Mistrial declared in murder case afte...

Mistrial declared in murder case after mom apparently had seizure

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 8, 2007, titled Mistrial declared in murder case after mom apparently had seizure. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A mistrial was declared Wednesday in the case of a mother charged with murder in the over-the-counter sleeping pill overdose of her toddler daughter, a day after the woman suffered an apparent seizure in court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Grandma Sue

Elgin, IL

#1 Nov 11, 2007
Why do they keep trying to shut down this post? Obviously her family doesn't want anyone to know the truth!
Found out

United States

#2 Nov 16, 2007
Nobody cares. Poor people's children die every day. This will get swept under the rug. She is being released after doing doing 2 mos. in a real prison. She had enough resources though for a pricey lawyer. If she was black she would be beind bars for 60 years. Nobody will even notice until she kills another baby. Nobody could be bothered to terminate her rights. We were told that children are the perfect victims-they can't tell their tale-especially when they are dead. I guess she committed the perfect crime-poison your child and say it was an accident!!
Found out

United States

#3 Nov 16, 2007
Hey, who used my name.
SueZ

Roselle, IL

#4 Dec 4, 2007
Found out wrote:
Hey, who used my name.
Sorry didn't mean too. Just wanted to let people know that a child murderer is being released on December 20. I wonder how her prison mates feel about the situation. Queenie murders her baby and is walking out while they are left to rot for insignificant offenses just because they didn't have the money to hire a pricey lawyer! What a justice system this is. They didn't even terminate her parental rights! What's the deal with that? Money exchanging hands? Everybody supposed to shut up and cover up? They won't be happy until a second baby is killed! Then it will be shoulda, woulda, coulda...... I'm sick of these judges that don't have the ba!!s to keep murderers off our streets! Or is it all just a buddy system out in Will County? Something's rotten!
Wake up

Ingleside, IL

#5 Dec 5, 2007
"Although Campbell-Merker said her daughter had the pills earlier in the day, the evidence showed that she gave her daughter four to 12 of the pills at dinner time, DeBord argued."
Joliet SUX

Villa Park, IL

#6 Dec 29, 2007
Wake up wrote:
"Although Campbell-Merker said her daughter had the pills earlier in the day, the evidence showed that she gave her daughter four to 12 of the pills at dinner time, DeBord argued."
He also indicated that putting her in charge of young children was a trajedy waiting to happen. Now they think they are entitled to visitation so that history can repeat itself? The previously violated a court order that indicated the baby was to supervised at all times when with Sarah and they repeatedly left her along with the infant. She was removed from their home then, but why were no CRIMINAL CHARGES FILED AGAINST THEM!!! THE LAST TIME I CHECKED VIOLATING A COURT ORDER WAS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE. ITS CONTEMPT OF COURT AND IN THIS CASE WOULD BE CHILD ENDANGERMENT!!! IS SOMEBODY NOT ON THE BALL OR WHAT?
Grandma Sue

South Elgin, IL

#7 Jan 11, 2008
THOSE WHO DON'T LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT THEM!!!!!!
Grandma Sue

South Elgin, IL

#8 Jan 11, 2008
What's the matter with the system over there in Will County? Who exactly is running the show? Maybe someone should investigate. Letting murderers and child molesters out on the street every day to harm more innocent babies! Is money exchanging hands or don't they have any balls? Maybe we should start bringing in the ARDC.
Wake up

Ingleside, IL

#9 Feb 25, 2008
Sarah's out now-doing what she does best-spreading her legs and having her family pull cons. Following in her mother's footsteps. You must be so proud! You even upped her one better-actually killing the child and getting away with it with your disability crap. I hope you are reading this Bi$ch!! Maybe someday they will dig up the other body! Did the detectives even know that your family has two other houses on the same street? Perhaps they just dug in the wrong place. Someday somebody will get YOU and you will get YOURS. If you believe in the bible like your phoney bible-thumping family (the ones with the bible in one hand and a joint in the other) then the bible says "an eye for an eye." People who don't learn from their mistakes are bound to repeat them.
Watching Will County

Newark, IL

#10 Feb 26, 2008
Joliet Woman Charged With Killing Baby Daughter
27-Year-Old Woman Accused Of Poisoning Daughter
Get breaking news alerts
JOLIET, Ill.(STNG) ― A Joliet woman has been charged with murder in connection with the January death of her 19-month-old daughter, according to a release from the Will County State's Attorney's office.

Sarah Campbell-Merker, 27, of the 900 block of Audrey Avenue in the southwestern suburb, was charged with first-degree murder for allegedly causing her daughter, Jaycee Merker, to ingest diphenhydramine, knowing that doing so created a strong probability of death or great bodily harm, the release said.

Diphenhydramine is an over-the-counter antihistamine commonly used to treat symptoms associated with allergies, hay fever or the common cold. The medicine also can be taken to treat motion sickness or to induce sleep.

A Will County judge on Tuesday morning approved an arrest warrant with a $2 million bond, and Campbell-Merker surrendered without incident to Joliet police on Tuesday afternoon, the release said. She must post $200,000 in cash to secure her release from the Will County Jail while awaiting trial.

Jaycee was found dead in her crib by her father on the morning of Jan. 10, according to the release. An autopsy determined cause of death to be "diphenhydramine intoxication."
(Source: Sun-Times News Group Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2006. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Grandma Sue

Saint Charles, IL

#11 Feb 5, 2009
Not only did she get away with murder, they are trying to give her the chance to do it again! How many bodies does it take to keep children away from these people?
ironic

Baton Rouge, LA

#12 Jul 7, 2012
i was locked up with her, for forgery and did more time than her. we were in medical in red scrubs together.
Lulu

United States

#13 Jul 8, 2012
Don't worry everyone, I know it sounds like this monster got off easy but remember, KARMA is the biggest bit@h of them all and it WILL get her eventually!!!
Dear Merkers

Mokena, IL

#14 Dec 27, 2013
You are all white trash, uneducated, pathetic scum.

Jason is a drunk.

He abused me many years ago, and said he was grateful I miscarried our child. I am grateful that that child went peacefully... Who knows what drugs he would've fed it in the 90's.
Brittany

Geneva, IL

#15 Jul 24, 2014
Dear Merkers wrote:
You are all white trash, uneducated, pathetic scum.
Jason is a drunk.
He abused me many years ago, and said he was grateful I miscarried our child. I am grateful that that child went peacefully... Who knows what drugs he would've fed it in the 90's.
That is the most disgusting and ignorant thing you can post on here. Thats my niece you are talking about, have some respect! He loves his girls more then anything in this world. And in the 90's...you were obviously still kids back then! You have no idea what was going on here so keep you comments to yourself..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Liberal Logic 11 min 4Real 70
Vanishing Lockport Council Minutes 13 min No Spin Zone 26
The Lockport City Clerk and the missing minutes... 15 min No Spin Zone 5
The top ten reasons FOR single payer..... 56 min 4Real 76
Why Surprising numbers of Republicans have been... 1 hr 4Real 13
Truth and Honesty about America 1 hr Face reality R 15
Bernie Sanders blasts Donald Trump as ďan embar... 1 hr 4Real 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Joliet Mortgages