The pros and cons on the Pro-Challenge

A handful of business owners along the route of the USA Pro Challenge as it passes through Estes Park in Stage Six of the bike race are concerned it will crater their businesses for that day costing them thousands of dollars. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jake

Denver, CO

#1 Aug 24, 2013
Of course the town is going to sugarcoat it! 30,000 - 50,000 people.....there would be 49,000 here ANYWAY!! They think this town is SO SPECIAL and will be on TV for 5 seconds. Thanks for screwing us over again downtown! But they don't care.
Trail Gazette worthless

Fort Collins, CO

#2 Aug 24, 2013
I met some visitors yesterday who were totally shocked to find out the town would essentially shut down for a good part of the day. And this morning - the morning of the race - nothing....NOTHING!...on the Frail Gazelle website. If you really want to stay caught up on the race and closures and the like, check out the Coloradoan web site.....
Trail Gazette finally

Fort Collins, CO

#3 Aug 24, 2013
puts up something. 7:45 on the day of the race - well, that will help people plan ahead, eh?
Ol Geezer

Brighton, CO

#4 Aug 24, 2013
My question to Mr. "Sugar Coat It" Lancaster is: Why would 30,000-50,000 people come up the mountain to Estes Park from Loveland or Fort Collins when they can stay down there and watch it? Any response Mr. L? I was out this morning for breakfast and there are no more people here than usual. Seems to me that after experiencing past events in EP that 30-50,000 people sure as hell would be filtering in by now. Good luck Frank and town officials with your ego's!
Devils Gulch

Fort Collins, CO

#5 Aug 24, 2013
LOL!! Listening to the NBC coverage at 12:45, and they are hardly mentioning Estes at all! The announcer keeps repeating that the race is heading up to Devil's Gulch and then back down to Loveland and Ft. Collins. So much for all the free publicity!
Business owner

Denver, CO

#6 Aug 24, 2013
I say this, when drawing your maps of street closures please make sure they are Accurate!!!! A complete waste of a good business day in Estes Park
Jesse

Denver, CO

#7 Aug 24, 2013
I think there were maybe 400 people downtown....not 40,000! BS town admin people. Frank L needs to resign....or be FIRED.
Ol Geezer

Brighton, CO

#8 Aug 24, 2013
Devils Gulch wrote:
LOL!! Listening to the NBC coverage at 12:45, and they are hardly mentioning Estes at all! The announcer keeps repeating that the race is heading up to Devil's Gulch and then back down to Loveland and Ft. Collins. So much for all the free publicity!
You are 100% correct. And did you notice the announcers were calling The Big Thompson the Cache de Poudre?
tstreet

United States

#9 Aug 24, 2013
It would appear to me as well that the town officials grossly overestimated the number of additional visitors to Estes Park. Frankly, I am a bit surprised.

Anyway, this race demonstrates that the Town can shut down Elkhorn Avenue when they think money is involved. And I visited downtown in part just to experience the pleasure of seeing Elkhorn Avenue closed down.

My guess is that EP will not be hosting this race in the future.

And one little secret. Watching a bike race is a joke as you get to see the racers for about 15 seconds.
unmitigated

United States

#10 Aug 24, 2013
unprecedented disaster. To turn Estes Park on a summer saturday into a ghost town is grounds for getting rid of the town adminis-traitor and any other town board members (Eric Ericson) who blindly supported this and get hard from the rush of 10 seconds of our economy down the drain hopefully the next town adminis-traitor likes tiddly-winks because at least we won't have to mortgage the whole next year's road budget when the tiddly winks champions come to down and maybe stay longer than 10 seconds raping our town
There were 100 people in

United States

#11 Aug 24, 2013
Glen Haven. Lucky if there were 1000 people in downtown Estes Park. I've seen more people at a Catholic Church pancake ffeed than I saw downtown today. Mayor was walking around fuming. Guess those 50,000 people they promised NBC included 49,000 ghosts at the Stanley.

Biggest snow job ever.

Fire the whole lot of them.
Total farce

Estes Park, CO

#12 Aug 24, 2013
is putting the Saturday race mildly! Tens of thousands of dollars were lost as a result of one extremely bad decision by our town manager. Who is going to reimburse all of the small business that lost as much as ten percent of their summer budget. The town manager should be fired immediately and several trustees that backed the race be recalled.
Also, the TV coverage was horrid, the announcer never even knew where he was and commercials on constantly as they went through Estes. Why to go inept town leaders.
Hallette Smyth

Seattle, WA

#13 Aug 24, 2013
I watched the Pro Challenge on TV today from Seattle, WA. It was great to see Estes Park on national television. I was so happy to see such an amazing town highlighted during the race. I even heard one commentator mention that this was the most beautiful location in the race, if not Colorado. If businesses were hit for an hour or two, in the long run, it seems like it will be worth it. The national coverage of the town was incredible. I can't wait to visit Estes Park again soon!
ColoradoMtnDiva

Aurora, CO

#14 Aug 25, 2013
EPIC FAIL.......
What a disaster

Loveland, CO

#15 Aug 25, 2013
Every downtown business I have spoken with took a financial hit of about 80 percent over what they would have done on a normal business day, Saturday, in August, a week before labor day, in just 4 merchants I spoke with, the numbers added up to about a $10,000 drop compared to the average they usually did.
For one, WHY were all the roads closed at 9 a.m. when the riders didn't even get into town until , what, 1 p.m.? The signs at the bottom of the canyons saying that roads in Estes would be closed at 9, even if someone was going to head up, knowing the schedule and timing of the race, they couldn't even get here if they wanted too!
If the roads had been closed at, say, even 11, it would have given people time to get into town, then be here unable to move for a couple hours, in downtown, still shopping, still eating, even the restaurants got financially KILLED. I heard people in the Hotels complaining because they couldn't leave the places they were staying.
I'd like to think a lesson will be learned, but we all know there won't be.
The mayor was fuming?
Try owning a business that lost a huge chunk of money on top of the extra losses of paying all the help to man the stores for the 50,000 people that, oh right, they couldn't get here.
Someone needs to resign or get fired. WOW, ineptitude at it's height.
And for sure

Loveland, CO

#16 Aug 25, 2013
Hallette Smyth wrote:
I watched the Pro Challenge on TV today from Seattle, WA. It was great to see Estes Park on national television. I was so happy to see such an amazing town highlighted during the race. I even heard one commentator mention that this was the most beautiful location in the race, if not Colorado. If businesses were hit for an hour or two, in the long run, it seems like it will be worth it. The national coverage of the town was incredible. I can't wait to visit Estes Park again soon!
Your visit will compensate for the 10's of thousands of dollars for the business owners, and tax revenue lost on this fiasco, not to mention the cost to the town for porta pottys, police personnel, some getting paid overtime, trash disposal, city workers putting out cones, signs, cleanup.
I wonder what the cost for the town, meaning we, the taxpayers put up for this financial train wreck?
Trial by fire

Loveland, CO

#17 Aug 25, 2013
An event of this magnitude, and the complete failure in the management by Frank L, the town trustees, and just the god awful decision to handle this the way it was, just shines a huge, giant, bright, spotlight on the incompetent, inept town board, and their inability to make good decisions, and yes even the "fuming" mayor.
How does a cast of such incompetent leadership figures compensate for the staggering losses incurred by all these business owners and disappointed citizens?
HellonWheels

Denver, CO

#18 Aug 25, 2013
I thought it was funny that the shop owner listed multiple instances where his business was disrupted for extended periods of time presumably for over two hours. Yet when the former president George H. W. Bush came to town it just killed him for the two hours that the street was shut down. I think we just need to figure out a way to blame this all on him too. Everything else wrong in this world is his fault right?
Mostly cons for sure

United States

#19 Aug 25, 2013
Was following this from Philly, and heard from a race official friend of mine that EP was the "white whale" that they brought down - translation, EP was getting screwed on top of paying big bucks and everyone knew it.

Poor EP.
Richard Tekulve

Denver, CO

#20 Aug 26, 2013
This is for all of you business people who got "killed" by the lack of business for several hours on the 24th - look at the bright side will ya? We finally got many of our roads patched and painted. If that's what it takes to maintain our roads around here then let's have more of these national coverage events!
What's good for Estes Park is good for all of us in the long run.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tiny, Nostalgic, Valentine Diner for Sale in Do... Mar 14 unkonate 1
News Law enforcement conflicts still exist with lega... (Jan '14) Mar 11 Mike 3
Debate: Marijuana - Loveland, CO (Aug '10) Mar 8 Susan 10
News Northern Colorado Continues to Grow; But What B... Feb '15 Jim Moz 2
Local Politics Do you approve of John Vazquez as Mayor? Feb '15 Jim Moz 3
News Researchers study aftershocks of Fox Creek eart... Feb '15 Val 1
Who is tis guy David Reiman (Aug '14) Aug '14 Happy8670 2
Johnstown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web