Campaign Financing
Looking to Understand

Lockport, IL

#1 Mar 2, 2013
Does anyone know much about campaign financing? Admittedly, I do not, but this feels really peculiar to me. If you look at Turner's campaign documentation, which goes back to 2005, the only large donors on record to his campaign are him or his business.

I've looked at other local and state candidates just because I was curious. It seems that all others get money from individuals, business, unions, and (more at the state level) special interest groups.

Also, I'm sure owning a political mailing company goes a long way, but when we've done mailings at work they're typically over $1 per house (half of that is postage). How is he doing all of these city wide mailings and political calls on no donated money?

I'm not claiming impropriety because I honestly don't know, it just seems really strange to me. Does anyone who knows more about political financing care to weigh in?
KG Dad

Lockport, IL

#2 Mar 2, 2013
I smell a rat. This guy refinanced his house to run in elections therefore he had no money. You are by law suppose to publish your donations. I think there is something fishy going on. Remember when he took over he wanted election lawyers and for what? Interesting, very interesting. Where is his money coming from? Those mailers are not cheap and someone said he is doing business with the city, is that so? Rumor has it, he is doing badly!
State Laws

Lockport, IL

#3 Mar 2, 2013
Very strict laws about this, very strict! It would be interesting if everyone looked into this as where is the campaign money coming from? Steve has had fundraisers and is raising his money that way, but of course from the other side it is shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh time. We don't get answers to those types of questions. There is a certain amount that they have to tell the State.
Looking to Understand

Lockport, IL

#4 Mar 2, 2013
From what I can tell you only need to disclose donations over $500 (or at least that's what it looks like on the state's website).

I know the laws are really strict, but I don't actually know what they are.

It just seems strange that Turner has been campaigning for decades around here and the only donations he has over $500 are from himself and his company.

He DEFINITELY did mailers for the city's electric program. He said so during one of the council meetings. If that work was bid out i guess that's ok, but I still dont like it.

Again, not saying anything is wrong per se, i just dont get it.
lockport

Lockport, IL

#5 Mar 3, 2013
4 post above. same time frame. the usual lockport forum, same person replying. wow you really fooled me!
Jerry

Lockport, IL

#6 Mar 3, 2013
It appears that Turner's standard practice is to funnel all of his campaign donations through his business, thereby concealing the true source of the money.
If a candidate for public office is having his campaign bought and paid for by some special interest group, the voters have a right to know about it.
Looking to Understand

Lockport, IL

#7 Mar 3, 2013
lockport wrote:
4 post above. same time frame. the usual lockport forum, same person replying. wow you really fooled me!
Not true. I posted the question and did some work. About an hour later I had 2 responses and I responded to them.

Regardless, you can go to the state board of election website and see that what I posted was true. I'm not sure why it's such a bad thing to try to understand more about something that doesn't make sense regarding one of our mayoral candidates.
Wisdom this time

Lockport, IL

#8 Mar 3, 2013
Jerry wrote:
It appears that Turner's standard practice is to funnel all of his campaign donations through his business, thereby concealing the true source of the money.
If a candidate for public office is having his campaign bought and paid for by some special interest group, the voters have a right to know about it.
I agree wholeheartedly. It is really sinister what is happening with his campaign. There is NO transparency. There is no transparency in this government structure at all. It will remain the same as long as the people can be told one thing and then he does what he wants which is nothing. LOOK AROUND PEOPLE, GET THE MESSAGE PEOPLE, AND LOOK INTO THE FINANCING AND WHAT HAS HAPPENED THE LAST FEW YEARS ON THERE. YOU EITHER FOLLOW HIM OR YOU GIVE THE CANDIDATE THAT IS BEING STRAIGHT WITH YOU A CHANCE TO SHOW THIS COMMUNITY THAT IT IS WORTH SOMETHING. RIGHT NOW...IT IS GOING NOWHERE. I LOOKED AROUND YESTERDAY AND I THOUGHT THIS DOWNTOWN IS FRIGHTFUL, THE ORDINANCES ARE NOT FOLLOWED, AND THERE IS NO DEVELOPMENT. WENT OUT TO EAT LAST NIGHT TO ROMEOVILLE. IT WAS DELICIOUS, CAN'T COME HERE. ALL THE MONEY IS PUMPED INTO OTHER COMMUNITIES DUE TO THESE PEOPLE. FOR GOSH SAKES, LET'S USE WISDOM! WITH DEVELOPMENT, YOUR TAXES WILL GO DOWN, WITH RESTAURANTS YOU CAN ENJOY LOCKPORT, WITH STORES YOU CAN ENJOY SHOPPING LIKE OTHER SURROUNDING TOWNS, YOU MAY FINALLY DRINK YOUR OWN WATER, AND NOT FEAR THE DOWNTOWN WILL SUFFER IN ANY WAY. ALSO BE CLEVER...INTERVIEW, CALL THESE PEOPLE RUNNING, SEE WHAT THEY STAND FOR, AND SEE WHAT TYPE OF VISION THEY HAVE. ALSO ASK THEIR BACKGROUND, DON'T FEAR ASKING..THEY HAVE YOUR TAX MONEY AT STAKE.
Chumbalone

Downers Grove, IL

#9 Mar 4, 2013
Looking to Understand wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. I posted the question and did some work. About an hour later I had 2 responses and I responded to them.
Regardless, you can go to the state board of election website and see that what I posted was true. I'm not sure why it's such a bad thing to try to understand more about something that doesn't make sense regarding one of our mayoral candidates.
If all you "accountants" and "juvenile detectives" want to investigate campaigns...START WITH ALL THE CANDIDATES !! Picking and choosing which person to look into is silly if the few of you TRULY want honest resporting. Honesty....yeah right ! Get them all to own up to who is dumping their money into these people...or id that asking to much form the "honesty and transparencey" bunch !
Lockport local

Lockport, IL

#10 Mar 4, 2013
Chumbalone wrote:
<quoted text> If all you "accountants" and "juvenile detectives" want to investigate campaigns...START WITH ALL THE CANDIDATES !! Picking and choosing which person to look into is silly if the few of you TRULY want honest resporting. Honesty....yeah right ! Get them all to own up to who is dumping their money into these people...or id that asking to much form the "honesty and transparencey" bunch !
Why not ask Streit yourself. Just call him on the phone. He is not out of touch with the electorate. If you came to his fundraisers you would see who is giving him their money. It's the people who can't stand to see Turner destroy what is left of Lockport.
Abc

Chicago, IL

#11 Mar 4, 2013
Chum,

Even though i often disagree with you I think you usually don't get a fair shake on here, but I think you haven't done your homework on this one. Take a look at the ISBE website, Turners filings definitely do look a little odd.

On another note - the amount of money at the state level is crazy. No wonder so many become corrupt.
Barry Goldwater

Lockport, IL

#12 Mar 4, 2013
The sad truth is that people that find time for office very often do it for the wrong reasons. Ego,low self esteem or other reasons that do not translate to honesty and competence. Most of us use our extra time with family or building careers. These folks put office over these priorities and sometimes they serve with great sacrifice. Sometimes they just serve to scratch a sick itch.
Lockport local

Lockport, IL

#13 Mar 4, 2013
Barry Goldwater wrote:
The sad truth is that people that find time for office very often do it for the wrong reasons. Ego,low self esteem or other reasons that do not translate to honesty and competence. Most of us use our extra time with family or building careers. These folks put office over these priorities and sometimes they serve with great sacrifice. Sometimes they just serve to scratch a sick itch.
I love the term "sick itch". This describes Turner and the rest of his "Slimys". If you are "sick" you go to the doctor and get treatment. In the case of Turner we vote him and his "Slimys" out of office. This will go a long way in treating the illness that permeates City Hall.
Barry Goldwater

Lockport, IL

#14 Mar 4, 2013
Lockport local wrote:
<quoted text>I love the term "sick itch". This describes Turner and the rest of his "Slimys". If you are "sick" you go to the doctor and get treatment. In the case of Turner we vote him and his "Slimys" out of office. This will go a long way in treating the illness that permeates City Hall.
Here we go again. Turner does make a good example but be careful about the opposition...they have made some poor decisions.All I hope is that people stay on issues. If you have anger issues deal with them in some other manner.
Chumbalone

Downers Grove, IL

#15 Mar 4, 2013
Abc wrote:
Chum,
Even though i often disagree with you I think you usually don't get a fair shake on here, but I think you haven't done your homework on this one. Take a look at the ISBE website, Turners filings definitely do look a little odd.
On another note - the amount of money at the state level is crazy. No wonder so many become corrupt.
Will do...I just want EVERYBODY to be scrutinized for fairness and honesty. If you read some of these posters...there are blatant claims of dishonesty with absolutely no proof of anything...just utter nonsense ...which is truly sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trumps A Punk 6 min Sharky 5
Clinton stretches lead over Trump to 14 points ... 5 hr Sharky 18
Will the REAL Lway taxpayers unite! (Nov '15) 5 hr Debbie Lynn 3,981
Benghazi: Trey Gowdy Clears Hillary Clinton 6 hr Shark News 1
fairmont school board's failing leadership 6 hr Fairmont Questioner 52
haha 7 hr Still laughing 14
Lory Lynch Meets Privately w Bill Clinton 8 hr Look in the mirror 2

Joliet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance