Joliet man involved in accident dies ...

Joliet man involved in accident dies after jumping from bridge

There are 78 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 30, 2008, titled Joliet man involved in accident dies after jumping from bridge. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A 23-year-old Joliet man died early Monday after leaping off a bridge, apparently in an attempt to avoid police who showed up after the vehicle he was driving was involved in an accident.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
lisa

Alsip, IL

#2 Jul 1, 2008
must had warrants for his arrest
LOL

Joliet, IL

#3 Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for saving the taxpayers money..Another Darwin nominee
WTF

United States

#6 Jul 1, 2008
"Joliet man dies in bridge fall" so how does this headline from your web site match the story? Falling and jumping are 2 different things, some of us will fall when Obama is elected those that vote for him will be jumpers
Hank Reardon

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 1, 2008
Time to outlaw bridges.
Logical

United States

#8 Jul 1, 2008
Have to wonder what no good nonsense he as up to...
Teacher

Lahaina, HI

#9 Jul 1, 2008
It is easy to judge others when you do not have all of the details. Did it occur to anyone that he may have been a severely depressed young man and that for one he was not an issue to tax payers at all. Never in trouble with the law but just tormented in his own mind. This young man, "Neil" who you have judged to strongly is my nephew and surely never did a thing to you. He was trying to get help. Perhaps your comments should reflect positive thoughts towards the family who must now pickup the pieces, or sadness that a young man of 23 should die so young. Perhaps those of you who are judging him should know that he was in college and just perhaps, you should place your own lives under a microscope and judge yourselves. Trashing others who cannot speak for themselves is so easy...but, is it right?
Teacher

Lahaina, HI

#10 Jul 1, 2008
LOL wrote:
Thanks for saving the taxpayers money..Another Darwin nominee
It is easy to judge others when you do not have all of the details. Did it occur to anyone that he may have been a severely depressed young man and that for one he was not an issue to tax payers at all. Never in trouble with the law but just tormented in his own mind. This young man, "Neil" who you have judged to strongly is my nephew and surely never did a thing to you. He was trying to get help. Perhaps your comments should reflect positive thoughts towards the family who must now pickup the pieces, or sadness that a young man of 23 should die so young. Perhaps those of you who are judging him should know that he was in college and just perhaps, you should place your own lives under a microscope and judge yourselves. Trashing others who cannot speak for themselves is so easy...but, is it right?
Hmmmm

Arlington Heights, IL

#11 Jul 1, 2008
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems you have a lot of family in the Chicago area based on your similar posts on different stories ....

Judging with anonimity is an unfortunate by-product of forums. Lots of passive agressive behavior comes to the surface ...

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#12 Jul 1, 2008
We're all sorry for your nephew's death. However, if you can't take the criticism he will undoubtedly incur due to the less than shining circumstances he died under, simply don't come onto the forum.
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Cletus

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Jul 1, 2008
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
So now your saying he was retarded? Even if he was who cares, another thug off the streets.
broken hearted

Upper Sandusky, OH

#14 Jul 1, 2008
Cornealius was very loved and is going to be missed very much. It is too bad you never meet him, he was a joy to be around.
We all have our issue's and rebel in one way or another, unfortunetly this time it took his life. He was not another criminal on the streets, he was a brother, a son, a father, a cousin, a nephew, and a very good friend.
Did anyone stop to think there is always more to the story then what is being said, remind you he was never found guilty for the possesion charge. Judging people on something that has never been proved in a court of law! That is just sterotyping and nieve.
It is too bad that others can not look at the other side of the story, when you are unable to do that, it makes you look closed minded.
So keep in mind, you can make your comments and state your opinions, but I knew him, you did not, and I know the truth along with everyone else who loved him.
You are not the one's who have to live with this the rest of your life. You do not have to watch your loved ones suffer such a loss over a stupied one night mistake.
You do not have to look at your loved ones and tell them you can not make it better for them.
We all regret what happened, it was sensless and a stupied move.
But stop and think of the information that as not been said.

Love you Cornealius!
You will be in our hearts forever.
broken hearted

Upper Sandusky, OH

#15 Jul 1, 2008
According to the Will County Sheriff office, this was not a chase. There were no officers at the scene to witness the accident.
I am really starting to wonder who to trust, the papers, the doctors, or the sheriff department????
I hope nobody is writing false infomation about this tragic death?

" 6/30/08 " http://www.willcosheriff.com/newspad/newslett...

Summary: Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to a two vehicle crash with a driver who threw himself off the bridge. Upon arrival deputies observed a 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible facing east across the center lanes of traffic with significant damage and airbags deployed. The passenger from the vehicle, Eric Fleming, age 26, of Cardinal Street in Joliet was sitting on the ground near the vehicle and stated to deputies that he and the driver of the Chrysler, Cornealius A. Moffett, age 23, of 1 Woodridge Court in Madison, WI, were coming home from a friend’s house, where they had been drinking, and were traveling north on Briggs. Moffett was traveling at about 100 mph when his vehicle clipped the back end of another vehicle, lost control of the car and hit the guardrail three times before coming to a stop. Moffett reportedly said “If the police come, I’m going to run for it”, at which time he exited the vehicle, ran towards the bridge rail on the east side and leaped over it falling approximately 50 to 60 feet. Moffett was found unresponsive and was transported to Silver Cross Hospital by East Joliet Fire, where it was later reported that he suffered a cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead. Fleming was treated for minor injuries and released.
Teacher

Lahaina, HI

#16 Jul 1, 2008
Cletus wrote:
<quoted text>
So now your saying he was retarded? Even if he was who cares, another thug off the streets.
Wow Cletus,
You must have a wonderful life which keeps you busy picking fights with saddened family members of people you do NOT know. Maybe putting your beer down and finding a job, a girlfriend, a boyfriend, or hell, go find yourself a blow-up doll to keep yourself busy. Your extra time is allowing your stupid to show. You assume this kid was a thug so that would mean that we should assume that you are simply a "hick". A whole lot of people are just going to pray for you. You seriously need it. People are sad about losing a child from their family no matter what the circumstances were.
People like you are so quick to crucify. YOU NEED JESUS.
Voice of common sense

El Dorado Hills, CA

#17 Jul 1, 2008
OK, thats either all lies or you didn't know him as good as you thought you did becuase he was scheduled to appear in court July 16 on a charge of possession of a controlled substance. He also was arrested in November 2007 for stealing from a Bolingbrook Meijer. Anyway, on the night he died, him and his buddy drank a half bottle of tequilla then decided to drive drunk. They hit a car on Briggs, Got up over 100 MPH on Briggs, lost control of the car, hit the gaurdrail on the right, went across four lanes of traffic, hit the gaurdrail on the left, then shot across 3 lanes where the car came to rest. The guy had been in trouble with the law before and didn't want to get busted again so he told his passenger he was running and then proceeded to get out of the car, run west across Briggs Street, jumped the gaurdrail and basically did a 55 foot high bellyflop onto the ground below. If you want to read an article about what a pile of crap your nephew was click on this. http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews...
Teacher wrote:
broken hearted

Upper Sandusky, OH

#19 Jul 2, 2008
Voice of common sense wrote:
OK, thats either all lies or you didn't know him as good as you thought you did becuase he was scheduled to appear in court July 16 on a charge of possession of a controlled substance. He also was arrested in November 2007 for stealing from a Bolingbrook Meijer. Anyway, on the night he died, him and his buddy drank a half bottle of tequilla then decided to drive drunk. They hit a car on Briggs, Got up over 100 MPH on Briggs, lost control of the car, hit the gaurdrail on the right, went across four lanes of traffic, hit the gaurdrail on the left, then shot across 3 lanes where the car came to rest. The guy had been in trouble with the law before and didn't want to get busted again so he told his passenger he was running and then proceeded to get out of the car, run west across Briggs Street, jumped the gaurdrail and basically did a 55 foot high bellyflop onto the ground below. If you want to read an article about what a pile of crap your nephew was click on this. http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews...
<quoted text>
How can anyone judge someone they never knew?
The arrest for the theft in 2007, was dismissed due to the stores video showed someone else doing the crime, it turned out it was not even Cornealius. For the drug Charge, was he found guilty?
Why don't you know your facts before you talk?
broken hearted

Upper Sandusky, OH

#20 Jul 2, 2008
Saluki Rod wrote:
We're all sorry for your nephew's death. However, if you can't take the criticism he will undoubtedly incur due to the less than shining circumstances he died under, simply don't come onto the forum.
<quoted text>
I don't think we are not able to take the criticism, just can not take the crap people can say without knowing the whole truth of the situation. I thought as Americans we all would not judge one another until we knew the truth?
Plus, like none of us has made stupied mistakes or did something we will reget for the rest of our lives?
Please stop and think about what you would do if this was your son or brother? What you would do if you tried everything to help your loved one and it still ended like this? or you watched your loved one make a mistake and blame yourself?

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#21 Jul 2, 2008
I can tell you with 100% certainty I'd not have the time or energy to be on a forum board for the Tribune debating the merits of my lost loved one, that's for d**n sure.
broken hearted wrote:
<quoted text>
Please stop and think about what you would do if this was your son or brother? What you would do if you tried everything to help your loved one and it still ended like this? or you watched your loved one make a mistake and blame yourself?
annonymous

United States

#22 Jul 2, 2008
Look!!! >>>> For all the ones who got something negative to say about my nephew, if u want to do something about it ...comment back to me and i'll give yo azz an address bitches!!!!!!!!!
all dat talk to talk...can you walk to walk????
Voice of common sense

El Dorado Hills, CA

#23 Jul 2, 2008
I know the facts. How could he be found guilty when his dumb ass jumped off a bridge and killed himself before the trial. Justice was served either way though so it all worked out in the end.
broken hearted wrote:
<quoted text>
How can anyone judge someone they never knew?
The arrest for the theft in 2007, was dismissed due to the stores video showed someone else doing the crime, it turned out it was not even Cornealius. For the drug Charge, was he found guilty?
Why don't you know your facts before you talk?
Voice of common sense

El Dorado Hills, CA

#24 Jul 2, 2008
It's people like you that are destroying this country. Do yourself a favor. Next time you want to buy yourself some "bling" or drugs stop and think about investing in a hooked on phonics instead. Maybe then you won't be such an illiterate waste of life.
annonymous wrote:
Look!!! >>>> For all the ones who got something negative to say about my nephew, if u want to do something about it ...comment back to me and i'll give yo azz an address bitches!!!!!!!!!
all dat talk to talk...can you walk to walk????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joliet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2017 Village election 30 min Stags 12
Hooker (Oct '14) 36 min Stags 25
Coyotes 45 min Stags 4
2016, the current electorate realized no develo... 3 hr Troll Killer 27
The TRUE history of the Libertarian party..... 4 hr David Stockman 6
So, how "Christian" is Donald Trump?? 8 hr athiest lives matter 31
While louisiana Sinks Obama Plays Golf 9 hr Uncle Sugar 12

Joliet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance