Something's wrong
Lockport

Lockport, IL

#1 Feb 20, 2014
This morning I watched the video of last night's council meeting. Something alarmed me. They conducted themselves in a professional manner. They asked good questions. There wasn't any arguing. Plus, the entire meeting was completed in one hour.

I'm not used to watching a competent group of elected officials.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rubber Stamps

Warrenville, IL

#2 Feb 20, 2014
Don't you mean that they were rubber stamps?

That is what rubber stamp politicians do. They don't do anything then take your money and raise your taxes just like they do in Springfield.
That's why this group has not done anything.

Where is the Target we were promised?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#3 Feb 20, 2014
Rubber Stamps wrote:
Where is the Target we were promised?
Why don't you direct that question to the the first developers who went out of business. After that ask the bank that foreclosed on the property. Then ask Target why they don't change their strategic plan and just build the store right now because you were promised. Home Depot promised to build their too,but because of economic factors pulled out. Target hasn't as far as I know and is still planning to build.
Rubber Stamps

Warrenville, IL

#4 Feb 20, 2014
I guess it was good politicians in Springfield and Chicago that gave away all those sweet pension deals that nobody outside of government gets. The pensions we are all going to pay for.

If I was in control of Target I would not build in Illinois.

There was a story in the paper a while back that said the town was bringing Target here. Where is it?

Location hidden

#5 Feb 20, 2014
Rubber Stamps wrote:
I guess it was good politicians in Springfield and Chicago that gave away all those sweet pension deals that nobody outside of government gets. The pensions we are all going to pay for.
If I was in control of Target I would not build in Illinois.
There was a story in the paper a while back that said the town was bringing Target here. Where is it?
If you want to blame politicians for the pension mess by all means please do. When the first reform was done back in the early 90's the goal was the every community was to be fully funded by 2010. Guess what? That didn't happen through creative financing the communities made assumptions on returns that made the numbers work. The crash happened and those returns were never realized. You can also go after those state politicians who receive a pension after one term yes one term in office. After that go after the judges who's average pension is 140k. In full disclosure I am one of those government workers. I worry about my pension everyday. I pay nearly 10% of my salary towards my own pension, which equates to a very large sum of money I most likely will never get fully back.

As far as Target goes go to You Tube and watch the meeting
Chumbalone

Downers Grove, IL

#7 Feb 21, 2014
WalmartSUX wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww Jeeze. Not this pension whine AGAIN!?! WTF? You sound like a spoiled seven-year-old. Look, life is FULL of choices. YOU had the SAME opportunity to find a job that will provide you a pension in your golden years, SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE, so just because YOU chose a job/profession that did not, it does not give you the right to throw a temper tantrum because others did. These people worked all of their lives, investing into it all along as well, and now, AFTER they put in all that work you just feel it should be taken away because YOU don't have one? What a jealous, spoiled Crybaby!
It's not up to Lockport to "make" Target build in Lockport just because "someone" says it should or promised that they would. It's up to the Target execs to make that decision not some city council with an advertising campaign. Target is solely interested in their bottom line not Lockport's. As far as the pension stuff...well...some folks did choose a profession and a company that did provide pensions....BUT...many of those big name companys "chose" to eliminate them and substitute a 401K plan instead which proved to be beneficial to many. What makes many folks mad is the silly "constitutional guarantee" for "municipal employees and the imbedded cost of living increases (compounded) that no one else may benefit from....ever. No one doubts that knuckleheaded politicians did and continue to screw things up. However, the taxpayers of this state CANNOT be expected to bail them out with unlimited tax increases . That is also unfair. At some point...there will not be money left to pay those "guaranteed" pensions. The people who will be whining will be those who won't be receiving those "guaranteed" pensions. You all need to be realistic. NOTHING in life is guaranteed !
William Penn

Joliet, IL

#8 Feb 21, 2014
Pennsylvania switched to 401Ks and had to switch back to pensions because they were late paying Wall Street each year. There lies your answer about where fault lies. Government did not keep up with their payments while union members did. same failure as Social Security. The money was stolen for other uses by both parties.
Pension Bonanza

Wayne, IL

#9 Feb 21, 2014
Let me get this straight, you pay 10% of your pay while working 30 years and then you retire at 70% of your now inflated pay and live for 30 more years? What a sweet deal. That is the best return on investment since the mob invented juice loans.

The Illinois State retirement system is a scam on the taxpayers.
Lockport

Lockport, IL

#10 Feb 21, 2014
Pension Bonanza wrote:
Let me get this straight, you pay 10% of your pay while working 30 years and then you retire at 70% of your now inflated pay and live for 30 more years? What a sweet deal. That is the best return on investment since the mob invented juice loans.
Which of course has absolutely NOTHING to do with my original post.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Chumbalone

Downers Grove, IL

#11 Feb 21, 2014
William Penn wrote:
Pennsylvania switched to 401Ks and had to switch back to pensions because they were late paying Wall Street each year. There lies your answer about where fault lies. Government did not keep up with their payments while union members did. same failure as Social Security. The money was stolen for other uses by both parties.
Sorry my Penn friend, I'm not arguing pensions. I'm just stating what many corporations did and are still doing. Governments only run on what the taxpayers provide for them. If budgets get wiped out or bad investments are made with pensioners money and stupid politicians make bad decisions. That..my friend... is NOT the taxpayers problem. The taxpayers paid their share. If you choose (remember the word choice that was mentioned) to work for the "government" in a municipal job you are at their mercy...just like people who work for companys that screw their employees with corruption ,graft, mis-management and then those employees lose their jobs AND their pensions with absolutely no recourse at all. Those employees kept up their payments as well . Fault is fault wherever you want to place it. What makes you so different then the person working in the private sector and loses everything. No one wants to see anyone get screwed out of anything....but let's level the playing field. Private sector employees do not have that asinine amendment to protect them....do they ??? Check out Pennsylvania's state constitution. Maybe that state is not totally broke like Illinois WILL be.
William Penn

Joliet, IL

#12 Feb 21, 2014
Exactly right. I don't understand where you people try to find disagreement. You cannot expect government at any level to deliver on promises. Our Vets are the next to get their promise taken away. Anyone that depends on government as pensioneer, social sec reciep or military volunteer is a sucker.
Lockport

Lockport, IL

#13 Feb 21, 2014
William Penn wrote:
Exactly right. I don't understand where you people try to find disagreement. You cannot expect government at any level to deliver on promises. Our Vets are the next to get their promise taken away. Anyone that depends on government as pensioneer, social sec reciep or military volunteer is a sucker.
Could someone please explain to me how government pensions and veterans benefits have anything to do with my original post?

My post was about how I believe that this council is doing a good job.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Fed Law

Bolingbrook, IL

#14 Feb 21, 2014
WalmartSUX wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww Jeeze. Not this pension whine AGAIN!?! WTF? You sound like a spoiled seven-year-old. Look, life is FULL of choices. YOU had the SAME opportunity to find a job that will provide you a pension in your golden years, SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE, so just because YOU chose a job/profession that did not, it does not give you the right to throw a temper tantrum because others did. These people worked all of their lives, investing into it all along as well, and now, AFTER they put in all that work you just feel it should be taken away because YOU don't have one? What a jealous, spoiled Crybaby!
Too bad for this arrogant pensioner, Federal Law trumps state law. We all just found that out in the Detroit mess. Michigan has the same line in their constitution about pension guarantees and the Federal Judge ignored it and ruled that Federal Bankruptcy law supersedes State Law. Anybody, depending on an Illinois State pension, should be worried.

Location hidden

#15 Feb 21, 2014
Fed Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad for this arrogant pensioner, Federal Law trumps state law. We all just found that out in the Detroit mess. Michigan has the same line in their constitution about pension guarantees and the Federal Judge ignored it and ruled that Federal Bankruptcy law supersedes State Law. Anybody, depending on an Illinois State pension, should be worried.
This and this why that Federal Judge needs to be removed from the bench

The Judicial power of the United States shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the United States by Citizens of another State, or by Citizens or Subjects of any Foreign State.

Location hidden

#16 Feb 21, 2014
Pension Bonanza wrote:
I am not in IMRF first. Secondly the average lifespan of someone in my line of work is around 10 years post retirement. I already gave the numbers in another thread. If I make it to the average that still leaves over 300k of my own contributions. Yes my wife will still collect if I die first, but if shes dies first and my children are over the age of 18 that money stays in the pension. I can not pass that money, money that I earned on to them. Thirdly, I do not pay social security on this job, I do however pay it for my other job. I have enough quarters to collect but at 33 cents on the dollar. The fed's keep the 67 cents of every dollar I or any other public sector employee earns. Talk about a mob invented juice loan. It is money I earned I paid into why do I not get that money back? Fourth there are still people I work with that are not paying medicare taxes because of the pension. You know what that means? That means they are not eligible for medicare. Have you seen the cost of healthcare? As of today the rate for a retiree and spouse is 1333.00 per month thats 25% of a retirees monthly income. Again talk about a juice loan racket
Chumbalone

Downers Grove, IL

#17 Feb 22, 2014
I'll agree with "Lockport" and "Rubber Stamp". Let's get off the pension stuff. As I said before...and again....Target will come when Target feels it is the correct business decision to do so....if ever. This council can promise anything.....delivering on promises is another story. Everyone in this town should pay very close attention to all council proceedings on a go forward basis. New councils and mayors do not insure progress...but they certainly deserve the chance.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Puhleeze

Lockport, IL

#22 Mar 12, 2014
Chumbalone wrote:
<quoted text> However, the taxpayers of this state CANNOT be expected to bail them out with unlimited tax increases . That is also unfair. At some point...there will not be money left to pay those "guaranteed" pensions. The people who will be whining will be those who won't be receiving those "guaranteed" pensions. You all need to be realistic. NOTHING in life is guaranteed !
But it was "fair" to bail out the banksters? The banksters that crushed our economy by playing games and back-door deals? The banksters who, took all of OUR taxpayer money, laughing all the way to the "bank", and then turned around and shared it amongst themselves as bonus' for the "job well done"? The same banksters who now, just a few years after destroying our economy and being bailed out by US, the taxpayers are surpassing their pre 2008 bonus' and soaring compensations? PFFFT!
Chumbalone

Downers Grove, IL

#23 Mar 13, 2014
Puhleeze wrote:
<quoted text>
But it was "fair" to bail out the banksters? The banksters that crushed our economy by playing games and back-door deals? The banksters who, took all of OUR taxpayer money, laughing all the way to the "bank", and then turned around and shared it amongst themselves as bonus' for the "job well done"? The same banksters who now, just a few years after destroying our economy and being bailed out by US, the taxpayers are surpassing their pre 2008 bonus' and soaring compensations? PFFFT!
You are correct. It was NOT "fair" to bail out the big banks who effectively screwed their customers..however..that was basically a "national" decision not a state decision. However, if the State of Illinois and the court system does NOT fully support pension reform (not pension elimination) we , the taxpayers, will pay dearly no matter who is to blame. That includes people receiving pensions today. If nothing is done to reform the continual mounting debt incurred by pension "guarantees", the State of Illinois will eventually go bankrupt and not be able to provide any services or pension payments to anyone. Broke is broke no matter how you cut it. There is no way to tax our way out of this mess.
Kay Oss

Lockport, IL

#24 Mar 15, 2014
Lockport wrote:
<quoted text>
Could someone please explain to me how government pensions and veterans benefits have anything to do with my original post?
My post was about how I believe that this council is doing a good job.
Um, it doesn't. Your original post was lame, so we had to improvise. We KNOW what your post was about, we just don't care. Just be happy you opened up a conversation. Communication is key. Don't be so damn selfish and self-centered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Lenox Fire Department tax hike flops. 1 hr Moving 92
Last Post Wins (Sep '12) 9 hr quilterqueen 1,039
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' 14 hr So_da_lish_us 251
Trump the Turd in the Punchbowl 14 hr Lockport local 22
Lockport returns to glory days! 14 hr Lockport local 22
News Lockport looks to make downtown greener (Jan '07) 19 hr Lago Vista 7
Liberal Coup Dreams Die 23 hr HAHAHA 7

Joliet Jobs

Personal Finance

Joliet Mortgages