X Sheriff

Waterloo, IA

#81 Nov 15, 2011
Souns like Dennis Presley. I got beat so now I blame the guy that beat me.
Seriously

Saint Ann, MO

#82 Nov 15, 2011
X Sheriff wrote:
Souns like Dennis Presley. I got beat so now I blame the guy that beat me.
I agree! Bennie Vick is doing a fine job. Don't be blaming JC bullshit on him.
Amanda

United States

#83 Nov 16, 2011
jen wrote:
<quoted text>
are you a fire fighter ? i am sure you are not or you would not say that you have no idea how hard that job is and if you think you can do it better then by all means lets see it
I can tell you for a fact Mr. Burton took that lawn chair from the porch of that home over within minutes after he got there. I guess the drive over wore him out, huh? There is absolutely nothing right about the 'leader' of a fire dept. taking a chair from a burning home to sit in the yard. Nothing.
TLRJc

Florissant, MO

#84 Nov 16, 2011
Amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you for a fact Mr. Burton took that lawn chair from the porch of that home over within minutes after he got there. I guess the drive over wore him out, huh? There is absolutely nothing right about the 'leader' of a fire dept. taking a chair from a burning home to sit in the yard. Nothing.
I saw the video of the fire. It wasn't him, it was a Herrin fireman.
sheep

Saint Francis, MN

#85 Nov 17, 2011
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text> I agree! Bennie Vick is doing a fine job. Don't be blaming JC bullshit on him.
If he weren't linked so close to a council member, I might agree that he wasn't part of the problem.
Wow Oh Wow

Waterloo, IA

#86 Nov 17, 2011
Man, you people really try and stretch things.
Glass houses

Herrin, IL

#87 Nov 22, 2011
Amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
HMM I can tell YOU for a fact that was not Chief Burton in the chair the picture from channel 3 news proves that. Maybe you were too busy listening to the hero wanna be about how he kicked the door down to ventilate the fire and make sure it was spreading to know what was going on!
durps

United States

#88 Nov 23, 2011
Really wrote:
You want to talk about the credibility of our sheriff. This man has absolutly no clue on whats going on. Go to the 911 board meeting and see for yourself. I mean the man asked for more money to pay for more deputys to cover johnston city when they get rid of their police department. Seriously? What a dumbass!
Why wouldnt he? That shit town run by dumbasses cant take care of itself. Why should the county have to foot the bill for extra time and money soent there?
justmeinjc

United States

#89 Jan 22, 2012
Channel 6 news commented tonight that the JCFD was delayed getting to the fire this morning at Ferris Motel. I wonder why? I know for a fact that at least 1 of the occupants of the room where fire started was air lifted to St. Louis. How long is the council gonna sit around doing nothing while everyone's life is in danger?? JC needs the full time FD and PD back immediately! This council is a joke just like the previous one.
Light in the loafers

Waterloo, IA

#90 Jan 22, 2012
At least Tom wasn't on tv in a chair at this fire like the last one.
Also heard he was called out by the mayor (don't know which one, Mitchell, or Boyd) for being on tv and not letting Mitchell get on.
Wingtips

Waterloo, IA

#91 Jan 23, 2012
Above post hit the nail on the head.
BULL CRAP

Pevely, MO

#92 Jan 23, 2012
People are gonna bitch no matter who is on the council or who is the mayor or who is the fire chief. Tom was not sitting in a chair at that fire, I saw the video. Some of you people are real idiots.
justmeinjc

United States

#93 Jan 23, 2012
I don't personally give a rat's ass who sits in a chair and who stands up. But one thing is for sure, if a council member's family or loved one is ever injured or killed in a fire, then things will change. Until then, they don't care the danger they are putting the tax papers of JC in.
justmeinjc

United States

#94 Jan 23, 2012
OOPS! Meant to say taxpayers!
Taking igt up the shoot

Herrin, IL

#95 Feb 2, 2012
Has anyone received their insurance bill now that the fire ratings changed?
Also, how about the outlandish water bill that everyone got Wednesday?
Insurance agents get more money when rates go up and mayor and city council gets the money when water rates goes up.
What does the citizens of Johnston City get?
They get it shoved up.
Wake up people and tell these elected officials enough is enought!
Yikes

United States

#96 Feb 2, 2012
Well, the FBI are in Johnston City taking statements from residents about past water bills. We are getting closer to finding out who the thief/thieves are or do we already know?
just curious

United States

#97 Feb 2, 2012
Just wondering how the Mayor and city council members get more money when the water rates go up?
Life long resident of JC

Herrin, IL

#98 Feb 15, 2012
Neither I, nor anyone in my family, or my friends or neighbors has ever worked in any capacity for the city of Johnston City, Illinois. Having said that:
We have to look past the immediate savings accomplished by the elimination of the paid Fire Department. The meager earnings and benefits costs of a few firemen did not force this community’s finances into ruins. Yet they and their families are the ones that have to suffer for this tragedy. The wages that they earned are no longer being returned to the community through sales and taxes. And a goodly portion of those wages is now being sent to a third party company, which is not based in our city, to provide an ambulance service. The rest of the work that was performed by our fire department is now being handled by volunteers. While we may be able to commend these individuals for their spirit of community service, we cannot overlook the fact that they are replacing laid off workers, regardless of their reasons for doing so. Anywhere else in the world that this takes place, the replacement workers are called scabs and despised. Just as upset as we would all be if we were laid off and a volunteer came in and performed our job duties, we should feel the same way for the firemen who have had this happen to them.
We have residents whose property insurance rates have doubled because we now have a volunteer fire department. While mine has not doubled, it has increased.
While I greatly respect and regard our mayor and have no issues with any of our council members, and feel that they are starting to make a difference, I really believe they missed the mark on this issue.
JC Life

Marion, IL

#99 Feb 16, 2012
This is just part of life , I commend the volunteers for anything that is done in JC to help out. The payroll on the FD was obviously abused by overtime, Work comp law suits & more . Its nobodys fault but the ones that abused it.. Just to let you know I am just a citizen not employed by the city nor able to volunteer. Thank You & Good Day
Old McDonald

Marion, IL

#100 Feb 16, 2012
Only thing abused was the power of Mayors Boyd and Mitchell.
Boyd makes more money off higher insurance rates and Mitchell pays back his enemies in the fire dept.
They are moving to do away with the police dept next.
Hearing the comments at Tuesday's meeting from Mayor Boyd about some part time cops writing tickets, and others not and solving that problem shows all they care about is revenue.
Protecting the town is the last thing on this bunches agenda.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnston City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 17 min D-U-H 50,056
Let me clarify 2 hr Your nasty 4
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr LieutenantGov 4,053
Vehicle Break Ins Tue jcresident 12
JCHS Softball Program (Apr '12) Tue star 56
Maranda Sink (Jan '13) Sep 29 Hah 19
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Sep 29 LOL at Gomer Pyle 78
Johnston City Dating
Find my Match

Johnston City Jobs

Johnston City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Johnston City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Johnston City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]