Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

hope the new mayor starts with making some more parking downtown and I mean by tearing down the "dreams" nightmare on State street. Its been too long and the jerk owner just bullied the old administration. Get the order of demolition soon!
LANDSLIDE LKPT

Lockport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

lets start wrote:
hope the new mayor starts with making some more parking downtown and I mean by tearing down the "dreams" nightmare on State street. Its been too long and the jerk owner just bullied the old administration. Get the order of demolition soon!
I would MUCH rather somebody tear ME down and AWAY from the computer!! I can't help my pathetic self! I drink alone, every day starting at noon and I'm SUCH a loser that I don't have any friends or nothing else to do but be a serial poster here on topix. Sad to say, this is my life ;(
lets start

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

so i guess 'landslide' likes burned out buildings in our downtown. f'n loser.
BARRY GOLDWATER

Lockport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

No need to tear anything down until plans for new water supply are implemented. New construction has to have sprinkler systems and the delivery system downtown cannot support such systems. One step at a time, in logical order or the entire process will fail. I don't have much hope because of the track record of growth here. The only things to change since 1980 are a tollway passing by and a few corporate stores coming in and demanding locations that tie up a one horse town. I hope, but I know these folks can only lead the great unwashed so far especially with their limited Will County upbringings.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

BARRY GOLDWATER wrote:
No need to tear anything down until plans for new water supply are implemented. New construction has to have sprinkler systems and the delivery system downtown cannot support such systems. One step at a time, in logical order or the entire process will fail. I don't have much hope because of the track record of growth here. The only things to change since 1980 are a tollway passing by and a few corporate stores coming in and demanding locations that tie up a one horse town. I hope, but I know these folks can only lead the great unwashed so far especially with their limited Will County upbringings.
Many individuals do not realize much as changed concerning codes and how those codes have come about and the implementation of those codes. Take Dreams for example, when that building was built there was no ordinance that required a sprinkler system to be installed. However, since the building was gutted the building needs to conform to all current life safety and building codes. Additionally, the building is going to have to made be ADA compliant. The demands from the sprinkler system alone are going to be more than what the current water mains can handle. That issue is going to have to be addressed first and foremost.

Now there maybe individuals out there saying "well why not just grandfather that building in and get that eyesore fixed". The issue with grandfathering any building in is two fold. First, there has already been a fatality in that building due to a fire. If a second fire were to occur and another fatality were to happen not only would the owner of the building most likely be facing criminal charges, the city would also be be liable for the death as well. Second, not repairing the water system because of grandfathering in the building does nothing for reducing the ISO rating of the city. Reduce the ISO rating of the city and make it more attractive for businesses to move or open here. Lower insurance cost equals more profit equals more expansion which equals more revenue for the city which equals lower taxes fro the residents.
lets start

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

so leave the eyesore there? knock it down, pave the lot.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

Parking is a major concern. But even if you tore down some of the burned out buildings and made a multi level parking lot, the fact remains, the infrastructure has to at least be in place before anything can be done. Even a parking structure needs infrastructure for support, which can not be handled right now. The main thing we need to make sure doesn't happen, is to have another study done. Regardless of which engineer firm wins a bid process, take all the studies done to date and come up with a plan.
lets start

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

multi level? I'd rather look at a burned out building than a multi level parking lot. no, just a paved parking lot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

lets start wrote:
multi level? I'd rather look at a burned out building than a multi level parking lot. no, just a paved parking lot.
See I was thinking mor on the lines of saving the front of dreams as historic and using the property as multilevel. Best of both worlds.
Just a thought.
lets start

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

not a bad idea

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

lets start wrote:
Let's start by first getting the water situation rectified. Once that is in place then the discussion towards parking can take place. However, if you want to discuss it now that's fine. There are more options with a multi story parking deck. First you can have a variation on a taxpayer. The first level can be commercial i.e; store's, offices, restaurants etc, for an example that works well see the parking deck in downtown Elmhurst at Schiller and Palmer Drive and have free parking above the businesses. The second option is to tie the parking into the metra lot. With covered parking and a reasonable rate of parking during the business day the revenue generated could cover the cost to maintain the deck.To dress up the deck you could use a fake facade on the front that faces State street that matches the downtown area. Point being don't dismiss a multi-deck structure out of hand, there is revenue in parking.
BARRY GOLDWATER

Lockport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

First water then create a need for parking. Downtown will never be some money making metropolis. What you must attempt is middle to upper middle class commuter condos with parking incorporated in the structure. You are building a downtown that will not scare away potential investors in the remainder of Lockport. If you will excuse the term...you are building a brand by changing the face and social makeup of the historic downtown. This is a gamble, but I see it as the only hope to create something big. Either make this move or pave it like this other myopic clown wants.
lockporter

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

I have lived in Lockport for more than 30 years and at least 25 years ago when my husband was looking to open a local business presence, he refused to even look in Lockport because of parking. At that time he suggested a multi-level parking structure was what was needed to foster business growth in the downtown. decades later the same problem exists. Maybe he should have built the garage instead of opening elsewhere LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Sure a multi level is a bit different. But also look at Lemont High School, due to space they built a multi level. Naturally for different reasons, but still works. Also including business's on one level or portion of level is also good, along with maybe condo's top floor etc.

this is just a idea. As we all know, water/sewer must first be fixed throughout Lockport, before can move forward with any ideas.
KT forums disappearing

Lockport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

They are being taken off altogether.
lets start

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

please, just a paved lot. there isn't that much room for business on the main level, parking above and condos above that. grand ideas, but not for this location.
BARRY GOLDWATER

Lockport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

The lot behind the Moose is wide open most all the time. If people wish to park, there is plenty of parking. The walk is minimal to any downtown business. You need people living downtown to bring business. You are still only going to have small bistros,convenience stores and maybe some shops like those that have survived the present blight. Parking will come with the new construction much designed like the Lemont lofts. You are never going to see a Naperville like downtown so put it out of your head. Water first, condos with storefront at ground level with parking in the structures. It will be a tough sell to our populace, but this is the downtown needed to change the Lockport identity. Go big or don't bother.
FIRST THINGS FIRST

Lockport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

How about paving/repairing all these horrid streets first!!?!?

The fact that the business Lockport has the MOST of is Auto Repair Places speaks volumes. Seems like everyone that has to use these atrocious streets on a regular basis is either going through tires or needing front-end work more often than not. Auto repair is not cheap....can we start suing the city for auto damage due to these disgusting roads we are forced to use??

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

FIRST THINGS FIRST wrote:
How about paving/repairing all these horrid streets first!!?!?
The fact that the business Lockport has the MOST of is Auto Repair Places speaks volumes. Seems like everyone that has to use these atrocious streets on a regular basis is either going through tires or needing front-end work more often than not. Auto repair is not cheap....can we start suing the city for auto damage due to these disgusting roads we are forced to use??
You are putting the horse before the cart. If you fix the roads first you are going to have to tear them up again to get to the water mains to replace or repair those. Wouldn't it make sense from a logistical and financial standpoint to replace the water mains and if need be sewer lines first?
Buggy

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Isn't the horse supposed to go before the cart? I think they might be putting the cart before the horse. Just sayin.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Joliet Forum right now

Search the Joliet Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Dunkin Donuts 27 min Blahblahblah 22
Go Cart racing around in Foxford 29 min Blahblahblah 16
President Clinton 2016 38 min Uncle Sam 499
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 1 hr Tea Bagger 511
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr Chicagobunny 3,794
IL Who do you support for Treasurer in Illinois in... (Oct '10) 4 hr Chicagobunny 113
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr jimtownhounddogsniffing 47,209
•••
•••
•••
•••

Joliet Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Joliet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance