Former Chicago Ridge police chief's pay soared under disability deal

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Sun-Times story from Sep 18, 2012, titled Former Chicago Ridge police chief's pay soared under disability deal. In it, Chicago Sun-Times reports that:

Baldermann walked away with disability pay of $129,192 a year - nearly $20,000 more than he made as police chief for the southwest suburb Baldermann, 46, is due to collect more than $2 million in disability pay by the time he turns 60 for the back injury he reported suffering while loading a body into a police van four years ago, After he turns 60, ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Sun-Times.

Fifty Shades of Red

Frankfort, IL

#21 Sep 18, 2012
This is the person we trust to make decisions? How can he hold his head up and look at the people. Look at all the money that goes into that household and all from us the taxpayers!
Fault

Chicago, IL

#22 Sep 18, 2012
Fifty Shades of Red wrote:
This is the person we trust to make decisions? How can he hold his head up and look at the people. Look at all the money that goes into that household and all from us the taxpayers!
Think about how those of us from Chicago Ridge feel. We have to pay for this out of our own pockets. We are paying Baldermann because the Mayor and his Trustees voted to take care of thier buddy. Now that the "heat is On" we are fighting Baldermann in court and paying the legal expenses.

We got a Trustee Jack Lind, who got a great early pension deal and payout from the Tax Payers. Plus he gets a check from the Village for being a Trustee and a Worth Township Trustee Paycheck. This Guy is getting Three Government Checks.

Ridge Politics is WORSE than Chicago Politics.
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

#23 Sep 18, 2012
Hold On wrote:
First of all this has nothing to due with any union. He was not in a union, and the pension board is not a union board, police pensions do not go through their union.
Now lets look at the lack of integrity. Who believes that their retirement pay should be higher than their working pay by $20,000 a year. Secondly every officer with any amount of time on knows that pension spiking is illegal. And he know exactly what he was doing with this package. Pension spiking plain and simple. He goes on to say, "if they shouldnt have done it, they shouldnt have done it but they did". So a man who is supposed to be a role model as a police officer and an elected official feels it right to gain from someone elses "mistake". Great tell that to your next boy scout troop that comes through Mayor.
Also who was on that pension board that voted to allow this to happen. Wasnt one of them his deputy police chief (who also got the same sweet deal). And prior to voting on this issue was it publicized made public to the other members of the pension fund for approval.
Also lets look at this quote. he says he offered to "change the way I operate" and stay on as the chief, but was turned down by the pension board. Again the pension board would make no decision as to whether or not he could stay on as chief, that is a decision made by the village government. Does the New Lenox pension board make decisions on the chiefs style of operating? And he could have not applied or pulled back his disability request if he wanted. He was the Chief of Police. If his back was hurting he could be an adminstrator as most Chiefs are. They had patrol officers, Sgts and detectives to do the street level police work.
Bottom line pension spiking is illegal. Also the lack of integrity in doing what is right is glaring through. So much so that he filed a lawsuit to keep getting ill gotten money. At the cost of the taxpayers and fellow police officers whose pension fund he is raiding. Yes sir a real role model for the kids as mayor and a school superintendent. Disgusting.
Thanks Hold On. You speak for many of us who play fairly, follow the rules and then suffer the consequences of a battered reputation because of people like Balderman who not only abuse the taxpayers but jeopardize the pensions of good, honest, hard working people.

Sadly, some people do not see the difference between a cheating public employee and the rest of us.
CR citizen

United States

#24 Sep 18, 2012
Louse wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this guy should be ashamed of himself. He is Republican and I am sure fiscally conservative except when it comes to his pension.
If New Lenox does not vote this guy out they deserve what they get.
I am beyond flabbergasted by this whole saga.
he was a democrat when he was in chicago ridge politics, now he is republican when in new lenox politics. he is whatever he needs to be to get into politics for the taxpayers money!
ridge guy

Oak Lawn, IL

#25 Sep 18, 2012
mayor and all trustees are responsible for this mess
ridge guy

Oak Lawn, IL

#26 Sep 18, 2012
keep this topic at the top
Change

Chicago, IL

#28 Sep 18, 2012
We need to get rid of these corrupt Chicago Ridge Politicians. I am sick and Tired of paying for their buddies to get rich. Im tired thier nasty politics. I'm tired of them harrassing our police and threatening them at the Ridge Fest. I'm glad the State's Attorney is looking into this.
Agree

Hanover Park, IL

#29 Sep 18, 2012
His security firm PROFITS $300k a year from Ridgefest, New Lenox Concerts, and Proud American Days.

That's a lot of money to deposit into the bank his dad runs with the owner of Hartz homes. See a pattern

Baldy... Traci from Primetime said your dick is small and tastes weird. Wondering how she would kow that..
absolutely

New Lenox, IL

#30 Sep 18, 2012
Agree wrote:
His security firm PROFITS $300k a year from Ridgefest, New Lenox Concerts, and Proud American Days.
That's a lot of money to deposit into the bank his dad runs with the owner of Hartz homes. See a pattern
Baldy... Traci from Primetime said your dick is small and tastes weird. Wondering how she would kow that..
Why would his security department be providing security for Proud American Days and the Triple Play Concerts that he slaps his name all over rather than the police department? Who's paying his fee? Taxpayers! If what you say is true, the village board members need to disclose this expenditure, and we have bigger problems than we know.
Hate him

Downers Grove, IL

#31 Sep 18, 2012
Any more examples of Baldy's illegal or immoral behavior while he was police chief? New Lenox residents need to know.
William Hastings

Frankfort, IL

#32 Sep 18, 2012
Hate him wrote:
Any more examples of Baldy's illegal or immoral behavior while he was police chief? New Lenox residents need to know.
You people sound deranged. One moron makes an unsubstantiated allegation you all bite. As to pension spiking, you don't know what your talking about. Many years ago the state law was changed to base any type of police pension on the officer's last day worked. Why do you think this was done. Don't like it, fine. But that is what the law is. Remember, chief today, demoted tomorrow. That is why the chief's job is not the same as the superintendents job. Can't be demoted to custodian.
Gravy Train Bill

Wheaton, IL

#33 Sep 18, 2012
William Hastings wrote:
<quoted text>
You people sound deranged. One moron makes an unsubstantiated allegation you all bite. As to pension spiking, you don't know what your talking about. Many years ago the state law was changed to base any type of police pension on the officer's last day worked. Why do you think this was done. Don't like it, fine. But that is what the law is. Remember, chief today, demoted tomorrow. That is why the chief's job is not the same as the superintendents job. Can't be demoted to custodian.
You have completely missed the point and furthermore have little understanding of that 1994 anti pension spiking law. Keep posting though. You must be a good pal of Baldy.
CR citizen

United States

#34 Sep 18, 2012
Fault wrote:
<quoted text>Think about how those of us from Chicago Ridge feel. We have to pay for this out of our own pockets. We are paying Baldermann because the Mayor and his Trustees voted to take care of thier buddy. Now that the "heat is On" we are fighting Baldermann in court and paying the legal expenses.
We got a Trustee Jack Lind, who got a great early pension deal and payout from the Tax Payers. Plus he gets a check from the Village for being a Trustee and a Worth Township Trustee Paycheck. This Guy is getting Three Government Checks.
Ridge Politics is WORSE than Chicago Politics.
Chicago Ridge mayor was an old chicago machine politician before taking over as mayor in Chicago Ridge over THIRTY YEARS AGO. THESE ARE CAREER POLITICIANS.
No way

Mountain View, CA

#35 Sep 18, 2012
Sounds like a lot of jealous and angry people here. I would have done the same if I could. Kudos to him for taking advantage of a flawed system. People can only blame themselves for this...he was voted in. Double-dipping, triple-dipping, whatever-it isn't necessarily fair or morally right, but it's legal to do if done by the guidelines and regulations set up. Instead of going after Baldy, we should be going after the ones who made this even possible to do in the first place.
dumocrats

New Lenox, IL

#36 Sep 18, 2012
No way wrote:
Sounds like a lot of jealous and angry people here. I would have done the same if I could. Kudos to him for taking advantage of a flawed system. People can only blame themselves for this...he was voted in. Double-dipping, triple-dipping, whatever-it isn't necessarily fair or morally right, but it's legal to do if done by the guidelines and regulations set up. Instead of going after Baldy, we should be going after the ones who made this even possible to do in the first place.
You would have done the same? Do you have a conscience?
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

#37 Sep 18, 2012
William Hastings wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who is personally familiar with the pension process of a retiring chief, I think I qualify as "knowing what I am talking about". Baldermann and his cronies who enabled this to happen are crooks.

There is no legitimate reason to spike a person's pay on his last day of work. Figuring in vacation pay to boost your disability check reeks of dishonesty or at the very least, one great, big, huge mistake. You just don't walk out of the pension process with more than you were making while doing the job unless you cheat.

It is these kinds of people who give public employees a bad reputation and it would give me just as much pleasure as any other taxpayer to see them stopped in their tracks.
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

#38 Sep 18, 2012
No way wrote:
You are probably right in that many people would grab the brass ring if offered to them. I doubt though that this was a case of Baldermann fighting his conscience. More likely it was a conspiracy of sorts on both sides of the aisle. He certainly doesn't deserve kudos.

And I do not necessarily agree that it is "double dipping" if an administrator moves from one executive position to another. CEO's do it all the time because they are valued for their experience which is what makes it legal. But retiring on a disability pension changes the circumstances substantially.

I agree that they need to go after the ones who made this possible because he didn't do this alone, but I also think that CR has the right to go after Baldermann and get their money back or at the very least correct the mistake from this point on. Unfortunately, that is gonna cost them $.
Hold On

Hanover Park, IL

#39 Sep 19, 2012
William Hastings wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, I dont know what I am talking about as to pension spiking. If that were the case then Balderman would not have to sue in court to keep getting his ill gotten money. Im quite sure that the Illinois pension board has ruled on this matter and stated that this was pension spiking, otherwise he would not need to file a lawsuit in the courts would he. They would have ruled it was legal and the matter would have been over.
I also see that you failed to even speak of integrity, something an elected official and a school superintendent should have but he is quite obviously lacking. Its all about him and grabbing as much as he can as fast as he can. As for his back injury preventing him from being the adminstrator of a police department, again lack of integrity. He could have done the job of police chief from an office the same as he will do in the schools. He is so full of himself that it is sickening.
Retards

United States

#41 Sep 19, 2012
Appalled wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who is personally familiar with the pension process of a retiring chief, I think I qualify as "knowing what I am talking about". Baldermann and his cronies who enabled this to happen are crooks.
There is no legitimate reason to spike a person's pay on his last day of work. Figuring in vacation pay to boost your disability check reeks of dishonesty or at the very least, one great, big, huge mistake. You just don't walk out of the pension process with more than you were making while doing the job unless you cheat.
It is these kinds of people who give public employees a bad reputation and it would give me just as much pleasure as any other taxpayer to see them stopped in their tracks.
my fatber-in-law got a similar deal as balderman, when he retired as a engineer for the CPS. His pension was 90k a year and that was about 17 yrs ago, with a 60k upfront check for vacation and sick time unused. The system is currupt everywhere. I hope if Romney/Ryan win they clean up this crap like Wisconsin did.
OUT

Chicago, IL

#43 Sep 19, 2012
Chicago Ridge Mayor Gene Seigel and his Trustees Brad Grove, Bruce Quintos and James Saunoris voted to give this sweat heart deal to Balderman. They Need To Be Defeated When They Run For Re Election In April 2013.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 3 min what now 9,144
Lockport Moving Forward 2 hr Onto Him 48
parking in foxford 2 hr courtesy over the... 23
Romeoville baseballs matt bottcher commits D1 6 hr Seeing is believing 5
Bruce Jenner seen on Rt. 30 7 hr Neighbor 11
Clinton Cash 7 hr Survey Says 22
bernie sanders 2016!!! 7 hr FINALLY 17
More from around the web

Joliet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE