Midwest Generation Public Hearing Tue...

Midwest Generation Public Hearing Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9AM

Posted in the Joliet Forum

CleanAir

Romeoville, IL

#1 Jan 23, 2013
Public Hearing – SO2 -Sulphur Dioxide
Midwest Generation & IL Pollution Control Board
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
9 – as necessary
Joliet Junior College
1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, IL
Health Professions Center, Building U, Room 1022
Midwest Generation (MWG) was purchased from ComEd in 1999. They operate five coal-fired power plants. Three in Will County: Romeoville and two in Joliet, as well one in Waukegan and one in Pekin. The power generated is sold to the highest bidder and only a small portion supplies to residents in IL.
MWG declared bankruptcy last month. They owe hundreds of millions of dollars to creditors, they are in litigation, they have been cut-off by their parent company, and they don’t appear to have any means to raise the funds they need to keep operating. But they’re ignoring all of that.
This month MWG sought, and received, Romeoville’s approval for inclusion in the DesPlaines Valley Enterprise Zone. Inclusion in the Enterprise Zone, which was previously approved by Lockport, Joliet, Rockdale and Will County, will give MWG a tax break. However, it is doubtful the tax reduction will go far in alleviating MWG’s massive debt.
In addition to inclusion in the Enterprise Zone, MWG is petitioning the Illinois Pollution Control Board (IPCB) for a two year variance (from 2013 to 2015) on plant upgrades that are mandated by the State of Illinois. The State regulations are meant to ensure ongoing reductions in air emissions. One of the primary targets of the State regulations is sulphur dioxide (SO2).
SO2 is a leading cause of respiratory disease including Asthma and COPD. It’s very corrosive and, when mixed with moisture/water in the atmosphere, causes acid rain. It is one of the toxic gasses in the “smoke” you see spewing out of their stacks.
MWG’s request for a variance blatantly expresses their disregard for the health and welfare of Will County’s 677,560 residents affected by SO2 (those within a 35 mile radius of each plant are most affected.)We, the poor shmucks that have to breathe the toxins spewing from their stacks, don’t even appear on their radar. They think nothing of forcing us to inhale SO2 for another two years.
They will make noise about how environmentally conscious they are, but fail to point out that all environmental improvements they have ever made have been required by law, not done out of any sense of decency or concern for the environment. You can bet they will follow standard operating procedure and trot out MWG employees and union reps to extoll the virtues of the corporation and present “woe to us if they don’t get the variance” stories.
This situation with MWG didn’t pop up overnight. The approximately 845 MWG employees have seen, or should have seen, the writing on the wall for quite some time. They are extremely worried about losing their jobs, especially in today’s economy, and they are in the unfortunate position of defending their employer while knowing full-well that employer is endangering the health and welfare of thousands upon thousands of area residents.
If you are suffering with asthma, COPD or other respiratory conditions; if you would like to keep your loved ones safe and healthy, or if you are just disgusted with Corporate Greed, this is your opportunity to speak out! Attend Jan, 29th Public Hearing and tell the IPCB, in no uncertain terms, how you feel about MWG’s toxic air and groundwater pollution for another two years!
We strongly recommend the Illinois Pollution Control Board extend to Midwest Generation the same consideration Midwest Generation has extended to area residents throughout the years: NONE.
SAY “NO” TO THE VARIANCE

Since: Dec 09

Romeoville, IL

#2 Jan 28, 2013
I fully agree with you but this will all pass with ease. Romeoville already gave them a tax break so a pollution break is like a freebie, it wont cost Romeoville any $$$$.

I want a tax break for living here since I support the tax base with my money.
hello

Romeoville, IL

#3 Jan 28, 2013
RomeoHitman wrote:
I fully agree with you but this will all pass with ease. Romeoville already gave them a tax break so a pollution break is like a freebie, it wont cost Romeoville any $$$$.
I want a tax break for living here since I support the tax base with my money.
you want a tax breaak..i got one....MOVE
Stop Coal

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jan 29, 2013
Any reports back from the hearing?

Romeoville, IL

#5 Jan 30, 2013
hello wrote:
<quoted text>you want a tax breaak..i got one....MOVE
If I moved who would go to work to pay for your welfare checks ?
hello

Romeoville, IL

#6 Jan 30, 2013
RomeoHitman wrote:
<quoted text>
If I moved who would go to work to pay for your welfare checks ?
you are so misinformed..i probably funnd your lifestyle wiith my contribution.you on the other hand are a topix troll and stir up trouble not only in the romeoville forum..so..that being said ..let me get back to my work so i can support you and the other loosers..

Romeoville, IL

#7 Feb 1, 2013
hello wrote:
<quoted text>you are so misinformed..i probably funnd your lifestyle wiith my contribution.you on the other hand are a topix troll and stir up trouble not only in the romeoville forum..so..that being said ..let me get back to my work so i can support you and the other loosers..
I refuse to argue with you. I will not let you drag me down to your level so you can beat me with experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ted/Carly rally in Indiana...NOBODY shows... 1 hr Mr Trump 3
Will the REAL Lway taxpayers unite! 3 hr Gutless 2,592
Anthony's pancake house 3 hr Hungry 4
Lockport is SOL these days 7 hr Ron from Second S... 5
Where is Jesse Jackson? 7 hr Rainbow that 2
Balderman vs United Union Parents 8 hr Lisa Dorner Murphy 44
White Supremacist Police Wife Andie Pauly (Ange... 10 hr Ang is a bj expert 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Joliet Mortgages