Preacher dies from snake bite

Preacher dies from snake bite

There are 211 comments on the Williamson Daily News Online story from May 31, 2012, titled Preacher dies from snake bite. In it, Williamson Daily News Online reports that:

Wolford was the pastor of the House of the Lord Jesus in Matoaka. A similar congregation, the Church of Lord Jesus in Jolo, located in McDowell County, was part of a documentary about snake handling worship services.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Williamson Daily News Online.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Millstreet

AOL

#1 May 31, 2012
What is of interest in these stories across the print media are the bigoted and ignorant comments by readers: a complete and total disrespect for the religious beliefs and practices of others. Many people just comment without even TRYING to understand, much less respect, the religious beliefs of others. The most bigoted comments come from those who consider themselves quite well-informed and educated.

“Stand Firm For Gods true word ”

Since: Mar 09

Roy, WA

#2 Jun 1, 2012
I am very well-informed of the snake handlers religion and I can boldly say I feel that this is a crime . I don't understand what death has to do with life and what darkness has to due with light. We can try and cut our wrist or take an overdose and we will be locked up and treated for mental illness , but we can take a deadly creature in the house of God and worship it and drink poison and get bitten and for our own actions die and everyone defends it , I'm sorry as I said it is a crime and should be dealt with as a crime by the authority's this is no game people are losing their lives and others are forced to face this world without those they love just because some man misinturpeted the scripture Mk.16:18 , if God had intended for us to involve deadly snakes in our worship then surely there would have been at least one example of it somewhere in God's word , the scriptures are to be proven by more than one , even the more so when your life is requried just to worship.
out the state

Barboursville, WV

#3 Jun 1, 2012
u dont know what u are talkin about i think that u need to get out the bible your self and read. I really dont think this concerns u. This is a free country so what ever religion they want to believe in is up to them not u so leave them alone. U dont have the right to judge them.
Maven

AOL

#4 Jun 1, 2012
Jesus is coming wrote:
I am very well-informed of the snake handlers religion...
And that was the first error of fact in the post. No evidence whatsoever of having read about, or studied that religion's practices, or having attended their services in an attempt to understand their beliefs from THEIR perspective, which is the ONLY way to understand a religion, NOT through the media or second-hand accounts
McDowellite

AOL

#5 Jun 1, 2012
Jesus is coming wrote:
I am very well-informed of the snake handlers religion and I can boldly say I feel that this is a crime . I don't understand what death has to do with life and what darkness has to due with light. We can try and cut our wrist or take an overdose and we will be locked up and treated for mental illness , but we can take a deadly creature in the house of God and worship it and drink poison and get bitten and for our own actions die and everyone defends it , I'm sorry as I said it is a crime and should be dealt with as a crime by the authority's this is no game people are losing their lives and others are forced to face this world without those they love just because some man misinturpeted the scripture Mk.16:18 , if God had intended for us to involve deadly snakes in our worship then surely there would have been at least one example of it somewhere in God's word , the scriptures are to be proven by more than one , even the more so when your life is requried just to worship.
All of which merely serves to prove the point of the lead comment.

Roy, WA

#6 Jun 1, 2012
Maven wrote:
<quoted text>
And that was the first error of fact in the post. No evidence whatsoever of having read about, or studied that religion's practices, or having attended their services in an attempt to understand their beliefs from THEIR perspective, which is the ONLY way to understand a religion, NOT through the media or second-hand accounts
You don't know any facts about me and how you received all that evidence from what I posted is beyond me .For your info I have studied this religion for many years and I have been to their church , the one at the mouth of three forks mount. And as far as I read the media only told facts I didn't see anything said from a personal opinion So may be you should do a little research and may be you wouldn't be so found of it. God word Say's that we are our brothers keepers so in that case I should be concerned with these people killing themselves in the name of a loving God.

Roy, WA

#7 Jun 1, 2012
out the state wrote:
u dont know what u are talkin about i think that u need to get out the bible your self and read. I really dont think this concerns u. This is a free country so what ever religion they want to believe in is up to them not u so leave them alone. U dont have the right to judge them.
I know very well what I'm talking about and this concerns everyone in the community , People are dying here and I know enough of Gods word not to kill myself , And yes I can judge on this , and I am giving a righteous judgment when I say that God's word say's thou shalt not kill (that includes even yourself ) and thou shalt not serve any other gods (snakes) and do not tempt the Lord thy God (by putting your life in danger purposely ), ect. ect . ect.
Maven

AOL

#8 Jun 1, 2012
Jesus is coming wrote:
<quoted text>You don't know any facts about me and how you received all that evidence from what I posted is beyond me .For your info I have studied this religion for many years and I have been to their church , the one at the mouth of three forks mount. And as far as I read the media only told facts I didn't see anything said from a personal opinion So may be you should do a little research and may be you wouldn't be so found of it. God word Say's that we are our brothers keepers so in that case I should be concerned with these people killing themselves in the name of a loving God.
Your post provided all the facts that needed to be known about you: it contained no evidence of study and, more importantly, no signs of knowing anything about that religion from the standpoint of the believers themselves. Your admitted reliance on media reporting, moreover, is telling.
check it

Dayton, OH

#9 Jun 1, 2012
Jesus is coming wrote:
<quoted text>I know very well what I'm talking about and this concerns everyone in the community , People are dying here and I know enough of Gods word not to kill myself , And yes I can judge on this , and I am giving a righteous judgment when I say that God's word say's thou shalt not kill (that includes even yourself ) and thou shalt not serve any other gods (snakes) and do not tempt the Lord thy God (by putting your life in danger purposely ), ect. ect . ect.
You apparently do NOT know enough about this religion to pass judgement. Besides even if you were very well informed on the practices of this community, it it still not your place to pass judgement.
Let me inform you on something. Snakes are NOT worshiped, they are simply part of the worship. People are NOT looking to kill themselves either; everyone is very well aware of what could happen when you pick up a poisonous snake. And if you do not feel instructed by the Spirit, then it is not advised that you handle the snakes. Simple as that.
Once again, I believe you are forgetting the most important rule - almost the whole worlds population prays to the same God. Some choose to worship differently than you do. I don't think its very Christian-like to pass judgement as you do.
Abrahamic Believer

Charles Town, WV

#10 Jun 1, 2012
check it wrote:
<quoted text>
almost the whole worlds population prays to the same God. Some choose to worship differently than you do. I don't think its very Christian-like to pass judgement as you do.

All told, a well-reasoned and well-thought-out post. The quoted portion is especially relevant and pertinent here, since the particular issue is that of judgement, or rather judgementalism. Good job!
check it

Dayton, OH

#11 Jun 1, 2012
Thank you.

Roy, WA

#12 Jun 1, 2012
check it wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently do NOT know enough about this religion to pass judgement. Besides even if you were very well informed on the practices of this community, it it still not your place to pass judgement.
Let me inform you on something. Snakes are NOT worshiped, they are simply part of the worship. People are NOT looking to kill themselves either; everyone is very well aware of what could happen when you pick up a poisonous snake. And if you do not feel instructed by the Spirit, then it is not advised that you handle the snakes. Simple as that.
Once again, I believe you are forgetting the most important rule - almost the whole worlds population prays to the same God. Some choose to worship differently than you do. I don't think its very Christian-like to pass judgement as you do.
If God be in this then why did these people die? sense you know so much then fill us in on this mystery, why do these people die? i'LL BE WAITING FOR YOUR ANSEWER.

Roy, WA

#13 Jun 1, 2012
Abrahamic Believer wrote:
<quoted text>.
All told, a well-reasoned and well-thought-out post. The quoted portion is especially relevant and pertinent here, since the particular issue is that of judgement, or rather judgementalism. Good job!
Hey , tell me this , how many times in the bible is it recorded that someone worshiped God with a snake?
Maven

AOL

#14 Jun 1, 2012
Jesus is coming wrote:
<quoted text>Hey , tell me this , how many times in the bible is it recorded that someone worshiped God with a snake?
The above is yet more proof that you have no understanding of the religion under discussions, nor do you have any insights into their beliefs and practices (which casts doubt on your claims of having "studied it"). Another poster has already pointed out that the snakes are NOT objects of worship, so your request for biblical support for this is irrelevant. And BTW, "googling" biblical verses and cutting and pasting quotes selectively do not give one insights into what the Bible teaches.
Observer

AOL

#15 Jun 2, 2012
Jesus is coming wrote:
<quoted text>If God be in this then why did these people die? sense you know so much then fill us in on this mystery, why do these people die? i'LL BE WAITING FOR YOUR ANSEWER.
If you knew as much about this religion as you claim to know, then you woould know that sign followers frequently point out that Mark does not say that they will not die from snake bites. A basic familiarity with the literature on the subject makes this clear.
Tink

United States

#16 Jun 2, 2012
Question. Are the members of the church going to help Fran with yard work ect.. now that her husband isn't around .? My heart goes out to her and his family.
Omg

United States

#17 Jun 2, 2012
Okay u all are dumb .... I think that u all are dumb for thinking this is a part of religion!?

Roy, WA

#18 Jun 2, 2012
Maven wrote:
<quoted text>
The above is yet more proof that you have no understanding of the religion under discussions, nor do you have any insights into their beliefs and practices (which casts doubt on your claims of having "studied it"). Another poster has already pointed out that the snakes are NOT objects of worship, so your request for biblical support for this is irrelevant. And BTW, "googling" biblical verses and cutting and pasting quotes selectively do not give one insights into what the Bible teaches.
Is that all you know to say? Yes you say I have no insight into their belief and practises , OK then enlighten me sense you know everything about it and ansewer my question , How many times is it recorded in the bible that someone worshiped God with a snake ? Your reaction cast doubt on you knowing anything about their religion or God's word , so come on lets see whatch got , lay it on us . Now you state that snakes are not the objects of worship ? The following signs believers believe that these snakes are reincarnated demon spirits , Do they not? yet they take them into the hose of God and dance and rub and caress them , feed them and take the best of care of them , is that not an object of worship? Do they not know that a snake is not evil , it is just an animal and there will be snakes on the new earth right with God's children?Is. 65:25 , Is.11:8 . bet you didn't know that did ya ? cause if you did you would know better than what they believe ,Or maybe what you believe because you seem to be a undercover believer and in that case surely you know the ansewer to my question.
No my request for bible support is very irrelevant , If it's not bible based it is a cult and if Jesus didn't do it , then neither are we to do it , He is our example you know? I have never googled and copied and pasted scripture , I don't haft to if there's anything I know , it is God's word and what scripture I supplied was off the top of my head , not google , Even a child knows that he is not to kill himself and put his life in severe danger . I ask you a question and you seem to know something about this so instead of saying the same thing over and over why don't you help me out here and ansewer my question, Where is ONE example of worshiping God with snakes in God's word ? I'll even make it easy on ya , you can use the whole 66 books of the bible to supply me a ansewer .

Roy, WA

#19 Jun 2, 2012
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
If you knew as much about this religion as you claim to know, then you woould know that sign followers frequently point out that Mark does not say that they will not die from snake bites. A basic familiarity with the literature on the subject makes this clear.
Observer I can see that you know about as much about this as your friend Maven does , Which if I may say so is shameful on your behalf . You seem to be one in the same . THE DAY I HAFT TO WORRY ABOUT KILLING MYSELF IN ORDER TO WORSHIP GOD THEN I WILL HAFT TO RETHINK MY BELIEVE . Now your ansewer for a reason this man , his father and many more has lost their lives is = sign followers frequently point out that Mark does not say that they will not die from snake bites. Thats not an ansewer and if they know they can die , why do it? I wanna know what glory did this man and the others lives bring to God? or Jesus His Son?
Observer

AOL

#20 Jun 3, 2012
Jesus is coming wrote:
<quoted text>Is that all you know to say? Yes you say I have no insight into their belief and practises ,.... How many times is it recorded in the bible that someone worshiped God with a snake ?
Actually, that is ALL that needs to be said: no insights, no understanding on your part, just mindless bible quoting. Your premises are completely flawed in that your have not proved that they worship snakes or worship God with snakes. In fact, each time you post you reveal less and less understanding of their faith and religion. So, keep 'em comin. All of us on the board are loving it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jolo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 19 min unreals_dad 2,841
Looking for property for sale in Jolo area (Feb '08) Sep 12 TerryR 13
Dennis and Charlotte Jul '16 Just curious 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in West Virgi... (Oct '10) Jul '16 knot 1,765
Kenneth Kennedy Jul '16 Just curious 5
Stanley Dobbs Jul '16 Just curious 7
roxanne sizemore milhoan Jul '16 Better than you 2

Jolo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jolo Mortgages