Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2012

Judged:

Went to the drag srip tonight and couldn't help but notice EVERYBODY is a fatass! Since when did America become so damned fat? Is it the corn syrup in EVERYTHING? Is it the portions? Is it the sedentary lifestyle and all around sloth? What is UP!
Unincorporated

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2012

Remember Travolta in Saturday Night Fever? He was a rail. What's changed? Even the teenagers are huge.
hmm

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2012

Judged:

Are you both perfect looking? Who are you to judge? You wouldn't say why are people so black these days or why are people so gay these days. Get lives and worry about your own appearances.
dajesus

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Unincorporated wrote:
Went to the drag srip tonight and couldn't help but notice EVERYBODY is a fatass! Since when did America become so damned fat? Is it the corn syrup in EVERYTHING? Is it the portions? Is it the sedentary lifestyle and all around sloth? What is UP!
What kind of yellowhammer goes to drag races? Or did you just get confused and thought it was a drag convention?
Unincorporated

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

So, you're both fatasses? No answer. Look around you. It is an epidemic. Personal pride is gone in America. And yes, I have maintained the same waist size since I was 16, I am now 50. Hard work and pushing myself away from the dinner table when full helps. You should try it sometime before you end up with diabetes or a coronary. You fat bastard.
secret id

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Unincorporated wrote:
So, you're both fatasses? No answer. Look around you. It is an epidemic. Personal pride is gone in America. And yes, I have maintained the same waist size since I was 16, I am now 50. Hard work and pushing myself away from the dinner table when full helps. You should try it sometime before you end up with diabetes or a coronary. You fat bastard.
were they just qualifying yesterday? I get stuck in a storm everytime I go, I we opted out this year.
I blame the baby-weight ;-)
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

the reason americans are fast is pop is cheaper than water fast food is cheaper and faster with both parents working who has time to cook. I seen a sign at speedway that said buy a diet coke get a free candy bar free.
Then you have all the gas stations selling food thats full of fat and calories.
I could go on but whats the point.
Appalled

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

secret id wrote:
<quoted text>I blame the baby-weight ;-)
Me too. I'm still working on getting into my pre-pregnancy jeans. They have been hanging in the closet now for 34 years. I am very confident that it will happen some day though, so I refuse to change my weight on my license!
troll

Frankfort, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

It's Obama's fault...just like everything else!
Whatever

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Unincorporated wrote:
Not everyone feels they are in the position of judging others. Is every aspect of your life perfect? Do you smoke? Do you drink? Is your house perfect? Is everything in your life perfect? Just because someone may not be the thinnest person doesn't mean they aren't a good person with a good heart unlike people who sit in judgement and make fun of other's struggles. Do you know what else is an epidemic in this country? Jackasses are everywhere.
Unincorporated

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone feels they are in the position of judging others. Is every aspect of your life perfect? Do you smoke? Do you drink? Is your house perfect? Is everything in your life perfect? Just because someone may not be the thinnest person doesn't mean they aren't a good person with a good heart unlike people who sit in judgement and make fun of other's struggles. Do you know what else is an epidemic in this country? Jackasses are everywhere.
So you're a fatass too? I am trying to make the point that EVEYWHERE I go there are an abundance of fat people. I mean really fat. I remember being a kid and one kid in class had a fat gene and was called all kinds of hurtful names. Now if a kid is skinny or a normal weight they are the Odd Thomas. What happened? Where is the self control? Video games? Corn syrup? Fast food ALL the time? What do you think? Not being in shape can cheat you out of an opportunity for a fun and productive life. Get off the couch. I'm going swimming.

“my-take-on-truth .blogspot.com”

Since: Dec 11

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Unincorporated wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember being a kid and one kid in class had a fat gene and was called all kinds of hurtful names. Now if a kid is skinny or a normal weight they are the Odd Thomas.
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Being fat is stigmatized in the US by a media system that promptly and thoroughly informs you that being fat is one of the worst things that you could be. No matter how many people are fat, that won't overturn this message that we've been bombarded with since we were young. When I was a kid, the overweight kids were made fun of. That's still true today and I hear about it consistently from family members at different ages in the schooling system.
Whatever

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

An Anonymous Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Being fat is stigmatized in the US by a media system that promptly and thoroughly informs you that being fat is one of the worst things that you could be. No matter how many people are fat, that won't overturn this message that we've been bombarded with since we were young. When I was a kid, the overweight kids were made fun of. That's still true today and I hear about it consistently from family members at different ages in the schooling system.
For the first time ever I agree with you on something, Anonymous.
Seriously

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Unfortunately, Unincorporated is right, but you could have Bern a little more tactful in choosing your words. Obesity in America is a hugh problem and is costing us a sh**load of money in medical expenses each year. However attacking people who are pissed off at the way you're communicating here is not the answer. The answer starts with educating the public on how serious an issue this is. I have attached a link that will help you understand the problem: www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html/

I do like "Whatever's" response above. I would rather deal with heavy nice people than thin a-holes any day of the week. I'm not sayin', I'm just sain'.
uhhuh

Romeoville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Chris wrote:
the reason americans are fast is pop is cheaper than water fast food is cheaper and faster with both parents working who has time to cook. I seen a sign at speedway that said buy a diet coke get a free candy bar free.
Then you have all the gas stations selling food thats full of fat and calories.
I could go on but whats the point.
Who says fast food is cheaper? I wouldn't say fast food is cheaper--the last time I went to McD's w/ my 3 kids(about a month ago, as an 'end of the school year' treat), it was pretty expensive. I was shocked at how much four regular hamburgers, two large fries, 2 soft drinks and a coffee cost! I think it's pure laziness. It's too much work to go to the grocery store, put the food away, and cook it for breakfast, lunch, dinner. So much cheaper too--the amount of money I paid for that fast food lunch, I could have grilled chicken on the bbq and had it for 2 days. When I was a kid, fast food was a treat; maybe a couple of times of month, if that. Some people go there everyday for their meals. That's what's making people fat. Cook at home, you control the content, the portions, etc. Get fast food ALL the time and you get fat. That simple.
Chubbsie Ubbsie

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Im too sexy for my shirt. Im too sexy. Get in my stomach, now. I love being a fat bastard. I can pull custard right out of my arse cheeks. Im a doomsday prepper, that is eating all the food instead of storing it in Mason jars. I like big butts and I cannot lie, Uni may deny. If your waist is the same size at 50 as it was at 16 then you have not been living right. A waist is a terrible thing to mind. Just finished some Garrets cheesecorn and a cold beer.

Since: Apr 07

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

Well let's see. There aren't as many jobs in the good old USA anymore, and a lot of those are office or even on your feet jobs, which don't burn that many calories. I don't see many people being employed to dig canals or work in the fields. Not that those jobs ever paid very much, mind you. And then there's the food.

It is cheaper to grow my veggies than it is to buy them. The prices at Jewel, Berkot, Wal-mart, etc are ridiculous, and from my experience, produce from wal-mart goes bad the next day.

And yes, It's The High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is basically a slow acting, accumulative toxin, at least for people. They even feed the cows corn! Cows did not evolve eating solely corn, they evolved eating GRASS!

And video games. I remember as a kid playing with toys, using my imagination, actually running around and doing things. Now that I'm an adult, who can't find a job, I spend most of my time job hunting, online mind you, and having to subsist on whatever food food stamps can buy me for a month, which is a lot of hot pockets and tea. I walk and exercise when I can, which is hard, cause I have to find a job right? And all the depression which comes from being unemployed and dirt poor, really kills my energy. Most days I wish I wouldn't wake up.

I'm 6'3 and went from 160lbs in 2005 to 270lbs now.

But heh, this is what everyone and their parents and grandparents wanted, right? No one watched the food, or the corporations, who messed with our food and how it's handled at every step of the way, and who kept all that potential tax money and used it to build factories overseas, and employee those people.

No one took notice, and things got worse. And they will continue to.
lrt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

i agree that there are more largeish people than seemed to be around a generation or two ago. Someone also mentioned the hpgh speed lifestyle of today. Agree that could contribute. Families ofuen have a catch as catch can pace when meals are involved, too. Growing up, my and most families I knew had (usually) a breakfast at table..at least the kids while a parent slugged coffe and got ready for work, a lunch at school, or at home during summer, and a definate dinner time..be at the table, no question to it. An after school snack, a before bed cookie or something, and that was pretty much it. Came to Chicago...great food, stuff I never heard of,having a straightup meat&potatoes momma. Loved the variety in Chicago, but found the portions large..and good. In truth, found more round folks too, the food maybe..so rich, varied and assesable. My honey gets on an Italian beef kick, or Ruebens, Polish...his front porch starts casting some shade! So...perhaps it is rather a combination of easily available,'good' food along with a busy dash n dine, grab whatever, life so many of us live..work, kids, kids in sports, second job, split shifts..i dont think there is one reason, but many. Oh, and, as mentioned, high fructous corn syrup in every dang thing..labels will surprise you. Mom sure never used it :)
lrt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

The Pirates of Lenox wrote:
Well let's see. There aren't as many jobs in the good old USA anymore, and a lot of those are office or even on your feet jobs, which don't burn that many calories. I don't see many people being employed to dig canals or work in the fields. Not that those jobs ever paid very much, mind you. And then there's the food.
It is cheaper to grow my veggies than it is to buy them. The prices at Jewel, Berkot, Wal-mart, etc are ridiculous, and from my experience, produce from wal-mart goes bad the next day.
And yes, It's The High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is basically a slow acting, accumulative toxin, at least for people. They even feed the cows corn! Cows did not evolve eating solely corn, they evolved eating GRASS!
And video games. I remember as a kid playing with toys, using my imagination, actually running around and doing things. Now that I'm an adult, who can't find a job, I spend most of my time job hunting, online mind you, and having to subsist on whatever food food stamps can buy me for a month, which is a lot of hot pockets and tea. I walk and exercise when I can, which is hard, cause I have to find a job right? And all the depression which comes from being unemployed and dirt poor, really kills my energy. Most days I wish I wouldn't wake up.
I'm 6'3 and went from 160lbs in 2005 to 270lbs now.
But heh, this is what everyone and their parents and grandparents wanted, right? No one watched the food, or the corporations, who messed with our food and how it's handled at every step of the way, and who kept all that potential tax money and used it to build factories overseas, and employee those people.
No one took notice, and things got worse. And they will continue to.
You nailed several other, important, reasons. Unemployment , inability to puchase 'proper' food, depression, fear of allowing children outside their yard...if they have one...for any number of awful but real reasons. Many folks unuse to puchasing and steadily cooking eating things like 10lb bags of rice, or beans..nutrional but not on our radar...even hamhocks are no longer the cheap way to flavor such. And, as you state, whole veggies for soup, more expensive than the 'old' day. Could feed 3men,.yself and a child for 3-4 days with one chicken, a few veggis, bisquick wnd some rice..all of us for a week with well planned one pot meals, 1980...maybe $35.00 a week. Not gyest .eals, but good. And cheap even for those years. Impossible now, of course, inflation plus groans about leftovers instead of 'thank. God for a full stomach. keep a good thought...take a walk especially pf you dont want to. It helps the mind if not the budget. Sorta forced mental health time.
secret id

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Unincorporated wrote:
<quoted text>So you're a fatass too? I am trying to make the point that EVEYWHERE I go there are an abundance of fat people. I mean really fat. I remember being a kid and one kid in class had a fat gene and was called all kinds of hurtful names. Now if a kid is skinny or a normal weight they are the Odd Thomas. What happened? Where is the self control? Video games? Corn syrup? Fast food ALL the time? What do you think? Not being in shape can cheat you out of an opportunity for a fun and productive life. Get off the couch. I'm going swimming.
I think it depends on how you interpret 'fat'. There are plenty of women who 'feel' fat or overweight and they are actually not even close to being so. Many people blame eating disorders on the media, giving false perceptions of body images.
But- I do agree that many many people are just lazy, or don't care. In the last 5 years, I have seen many male friends gain a lot of weight because they tend to drink more. They have been laid off of work or their hours have been reduced greatly.(again, this may be another issue altogether)
I don't think it can be pinned to one thing. Society needs to be more accepting. People need to get off their butts and take better care of themselves; but also love themselves for who they are and enjoy life.
I also, like APPALLED, will fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans one day!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Joliet Discussions

Search the Joliet Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min prince calyobamawaby 48,990
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 17 min newpoly 1,867
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 23 min nono 3,842
"the 80s called they want their foriegn policy ... 24 min Mike 8
Lazy Union Protesters 6 hr Really 34
Lifting America up by raising the wage floor 6 hr Really 60
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 7 hr SelfInterest63 6,077
•••
•••
•••
•••

Joliet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••