do local food pantries support illegals?

do local food pantries support illegals?

Posted in the Joliet Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
anti felon

New Lenox, IL

#1 Jun 18, 2013
Why do local food pantries need ESL (English as Second Language) translators? Do we have that many people in New Lenox who don't speak English?
side note

Glencoe, IL

#2 Jun 18, 2013
anti felon wrote:
Why do local food pantries need ESL (English as Second Language) translators? Do we have that many people in New Lenox who don't speak English?
My daughter has a part time job at a grocery store as a cashier. What she has seen is that almost all link card users are minorities. Mostly Mexican. She also noticed they buy the best of almost everything, no sale items or coupons for them. One other thing she has noted is that there are many bulk buys, usually made by men. She was wondering what one would do with 40 jars of mayo or 50 bottles of ketchup. I told her I thought these items were being resold. All on a link card paid for by us.
Tater snake

United States

#3 Jun 18, 2013
From what I see in the LW area they support very large robust people that don't look like They have missed a meal. I've seen them pull in in jeep grand Cherokees, navigators, & tahoes dressed in designer clothes
Jack

Chicago, IL

#4 Jun 18, 2013
And we wonder why this country is in trouble?
anti felon

New Lenox, IL

#5 Jun 18, 2013
Another friend told me she saw a hispanic couple with 5 kids under the age of 8. If you can't feed them, don't have them!

I'm tired of helping people who continue to feed off my hard work.
whatever

Frankfort, IL

#6 Jun 19, 2013
anti felon wrote:
Another friend told me she saw a hispanic couple with 5 kids under the age of 8. If you can't feed them, don't have them!
I'm tired of helping people who continue to feed off my hard work.
You're judging without having seen with your own eyes. Maybe they were babysitting a family member or friends kids. Maybe they all weren't their kids. Maybe they had good jobs and lost them and need a little help. Anyone can get there at anytime. It is not our place to judge. If they all are their kids maybe they had jobs and were able to take care of them just fine until the bad economy and Obama hit. Maybe your friend made it up. If you didn't see it yourself you don't know that it happened that way. Since when is donating to a food pantry the law? If you don't want to donate then don't. Nobody is forcing you.
whatever

Frankfort, IL

#7 Jun 19, 2013
side note wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter has a part time job at a grocery store as a cashier. What she has seen is that almost all link card users are minorities. Mostly Mexican. She also noticed they buy the best of almost everything, no sale items or coupons for them. One other thing she has noted is that there are many bulk buys, usually made by men. She was wondering what one would do with 40 jars of mayo or 50 bottles of ketchup. I told her I thought these items were being resold. All on a link card paid for by us.
Your daughter has no business judging what people are buying and how they are paying. She is paid to ring the products up and accept payment. She is not there to be judge. I'm assuming your behavior is rubbing off on her. Whenever I hear employees say anything about a customer using a Link Card I promptly report it to management. It is not their place and no I'm not a Link Card user. I simply cannot bring myself to judge people who have fallen on hard times which is very easy these days. I love grocery store cashiers who are so high and mighty with their positions in life that they can judge a family by race and use of assistance. It sounds like you and your daughter have some growing up to do.
Wondering

Joliet, IL

#8 Jun 19, 2013
I have seen many of a certain culture ... Paying with $100 bills. Hmmmm just makes me wonder.
la la land

New Lenox, IL

#9 Jun 19, 2013
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story...

Billions in LINK card fraud. Every hard working taxpayer should be outraged. Only a fool would "assume" this is no big deal. I love the "don't judge" holier than thou attitude. Stupidity is not a virtue.
Obamacalling

Mokena, IL

#10 Jun 19, 2013
Obamaphones are being sold for drug money.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/18/vi...

Carlos Slim world's richest man gets rich off Obamaphones.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/10/carlos-s...

The poor get richer and Americans are taking it in the backside.
Kathie

Joliet, IL

#11 Jun 19, 2013
Tater snake wrote:
From what I see in the LW area they support very large robust people that don't look like They have missed a meal. I've seen them pull in in jeep grand Cherokees, navigators, & tahoes dressed in designer clothes
Hello, My name is Kathie. I am the Family Services Manager at New Lenox Township. It is part of my job to oversee and run the food pantry here at the Township. All people who use the food pantry must live in New Lenox and prove it. They fill out an application and must provide photo id and utility bill. If you think that all you say above is true, I invite you to come down to the office and volunteer to work in the pantry. You will see first hand who comes in for food. I have to tell you that they don't quite match your description. Please this invitation is open to all others who doubt or are suspicious of the people who visit our food pantry.
whatever

Frankfort, IL

#12 Jun 19, 2013
Kathie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, My name is Kathie. I am the Family Services Manager at New Lenox Township. It is part of my job to oversee and run the food pantry here at the Township. All people who use the food pantry must live in New Lenox and prove it. They fill out an application and must provide photo id and utility bill. If you think that all you say above is true, I invite you to come down to the office and volunteer to work in the pantry. You will see first hand who comes in for food. I have to tell you that they don't quite match your description. Please this invitation is open to all others who doubt or are suspicious of the people who visit our food pantry.
The above posters are complaining about a food pantry that takes donations. It is not a requirement of people to donate. These people have nothing better to do than to sit in judgment. I am curious who is on here reporting about what kind of cars people who use the pantry drive. Are there people sitting outside the township building all day watching this or is it coming from someone closer to the township?
Hmm

Frankfort, IL

#13 Jun 19, 2013
side note wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter has a part time job at a grocery store as a cashier. What she has seen is that almost all link card users are minorities. Mostly Mexican. She also noticed they buy the best of almost everything, no sale items or coupons for them. One other thing she has noted is that there are many bulk buys, usually made by men. She was wondering what one would do with 40 jars of mayo or 50 bottles of ketchup. I told her I thought these items were being resold. All on a link card paid for by us.
So is your daughter being raised to be a racist? Is she being raised to judge people she deems lower than herself? You must be a proud parent. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree so they say. The people complaining about this really need to find better things to do with their time. Maybe donate your time to working with the less fortunate. Maybe you won't be such a bigot.
side note

Morton Grove, IL

#14 Jun 19, 2013
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Your daughter has no business judging what people are buying and how they are paying. She is paid to ring the products up and accept payment. She is not there to be judge. I'm assuming your behavior is rubbing off on her. Whenever I hear employees say anything about a customer using a Link Card I promptly report it to management. It is not their place and no I'm not a Link Card user. I simply cannot bring myself to judge people who have fallen on hard times which is very easy these days. I love grocery store cashiers who are so high and mighty with their positions in life that they can judge a family by race and use of assistance. It sounds like you and your daughter have some growing up to do.
My daughter is not judging anyone, she is simply making an observation. She certainly has never been anything but business like at her job. One would think that if you were shopping with a link card you would want to really stretch your dollars. 50 dollars worth of chicken will go a lot further than 50 dollars worth of steak. These are not people who seem to have fallen on hard times since they often have IPhones and lots of cash to pay for beer and liquor. Many are scamming the system. Maybe you have some growing up to do.
side note

Morton Grove, IL

#15 Jun 19, 2013
Hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
So is your daughter being raised to be a racist? Is she being raised to judge people she deems lower than herself? You must be a proud parent. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree so they say. The people complaining about this really need to find better things to do with their time. Maybe donate your time to working with the less fortunate. Maybe you won't be such a bigot.
Not a bigot or racist but we do know right from wrong. Scamming the system is wrong. Taking things when you don't need them is wrong.
no more link cards

New Lenox, IL

#16 Jun 19, 2013
If I were behind someone in line at the grocery store who was buying the best meat, name brand items, not using coupons and using a Link Card, I would be judgmental too. In my opinion, welfare recipients should be required to shop at government run grocery stores, where only healthy food is sold. No pop, potato chips, cookies, donuts or any other fat laden food that causes health issues that end up costing the taxpayers even more money. You want it for free? Then deal with it.

Since: Apr 07

New Lenox, IL

#17 Jun 19, 2013
side note wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a bigot or racist but we do know right from wrong. Scamming the system is wrong. Taking things when you don't need them is wrong.
But rich people people and corporations do this all the time and have been doing it for over a hundred years. The Teapot Scandel, Standard oil, etc. Why do the oil companies need tax breaks and tax subsidies? YOU are the one who ends up making up the difference for what they don't pay.

Also, what about the 300 Billion Broadband Scandal? ISP's have gotten tax breaks and subsidies in return for laying fiber optic cable all over the country so that every American could have high speed internet. Guess what? They never did! They pocketed the money and make you use ancient copper phone lines or coax cable. Few places in the country have fiber to the house, let alone the town.

So before you criticize those who have fallen on hard times, those who can't find jobs, etc, look at the wealthy who scam and abuse the system, and refuse to pay THEIR share, because you ultimately will.
Volunteer

Summit Argo, IL

#18 Jun 19, 2013
I volunteer for a local pantry.I agree with Tater snake I do see people come in with fancy cars and some well dressed. But before we judge we should hear some of these peoples storys. Some people are just coming into hard times and are trying to bail somehow out of that big car payment or its just a matter of time before the repo man pays a visit. Then again I am sure their are others that abuse the system. But what goes around comes around. I pray for everyone reading this,that they will never fall in a situation like this.
Nice town

Mokena, IL

#19 Jun 19, 2013
My sister is one of the people who depends on her local food pantry from time to time. She has a decent car because my aunt offered it to her when her husband (our uncle) died suddenly last year. She has an iPhone because she's on my parents' family plan. She has nice clothes because my parents and I give her generous birthday and Christmas gifts to make sure she has professional clothing for work. Her ex-husband doesn't pay child support and left her and her sons with a pile of debt. Matthew 7:1.
Hmm

Frankfort, IL

#20 Jun 19, 2013
side note wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a bigot or racist but we do know right from wrong. Scamming the system is wrong. Taking things when you don't need them is wrong.
You don't know for sure if who you accuse of "scamming the system" is indeed doing just that. I sure hope you never have to deal with falling on hard times like some of our local neighbors have. If you do we can only hope there is someone just like yourself at the local pantry all ready to judge you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Officer gets away with murder......this ... 7 min CaptSpaulding 31
stop whistling at women! 10 min Appalled 5
THANK You Alabama!! DOUG JONES WINS!! 51 min Neighbor is a weenie 7
breaking news!!!!! 1 hr MPMMB 760
Do Republicans even care about sexual assault? 4 hr CaptSpaulding 9
neighbor keeps blocking my mailbox (Apr '11) 5 hr PostOfficeProblem 63
Corruption 5 hr SuckItUpButtercup 3

Joliet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Joliet Mortgages