Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2014

Judged:

My partner and I are looking for places to get married. We're from KY so we can't get married here and so we're looking in Illinois since it is the closest to us. We happened across the Joliet website and thought it looked pretty cool. What we want to know is whether or not Joliet is the type of town that would run us out if they saw us holding hands or if they just don't give a crap and let us do our thing.

Any advice would be awesome and if you have any better suggestions, let us know!
Love it

Willowbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Judged:

homo's are welcome
idrawstuff

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Hooray! I think... O.o
Miss E

Elburn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Joliet may be 'gay-friendly', but do you know anything else about Joliet? It is gang-ridden, dirty, and dangerous in many areas. I do not live there,(though I have been there and I was not comfortable in some of the areas I drove through), so I don't want to say too much. Just do some research before you book anything. Your wedding day should be special and I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. I will say that a friend of mine (Pietro) who owns 'Villa Verone' in Geneva, IL just had a gay reception at his restaurant and from what I saw on Facebook it went great. Maybe look into? He could maybe find out for you who married that couple. Best of luck to you and congratulations.
Love it

Willowbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Judged:

Miss E wrote:
Joliet may be 'gay-friendly', but do you know anything else about Joliet? It is gang-ridden, dirty, and dangerous in many areas. I do not live there,(though I have been there and I was not comfortable in some of the areas I drove through), so I don't want to say too much. Just do some research before you book anything. Your wedding day should be special and I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. I will say that a friend of mine (Pietro) who owns 'Villa Verone' in Geneva, IL just had a gay reception at his restaurant and from what I saw on Facebook it went great. Maybe look into? He could maybe find out for you who married that couple. Best of luck to you and congratulations.
free sample of K-Y for those that attend, or carpet clipper for for the munchers
Go Elsewere

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

idrawstuff wrote:
My partner and I are looking for places to get married. We're from KY so we can't get married here and so we're looking in Illinois since it is the closest to us. We happened across the Joliet website and thought it looked pretty cool. What we want to know is whether or not Joliet is the type of town that would run us out if they saw us holding hands or if they just don't give a crap and let us do our thing.
Any advice would be awesome and if you have any better suggestions, let us know!
Joliet is an OK place, but if you want a town that actually is good and aesthetically pleasing, then you might want to look at some of the other surrounding areas that are a little more upscale (and I use the term loosely), like Naperville or possibly Downers Grove. Heck, head a little further north to Elgin or Hoffman Estates.

Bottom line: Joliet is ok, but as another person said, it has a lot of gangs, beggers, or and all manner of nonsense that could easily ruin your ceremony. Going to a place more upscale would not only give you a better experience, but also a better experience for your friends and family in attendance.
Liberal

Alsip, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Judged:

I'm so proud to live in a state with not only a gay Governor, but our gay President is from here as well! We are so more advanced than other states! Still have homophobic republicants though.
Nicole

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Joliet isn't as bad as most people suggest. It's working class. You won't get shot, for Christ sake.

It's probably more socially conservative than you may expect. I'd suggest Andersonville (aka Boystown) in Chicago for a really gay friendly environment. There's some interesting places to take pictures, especially if you're into big limestone buildings or the joliet iron works site (industrial ruins, basically). Pilcher park is pretty, but there are prettier places, like Starved Rock or the lakefront.
idrawstuff

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Thanks so much for the great replies. I definitely am open to suggestions and love to hear from locals. You guys definitely know more than I do :)
Miss E

Elburn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

Love it wrote:
<quoted text>free sample of K-Y for those that attend, or carpet clipper for for the munchers
I'm actually a card carrying conservative. I like guns and Christianity and Capitalism. I'm far from gay, nor I have even ever 'experimented' in my younger years. I'm just trying to be nice and offer some advice. It is not my preference that gay couples use the term 'marriage', But I have no issue with a 'civil union'. The world we live in however refers to it as marriage so I reluctantly accept the use of the term. That said, your comments are amusing, keep them up!

PS I'm juicy as Hell, no KY required.
Mike

Shorewood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2014

Take a chance and see just what happens.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Joliet Forum right now

Search the Joliet Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 56 min Ace 49,241
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Cold hard facts 3,898
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 5 hr Weneedchange 147
Robert Potter 15 hr Family friend 1
My son wants be a model how do I go by doing so? (Sep '08) 21 hr Eyad Abyad 7
hot sheet Tue hot sheet list 1
Juan Perez around 66+ yrs old (Sep '12) Mon Harriet 8
•••
•••
•••
•••

Joliet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••