Walmart & other parking lots in Illinois

Walmart & other parking lots in Illinois

Posted in the Joliet Forum

New to this

Frankfort, IL

#1 Jan 27, 2014
A family member recently slipped on black ice in the NL Walmart parking lot and severely broke his ankle requiring surgery to repair. We called Walmart to advise them that they should salt their lot better and we were told they were not allowed to salt and/or sand their parking lot due to their close proximity to the wetland area which is nearby. This got me to wondering if the NL Village Planning Committee and/or the Board itself even discussed the winter safety of the thousands of people who frequent this area which includes Walmart, Aldi, White Castle, IHop, just to name a few. Everyone told me to consult a lawyer to make Walmart responsible for what will be a very large medical tab but two lawyers told me the same thing. In the state of Illinois, merchants are NOT required to salt or sand their parking lots so to imply that Walmart was negligent would be a waste of time and money. They can salt if they want to, but they are not required to do so. Walmart stated that they were not allowed to do either. So people ... be more than careful when walking in parking lots in this fine state of ours. If you fall and hurt yourself, it's no one's fault by your own.
really

Cicero, IL

#2 Jan 27, 2014
New to this wrote:
A family member recently slipped on black ice in the NL Walmart parking lot and severely broke his ankle requiring surgery to repair. We called Walmart to advise them that they should salt their lot better and we were told they were not allowed to salt and/or sand their parking lot due to their close proximity to the wetland area which is nearby. This got me to wondering if the NL Village Planning Committee and/or the Board itself even discussed the winter safety of the thousands of people who frequent this area which includes Walmart, Aldi, White Castle, IHop, just to name a few. Everyone told me to consult a lawyer to make Walmart responsible for what will be a very large medical tab but two lawyers told me the same thing. In the state of Illinois, merchants are NOT required to salt or sand their parking lots so to imply that Walmart was negligent would be a waste of time and money. They can salt if they want to, but they are not required to do so. Walmart stated that they were not allowed to do either. So people ... be more than careful when walking in parking lots in this fine state of ours. If you fall and hurt yourself, it's no one's fault by your own.
the company that has that contract is Wilson Ldsc out of joliet. Get em!!
Pete

Waukegan, IL

#3 Jan 27, 2014
New to this wrote:
As you wrote ' it's no one's fault but your own'.
truth teller

La Grange, IL

#4 Jan 27, 2014
If they fell at home, who's fault would it be?

If they fell walking down a sidewalk, who's fault would it be?

Answer: THEIRS

people need to start taking more responsibility for their own screw ups.
The Original Dollar Bill

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 27, 2014
Frivolous lawsuits. Increases cost of goods sold.
No one is liable.
Mother Nature is responsible. As you know" you shouldn't fool with Mother Nature".

Since: Apr 13

Schaumburg, IL

#6 Jan 27, 2014
Personally I don't think anything should have been built that close to wetlands. To prevent that though would have ended up costing the tax payers in more ways then one. So I think it was a good compromise to not let salt and other chemicals destroy what little natural environment is left in the area. Even if you aren't big in to preservation I'm sure you know there is a need for storm water to drain. Pretty simple though....walk carefully when it's 0 degrees outside whether the ground is salted or not.
Jesse Jackson

Mokena, IL

#7 Jan 27, 2014
New to this wrote:
My people always figure out how to collect $$$ for injuries. You call us stupid?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lincoln-Way still stealing from kids 4 hr They all need to go 5
Hooker (Oct '14) 5 hr Eric Cartman Auth... 29
News Stateville gets new lease on life as Pontiac pr... (May '08) 7 hr Satellite 55
Hypocrites 10 hr Frumpster 7
What is the plans of BNSF railroad and the comp... (Sep '06) 14 hr None of your busi... 78
Clintons Pay to Play 15 hr Yellowstripe Coward 4
Atty Edward Jaquays (Dec '10) Aug 26 Mike 12

Joliet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Joliet Mortgages