Hateful Staff at Ivy League Montessori School in New Lenox

Posted in the Joliet Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Oct 09

Frankfort, IL

#1 Oct 11, 2009
Recently, my 5 year old son attended New Lenox's Ivy League Montessori School as a before/after school program.

Last Friday, when my husband went to pick up my son, he was told that my son is not welcome back to their program. One of the two women who run the program, Ms. Linda, told my husband, "I don't know what type of Autism or Aspergers your son has but we are not able to handle HIS kind.". My husband was in complete shock.

When my husband called me at work, I was in disbelief. I had not been given any warning, no written documentation of any kind, no parent teacher conference, etc.

I called the head office in Mokena and asked to speak with the owner, Jackie, because I could not believe that they would want their school ran this way. I was advised that the owner was gone for the weekend and that they would have her call me as soon as possible. I explained the situation to the person in the office and they too were in shock that we were treated this way.

Itís been a little over a week now and I still have not heard from the owner.

I am insulted that a woman, who does not have a M.D. after her last name feels that she can freely diagnose my child with autism, aspergers, or any disorder for that matter. I am also shocked that the school is run in a manner where no warning, no written documentation, no parent teacher conference, etc is given to the parents. While I dropped off my son every morning, I was not advised there was any sort of problem. Nor was I given the opportunity to address any issues, etc. with my son to correct any behavior or problem they might have had.

I did however advise them when I signed up for the program, that my son has been diagnosed with sensory auditory processing problems and does see a Speech Pathologist and Occupational therapist.

I can't help but believe that they took the information I shared with them and decided they didn't want to have to "deal" with my son. Instead of being up front and advising us that they could only handle calm/quiet children, they decided to take our money for 6 weeks and then kick out my son without any warning.

I would not recommend this school to anyone. Not because my son was asked to leave, but because of how unprofessional the staff is who works there.

Labeling children when you have no education or degree to do so can be extremely damaging to a child.

Knowing your child goes to a school where the teachers are labeling children in front of other children is disgraceful.

I use to wonder why kids grew up to say hateful things or call each other hurtful names.

I NEVER thought hearing teachers label children incorrectly in front of other children would EVER be the reason.

Is this where you want your children going?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#2 Oct 11, 2009
Wow, interesting post. First, I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I agree that they handled this poorly. They certainly should have been in contact with you if they were having any type of concerns about your son. Secondly, to say what they did about him, especially in front of him, is appalling. How absolutely mean-spirited and ignorant. For some reason teachers now feel that they are qualified to diagnose children with ADD/ADHD. I work for a pediatrician and I see parents on a daily basis that come in saying "The teacher told me my child needs medication for ADD". It is gettin out of control.

The staff at Ivy League Montesorri should be ashamed of themselves. I will certainly keep your post in mind if friends or relatives are in need of this type of school. Good luck to you and your family.:)
To Itskim

Palos Hills, IL

#3 Oct 11, 2009
I'm not saying this didn't happen, but keep in mind you are getting one side of a story.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#4 Oct 12, 2009
To Itskim wrote:
I'm not saying this didn't happen, but keep in mind you are getting one side of a story.
You have a very good point. As this post is well-written and well thought out in my opinion these points merit passing on to friends/families that I have if this particular Montessori School is ever discussed. Either way, I will pass on the story, not bash the school, if this comes up and my friends/family and they can sort it out and make a more informed decision.
Splash

Wheaton, IL

#5 Oct 12, 2009
How horrible for your family! I would say with the owner not calling you back that speaks volumes. Have you had your son screened at the public schools? Sounds like he is eligable for a pre-K program and it is FREE! They would be more qualified to help him. They also have speech and ot.
Concerned Parent 5 wrote:
Recently, my 5 year old son attended New Lenox's Ivy League Montessori School as a before/after school program.
Last Friday, when my husband went to pick up my son, he was told that my son is not welcome back to their program. One of the two women who run the program, Ms. Linda, told my husband, "I don't know what type of Autism or Aspergers your son has but we are not able to handle HIS kind.". My husband was in complete shock.
When my husband called me at work, I was in disbelief. I had not been given any warning, no written documentation of any kind, no parent teacher conference, etc.
I called the head office in Mokena and asked to speak with the owner, Jackie, because I could not believe that they would want their school ran this way. I was advised that the owner was gone for the weekend and that they would have her call me as soon as possible. I explained the situation to the person in the office and they too were in shock that we were treated this way.
Itís been a little over a week now and I still have not heard from the owner.
I am insulted that a woman, who does not have a M.D. after her last name feels that she can freely diagnose my child with autism, aspergers, or any disorder for that matter. I am also shocked that the school is run in a manner where no warning, no written documentation, no parent teacher conference, etc is given to the parents. While I dropped off my son every morning, I was not advised there was any sort of problem. Nor was I given the opportunity to address any issues, etc. with my son to correct any behavior or problem they might have had.
I did however advise them when I signed up for the program, that my son has been diagnosed with sensory auditory processing problems and does see a Speech Pathologist and Occupational therapist.
I can't help but believe that they took the information I shared with them and decided they didn't want to have to "deal" with my son. Instead of being up front and advising us that they could only handle calm/quiet children, they decided to take our money for 6 weeks and then kick out my son without any warning.
I would not recommend this school to anyone. Not because my son was asked to leave, but because of how unprofessional the staff is who works there.
Labeling children when you have no education or degree to do so can be extremely damaging to a child.
Knowing your child goes to a school where the teachers are labeling children in front of other children is disgraceful.
I use to wonder why kids grew up to say hateful things or call each other hurtful names.
I NEVER thought hearing teachers label children incorrectly in front of other children would EVER be the reason.
Is this where you want your children going?
pink lady

United States

#6 Oct 12, 2009
My son went to before/after program there while in kindergarten for maybe a month. The teachers at the Montessori program were fine, but the woman who opened/closed was EXTREMELY unfriendly. I don't care if she says hello to me, but at least acknowledge my child. And each time he was picked up, the children were watching TV. Mind you, this was after the Montessori program ended. He also got really cranky and irritable the days he attended (just two days), so I pulled him out and put him in Kindercare.

So my experience was also not all that great there as well.
Lisa

Frankfort, IL

#7 Oct 12, 2009
This is an important post and should be discussed further, I have also had a less then professional expierence with these ignorant, unprofesional people. Would never recommened them.
Elitists

Homewood, IL

#8 Oct 13, 2009
Sounds like elitism to me. I have to laugh at folks in that area who behave as if they are high society. Please, it is will county IL! Most of the people living out there grew up in Dolton, Riverdale, Roseland or Cal City. It's Mokena, not Winnetka!
happy montessori mother

Chicago, IL

#9 Oct 13, 2009
I am not happy to hear from some parents that they didn't have a great experience there. My son had a wonderful learning experience. He also gained many academic and social skills through this program. I believe that not every program is best for you and your children and if it doesn't suit your families needs it's best to move on and find the best fit for your family. Some times as parents we tend to want to do nothing but protect our children and some times feel attacked. But it's best to keep in mind of others and not to be quick to defend. We teach our children to think about the best resolution to any situation. I believe we should be practicing what we preach. As for the rest of the before/after school staff at the New Lenox location I believe that the director is very involved with the children. They put together games as well as crafts, for the children who want to do them. I'm sorry about your son and that you had a poor experience but I cannot complain but only encourage others to check it out before your own opinions are formed.
teachers_view

