Why aren't fireworks legal in Illinois?

Posted in the Joliet Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Duke

Mokena, IL

#2 Mar 5, 2008
I agree with you. I am not for legalizing high powered explosives but ya bottle rockets and roman candles are great. You can shoot them at things, out of moving cars, towards that stray cat who meows outside your window all night. Just fun at its highest degree.
Annoyed In Illinois

Streator, IL

#3 Mar 5, 2008
As far as any serious attempt to enforce the laws against fireworks, they might as well be legal in this town. From about June 10th to August it sounds like Fallujah, Iraq around here.

In 22 years of living here I've not known of one person busted in my neighbrohood for exploding illegal fireworks.

Since: Aug 07

New Lenox, IL

#4 Mar 5, 2008
Duke wrote:
...You can shoot them at things, out of moving cars, towards that stray cat who meows outside your window all night. Just fun at its highest degree.
Oh, yeah... YOU'RE why they're illegal in Illinois.
To AII

Warrenville, IL

#5 Mar 5, 2008
how would you have the police enforce the laws? Especially on 4th of July. They'd have to call in the national guard. If one gets arrested, they all should. But when you have 5000 people lighting illegal fireworks and drinking on top of it, I don't think there's enough police in Illinois to enforce it. So we might as well tax it. Maybe we can make up for the lost revenue due to the smoking ban.
akarussell

United States

#6 Mar 5, 2008
Imagine the noise pollution if legalized! Then I could get some and anger all those around me who have them. LOL I'd have them all year round, up all night,screaming how do you like me now. LOL Went to a concert in WI in 82' 4th of July. All concert and while driving out bottle rockets whizzed by my head. It's like seatbelts, to keep us safe.
boom boom

Ashburn, VA

#7 Mar 6, 2008
To AII wrote:
how would you have the police enforce the laws? Especially on 4th of July. They'd have to call in the national guard. If one gets arrested, they all should. But when you have 5000 people lighting illegal fireworks and drinking on top of it, I don't think there's enough police in Illinois to enforce it. So we might as well tax it. Maybe we can make up for the lost revenue due to the smoking ban.
I suggest calling chief swanson of the new lenox fire department, I hear hes the expert in fire cracker raids. I heard he is going to get 3 piece suits, a black Mercury and change his name to Steve McGarrett just for those raids he leads. Just don,t let him get to close. The electricity coming off that pea size brain could make the fire crackers explode.
Duke

Mokena, IL

#9 Mar 7, 2008
Don't commpare fireworks to seatbelts akarussell. Though i disagree with the firework laws i can understand them. someone lighting off fireworks can hurt other people. If not wearing a seatbelt you can only hurt yourself. Its not the governments place to tell me if I should put myself in more danger by not wearing a seatbelt.

And i know of a friend who actually got a firework ticket in NL but he shot the bottlerocket in front of a cop car so he deserves it. haha
Tax Payer

Arlington Heights, IL

#10 Mar 7, 2008
I was told by a Manahattan cop that allfireworks except snakes, sparklers, smoke bombs are now illegal. I told him these were only fountains and he said nothing is legal but the above things. They sold them right in front of Berkots but they were illegal. What gives?

New Lenox, IL

#11 Mar 7, 2008
Usually the stuff you see at the fireworks stands HERE, in store parking lots, are selling stuff that is PACKAGED like fountains, roman candles, etc., but they're still just smoke bombs and sparklers.

I'm pretty sure your cop was correct.

“KISSES”

Since: Feb 08

SMOOCHY LAND

#12 Mar 9, 2008
Duke wrote:
Don't commpare fireworks to seatbelts akarussell. Though i disagree with the firework laws i can understand them. someone lighting off fireworks can hurt other people. If not wearing a seatbelt you can only hurt yourself. Its not the governments place to tell me if I should put myself in more danger by not wearing a seatbelt.
And i know of a friend who actually got a firework ticket in NL but he shot the bottlerocket in front of a cop car so he deserves it. haha
Seatbelts save money. The government passed a law that saves me money. They also passed laws that require cars to be safer, and will soon pass laws that autos will have to get at least 35 MPG. But the other laws cost us money.
Duke

Mokena, IL

#13 Mar 9, 2008
Seatbelts save money...yes if you get down to it. But the government still has no right to tell someone, exspecially a grown man or women, what to do to protect themselves. If I don't wanna wear my seatbelt, or a helmet on my motorcycles its only me who gets hurt. With fireworks someone can hurt someone else. I'd rather pay the extra money and keep my freedom and liberty then bend down to another law that takes away my rights.
JAO

Schiller Park, IL

#14 Mar 9, 2008
Duke wrote:
Seatbelts save money...yes if you get down to it. But the government still has no right to tell someone, exspecially a grown man or women, what to do to protect themselves. If I don't wanna wear my seatbelt, or a helmet on my motorcycles its only me who gets hurt. With fireworks someone can hurt someone else. I'd rather pay the extra money and keep my freedom and liberty then bend down to another law that takes away my rights.
I agree...How can you enforce seatbelt regulations when you have motorcyclist out there without any means of protection. I believe underaged children should be seat belted because to minimize their ability to distract the driver, but adults should not be required, but suggested to wear them.

New Lenox, IL

#15 Mar 10, 2008
JAO wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree...How can you enforce seatbelt regulations when you have motorcyclist out there without any means of protection. I believe underaged children should be seat belted because to minimize their ability to distract the driver, but adults should not be required, but suggested to wear them.
Great idea. Then when the kids survive an accident but the parents are killed, the kids will get adopted into families with SMART parents, and we'll all be better off.
New Life Church

Mokena, IL

#16 Mar 14, 2008
Thanks for your smart comments. Pray with us then go out and say things like this!!!!!!!!!!

New Lenox, IL

#17 Mar 15, 2008
New Life Church wrote:
Thanks for your smart comments. Pray with us then go out and say things like this!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you know, NLC, I was being sarcastic. I certainly don't hope anyone gets killed - just pointing out how irresponsible it would be for a parent NOT to wear a seatbelt. No need to leave more orphans in the world.
baa boom

Batavia, IL

#18 Jun 28, 2008
Too tell you the truth i think it is just stupid that fireworks are illegal. If people enjoy them and find it fun to hear and watch they should make it legal. I think the most causes of firework accidents are because of homemade fireworks or people set them of while they are drunk. Long story short if people enjoy it and find it fun to watch they should make it legal. :)
Dude

Bloomington, IN

#19 Jun 30, 2008
Actually I live in Antioch, IL, and my friend and I were shooting off bottle rockets on my drive way. A cop was driving by and heard us. So he came back around and made us snap the bottle rockets in half. He felt bad though, and left before we finished snapping them all, so we still had some left. Plus you can still light them and they will explode.
Big Snap

Cicero, IL

#20 Jun 30, 2008
Yea well i live in illinois to. Im in a quiet town in countryside by a larger city named lagrange or hodgkins. I buy fireworks every year. And i think its more fun to like them off illegaly. You get that adrenaline when you hear the syrens roaring. I was thinking about getting that permit it takes to much sooner or later there gonna let fireworks in the state of illinois.
kaykay427

Morris, IL

#21 Jun 30, 2008
I think that small fireworks (such as whistlers, bottle rockets, etc.) should be legal. But the alcohol sales should be banned during the 4th of July weeks.
danger

United States

#22 Jun 30, 2008
if you put a 'witch whistle' in the ground and light it, the powder inside shoots out and can injure you. If you play with sticks of tnt you are making way too much noise, and I really hate smoke bombs. The biggest danger are sparklers, more people are hurt with them than firecrackers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why theater isn't building until 2019 1 hr YOYO 5
Construction on State st. STARTING Nov. 20th!? 1 hr YOyo 6
Mr Sulu vs Roy Moore 3 hr Raging Queen 82
Music awards show-fat women 3 hr 3 wheeler 8
Sharkys Gone 3 hr Geezer 1
still? 11 hr MPMMB 51
I am a Vampire seeking a partner in return of e... (May '11) 13 hr Sara16 60

Joliet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance