is a perfect example of correct method in funding charities.

If RMH depended on intersection buckets, they wouldn't be nearly the awesome organization they are.

It's not about the cause, be it a sick child or a huge organization like RMH. It's about method.
And to be fair, if you don't live in a big city, you probably don't know how bad panhandling can be. So in a small community, maybe a special occasion once in a while, like you seem to be talking about from yesterday...okay, maybe that's fine.

But it's hard to argue that their are sick children and their parents coping with illness every day of every year. So the bigger the city, the more the special occasions. And much worse are the beggars who make a living in this way.

How does one decide when and when not to pull out of the pocket when they are being solicited ten times a day? Which is not an exaggeration where I live. It's simple...you have to make it illegal to solicit without a permit. That's the only way.
interested 2

Jonesboro, AR

#12 Feb 12, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, Make A Wish are all local chapters, and their funds go toward granting wishes in their local areas. Therefore, the money is raised in the community and is used for local recipients. At least, that's how it was explained to me, and if I'm wrong then I'm guilty of nothing more than bad information on that front.

That being said though, Make A Wish is something that you can actually see your donations at work, for children who otherwise would never get to do these things. Many of them will not live to see adulthood. Their families are overwhelmed with medical bills and many struggle just to provide basic necessities.

I see no problem with the donation buckets, I gladly gave. It's one of the genuinely good causes. And if the owners of Select Seconds really did this, shame on them!! I could understand if it was as someone posted...cheerleaders trying to go to a competition. Those parents chose their children to do those activities and should be willing to foot the bill, and if they can't afford it they shouldn't go. Same thing with the stupid girl scout cookies. I strongly dislike being accosted by them every time I enter or exit a store. But Make A Wish? Not even the same category and it's silly to compare them.
shtt

Dallas, TX

#13 Feb 13, 2012
Yes it's true that every penny stays in northeast arkansas. 50 area kids w a life threatening illness will get their wish granted over the next 12 months.
AND this is the charity some people save for all year. little kids who have wish friends, or who received a wish themselves, fill change jars and piggy banks all year long just to bring it to a volunteer that day. businesses who believe in the cause also have office fundraisers just for this event because they have been affected.
if we're lucky, wish kids will share their story w us while we're out there. some kids beat their illness. some we honor on that day.
if you have ever been part of a wish, or talked w a child and their family after they have experienced their a wish, you'll stand out there in the sun, wind, rain, snow, or freezing rain for 13 hrs and gladly accept every penny the fantastic people of Northeast Arkansas donate to this.

Jonesboro, AR

#14 Feb 13, 2012
WHATHA wrote:
Charitable worthiness isn't the point of anyone posting. It's method.
Ronald McDonald House is a United Way agency if I'm not mistaken. United Way is a perfect example of correct method in funding charities.
If RMH depended on intersection buckets, they wouldn't be nearly the awesome organization they are.
It's not about the cause, be it a sick child or a huge organization like RMH. It's about method.
And to be fair, if you don't live in a big city, you probably don't know how bad panhandling can be. So in a small community, maybe a special occasion once in a while, like you seem to be talking about from yesterday...okay, maybe that's fine.
But it's hard to argue that their are sick children and their parents coping with illness every day of every year. So the bigger the city, the more the special occasions. And much worse are the beggars who make a living in this way.
How does one decide when and when not to pull out of the pocket when they are being solicited ten times a day? Which is not an exaggeration where I live. It's simple...you have to make it illegal to solicit without a permit. That's the only way.
if i'm not mistaken the United Way agency was the one with HIGH overhead taking most of the monet for managment

Location hidden

#15 Feb 13, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>if i'm not mistaken the United Way agency was the one with HIGH overhead taking most of the monet for managment
Depends on one's definition of "high". UW is the nation's largest charity, raising over four Billion-with-a-B dollars a year.

Their overhead runs between 14 and 15%. This obviously includes personnel, marketing materials, and a very secure IT structure that supports payroll deductions for thousands of companies.

If they were a bad deal, they wouldn't collect four billion bucks.

And I'm still betting Make-A-Wish is a United Way agency, and would have nothing but positive things to say about them. Both of these organizations, UW and MAW, are highly respected, and rightfully so.

Again, my point is soliciting. And again, I admit it may be more reasonable in smaller communities.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#16 Feb 13, 2012
shtt wrote:
Yes it's true that every penny stays in northeast arkansas. 50 area kids w a life threatening illness will get their wish granted over the next 12 months.
AND this is the charity some people save for all year. little kids who have wish friends, or who received a wish themselves, fill change jars and piggy banks all year long just to bring it to a volunteer that day. businesses who believe in the cause also have office fundraisers just for this event because they have been affected.
if we're lucky, wish kids will share their story w us while we're out there. some kids beat their illness. some we honor on that day.
if you have ever been part of a wish, or talked w a child and their family after they have experienced their a wish, you'll stand out there in the sun, wind, rain, snow, or freezing rain for 13 hrs and gladly accept every penny the fantastic people of Northeast Arkansas donate to this.
You are spot on.. It was one day out of a year. I'll continue to dodge traffic until I'm 80 if that's what it takes:) And it is affiliated with United Way, most organizations are more for legalities & tax purposes though & they're already established.
irresponsible

Paragould, AR

#17 Feb 13, 2012
good cause or not, walking in and out of cars on busy streets is dangerous, it's only a matter of time till someone gets killed doing this

Location hidden

#18 Feb 13, 2012
I knew a beautiful girl named Juanitrise (she's passed on now & I have no problem screaming this kids name to the world) She always had a beaming smile. I watched her limp in pain with a dead foot she didn't want to give up, dying being ate by cancer. I watched her lose weight, then her hair. Still she smiled. She took chemo like a champ. Still she smiled, though I know her pain was immense. She lost that foot & part of her leg. She picked up a pair of crutches & mastered them in a week. She proudly kept an active life & still smiled. Her little body became so weak she had to use a motorized wheel chair. Make a wish granted that child more than her family could ever get her. She looked at me joking one day showing me her chair, "You know what Ms Lolita? When I grow up I'm going to get into medicine to cure this b@stard called cancer." She was 14. She didn't get to go to prom, graduate, marry or have children. What little time she had Make a Wish made her comfortable. You don't have to give. It's a rapid wicked illness & sometimes going to the extreme is what needs to be done to get this money. These kids don't have time measured in years.... it's measured in minutes.

“I don't think about you”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#19 Feb 13, 2012
ray elliott wrote:
<quoted text>So your saying your preacher is better than a sick child???? what r u cathlic?????
Good question.

Jonesboro, AR

#20 Feb 13, 2012
The Laptop Lolita wrote:
I knew a beautiful girl named Juanitrise (she's passed on now & I have no problem screaming this kids name to the world) She always had a beaming smile. I watched her limp in pain with a dead foot she didn't want to give up, dying being ate by cancer. I watched her lose weight, then her hair. Still she smiled. She took chemo like a champ. Still she smiled, though I know her pain was immense. She lost that foot & part of her leg. She picked up a pair of crutches & mastered them in a week. She proudly kept an active life & still smiled. Her little body became so weak she had to use a motorized wheel chair. Make a wish granted that child more than her family could ever get her. She looked at me joking one day showing me her chair, "You know what Ms Lolita? When I grow up I'm going to get into medicine to cure this b@stard called cancer." She was 14. She didn't get to go to prom, graduate, marry or have children. What little time she had Make a Wish made her comfortable. You don't have to give. It's a rapid wicked illness & sometimes going to the extreme is what needs to be done to get this money. These kids don't have time measured in years.... it's measured in minutes.
You've told some big lies in your time but I do believe you've outdone yourself with this one. My you do have one vivid imagination. You big fat shameless liar. Why don't you stop with the crap? You don't volunteer and you don't belong to any big shot clubs in town. What you are though is the queen of Topix. Happy now? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Location hidden

#21 Feb 13, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
You've told some big lies in your time but I do believe you've outdone yourself with this one. My you do have one vivid imagination. You big fat shameless liar. Why don't you stop with the crap? You don't volunteer and you don't belong to any big shot clubs in town. What you are though is the queen of Topix. Happy now? You should be ashamed of yourself.
This isn't a lie. I have no shame to deal with, but you do. She was a beautiful girl. Out of respect for her I'm going to curb my tongue with you. If anyone hit an all time low... I believe you just did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ashley madison 19 min Ama1 7
Black Guys Can Open Carry? 46 min Mark 5
Jonesboro Rapist (Aug '09) 1 hr bill 16
Moving to Jonesboro! 1 hr better 17
Open carry legal 1 hr Guest 45
Barton Powersports 1 hr guest 2
Gas Under $ 2 A Gallon , Thanks President Obama 1 hr Guest 59
ADVICE; Don't fall for bait threads 1 hr Guest 54
In God We Trust 1 hr guest 30
Sorry, baggers, State Dept. Says There’s Nothin... 9 hr Guest 116