Chicago, IL

#10 Oct 13, 2009
I'm also sorry to hear about your experience. But from a teacher's point of view let me ask this, was it explained what sensory auditory processing problems were to the teacher? Because to me that sounds vague nor have I ever heard of that. Now I am a new teacher and have graduated just over a couple years ago and was never taught about this. As you said before, the teacher doesn't have a M.D. after her name, how can she know what that is right off the bat? Now I know there are stipulations to every situation but sometimes if things are kind of left in the open, they're hard to tackle.
And correct if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if you're blamming the teacher's for children saying hateful things to each other? I don't think that's the case. I know that in my classroom when I have to correct a student's behavior the rest of the class sees this. Even though the children are young, they're not stupid. They can understand from just observing their surroundings who the 'brown noses' and the 'bad' kids are.
And depending on the classroom size, two teachers is great! Students get more one on one instruction and individualized attention, to me that soudns great for the children. Seems like this was more of a benifit than anything. To say the staff is hateful seems a little extreme! I know that a lot of teachers spend more time trying to help their students and wanting to see them succeed than degrading them.
And I think that Montossori is a specific kind of school and way of teaching. I ask those who had a bad experience if they knew of this and what the special guidelines the school sets.
I looked up this program on the net and I don't believe the staff is the same as the teachers. Was the before and after school person, a teacher? That's not what it seems to be on their website. It appears that the staff is recreational and nothing to do with the classroom. Just a side note.
As a parent as well, I know that there are two sides to every story and feel that this is only one part of it. Believe what you will, but I think there's more here than just 'hateful teachers and staff.'
Matt

Frankfort, IL

#11 Oct 13, 2009
I agree totally with ELITISM! We need to help,encourage and aclimate to the chid/children in any and all situations, Even the pretensious name of this school is all wrong.
Debbie

Springfield, IL

#12 Oct 14, 2009
SERIOUSLY! SERIOUSLY! SERIOUSLY!
Proof

New Lenox, IL

#13 Oct 14, 2009
teachers_view wrote:
I'm also sorry to hear about your experience. But from a teacher's point of view let me ask this, was it explained what sensory auditory processing problems were to the teacher? Because to me that sounds vague nor have I ever heard of that. Now I am a new teacher and have graduated just over a couple years ago and was never taught about this. As you said before, the teacher doesn't have a M.D. after her name, how can she know what that is right off the bat? Now I know there are stipulations to every situation but sometimes if things are kind of left in the open, they're hard to tackle.
And correct if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if you're blamming the teacher's for children saying hateful things to each other? I don't think that's the case. I know that in my classroom when I have to correct a student's behavior the rest of the class sees this. Even though the children are young, they're not stupid. They can understand from just observing their surroundings who the 'brown noses' and the 'bad' kids are.
And depending on the classroom size, two teachers is great! Students get more one on one instruction and individualized attention, to me that soudns great for the children. Seems like this was more of a benifit than anything. To say the staff is hateful seems a little extreme! I know that a lot of teachers spend more time trying to help their students and wanting to see them succeed than degrading them.
And I think that Montossori is a specific kind of school and way of teaching. I ask those who had a bad experience if they knew of this and what the special guidelines the school sets.
I looked up this program on the net and I don't believe the staff is the same as the teachers. Was the before and after school person, a teacher? That's not what it seems to be on their website. It appears that the staff is recreational and nothing to do with the classroom. Just a side note.
As a parent as well, I know that there are two sides to every story and feel that this is only one part of it. Believe what you will, but I think there's more here than just 'hateful teachers and staff.'
Do you realize how many grammatical errors you have in your post? Pretty scary since you say you are a teacher. You have run on sentences, you used teacher's when it should have been teachers, you started a sentence with the word and, & you have spelling errors. These are some pretty basic things you learn before grade 4. I can never take someone's post seriously when it looks like a 1st grader wrote it.
Bleach

Aurora, IL

#14 Oct 14, 2009
She is not acting uppity at all. She is concerned for her child that's all.
Elitists wrote:
Sounds like elitism to me. I have to laugh at folks in that area who behave as if they are high society. Please, it is will county IL! Most of the people living out there grew up in Dolton, Riverdale, Roseland or Cal City. It's Mokena, not Winnetka!
Carl

Springfield, IL

#15 Oct 19, 2009
This is a very under prepared school and the Lady with the glasses seems to like holding it over parents heads that she is " Taking care" of our children! This woman acts as if she invented child care! I find this woman insulting and very conflicted the poor thing!!
UMDUUHH

Dekalb, IL

#16 Oct 19, 2009
happy montessori mother and teachers_view are the same person. I'm sure she's somehow connected to the Mantessori school.
Not Necessarily

Naperville, IL

#17 Oct 19, 2009
UMDUUHH wrote:
happy montessori mother and teachers_view are the same person. I'm sure she's somehow connected to the Mantessori school.
Just because the same ISP shows up doesn't mean that it's the same person.

If a library, coffee house, institution, or bookstore is used, everyone there has the same ISP.

I'm not saying two people might not be in cohoots but you're jumping to a conclusion that isn't tenable or verifiable.
Concerned Parent

Frankfort, IL

#18 Oct 19, 2009
I feel like I need to defend myself and my post.

First, I didn't sign up my son to go to the school for its name. I was advised by a neighbor that she "heard" the Ivy League school of New Lenox was a good before/after school program. My son already attends Cherry Hill Kindergarten. This was for a before/after school program 3 days a week.

Second, my issue is with the teacher Ms. Linda. The way she talked about my child in front of my child and other children is what is MOST offensive to me. I am also disqusted with the fact that we were never advised she was having a "problem" with my son. No verbal discussions, nothing in written form, etc. We just walk in one day and told that my son is not welcome because of his "Autism, Aspergers, etc." which he does not have. My son is a happy, healthy 5 year old BOY who is adventurous, inquisitive, etc. He does have sensory auditory processing dysfunction and he is very active. So to a person who has no education in this area, it could appear that my son has ADHD, however, he has been tested and does NOT have this. Ms. Linda however was throwing around autism, aspergers, etc. like she was saying he has brown hair. She has NO right to try and "label" my son, nor does she have the right to have this conversation in front of my son and other children. The reason I wrote the post was to say how rude and extremely UN-PROFESSIONAL she is.

While I can probably assume there are several people who do have a good experience at this school, I feel others need to be aware of the people who run it.

To this day, I still never receieved a phone call from the owner. And, as of last week I had to call the school and ask for my money back for the week I paid in advance. They weren't even going to send it to me. When I called they said, oh, yes, we will get that out to you. When I did get the check this week, they actually shorted me money. When I called today, I was told they would send me the adjustment.

While I agree not every school or program is suited for all kids, the fact that Ms. Linda is rude, discriminating and unprofessional is something that I feel other parents should be aware of when looking into this school.

As for the 2 teacher ratio, there are quite a lot of children who go there ranging in ALL ages. When one of them should obviously retire, the ratio isn't as appealing as one might have thought.

Again, the information I am posting is to inform others of my experience. I have to believe that I am not the first to have this experience and nor will I be the last.
ISP

Lombard, IL

#19 Oct 19, 2009
Not Necessarily wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because the same ISP shows up doesn't mean that it's the same person.
If a library, coffee house, institution, or bookstore is used, everyone there has the same ISP.
I'm not saying two people might not be in cohoots but you're jumping to a conclusion that isn't tenable or verifiable.
fat chance...
Concerned Parent

Frankfort, IL

#20 Oct 19, 2009
I feel I need to address one more thing that teachers_view said. You indicated that the kids know who the "brown noses" are and who are the "bad" kids. Did you actually say "bad" kids? Are you actually a liscensed teacher?

Please let me know what area or what school you teach in so I can avoid my child EVER having you as a teacher. Maybe you should have said the children with un-desirable behavior for YOUR classroom, but saying right off the bat the "bad" kids proves my point about some teachers acting/saying stuff in front of other kids that cause kids to be mean and say the SAME things. Nothing like ruining a kids self esteem.

I hope to God you don't tell these kids how BAD they are to their faces. Perhaps you should get a liscense in psychology too because someone will have to treat these kids when they are older. And now we can at least pin point how it all began. Nice Work Teachers_view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 41 min Sick Illinois 49,905
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 56 min SOUTHY 6,882
Neighbor selling 1 hr TFF1998 4
Bowling coach charged with sexually abusing girl (Sep '10) 1 hr shabootie 163
bees inside Lockport Dunkin Donuts 2 hr LakewoodGuy 7
9:30 start at kelvin grove 2 hr lockporter 15
Target Development Progress 3 hr Lockport 1 4
•••
•••
Joliet Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Joliet Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Joliet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Joliet News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Joliet
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••