JC new football and softball fields.
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
teacher

Marion, IL

#62 Aug 3, 2012
By continually using the word "welfare" in obvious attempt to insult, you show you don't understand public school funding.

I can pretty much predict your defense of that word, but let me ask you this. Doesn't a person making $150,000 per year year living in Williamson county deserve comparable education for their children as a person drawing a similar salary in DuPage county?
outrage

Kankakee, IL

#63 Aug 3, 2012
Not using the word welfare to insult, just calling it was it is, based on the $5M sports complex, apparently you guys aren't too proud to keep your hand out for more of that welfare..

School districts aren't operated on a person by person basis, its based on the school district as a whole. Fairness would be if ALL school districts rec'd the sane amount of state aid per student

Is it fair that your district is getting about $5900 per student in state and federal aid while my district is getting around $2400? If we rec'd as much as your district, that would give us an extra $8M per year!!!! Yet its your district thats spending $5M on athletic fields??
In the know

Carterville, IL

#64 Aug 3, 2012
Hometown girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! And by the way, nice language Indian Softball Player. You're a real lady!
Sorry this is a reply to the person saying football pays for itself.
May I suggest that you go to the unit office and ask for the football budget. Then ask for what revenue it bring in. By the way this is all public information and available to you.But before you do that let me ask you one question. Do you know how much it costs the school to outfit one football player ? We will have 50 players. I will answer it for you. Helmet $150, pads $100,shoes $80, 2 sets of uniforms $150.These are conservative numbers. Total $480 X 50=$24,000 per year.(granted not all new every year) Janitor to cut field for 8 months at 3 hours per $?. Janitor to line field for 4-5 home games 3 hours min at $15 per hour.Plus six referees at each home game at $80-100 each.Gateworker get paid.2 administrators full time at game.Security and rescue are not free. 4 paid coaches ? If we drew 1000 paying fans at $5 each it would still not begin to pay for itself. I am not complaining about football ,I love it, but don't say it pays for itself. Not even close. Boys basketball (in good years only and there have'nt been any in years)probably loses less money than any sport.Track,baseball and softball and volleyball are the cheapest but bring in very little revenue
Softball not education

Herrin, IL

#65 Aug 14, 2012
Ask Smiley, Thomas and Hutchison the difference between a noun and a verb.
Their reply is "it's in the bat. A verb bat is heavier than a noun bat."
J Johnson

Herrin, IL

#66 Aug 31, 2012
This sports complex has been built. It is a source of pride for this small community. Whether or not everyone agrees if the money was appropriately allocated, is water under the bridge. Unfortunately we do have many socioeconomic challenges including poverty and crime. Luckily we have an extremely high level of participation in sports in this town. Statistically, there is a direct relationship between those children that participate in sports and higher education. That is critical to improving the conditions of this town. We need to continue to encourage participation, show a community spirit and work to ensure our children are educated to begin the cycle of improvement. I love our town and am proud of the support our softball, track and football programs recieve from our community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnston City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are Democrats moving to a Republican run town? 58 min The painting on t... 28
Prayers for the U.S 1 hr Sad 1
Jeromy Bocook (May '16) 2 hr It is time 14
how many people have died at the pin oak motel ... (Jul '11) 5 hr Duh 25
Vision for JC Aug 16 JC press 29
Kyle hearn Aug 15 Johnny big cat 3
Anybody tried Country Satellite Internet Provider? Aug 15 Robbie 1

Johnston City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnston City Mortgages