Area known as The Hill
p2

New Lenox, IL

#62 Nov 5, 2011
rocky wrote:
i grew up in j-town, some of my best friends in hs grew up on the hill, one thing about us people from joliet is we are tough, loyal, hard-working people!!!!! if you don't like it, don't visit our town
Have they really tore down a lot of the old buildings? I heard a lot about rehabbing out there, and just wonder if it is true. The last time I drove up that way, was about ten years ago. I guess I could always google it, but was hoping for some authentic opinions ;-)
michael duncan

Saint Paul, MN

#63 Nov 6, 2011
Trouser Trout wrote:
I Live in lockport and I remember there used to be a store at the top of the actual hill that went down by the salvage yards ,and the hothouses.that place had the best ribs,I would go in there all the time.and If i remember when I was little my parents went in there but I believe it was a grocery store then,back in late 60,early 70's.Anyway thanks for bringing back lost memories.
that was Hays store LOL I got penny candy from there all the time
michael duncan

Saint Paul, MN

#64 Nov 6, 2011
I love the hill and all of my friends and classmates that grow up with me Back in the 70s and 80's it was great. Yes I was poor but I had good people that kept me on the right track . I think it comes down to good parents and the old cats to show the kids the right way. I do it everyday . I would love to see ever kid make it but I know everyone won't . But I will keep fighting for them . Just like the one's that did for me
p2

New Lenox, IL

#65 Nov 6, 2011
michael duncan wrote:
I love the hill and all of my friends and classmates that grow up with me Back in the 70s and 80's it was great. Yes I was poor but I had good people that kept me on the right track . I think it comes down to good parents and the old cats to show the kids the right way. I do it everyday . I would love to see ever kid make it but I know everyone won't . But I will keep fighting for them . Just like the one's that did for me
I wish there were more people like you, Michael.
Joker

Coal City, IL

#66 Nov 6, 2011
Just bull doze the hill area and send the free loading section 8's back to shitcago
Cindy Marble

United States

#67 Nov 6, 2011
I grew up on the "HILL" and moved away when I got older. I lived in apartment complex for five years in CRESTHILL and just recently moved back to the hill to get away from all the break-ins, and dope feens in the area! Grant it, the area I live in is mostly older people but it's STILL THE HILL and I feel I feel a lot more comfortable going to my car at night than I ever did in the "prestegious" Crest Hill neighboorhood! Crime in Joliet is EVERYWHERE!!!! The hill just gets more attention! So to all of you that have so many negative things to say about the gang bangin dope sellin crack smokin "Trash" from the hill, beware because there headed to a neighborhood near YOU!!!! Only you won't recognize them..........They look a lil "different" now!!!!!!!
Cindy Marble

United States

#68 Nov 6, 2011
Dragonfly wrote:
I got pulled over because I was driving slowly trying to look at street signs ( which there were none) to figure out where I was! I told the policeman I was lost and he said (and I quote) " A white girl in this neighborhood? You must be lost! Follw me out to the main street" and so I did!
Sorry if you live there, but don't take it on us!
I'm sorry hun, but I find it really hard to believe that a cop would say "A white girl in this neighborhood? You must be lost!" I see white girls (and guys) up here all the time and so do the cops! Only they"re NEVER lost!!! They know EXACTLY where they're going and what they're going FOR!!!.......I'm just saying :)
Cindy Marble

United States

#69 Nov 6, 2011
Joliet Mother of 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have no idea what we're talking about?? HAHAHAHAH and shorewoods passing you up huh? hah.. Lay off the drugs honey. Maybe if you get off the hill it might be easier. lmao. unreal. Sticking up for the slums. What in the hell is wrong with people. Yea, you're right. Maybe they should slap a classy restaurant in the middle of the hill too.. Gee I don't know why they don't.
The only difference between a crack house on the hill and a meth house in shorewood are the property taxes sweetie! People really need a reality check..........smh!
reality check

New Lenox, IL

#70 Nov 6, 2011
Cindy Marble wrote:
<quoted text>
The only difference between a crack house on the hill and a meth house in shorewood are the property taxes sweetie! People really need a reality check..........smh!
comparing a crack house in joliet and a meth house in shorewood isn't evidence that shorewood is near joliet in terms of crime
Mer

Chicago, IL

#71 Nov 7, 2011
reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
comparing a crack house in joliet and a meth house in shorewood isn't evidence that shorewood is near joliet in terms of crime
Correct, in Shorewood its the housekeepers and poolboys that are doing the meth.
p2

New Lenox, IL

#72 Nov 7, 2011
Mer wrote:
<quoted text>Correct, in Shorewood its the housekeepers and poolboys that are doing the meth.
Last year, there was a meth house that was busted 'near' us. The neighborhood's average purchase price is 750k... Probably why they couldn't afford the furniture!
do something

Romeoville, IL

#73 Mar 21, 2012
I was born in Joliet. Lived in Lockport until I was about seven years old. As a child living there we had no running inside water. We actually had two outhouses out back. My mother use to have to take a latern out at night if we had to do anything besides urinate. Otherwise, we had what you call a pee-pot! it was always stationed in a corner behind a door. We as children have some of our most fond memories form living on the "Hill" The only gang I can remember way back when were the "Black Panthers" and to be honest from what I can remember, they were not bad like the so-called gangs today. We moved away to an entirely different state. It was like going from RAGS TO RICHES. As an adult after coming back to Joliet, I would never want to go back to the hill, it would be like goiong backwards
Greg

Canton, NC

#74 Aug 25, 2012
Boy people talk alot of shit on here, but can't back it up. Every white person on here talking shit i bet don't got shit themselves but trying to make themselves feel good. I was born and raised the hill real shit its bad as he'll now. So stop saying shit getting better because it's not. We as black people as a whole not Doing shit to better ourselves. Stop depending on us working class people to take care of your lazy black ass and get a fucking job get off of welfare sec 8 link. Make a long story short GET A JOB
Joker

Manhattan, IL

#75 Aug 25, 2012
Greg from Maywood you need to take some English classes. Your "great" education from Fairmont school shows in your inability to form a coherent sentence. Go back to the "Hill" you piece of trash and sit on the front porch like the rest of the community.
Orland Park

Tinley Park, IL

#76 Dec 26, 2012
Look I know the Hill better than anyone, some utility workers have even found a dead man outside of a food mart on woodruff shot in the head 3 times. I've worked everywhere including Englewood and for the Hill's size to be compared to Englewood is pretty terrible. Crime ridden, drug manipulated and not to mention all the pitbull attacks and the cruelty against animals I've had to call animal control so many times not just because I was in danger but because the way they keep their poor dogs and cats. How in the hell does a city end up looking like a third world country or worse? OH yeah give people free everything that why they learn the value of nothing and treat things as such (0 value). Our government allocating people at its finest. Send them all down joliet township down 53 and keep all the projects down there far and away from the city so that at least people have a shot a rebuilding and making things right. Start taking guns away from people pretty soon the whole goddamn place will look like that sh it hole.
Danny

Scottsdale, AZ

#77 Nov 18, 2013
Not everyone can chose where they grow up at, you just gotta make the best.of it and let God show you the light. How can you judge a place that you spend only a short time in? Bad people are everywhere and so are good people. God bless every color and poor or rich we all need God and love
Joker

Manhattan, IL

#78 Nov 19, 2013
There is no "God." God is a fictional character used by many to give themselves hope for a future
the movement

Manhattan, IL

#79 Nov 26, 2013
I do insurance work on the "Hill" never have any problems.
Westside

Wilmington, IL

#80 Jan 22, 2014
The Hill s comprised of old small homes and ran down public housing, there SOME okay homes and residents but very few its really NO PLACE t raise children, I live in the Cathedral area of Joliet
Lizbeth

Plainfield, IL

#81 Jun 10, 2014
Dawn Garcia wrote:
I lived in Joliet for almost all my life. I left in 1995. To many drugs and gangs for me. Well news flash ***** It's Everywhere!******
No matter where you go it is there. If you think you are above it please tell me where you live because thats where I want to move so my children wont be around it.
I have lived here most of my life and when I didn't live here I was in Rhinelander,Wi middle of no where up by the UP of Michigan no gangs still drugs better than here to raise kids but you give up a lot of conviences

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More Winning 2 hr Harvey Wallbanger 7
Republicans pathetically looked for hope with D... 2 hr MPMMB 16
WHO is responsible for the Government shut-down? 2 hr MPMMB 3
Fire and Fury 2 hr Jus Sayin 319
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' 3 hr Luci 21
Trump Wins Again 3 hr Housewife 13
NorthPoint Vote! 4 hr What 23

Joliet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance