Direct TV/Local channels

Posted in the Jonesboro Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BigD

Clovis, NM

#1 Jul 29, 2009
Why can't you get local channels with Direct TV? It says locals are included in 96% of the US.Jonesboro is in the the other 4%.This sucks!
SpiritualMan

Little Rock, AR

#2 Jul 29, 2009
BigD wrote:
Why can't you get local channels with Direct TV? It says locals are included in 96% of the US.Jonesboro is in the the other 4%.This sucks!
The phony government established illegal monopolies at the demand of local tv stations and cable companies. KAIT-TV and Sudenlink worked hard to violate your civil Rights and deny you access to the old networks thru satellite in Craighead county. KAIT-TV...good neighbors who turn on you !
Get a digital antenna and a converter box and get about 20 channels including the Memphis stations and KAIT.
dog chalk

Little Rock, AR

#3 Jul 29, 2009
kait has put a block on receiving locals on direct tv. you cant do a thing about it.

United States

#4 Jul 29, 2009
dog chalk wrote:
kait has put a block on receiving locals on direct tv. you cant do a thing about it.
Actually you can. All you have to do is what spiritualman stated. Go to radio shack and buy a $50 digital antenna. If you have an HD tv with a tuner built in then all you have to do is hook the cable to the tv or your cable box. If not then you can get a digital converter and it will allow you to pick up close to 20 local channels. After you make the initial antenna purchase the channels you receive are broadcast over a digital signal that is free.

I have Directv with a DVR box and have my antenna hooked into the back of the DVR where it provides a channel guide and the capability to record programming off the antenna channels. The signal is also an HD signal.

Hope this information helps.

Little Rock, AR

#5 Jul 29, 2009
You can file something with Direct TV and they will grant you what they call local channels. It would be ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. out of other cities.
tiger

State University, AR

#6 Jul 29, 2009
Hey, when buying those antennas are they the kind you have to put on your roof?

United States

#7 Jul 29, 2009
Guest wrote:
You can file something with Direct TV and they will grant you what they call local channels. It would be ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. out of other cities.
You file a waiver that must be approved by your local media station(Kait). The decision is up to them to allow you to receive these channels out of New York, DC, San Diego, Etc. I was approved for Fox and NBC but got denied ABC and CBS.
twisted sister

Bullard, TX

#8 Jul 29, 2009
we bought the antenna the converter box and still only get KAIT.. how do you get the "20" channels?
Max

State University, AR

#9 Jul 29, 2009
With a digital antenna can you get 4,7 and 11 out of Little Rock?
ballparent

North Little Rock, AR

#10 Jul 29, 2009
we have Dish, but same deal about local. The waiver has to be filed and approved also by the Memphis stations. I had trouble with CBS getting approved, but finally did. I now get my ABC, CBS NBC and FOX from San Fransisco and New York. Pay about $12 more a mth
Eagle-Flyer

State University, AR

#11 Jul 29, 2009
twisted sister wrote:
we bought the antenna the converter box and still only get KAIT.. how do you get the "20" channels?
Do you get your Internet through Indco? Total ripoff for $80+ a month for BASIC and the slowest Internet. They're my only option for Internet though so I am trying to get these basics taken off and save $30/month.

I'd like to know more about this antenna too.
twisted sister

Bullard, TX

#12 Jul 29, 2009
Yep I have Ind. co for my internet. I pay 69.95 for a fairly unstable connection but its better then nothing which was my only other option. I have Dish Network for the tv. I have a digital antenna and a converter box but only get KAIT.
anon

Russellville, AR

#13 Jul 29, 2009
No one can get kait on a satellite system. they don't have a satellite uplink. It's not a monopoly. the feds have said (decades ago) this area, "region 8", is the broadcast area for abc affiliate kait. You only need cable or an antenae to get kait's broadcasts, including abc programming for free. you are perfectly welcome to pay for abc from somewhere else in the country or get cable or a digital antenae and pick it up for free. why would they want local viewers to go somewhere else to watch the same programming? If your mom cooked dinner for you would you say "no thanks, I think I'll go out."?
SpiritualMan

Little Rock, AR

#14 Jul 29, 2009
twisted sister wrote:
Your antenna needs to be 30 feet in the air. On the west side of Jonesboro you can pickup 13 or 14 local channels , and on the east side you would receive the 20 channels. Closer to Memphis the more you get. We get 13 channel. No NBC or Fox.
speedygonzalez

Blytheville, AR

#15 Jul 29, 2009
It has nothing to do with KAIT. Directv made a promise years ago that they would carry all local channels for subscribers. I sent a somewhat nasty letter to directv about this and got a response that the directv satellites dont have the space to carry all of the local channels out there. Complain to directv about lying in the first place. Its on them, not on KAIT.
SpiritualMan

Little Rock, AR

#16 Jul 30, 2009
ALL Little Rock channels and Memphis channels are available on both DirecTV and Dish Network. But just as I stated in post #2, it's KAIT and Suddenlinks' government instituted illegal monopolies that prevent Craighead County and most of NE Arkansas that keeps you from having access to those channels. The posts to the contrary are just plain false. Post #15 is ridiculous because Directv already carries Memphis and Little Rock channels. Post #`13 is false because KAIT does have several satellite uplinks. Direct and Dish don't carry KAIT because KAIT doesn't want satellite subscribers in NE Arkansas to have access to the Memphis or Little Rock ABC affiliates. SO they exercise their government instituted illegal monopoly to force you to get ABC programming from them if you want satellite. KAIT can't stop the cable companies from exercising their illegal monopolies for accessing LR and Memphis stations. In the late 90's KAIT-TV denied the local cable company access to KAIT programming to try and force the cable company to carry ONLY KAIT as an ABC affiliate.
I was a DISH retailer for 9 years before EchoStar drove 15,000 small retailers out of business through illegal pricing schemes targeting their small retailers. I am part of a class action lawsuit against Echostar for this. THe factual information I posted is the information we shared with EVERY potential customer during our 9 years as a DISH retailer. It IS confusing because of all the lies KAIT continues to tell to TRY and fool the Public about THEIR illegal monopoly and THEIR violation of the Civil Rights of every citizen in NE Arkansas. If it wasn't for this, you could receive a local programming package of KAIT for ABC and NBC and CBS out of Memphis. KAIT denied ALL waivers we assisted customers with. Blame KAIT for denying you access to local channels on satellite.
I use the term "illegal" monopoly because under the Laws of this country monopolies are NOT legal. The monopoly KAIT has was the FIRST instituted by the geovernment. SInce then, government instituted monopolies have become common.....tv, radio,etc and even like in JOnesboro they instituted monopolies on alcohol sales in our dry county, fireworks and more; all to benefit a small few while violating the civil Rights of EVERY citizen.
anon

Morrilton, AR

#17 Jul 30, 2009
Post #`13 is false because KAIT does have several satellite uplinks.

defending myself here...
kait does not have an uplink. i work there. if you'd like to argue this point, you're welcome to come out there and show us which one of our satellite down link dishes is an uplink.
Eagle-Flyer

State University, AR

#18 Jul 30, 2009
twisted sister wrote:
Yep I have Ind. co for my internet. I pay 69.95 for a fairly unstable connection but its better then nothing which was my only other option. I have Dish Network for the tv. I have a digital antenna and a converter box but only get KAIT.
Unstable is right. I hate my connection going out every freaking week but satellite Internet is capped and more expensive so that's a no go.

Is your antenna indoor or roof/attic mounted?
SpiritualMan

Little Rock, AR

#19 Jul 30, 2009
anon wrote:
Post #`13 is false because KAIT does have several satellite uplinks.
defending myself here...
kait does not have an uplink. i work there. if you'd like to argue this point, you're welcome to come out there and show us which one of our satellite down link dishes is an uplink.
There can be NO defense of KAIT and their violations of every citizens' rights. IF what you say is true, it just further adds to the facts I stated about how KAIT is obstinate about their illegal monopoly on ABC programming. If what you say is true, it's obvious KAIT has no intention of ever changing. And that's very sad. But anyone who has watched their news knows KAIT lives in the dark. KAIT TV doesn't WANT an uplink since they have NO intention of EVER respecting the Rights of the citizens of NE Arkansas. This fascism can NEVER have the respect of decent civilized people.
And btw....Gerald Erickson was my next door neighbor for 20 years.
Hmmm

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#20 Jul 30, 2009
We have Dish Network and they didn't tell us until after everything was finished that we couldn't get local channels. I complained but they don't really care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary Hates Indians 2 min guest 6
I Love Shopping At Target.... 7 min guest 20
BREAKING: Jobless Rate Hits 42 Year Low 11 min Guest 39
Gary Stout 17 min seeking info 1
Help. I'm confused!! 17 min sees one knows one 3
old crimes of jonesboro (May '09) 21 min Artie 329
News Police investigating prescription forgeries 1 hr Here is The Punch... 4
shopping at Target 4 hr Dat Ole Super Pooper 218
More from around the web

Personal Finance