New Lenox or Lockport?

Posted in the Joliet Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Confused mom

Lockport, IL

#1 Nov 8, 2013
We are living in Lockport right now, but can't decide if we should stay here or move to New Lenox.

Thoughts?
crystal springs

Tinley Park, IL

#2 Nov 9, 2013
Confused mom wrote:
We are living in Lockport right now, but can't decide if we should stay here or move to New Lenox.

Thoughts?
New lenox. Better schools and i think a better area all around.
Proud American

New Lenox, IL

#3 Nov 9, 2013
Confused mom wrote:
We are living in Lockport right now, but can't decide if we should stay here or move to New Lenox.
Thoughts?
We made the move from Lockport to New Lenox in 07 and still feel it was a great move. NL is actually growing and building new businesses. Lockport kind of sucks!
Uhh

Mokena, IL

#4 Nov 9, 2013
Mokena.
Wtf

Lockport, IL

#5 Nov 9, 2013
Blah... Not Mokena! Yawn!
Wake up

New Lenox, IL

#6 Nov 10, 2013
Things I learned when looking for a home in New Lenox two years ago: drive thru the neighborhood as many times as you can. One day it may be peaceful, the next day there is probably ignorant jerk-off kids running rampant up and down the block, dropping their water bottles and candy wrappers on your lawn, laughing as their dog craps on your lawn, riding their bikes & scooters thru your grass, all the while their "loving & attentive" parents are hiding out in the house,pretending their kids are angels.
Take note of people's front yards, if they don't have time to cut the grass & weed whack the front, their backyard is probably 10x worse. Look at the age group of the kids. If there are teenagers on the block, they most likely drive like idiots, blasting their loud music and getting high a minute before they pull out of their driveway. If there dogs running free, they are crapping on your lawn and not their own. Things I learned after the fact that I wish I knew before I signed on the dotted line. AND not all neighborhoods operate this way. I have plenty of family & friends who's neighborhoods are not like mine.
crystal springs

Tinley Park, IL

#7 Nov 10, 2013
Wake up wrote:
Things I learned when looking for a home in New Lenox two years ago: drive thru the neighborhood as many times as you can. One day it may be peaceful, the next day there is probably ignorant jerk-off kids running rampant up and down the block, dropping their water bottles and candy wrappers on your lawn, laughing as their dog craps on your lawn, riding their bikes & scooters thru your grass, all the while their "loving & attentive" parents are hiding out in the house,pretending their kids are angels.
Take note of people's front yards, if they don't have time to cut the grass & weed whack the front, their backyard is probably 10x worse. Look at the age group of the kids. If there are teenagers on the block, they most likely drive like idiots, blasting their loud music and getting high a minute before they pull out of their driveway. If there dogs running free, they are crapping on your lawn and not their own. Things I learned after the fact that I wish I knew before I signed on the dotted line. AND not all neighborhoods operate this way. I have plenty of family & friends who's neighborhoods are not like mine.
What is this neighborhood called in new lenox you talking about?
Fred

Manhattan, IL

#8 Nov 10, 2013
What the hell does this have to do with little New York?
Unincorporated

Mokena, IL

#9 Nov 10, 2013
Move to Indiana. You won't have the mountain of unfunded liabilities hanging over your property tax bill like we are about to.
nothin butt squat

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 10, 2013
Unincorporated wrote:
Move to Indiana. You won't have the mountain of unfunded liabilities hanging over your property tax bill like we are about to.
You so - sooooo right. Valpo is the place to be. NL is thriving right now, but that can be easily killed off by Illinois politicians. Valpo.
mom42

Calumet City, IL

#11 Nov 14, 2013
We moved to New Lenox in August 2013. Got a great deal on a forclosure.I was VERY hesitant about the move,because of some of the postings on this site.I'm used to an integrated community,unfortunitately the schools hit the "tipping point" where we used to live.My husband finally convinced me that we should move there-better schools,close to his job.The day we closed on the house,I went to clean it.While I was getting the cleaning equipment out of the car;the next door neighbor was watching me. She came over,& made a comment about my old vacuum cleaner ruining the rugs. I guess she thought I was the maid.When my kids started school,the primary grades,& the upper grades start at different times,I,m up at 5am to take the little ones to school by 7am the my older son starts at 9am. The bus fees were outrageous.$600.00 for the three of them.Where we used to live the bus was free if we lived a certain distance from the schools.I wanted to buy new security screen doors for the house-we've always had them on our previous homes. My husband hit the ceiling,saying the neighbors will have a s**tfit if we put those THINGS- on our house.The schools started out ok-I was worried about bullying,so I told my boys to stick together,&keep their mouths shut! No problems yet,but they hate it here. In the old neighborhood they had tons of friends,they feel like their in prison! At the open house my kids'teachers were concerned that they were behind. They did very well in the old school,but it supposedly isn't up to par compared to NL schools.in The beginning of October,I got the mail. There was literature about joining the ku klux klan.My husband thought it was some kind of joke,until it hit the papers! I immediately started looking for a house in another area.Found a great deal in Evergreen Park,made an offer,& it was accepted. We move 1st of the year,can't wait. I told my husband,if he wants to live here he can,but,we're moving! He just keeps his mouth shut,& shakes his head in disbelief,because I was right about this awful place;and yes he's going too!The house is for sale,we've had several showings.The realtor says the house will sell because it's beautiful,priced right-we'll make money on the sale.This is supposedly a desirable area? I wish whoever buys it the best of luck! We can't get out of here fast enough!
NL Mom

Mokena, IL

#12 Nov 14, 2013
mom42 wrote:
We moved to New Lenox in August 2013. Got a great deal on a forclosure.I was VERY hesitant about the move,because of some of the postings on this site.I'm used to an integrated community,unfortunitately the schools hit the "tipping point" where we used to live.My husband finally convinced me that we should move there-better schools,close to his job.The day we closed on the house,I went to clean it.While I was getting the cleaning equipment out of the car;the next door neighbor was watching me. She came over,& made a comment about my old vacuum cleaner ruining the rugs. I guess she thought I was the maid.When my kids started school,the primary grades,& the upper grades start at different times,I,m up at 5am to take the little ones to school by 7am the my older son starts at 9am. The bus fees were outrageous.$600.00 for the three of them.Where we used to live the bus was free if we lived a certain distance from the schools.I wanted to buy new security screen doors for the house-we've always had them on our previous homes. My husband hit the ceiling,saying the neighbors will have a s**tfit if we put those THINGS- on our house.The schools started out ok-I was worried about bullying,so I told my boys to stick together,&keep their mouths shut! No problems yet,but they hate it here. In the old neighborhood they had tons of friends,they feel like their in prison! At the open house my kids'teachers were concerned that they were behind. They did very well in the old school,but it supposedly isn't up to par compared to NL schools.in The beginning of October,I got the mail. There was literature about joining the ku klux klan.My husband thought it was some kind of joke,until it hit the papers! I immediately started looking for a house in another area.Found a great deal in Evergreen Park,made an offer,& it was accepted. We move 1st of the year,can't wait. I told my husband,if he wants to live here he can,but,we're moving! He just keeps his mouth shut,& shakes his head in disbelief,because I was right about this awful place;and yes he's going too!The house is for sale,we've had several showings.The realtor says the house will sell because it's beautiful,priced right-we'll make money on the sale.This is supposedly a desirable area? I wish whoever buys it the best of luck! We can't get out of here fast enough!
Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience in New Lenox but in my opinion it's a great community and it's been a fantastic place for us to live and raise our kids. In all of the years I've lived here I've never received any racist literature nor have any neighbors made me feel unwelcome. Even if I had, I couldn't blame a whole community for the actions of a few. As far as the schools go, your kids would have gotten an excellent education in the New Lenox, especially the Lincolnway High Schools. Maybe if you stuck it out a little longer you would have seen that for yourself.
Content

New Lenox, IL

#13 Nov 14, 2013
We moved from Tinley almost 10 years ago and it was the best move we've ever made. Our family is very happy here in New Lenox and don't plan on leaving. The kids are thriving in the schools and have great friends. As with any town, anywhere, there are jerks. Like the other post says, when you find an area you want to consider, go through it different days at different times. Don't just drive through, either. Walk. If you have a dog, take it with you for a walk (don't forget to clean up after it), and if you have kids, take them walking with you. Go to the nearby parks as well. Don't just drive through looking out through the glass.
disappointed

New Lenox, IL

#14 Nov 14, 2013
I would have to agree with the lady who wants to move about the schools. New Lenox schools are NOT as great as they boast. Maybe the high schools are fantastic but the elementary schools are way behind the times. They say they are Common Core and they ARE NOT!!! People around here really should wake up. It is not what they think. The school district does not have money to buy updated materials. It is not what it seems. I am personally a disappointed parent. I too moved here thinking it would be a better opportunity for my kids. So far, eh, not so much. Maybe more time will change my mind, but in the mean time, I am not a fan of this town and its been six months.
Wicked

New Lenox, IL

#15 Nov 14, 2013
We moved here 5 years ago from Palos Heights. The amount of people who have the mentality "we live in new lenox and everything is wonderful" is a joke. There are 7th & 8th graders doing hardcore drugs, there are garages & cars getting broken into everyday in every neighborhood, there are low life scum selling drugs to kids and idiots in parking lots and on your own street, there are dumb parents who allow their 7 & 8 year old kids to wander the neighborhood. Dumb parents have no idea if their new neighbor is a pedophile, drug dealer, or raging alcoholic that beats the wife & kids. Because no one takes the time to talk to each other, but they have no problem bitching when they need to defend their ignorant kids.. My wife does daycare out of our home and only stays in the backyard because she will not subject the kids to the lunacy that takes place on our street. We will be doing what we can to move back to Palos.
NL Mom

Mokena, IL

#16 Nov 15, 2013
Wicked wrote:
We moved here 5 years ago from Palos Heights. The amount of people who have the mentality "we live in new lenox and everything is wonderful" is a joke. There are 7th & 8th graders doing hardcore drugs, there are garages & cars getting broken into everyday in every neighborhood, there are low life scum selling drugs to kids and idiots in parking lots and on your own street, there are dumb parents who allow their 7 & 8 year old kids to wander the neighborhood. Dumb parents have no idea if their new neighbor is a pedophile, drug dealer, or raging alcoholic that beats the wife & kids. Because no one takes the time to talk to each other, but they have no problem bitching when they need to defend their ignorant kids.. My wife does daycare out of our home and only stays in the backyard because she will not subject the kids to the lunacy that takes place on our street. We will be doing what we can to move back to Palos.
What subdivision do you live in??? Sure glad I'm not in your neck of the woods.
disappointed

New Lenox, IL

#17 Nov 15, 2013
Palos family- I think it is crazy how New Lenox is this big talk and when you get here-it is not that great. I don't know anything about the drugs or bad neighbors. I like mine, but the schools have been a HUGE let down for us. I also think it is crazy how people keep to themselves so much. I have never seen anything like it. I am curious what subdivision you live in? Also, let's be honest-I do know people don't come to Topix to talk about how wonderful everything is in their life. I try to stay off here, but sometimes it is informative. Overall, I don't want to feed into my dislike for this town by coming on here, but I do find it entertaining and sometimes you do find out good stuff.
Realtor

Mokena, IL

#18 Nov 15, 2013
mom42 wrote:
We moved to New Lenox in August 2013. Got a great deal on a forclosure.I was VERY hesitant about the move,because of some of the postings on this site.I'm used to an integrated community,unfortunitately the schools hit the "tipping point" where we used to live.My husband finally convinced me that we should move there-better schools,close to his job.The day we closed on the house,I went to clean it.While I was getting the cleaning equipment out of the car;the next door neighbor was watching me. She came over,& made a comment about my old vacuum cleaner ruining the rugs. I guess she thought I was the maid.When my kids started school,the primary grades,& the upper grades start at different times,I,m up at 5am to take the little ones to school by 7am the my older son starts at 9am. The bus fees were outrageous.$600.00 for the three of them.Where we used to live the bus was free if we lived a certain distance from the schools.I wanted to buy new security screen doors for the house-we've always had them on our previous homes. My husband hit the ceiling,saying the neighbors will have a s**tfit if we put those THINGS- on our house.The schools started out ok-I was worried about bullying,so I told my boys to stick together,&keep their mouths shut! No problems yet,but they hate it here. In the old neighborhood they had tons of friends,they feel like their in prison! At the open house my kids'teachers were concerned that they were behind. They did very well in the old school,but it supposedly isn't up to par compared to NL schools.in The beginning of October,I got the mail. There was literature about joining the ku klux klan.My husband thought it was some kind of joke,until it hit the papers! I immediately started looking for a house in another area.Found a great deal in Evergreen Park,made an offer,& it was accepted. We move 1st of the year,can't wait. I told my husband,if he wants to live here he can,but,we're moving! He just keeps his mouth shut,& shakes his head in disbelief,because I was right about this awful place;and yes he's going too!The house is for sale,we've had several showings.The realtor says the house will sell because it's beautiful,priced right-we'll make money on the sale.This is supposedly a desirable area? I wish whoever buys it the best of luck! We can't get out of here fast enough!
Keep up the negative posts, I'm sure it'll help you sell quickly.
EP Resident

Chicago, IL

#19 Nov 15, 2013
Welcome back to the Southside...We thought about moving to Will County. I realized that a community is olmy as good as its residents. There doesn't seem to be a sense of community out here. Maybe I'm wrong but we're staying put in EP.
Happy in NL

New Lenox, IL

#20 Nov 16, 2013
Two words: Chicago water.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Palin 2016 7 min go jeb 44
More lies to try and deceive 1 hr Good For The Goose 59
Where are all the MILFS 1 hr Joe G 3
Who is Jim Petrakos? 1 hr FACT FINDER 25
No Go Zone in America 2 hr John Sanchez 40
Trustee Candidate Wants to Bring New Blood to N... 2 hr ted 1
Man Tortured by ISIS says they have "plan worse... 2 hr Orca 4
Joliet Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Joliet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:04 am PST

NFL10:04AM
Richardson was suspended for two Colts playoff games
ESPN10:58 AM
Colts won't commit to RB Richardson for 2015
Yahoo! Sports11:49 AM
League conducts nearly 40 interviews into 'deflate-gate'
Yahoo! Sports11:50 AM
NFL: No decision yet on deflated balls
NBC Sports12:54 PM
Grigson goes silent on NFL investigation into Patriots