Tri Cities Baptist Church

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
why

Nashville, TN

#1 Dec 1, 2011
Why are the people at this church so arrogant? it is hard to find anyone to speak to you. They seem to care less if you come or not. By looking at what they pay the personnel, you would think they would try to be a little nicer to the people. Have you ever had a visit or call from them? I haven't.
not sure

Elizabethton, TN

#2 Dec 1, 2011
but my brother in law goes there and we have visited a couple times. Never was impressed. However, it's been a few years back with the preacher who resigned due to having an affair or something.. TO ME the church seemed to care more about the money and the attendance rather than the people and the cause.

At one of the Christmas plays the pastor was trying to sell a book and referred to the congregation as customers, he slipped up and then said something to cover his tracks.

All in all my brother in law goes there and they are the most narrow minded people I've met, so that being said, not the church for me, but I guess everyone's different.
well

Nashville, TN

#3 Dec 1, 2011
You're right, I have went several times and have spoken to numerous people. They will look at you and turn their heads. Also, whats with the secret service hear pieces. They have a bunch of guys running around like they are working for the F.B.I. I know you have to be carefull now but I think they may be going a little overboard.
Interested to know

Chatsworth, GA

#4 Dec 5, 2011
Hmmmm... Just wondering. I go to church there. Exactly how is it that you know what they pay their personnel?? I certainly don't and have never seen it.
lol

Elizabethton, TN

#5 Dec 5, 2011
Interested to know wrote:
Hmmmm... Just wondering. I go to church there. Exactly how is it that you know what they pay their personnel?? I certainly don't and have never seen it.
That should tell you something, almost all churches disclose what the personnel make, along with monthly budgets etc. If they don't they should tell if asked. If they're not telling you perhaps you should ask where the money is going?
hmmmm..
wondering

Nashville, TN

#6 Dec 5, 2011
Seems like they keep hiring more people. What are they all doing all day? What ever happened to the old days when people put their money in the plate? I see on their website that you can pay by credit card or paypal. Wow, we sure have come a long way. Now these churches are trying to sell what Jesus gave for free.
Interested to know

Nashville, TN

#7 Dec 6, 2011
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
That should tell you something, almost all churches disclose what the personnel make, along with monthly budgets etc. If they don't they should tell if asked. If they're not telling you perhaps you should ask where the money is going?
hmmmm..
Really? I've been a member of 5 churches in my lifetime (I'm 46). Not one disclosed publicly the salary of all its staff. I'm not really all that concerned about the salary of their staff, or for that money where the money is going. I'm much more concerned about whether the Pastor is fulfilling his main duty - the preaching of the full counsel of God, and prayer. Pastor Mike gets two thumbs up. As long as the Pastor is living up to that standard, and there is accountability within the staff, I'm not too worried about it. Besides, whose money is it really anyways?
Frankly, complaining publicly about God's church and His people says more about the person making the complaint than it does about the church. When you slander the church, you slander Him. Obviously the person making the original complaint has a low regard for the God of the church.
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

#8 Dec 6, 2011
<quoted text>
Really? I've been a member of 5 churches in my lifetime (I'm 46). Not one disclosed publicly the salary of all its staff. I'm not really all that concerned about the salary of their staff, or for that money where the money is going. I'm much more concerned about whether the Pastor is fulfilling his main duty - the preaching of the full counsel of God, and prayer. Pastor Mike gets two thumbs up. As long as the Pastor is living up to that standard, and there is accountability within the staff, I'm not too worried about it. Besides, whose money is it really anyways?
Frankly, complaining publicly about God's church and His people says more about the person making the complaint than it does about the church. When you slander the church, you slander Him. Obviously the person making the original complaint has a low regard for the God of the church.
WRONG!!! The Church itself is just a building...it is what is in the hearts and minds of the people who attend the Church that matters most!
Interested to know

Nashville, TN

#9 Dec 6, 2011
Blank wrote:
<quoted text>WRONG!!! The Church itself is just a building...it is what is in the hearts and minds of the people who attend the Church that matters most!
I always thought it was the glory of God that mattered most.
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

#10 Dec 6, 2011
<quoted text>
I always thought it was the glory of God that mattered most.
The hearts and minds reflect God. There are so many denominations though that agreement is virtually impossible at the moment. That is why i often classify myself as a Unitarian, the belief in :unity through diversity" and that "God speaks to each of us differently." Just my opinion.....
bothered

Nashville, TN

#11 Dec 6, 2011
<quoted text>
I think it is perfectly acceptible for a person going to church, to come out and feel accepted and cared about. You shouldn't leave church feeling alone and depressed. That seems to be what is happening to some of the people in this topic.
watcher

Nashville, TN

#12 Dec 18, 2011
I see that TCBC is not have a service on Christmas Day. Is it just me, or does anyone else think this would be a real good day to have church? I know people are busy and some are on vacation, but it appears that the focus has been lost. I think they have taken their eye off the ball, or should I say "CROSS". Maybe it's just me, but I think celebrating Christs' birthday is the reason we celebrate "CHRIST"mas. Maybe some people need to open their eyes!!
OldmanJenkins

Johnson City, TN

#13 Dec 18, 2011
why wrote:
Why are the people at this church so arrogant? it is hard to find anyone to speak to you. They seem to care less if you come or not. By looking at what they pay the personnel, you would think they would try to be a little nicer to the people. Have you ever had a visit or call from them? I haven't.
Is anybody twisting your arm to go there? I know some churches seem haughty, but they are not dragging anyone to the altar. If you don't like it there, don't go. I try to pay heed to the old addage, "If you find the perfect church, don't go there, you will ruin it."
churchless

Nashville, TN

#14 Dec 19, 2011
OldmanJenkins wrote:
<quoted text>Is anybody twisting your arm to go there? I know some churches seem haughty, but they are not dragging anyone to the altar. If you don't like it there, don't go. I try to pay heed to the old addage, "If you find the perfect church, don't go there, you will ruin it."
What a caring and compassoniate attitude. No wonder so many people are leary of churches now. With that attitude, it makes me want to jump in the car and go.
Interested to know

Nashville, TN

#15 Dec 23, 2011
watcher wrote:
I see that TCBC is not have a service on Christmas Day. Is it just me, or does anyone else think this would be a real good day to have church? I know people are busy and some are on vacation, but it appears that the focus has been lost. I think they have taken their eye off the ball, or should I say "CROSS". Maybe it's just me, but I think celebrating Christs' birthday is the reason we celebrate "CHRIST"mas. Maybe some people need to open their eyes!!
Wow. Just wow. So, let me see if I can get this straight. You think that the church has lost its "focus" because the leadership decides to hold one morning service (out of 52 morning services in the year) on the night before its regular Sunday morning worship time. So.. they reschedule 1 out 52 morning services, and have it occur roughly 14 hours ahead of schedule, and somehow their "focus" has been lost and we "need to open [our] eyes". Really? Really?? Come on ... is this the best you can do? What an absolutely pathetic attempt to dishonor the bride of Christ. Let me go back and repeat my 12/6 comment, if I may:

"Frankly, complaining publicly about God's church and His people says more about the person making the complaint than it does about the church. When you slander the church, you slander Him. Obviously the person making the original complaint has a low regard for the God of the church."

Just curious, by the way since you seem so intent on complaining about not having church on Christmas. Can you give any examples of the early church ever meeting together to celebrate Christ's birth?
FriendofDog

United States

#16 Dec 23, 2011
I find it very disturbing that a Baptist church doesn't have a church service on Sunday morning- the day we celebrate Christ's birth... Wow---weird.
who cares

Nashville, TN

#17 Dec 23, 2011
<quoted text>
Wow. Just wow. So, let me see if I can get this straight. You think that the church has lost its "focus" because the leadership decides to hold one morning service (out of 52 morning services in the year) on the night before its regular Sunday morning worship time. So.. they reschedule 1 out 52 morning services, and have it occur roughly 14 hours ahead of schedule, and somehow their "focus" has been lost and we "need to open [our] eyes". Really? Really?? Come on ... is this the best you can do? What an absolutely pathetic attempt to dishonor the bride of Christ. Let me go back and repeat my 12/6 comment, if I may:
"Frankly, complaining publicly about God's church and His people says more about the person making the complaint than it does about the church. When you slander the church, you slander Him. Obviously the person making the original complaint has a low regard for the God of the church."
Just curious, by the way since you seem so intent on complaining about not having church on Christmas. Can you give any examples of the early church ever meeting together to celebrate Christ's birth?
Who cares. sounds like some more of those good old church people in the bible belt. Always judging and fussing. I wonder if they ever tried encourging and visiting.
how about

Nashville, TN

#19 Feb 15, 2012
Whats with the new short Sunday handouts? Are they trying to save paper?
Well then

Johnson City, TN

#20 Feb 16, 2012
We were going to visit, although I've heard that they aren't very friendly unless you are Just Like Them, but now I don't have to, because Interested to Know has proven it. You won't get zapped by a lightening bolt for questioning a church, and the church is not God, and TCB certainly isn't God. I personally feel that questioning religious authority is a good thing, but that's just because Jesus did it all the time, but Interested might be right instead.

I have also never been to a church that did not have their finances public. I do know that Baptist churches usually disclose them in boring business meetings though, so of you skipped those you might not know, but I thought this was easy for everyone to get.
another view

Nashville, TN

#21 Feb 16, 2012
It appears that the main focus of this church is financial. If don't believe it just pull up their website and see what they discuss most on it. Also,
check Hope Baptist Church in Las Vegas website. This is where the current Tri-Cities pastor came from. See if you notice similarities between the churches concerning money. On The Hope Church website look under giving, it states that you can donate your house, cars, bonds, etc. to the church? Is this the future of TCBC?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is it right? 2 hr Goshdarnit 26
New Life Praise & Worship in Piney Flats 4 hr Stacy K 7
Updated JC Wife video 5 hr TalleyHo 74
Review: Car Pros TN (May '14) 8 hr Benny 15
Crockett's New Coach 10 hr Crockett Alum 5
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 13 hr Tanya 1,638
Statewide Open Carry Crazy Sun Roy Rogers 4

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance