RHS needs Coach Smith & Coach House

Posted in the Joliet Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RHS Supporter

Plainfield, IL

#1 Mar 23, 2014
RHS needs to seriously look at the option of having Coach Smith & Coach House return to the high school baseball program. The current system/administration in place is failing miserably at recruiting talent and then subsequently developing said talent. Our record, talent pool, and player development have all gone down hill since Coach Smith & Coach House departed. Our current rosters are filled in abundance with kids that are just glad to be on the team rather than kids who are talented and desire to excel at the game. All three levels (FR, Soph & Varsity) are seriously lacking in many areas of fundamental baseball. Structuring our teams in this configuration takes away from our player development. Simply stated, the majority of these kids would not even be on the team if Coach Smith & Coach House were running the program.

Now I am sure that some of you will say that all kids deserve a chance to play the game, I firmly agree with you. They just don't necessarily need to play at the high school level. There are many other outlets available...Pony, Little League, etc.

Now some of you will even say that these kids deserve to play high school ball! Maybe they do maybe they don't. But you will also be the parent complaining as to why doesn't my kid play, why do we lose, why can't we have a winning season, why can't we win conference or sectionals, or regionals, etc.
Curious

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 23, 2014
RHS Supporter, can you please explain why you feel bringing back Smith and House will improve the baseball program at Romeoville High School?
Also a RHS Supporter

Bolingbrook, IL

#3 Mar 23, 2014
RSH Supporter, I too would like to hear why you think Coach Smith and Coach House, would have so much more success than is currently being achieved. Sure when Smith was coach, RHS was a .500 team 2 of his last 3 years, but during his last year, they only won 6 games. Furthermore, RHS has won a regional game the last 2 years, the same cannot be said before that.

You imply there are a lot kids in the school that are great baseball players that are not playing because Smith and House are not the coaches. I know of a couple of kids that are not playing, but they would not make RHS a 20 win team or conference or regional contender. Also maybe if Coach House didn't go around telling kids not to play high school ball, maybe the couple of kids would be playing. If the kids aren't playing because they don't like the coach, then shame on them. In the future, are they not going to go to work because they do not like their boss.

I would agree that some of the kids are happy to be on the team, but if you think they would not be on the team if Smith and House were coaching, you are kidding yourself. If Smith and House cut these kids, there wouldn't be enough kids to fill a team. Most of these kids cannot afford or don't want to dedicate themselves to baseball 24/7 like you and your son. We don't live in Plainfield, Naperville, Oswego, or Minooka where they have to do it or they won't be on the team.

You sound like you are a coach or have been a coach and your kid is on the team. Based on the number of parents at the first game, I'm pretty sure I know who you are. I'm pretty sure you son, pitched the last inning and didn't have much support in the field and got pulled before the last out. He pitched his butt off and made enough quality pitches, but didn't get the field support. That's going to happen over his next 2+ years.

I get frustrated too, but I just go out and support the kids. They are working hard and are trying hard to do everything right. That's all you can do. See you at the next game.
Casual Observer

Plainfield, IL

#4 Mar 25, 2014
First and foremost let me say that I do not have a child on the team, for that matter I do not have a son, only daughters. What I have done though is see allot of RHS baseball games over the last 5-7 years. Just a fan of the game, not a coach, not a stalker, not living my dreams through someone else...just love the game.

What I have seen at RHS has been a changing of the guard over the last few years. In my opinion they have not been as prepared as they could be. Overall baseball knowledge has been lacking. Baseball fundamentals have been poor. Player development has suffered. In game strategy has been very poor. Overall attitude and motivation to excel at the game has not been prevelant. We are consistently being out-coached. Based on comments in the stands, their appears to be a huge disconnect between the players and coaches and coaches and parents. Allot of DADDY BALL! To many different agendas. Their would appear to be no sense of urgency to get better and produce a better quality product. Why all the issues?

Under Coach Smith and House, there did not appear to be these rampant issues. Now there were the typical problems of why isn't my kid playing more, my kids better than him, why isn't my kid starting. etc. But the product that was put onto the field was prepared to play the game and give RHS the best chance at winning. Teams were fundamentally sound, attitudes were in check, parents, players and coaches were aligned for the common task at hand...winning. Sure was allot simpler back then.

Times at the old ballpark sure have changed!
rhs parent

Chicago, IL

#5 Mar 25, 2014
Bringing back coach house is crazy, in 20 seasons what was acomplished under that leadership...nothing! Everyone wants to blame coaches..of course easy way out ! I can tell you for fact why some of these players aren't playing because I know 3 of them..this current coach makes the players responsible for they're actions on and off the field.plus makes or wants them dedicate themselves to the sport! Which a lot of them don't want to do...let me ask this question to you, how many. Times does your kid work on his game on his own, how many swings does he take per week, how many fielding drills does he do how often is he working out on his body to stay in shape? Dedication like that is what makes an average athlete become elite...talent only goes so far..and I'm not sayin in anyway that its bad some kids want to be kids and not dedicate themselves...hint you and I. Could've worked harder at things and we wouldn't be living in romeoville right? What I'm sayin is it takes a special athlete to dedicate themselves to want to be the best and this is what this coach is asking from his players. I can say this haskins has more state wins from his old school then all previous coaches at rhs combined.. all I can say is I hope he's still around when my 6th grader goes to rhs, because that's the type of person I want pushing my son....someone who knows life ain't easy that u must dedicate yourself to whatever you do..dreams r dreams , hardwork is what makes those dreams reality people regardless my son, your son anyones son...they're all capable its who is going to apply themselves to go farther no matter baseball or life..stop blaming others and the kids who aren't playing which I know them personally...its work ethic. They want to hang out and not dedicate themselves, problem is when they're 18 they're goin to look back and say I wish I would've done things diffrently and then its to late..romeoville had 2 athletes go pro and I knew one of them...he got there because of hardwork and dedication. I will say this smith and haskins worked togather at the mid school last yr..and togather they posted most wins in that schools short history so those 2 can work togather...as for house not the solution and far from..20yrs of nothing he's close to retiring let him do that collect his pension and thank him for all the yrs service to. our community. We need coaches like smith and haskins who don't allow the ass kissing that some parents do, it doesn't help your kids so u should just stop..u can't help johnny all tbru life so get use to it.
Confused

Plainfield, IL

#6 Mar 26, 2014
If their are kids on the team that do not deserve to be there, whether it's attitude, work ethic, commitment, lack of skill, etc...then get them the hell off the team! The varsity level has 20+ kids, do they all deserve to be there? Are they helping the team win? The sophomore and freshmen teams are very poor at best. Previous comments were made about work ethic, commitment to the team, offseason training, etc. Their are a few kids on the fresh/sophomore team that can't even run to first base! Some of them can't even throw and catch! Now, I am not slighting any of the kids, but you do have to ask... How did they make it on the team? What's the criteria being used? How is this setting the program up for future success!
Also a RHS Supporter

Aurora, IL

#7 Mar 26, 2014
Confused, you must really be confused. There are not 20+ kids on the varsity team. There are only 15 kids on the team. How do they make the team? Very simple, there are not enough kids trying out for the team that there can be any cuts made. The problem is not the coaching, the problem is lack of interest in sports at the school. There is over 1700 kids in the school, that breaks down to approximately, 425 per class. Out of approx. 850 kids (425 boys if you assume a 50/50 split) only 2 seniors and 9 or so juniors even came out for the team. How are all levels supposed to be competitive when there is that poor of a turnout. It's not just baseball, but the same thing happens in the majority of the sports.
rhs parent

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 26, 2014
Its exactly what supporter is saying, not enough kids trying out, and like I said the ones who are "talanted" are not playing do to other reasons..I'm speaking freely because I know them personally a lot of it is being accountable and being driven to work hard...which is a shame because these boys do have talent but no work ethnic..its easy to quit. A lot harder to put the work in...problem is in society its ok now adays to not work hard, damn shame! The ones I know don't like to be held accountable its always someone elses fault or coaches fault...I want my kid pushed to be better and know nothings given to u , if u want it you have to out work the other guy...as for the people who try to kiss coaches butt...its a joke your not helping "johnny" no sense of tryin to kiss butt to get playin time..be stand up and have your kid fight for what he wants . He will get further in life eventually u have to cut strings, can't go to work with him when he gets older...also stay home don't need to sit at practices watchin johnny. Not t ball no more let him grow into a man and give that time to his coach !
The Ville

Plainfield, IL

#9 Mar 26, 2014
Unless we are playing kids in wheel chairs or the little sisters of the poor, we're gonna get our ass handed to us every game!
Hmmmm

Plainfield, IL

#10 Mar 26, 2014
What's interesting to me is that every year now this rant starts up about RHS Baseball. In looking at the archives of these rants it would appear that they conveniently started at the time of Haskins arrival in Romeoville! Interesting!

Prior to Haskins we had Smith & House. No rants could be found during their tenure.

Now I continue to read about poor teams, talented kids not wanting to play for Haskins, no dedication, no work effort, etc. All of this with Haskins at the helm!

Where there is smoke, there usually is fire!
rhs parent

Chicago, IL

#11 Mar 26, 2014
Reason there was no rants is because it was all about butt kissing. I know personally my son played for house and seen it first hand! There's only fire because kid aren't accountable. I'm not bashing haskins I support him..if you guys want to kiss ass to get your kids playing time go for it...not how I want my kid to get ahead..I want him to better themselves with hard work...not mommy and daddy holding his hand.. and you r wrong u don't remember the smith rants...I do my oldest son played for him...oh no rants..also no regional wins , sectional wins, nothing ! I can see smith helping but house respect him but goahead and retire..thanks for all the years.
Funny

Romeoville, IL

#12 Mar 26, 2014
It was mentioned that the rants started after House was replaced. Quite a coincidence. Not that a grown man would be so petty. It's time for House to retire. He poisons everyone around him with his negativity and need to get even or punish anyone he thinks wronged him no matter what the cost. Usually it's the kids around him who pay the price from middle school on up. Once upon a time, he may have been a great teacher and coach, but those days are long gone.
Bottom Line

Plainfield, IL

#13 Mar 28, 2014
We suck because we have low enrollment numbers.

We suck because House is/was a bad coach.

We suck because the good players do not want to play.

We suck because Haskins is a bad coach.

We suck because all the good players go to Providence, JCA, etc.

We suck because not enough kids come out for the team.

We suck because there is too much Daddy Ball.

And on, and on, and on!

Bottom line...we suck because our kids just aren't good enough. We can't compete. The other shit you people bring up is actually that, shit! We can't compete because our kids just aren't good enough, Bottom Line!
rhs parent

United States

#14 Mar 28, 2014
Bottom line...your an idiot! I can see just from your comments that your a negative thought person..shows how far you got in life...why don't u try to support your kid instead of bashing him and the others by not saying there not good enough...put your old style down get your kid off nintendo and go practice with him, maybe if you give him a lil support he can reach his potential.
Take It Easy

Plainfield, IL

#15 Mar 29, 2014
rhs parent wrote:
Bottom line...your an idiot! I can see just from your comments that your a negative thought person..shows how far you got in life...why don't u try to support your kid instead of bashing him and the others by not saying there not good enough...put your old style down get your kid off nintendo and go practice with him, maybe if you give him a lil support he can reach his potential.
Jesus, take it easy! Your son plays friggin baseball at Romeoville High School! All this crap from you about work ethic, dedication, potential, commitment...again, you are playing baseball at Romeoville High School! The way you are spouted your BS, little johnny is destined to be on the cover of Wheaties! I'm sure you have got the trophy case ready for the NCAA Championship, maybe the Olympic Gold Medal and hell even a World Series Trophy! Lets remember that the majority of these kids playing are just neighborhood kids playing ball and would not even make the team if they played for a JCA, St. Rita, Providence, Naperville, Mt. Carmel, and the list could go on and on and on! Lets not even mention Chicagoland schools! Be happy little johnny plays and hopefully enjoys playing.

Lastly, I hope little johnny becomes a better man than the baseball player he currently is!
rhs parent

Fort Worth, TX

#16 Mar 31, 2014
Well my son graxduated already and is playin baseball in college and no we don't have trophy box..he's playhin a game hopefully as long as he can and we will support him all the way through..and he is in school for engineering..I'm just sayin everyone blames erveryone else for their kids shortfall, take responsibility yourself..and I'm sayin I hope haskins is there to push my 6th grader
Bottom Line

Plainfield, IL

#17 Apr 2, 2014
Lets see...first game of the year, we lose 12 - 0.

Second game of the year, we lose 9 - 1.

Now some would say, hey we're getting better since we didn't give up as many runs this time.

Other people might say, we've managed to lose two games by a combined score of 21 - 1! That pretty much sucks!

I saw both games...it will be quite awhile (5-7 years or more) before we will be able to compete with anybody.
Coach

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 2, 2014
rhs parent wrote:
Well my son graxduated already and is playin baseball in college and no we don't have trophy box..he's playhin a game hopefully as long as he can and we will support him all the way through..and he is in school for engineering..I'm just sayin everyone blames erveryone else for their kids shortfall, take responsibility yourself..and I'm sayin I hope haskins is there to push my 6th grader
Lawn-mowing engineering or blacktop engineering?
Bottom Line

Plainfield, IL

#19 Apr 2, 2014
Bottom Line wrote:
Lets see...first game of the year, we lose 12 - 0.
Second game of the year, we lose 9 - 1.
Now some would say, hey we're getting better since we didn't give up as many runs this time.
Other people might say, we've managed to lose two games by a combined score of 21 - 1! That pretty much sucks!
I saw both games...it will be quite awhile (5-7 years or more) before we will be able to compete with anybody.
Third game of the year, we lose 13 - 0! At least put an effort into it!
rhs parent

Chicago, IL

#20 Apr 3, 2014
Coach wrote:
<quoted text>
Lawn-mowing engineering or blacktop engineering?
lmao! Your such an idiot...ill be at next game reveal yourself and ill show you up close what engineering.....u won't even have to put your old style down ill shov it down your throat for you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
attention all trump supporters 2 min okimar 142
Are We Watching the End Of the Trump Presidency? 1 hr Bannon 2
Tadpoles need a rescue 1 hr Actually 7
No Evidence No Crime No Charges 1 hr MyPantiesMatchMyBra 26
If there is no God, then there is no objective ... 2 hr MyPantiesMatchMyBra 25
The Mosque in Orland 2 hr Actually 26
Distinctive Builders Back at Butternut Ridge (Mar '13) 7 hr Manhattan101 15

Joliet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance