CULT CONVENTIONS Welcomed by Johnson ...

CULT CONVENTIONS Welcomed by Johnson City Officials

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Redmond, WA

#1 Jun 6, 2012
This weekend the Watchtower Cult of Jehovah's Witnesses will hold its second 3-day District Convention at Freedom Hall Civic Center. FHCC hosted the first Cult District Convention last weekend.

In addition to the multiple summertime "District Conventions" held annually at Freedom Hall Civic Center since the mid-1990s, the Watchtower Cult also uses FHCC for multiple 2-day "Circuit Assemblies" and 1-day "Special Assembies" held each Spring and Fall.

At some point, after 16 years of observing Jehovah's Witnesses from Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina traveling long distances to Johnson City, some curious TAXPAYERS may eventually start to wonder why the Watchtower Cult holds its Conventions in Johnson City rather than in locations closer to and more convenient for Cult members?

Could it be because there is some FINANCIAL INCENTIVE for the Watchtower Cult to hold conventions in Johnson City?

Are Johnson City Officials GIVING the WatchTower Cult RENT SUBSIDIES that some other cities have refused to give to the Watchtower Cult?

Are Johnson City Officials KICKING BACK to the WatchTower Cult thousands of dollars of CASH from collected Motel Taxes -- something that some other cities have refused to do?

Isn't it about time that Johnson City Officials PUBLICLY DISCLOSE to VOTERS and TAXAYERS the full and complete terms of the DEAL which it has cut with the Convention Department at the Watchtower Cult's International Headquarters in Brooklyn, New York?
Curious

Redmond, WA

#2 Jun 6, 2012
I'm also curious to know IF Johnson City Government Officials, officials at the Johnson City Convention & Visitors Bureau, and possibly even Government Officials from the three surrounding County Governments are even aware of what THEIR CULT BUDDIES say about them when the Cult is not lobbying them for GOVERNMENT FUNDING?

Here is what the Watchtower Cult teaches about the U.S. Government and government officials:

In the mid 1930s, the Watch Tower Society started forbidding Jehovah's Witnesses to salute the American Flag, or recite the Pledge Of Allegiance, or stand for the playing of the National Anthem, or engage in any other patriotic activity. Jehovah's Witnesses were taught to tell the news media, courts, and other outsiders that the American Flag is a false idol, and doing any of the aforementioned activities is performing "worship" to a false idol. This "public relations" reasoning is actually the LEAST of all the reasons that Jehovah's Witnesses refuse to engage in any patriotic or political activities. This secondary, ancillary reasoning was developed because the WatchTower Society did not dare to have its Jehovah's Witness members running around repeating for the news media and courtroom judges the PRIMARY doctrine on this subject, which would outrage the American public.

What Jehovah's Witnesses intentionally do NOT publically explain to non-JWs is that the Watch Tower Society teaches Jehovah's Witnesses that the Government of the United States is governing ILLEGITIMATELY. The Watch Tower Society teaches that the Government of the United States is under the control of Satan the Devil as his partner in Satan's universal rebellion against GOD. The Watch Tower Society teaches that GOD granted humans the authority to rule the earth only for a period of 2520 years -- starting in 607 B.C. and ending in October, 1914 A.D.  The Watch Tower Society teaches that in October, 1914, the authority to rule the earth reverted back to GOD, and that He then formed a heavenly government to rule the earth -- with Jesus Christ as King. The Watch Tower Society teaches that in 1919 that Jesus Christ selected the Watch Tower Society as his sole earthly representative of that heavenly government.  The Watch Tower Society teaches that the Government of the United States (as well as all other governments), is its' enemy, because it has failed to surrender governmental power that rightfully belongs to the Watch Tower Society.

These are the ACTUAL reasons that the Watch Tower Society forbids its Jehovah's Witness members to support the government of the United States -- no voting, no holding political office, no professing citizen loyalty via the Pledge of Allegiance or standing for the National Anthem, no joining the military to protect the United States, etc.  Jehovah's Witnesses do not profess to be "pacifists".  They claim to be "neutrals".  JWs consider themselves to be "citizens" of the government supposedly formed in heaven in 1919, and that they are only "resident aliens" of the United States. The Watch Tower Society teaches that Armageddon will occur "soon", and at the Battle of Armageddon, that Jesus Christ and his heavenly armies will destroy the armies and governments of the United States, and of all other countries -- including all people who did not convert to the Jehovah's Witnesses. Jehovah's Witnesses look forward to the day when they will rule the planet.

Currently, the Watch Tower Society tells JWs not to forcefully oppose the United States, or other governments.  Given their fanatical beliefs as to what they have to gain, one can only speculate what would happen if the Watch Tower Society ever told JWs otherwise.
JCD

Nashville, TN

#3 Jun 6, 2012
Ok so maybe they have some funky notions about things, but then again most religions do too. The USA has freedom of religion for all not just the ones who believe what you do.

Their money spends like anyone elses. While they're here in town they are contributing to our local economy by buying gas, food, lodging, and whatever else they see that they like. So even if they're getting some kickback I'm betting JC is coming out ahead financially. Giving financial incentives is the norm when trying to entice business to an area so why not use the same tactic for other things to bring in revenue, it's not like this area can't use all the money it can get.
Total Equality

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jun 6, 2012
JCD wrote:
Ok so maybe they have some funky notions about things, but then again most religions do too. The USA has freedom of religion for all not just the ones who believe what you do.
Their money spends like anyone elses. While they're here in town they are contributing to our local economy by buying gas, food, lodging, and whatever else they see that they like. So even if they're getting some kickback I'm betting JC is coming out ahead financially. Giving financial incentives is the norm when trying to entice business to an area so why not use the same tactic for other things to bring in revenue, it's not like this area can't use all the money it can get.
I am in agreement with your post & the probable outlook that the local government has taken into account when allowing this group to congregate in Johnson City. However, I would like to point out that Marilyn Manson & Rob Zombie were not allowed to perform at Freedom Hall because the town was afraid of the "cult like atmosphere" that would be created if such a venue was allowed. I am more than positive that the city of Johnson City would obtain much more revenue from this type of activity than with a J.W. convention. The U.S.A. does indeed have freedom of religion, and I totally support this right. That being said, why were Manson & Rob Zombie run out of town & why did the town pass up such an opportunity to rake in the revenue? We all know that their types of shows are just acts for notoriety anyway, no harm intended. The rationale should fall on both sides of the fence, and J.W.'s believe much, much differently than the majority of society does in Johnson City.
JCD

Nashville, TN

#5 Jun 6, 2012
Total Equality wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in agreement with your post & the probable outlook that the local government has taken into account when allowing this group to congregate in Johnson City. However, I would like to point out that Marilyn Manson & Rob Zombie were not allowed to perform at Freedom Hall because the town was afraid of the "cult like atmosphere" that would be created if such a venue was allowed. I am more than positive that the city of Johnson City would obtain much more revenue from this type of activity than with a J.W. convention. The U.S.A. does indeed have freedom of religion, and I totally support this right. That being said, why were Manson & Rob Zombie run out of town & why did the town pass up such an opportunity to rake in the revenue? We all know that their types of shows are just acts for notoriety anyway, no harm intended. The rationale should fall on both sides of the fence, and J.W.'s believe much, much differently than the majority of society does in Johnson City.
You raise a good question to which I don't have an answer. I will say I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Rob Zombie or Marilyn Manson playing a show in town. It's actually quite cool to see a national band in a smaller venue, the shows are more personal then at the monster arenas like MSG, Greensboro Coliseum, or even the old Blockbuster Pavilion.
dumb

Knoxville, TN

#6 Jun 6, 2012
all religions are "cults" of some form. what's the big deal about this one? i love how if christians don't agree with a group of people's beliefs and think they are "weird" then they are a cult! yet, we're supposed to believe that a man walked on water, a sea parted, and two of every animal jumped on a ship? yeah....those are all very normal, logical thoughts. find something else to gripe about....like churches getting tax breaks at practically every establishment of any kind!
Total Equality

Johnson City, TN

#7 Jun 6, 2012
dumb wrote:
all religions are "cults" of some form. what's the big deal about this one? i love how if christians don't agree with a group of people's beliefs and think they are "weird" then they are a cult! yet, we're supposed to believe that a man walked on water, a sea parted, and two of every animal jumped on a ship? yeah....those are all very normal, logical thoughts. find something else to gripe about....like churches getting tax breaks at practically every establishment of any kind!
As has been stated in previous posts: In the U.S.A., everybody has the freedom to believe in whatever religion that he/she wishes. You also have the freedom to not believe in anything, that is your choice. If you are an atheist, then be atheist because that is your right & your belief. However, choose for yourself & get away from what offends you the most: pushing your beliefs on everybody else. What seems illogical to you, may appear to be completely logical to another. You also appear to be the one gripping about a thorn in your side as the other comments were well thought out & well stated. If you read my comment, then you would totally understand that I was attempting to play both sides of the discussion.
help us

Murfreesboro, TN

#8 Jun 6, 2012
dumb wrote:
Agreed...think Curious is off his meds. But there should be NO DANCING OR ROCK MUSIC AS IT IS EVILLLLL!!!!(cue music from Footloose)
Snake Eyes

Myrtle Beach, SC

#9 Jun 6, 2012
dumb wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember the OP stating or implying that he was or was not a Christian. It appeared to me that he/she provided some thoroughly researched information questioning why our citys' leaders would allow a group to hold assemblies in our city that question the authority of the very leaders granting that permission.

You, on the other hand, come on here lambasting Christians and their beliefs with insults as if you're trying to settle a personal vendetta. You are fortunate to live in a country where you can choose to believe however you wish. You have faith that you are going to wake up everyday and that the car is going to start when you turn the key and that the lights are going to come on when you flip the switch. Let Christians have their faith as well.
help us

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Jun 6, 2012
Snake Eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember the OP stating or implying that he was or was not a Christian. It appeared to me that he/she provided some thoroughly researched information questioning why our citys' leaders would allow a group to hold assemblies in our city that question the authority of the very leaders granting that permission.
You, on the other hand, come on here lambasting Christians and their beliefs with insults as if you're trying to settle a personal vendetta. You are fortunate to live in a country where you can choose to believe however you wish. You have faith that you are going to wake up everyday and that the car is going to start when you turn the key and that the lights are going to come on when you flip the switch. Let Christians have their faith as well.
I would bet my next paycheck he is a "Christian" because he is doing what "Christians" do best...slamming any other religion and anyone who believes in anything other than what they do...its so hypocritical.
dumb

Knoxville, TN

#11 Jun 6, 2012
it doesn't matter if he/she is christian. that wasn't my point. although he/she probably is....the point was this:

why bicker about this "cult" when there are christians having "conventions" and "gatherings" all over town, almost every day of the week....and getting TAX BREAKS everywhere they go!

why no complaints about that? i don't give a flying funk what religion anybody is or is not...but i'm not the one crying because one group is getting a "tax break" when there are churches all over the place getting tax breaks every day.
dumb

Knoxville, TN

#12 Jun 6, 2012
let me simplify my theory for the uneducated...

either you agree with religious groups getting tax breaks....or you do not agree with religious groups getting tax breaks.

you can't (logically) raise hell because one religious group is getting a tax break, but have no problem with another religious group getting a tax break. that is on the most basic level of stupid and hypocritical.
Snake Eyes

Myrtle Beach, SC

#13 Jun 6, 2012
help us wrote:
<quoted text>
I would bet my next paycheck he is a "Christian" because he is doing what "Christians" do best...slamming any other religion and anyone who believes in anything other than what they do...its so hypocritical.
Can you not see in describing Christians you are describing yourself? Have you been blinded to your own hypocrisy?
4real

Linville, NC

#14 Jun 6, 2012
Total Equality wrote:
<quoted text>
Please!!! I have seen Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson in concert. I don't think I would compare that atmosphere to a Jehovah Witness convention. Now the Holiness Church; that's a different story.
Mungo herbie

AOL

#15 Jun 6, 2012
Snake Eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well said, I agree!
Curious

Redmond, WA

#19 Jun 10, 2012
The JOHNSON CITY PRESS has published a couple of articles and a photo spread PROMOTING the WATCHTOWER CULT and its Johnson City CONVENTION this weekend.

Particularly, reporter JENNIFER SPROUSE wrote a lengthy PUFF article PROMOTING what was supposedly preached during Saturday's sessions.

I would encourage all of Jennifer Sprouse's family and friends to HEAP PRAISE and COMPLIMENTS on her for having authored such an outstanding piece of investigative journalism.

In fact, all local Readers should take the time to send their COMPLIMENTS to the JOHNSON CITY PRESS for publishing articles that refute what MILLIONS of webpages on the internet say about the Watchtower Cult.

Isn't it wonderful how MONEY defines some people's character and ethics.

Hopefully, the KKK and Al Queda aren't looking for somewhere to hold a convention.
Hmm

Murfreesboro, TN

#20 Jun 10, 2012
Curious wrote:
Hopefully, the KKK and Al Queda aren't looking for somewhere to hold a convention.
They could probably have it at your church, where apparently its ok to demonize any religions/activities other than your own.
zen

Columbus, OH

#21 Jun 10, 2012
Total Equality wrote:
<quoted text>
However, I would like to point out that Marilyn Manson & Rob Zombie were not allowed to perform at Freedom Hall because the town was afraid of the "cult like atmosphere" that would be created if such a venue was allowed.
The prevailing fear of a "cult-like atmosphere" is why WQUT had to pull the plug on the Tennessee Midnight Rambler. Even though he was a legendary iconic DJ who helped lay the station's foundation over 30 years ago, the bible thumping fanatics feared he was leading a demonic cult with his physical appearance and heavy metal music. Once they threatened the new station owner with an organized mass boycott of advertisers, they won the battle and the Midnight Rambler got axed under the pretence of him "retiring".
That Dude

United States

#23 Jun 12, 2012
I wish they would hold a convention once a month. They all pay in cash, are very courteous, and tip well. Its like Christmas for a waiter.
sweet

Wartburg, TN

#24 Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for posting about this, I didn't realize they were back already. but now that I kno they are here I can go saturday and sunday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Builders first choice 3 min Flag pond 1
Keep Drug Dealers Away From Kids 20 min Drugs 3
Rent a center 2 hr Lisa 12
Phillips landscaping Beware (Oct '15) 22 hr Lawn dog 22
Quinton at it again 23 hr Shaw 5
Looking for Dr. Todd Whitaker Mon Jjibe 1
Barnes exterminating (Aug '09) Mon lollollol 65

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance