OFFICERS DUI they are human but driving
NCTN

Banner Elk, NC

#42 Apr 27, 2014
Judgmental wrote:
<quoted text> I think you are a bit premature with your judgements. The BAC has not come back yet and until it does there is no way you can know the level of impairment. If he was intoxicated, he will pay the price and for a cop it will mean his career in law enforcement will be over. The lesson on how to deal with hopped up, hypoctite cops isn't necessary on this thread. There is nothing about these individuals that has been shown that they fit in that category. I agree they are normal folk that have pressure on them, but they bear an added pressure that they are always under a microscope. Unless you have been there you cannot understand. A drunk on the road is a criminal, but let's not lynch them yet.
Yeah lets wait 'til the BAC comes back to lynch them. Is that what you are saying with your last statement? They will lose their job because they got a DUI? I am so sick of that. These companies and systems that will not hire someone who has gotten a DUI. The cops in question are definitely hypocrites though, I do agree with you on that, but they all are probably hypocritical in some ways. I'm sure they do not always obey the speed limit. Who does? What level of hypocrisy is that. The BAC has been lowered to a level that translates into increased revenue for the states and counties. It is more about money than safety. A DUI costs thousands to different entities. It is a cottage industry. Used to they would follow you home, or give you a ride. No more. It is draconian and wrong. I bet the BAC of this guy comes back .17. Thats my guess.
Judgmental

Johnson City, TN

#43 Apr 27, 2014
NCTN wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah lets wait 'til the BAC comes back to lynch them. Is that what you are saying with your last statement? They will lose their job because they got a DUI? I am so sick of that. These companies and systems that will not hire someone who has gotten a DUI. The cops in question are definitely hypocrites though, I do agree with you on that, but they all are probably hypocritical in some ways. I'm sure they do not always obey the speed limit. Who does? What level of hypocrisy is that. The BAC has been lowered to a level that translates into increased revenue for the states and counties. It is more about money than safety. A DUI costs thousands to different entities. It is a cottage industry. Used to they would follow you home, or give you a ride. No more. It is draconian and wrong. I bet the BAC of this guy comes back .17. Thats my guess.
It is a law that you cannot carry a gun or be a law enforcement officer of you have a record. It is not just that the department won't hire or keep them, it is a law! They also can't follow you home either or give you a ride like the old days. The officer who did that would be fired as well. It was a better time. I'm not guessing anything. I'll wait for real results. I did not say or imply the officers are hypocrites. The other poster did that. They are human and make stupid mistakes like we all do. I'm sure we all have been speeding at some time or other so I won't throw the first stone. I don't drink, so I am not putting myself in that category.
Failed leadership

Johnson City, TN

#44 Apr 27, 2014
The buck stops at the top and the comments show we the people most of us whom have not been arrested feel a need to fear our police force and some who have been arrested have been harmed beyond what was necessary . Its the leader who gets the praise and should also get the blame if it goes bad .
NCTN

Banner Elk, NC

#45 Apr 27, 2014
Judgmental wrote:
<quoted text> It is a law that you cannot carry a gun or be a law enforcement officer of you have a record. It is not just that the department won't hire or keep them, it is a law! They also can't follow you home either or give you a ride like the old days. The officer who did that would be fired as well. It was a better time. I'm not guessing anything. I'll wait for real results. I did not say or imply the officers are hypocrites. The other poster did that. They are human and make stupid mistakes like we all do. I'm sure we all have been speeding at some time or other so I won't throw the first stone. I don't drink, so I am not putting myself in that category.
You can carry and own a gun if you have a record. You cannot if you are a convicted felon. Misdemeanor convictions no matter what they are should not be a factor in any employment determination That is my opinion. I am only throwing out a guess that the deputy's BAC will end up being .17. It is only a guess. I believe DUI's are a money making racket, and that people should be given rides home the first time then if caught again charged. That is how I feel.
settler

Johnson City, TN

#46 Apr 27, 2014
NCTN wrote:
<quoted text>You can carry and own a gun if you have a record. You cannot if you are a convicted felon. Misdemeanor convictions no matter what they are should not be a factor in any employment determination That is my opinion. I am only throwing out a guess that the deputy's BAC will end up being .17. It is only a guess. I believe DUI's are a money making racket, and that people should be given rides home the first time then if caught again charged. That is how I feel.
First, let me say I'm not arguing with you or anyone else. It's not only a felony that will keep you from carrying, but any domestic or stalking conviction will do it. When I applied for my carry permit, I noticed a question about a DUI conviction in the past five years- this might also prevent someone from being issued a permit. I got a DUI about six years ago, and even though the state gave me a restricted license to drive to work AND any driving related to my job, my employer said NO WAY would anyone with a less-than- perfect MVR drive one of their company vehicles. I had to take another job for five years until the first employer would hire me back. I guess it's up to the employer who they let drive their vehicles, probably insurance related.
NCTN

Banner Elk, NC

#47 Apr 28, 2014
Yeah Settler, if you have a driving job and get a DUI you are pretty much out of a job. That certainly translates into a huge fine. What I hate is that many jobs simply ask about a conviction or pending case. I feel that if foment pays their debt to society that should be enough. A DUI doesn't mean a person can't be a nurse, or a teacher, or a bagger at a grocery store. The driving thing has to do with a company's insurance.
three years ago

Johnson City, TN

#48 Apr 28, 2014
NCTN wrote:
Yeah Settler, if you have a driving job and get a DUI you are pretty much out of a job. That certainly translates into a huge fine. What I hate is that many jobs simply ask about a conviction or pending case. I feel that if foment pays their debt to society that should be enough. A DUI doesn't mean a person can't be a nurse, or a teacher, or a bagger at a grocery store. The driving thing has to do with a company's insurance.
I agree DUI is not a good thing to do but if it were one of us the prep walk would be seen while laying in the hospital COPs have to be pure as the driven snow .
Whatever

Johnson City, TN

#49 Apr 28, 2014
Failed leadership wrote:
The buck stops at the top and the comments show we the people most of us whom have not been arrested feel a need to fear our police force and some who have been arrested have been harmed beyond what was necessary . Its the leader who gets the praise and should also get the blame if it goes bad .
I disagree. Most who have not been arrested are not in need to fear the police force. Maybe you are but you cannot speak for a whole large body of people. Unless you were there you also cannot determine whether anyone was harmed beyond necessary. Blame and fear help no one. The leader should not get the blame for things people do on their own time and in their vehicles. People have free will and should answer for their own actions.
Body cameras

Johnson City, TN

#50 Apr 28, 2014
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. Most who have not been arrested are not in need to fear the police force. Maybe you are but you cannot speak for a whole large body of people. Unless you were there you also cannot determine whether anyone was harmed beyond necessary. Blame and fear help no one. The leader should not get the blame for things people do on their own time and in their vehicles. People have free will and should answer for their own actions.
the historical records show the Washington County police have not always done the right thing beside even those that have been in jail are citizens who deserve all rights of being a American they have paid the price for what every crime they did or didn't commit .
Truly

Johnson City, TN

#51 Apr 29, 2014
Body cameras wrote:
<quoted text> the historical records show the Washington County police have not always done the right thing beside even those that have been in jail are citizens who deserve all rights of being a American they have paid the price for what every crime they did or didn't commit .
I CALL B'S!!!!!!
county resident

Johnson City, TN

#52 Apr 29, 2014
Failed leadership wrote:
The buck stops at the top and the comments show we the people most of us whom have not been arrested feel a need to fear our police force and some who have been arrested have been harmed beyond what was necessary . Its the leader who gets the praise and should also get the blame if it goes bad .
Really? We are going to turn a situation (which we don't know all the facts) into a political one. So I guess the "leadership" has to tuck all the deputies in at night, make sure that they are in bed by a certain hour, or hold their hands when they are off duty? Mistakes happen. Good people make bad choices. But to turn an unfortunate situation into a corner stone of a political campaign. Let's leave the Craig Ford mudslinging out and let the investigation speak for itself.
Right to prep walk

Johnson City, TN

#53 Apr 29, 2014
county resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? We are going to turn a situation (which we don't know all the facts) into a political one. So I guess the "leadership" has to tuck all the deputies in at night, make sure that they are in bed by a certain hour, or hold their hands when they are off duty? Mistakes happen. Good people make bad choices. But to turn an unfortunate situation into a corner stone of a political campaign. Let's leave the Craig Ford mudslinging out and let the investigation speak for itself.
They could have a talk with all officers telling them that they are held to a higher standard because of the job and if they can't do that they need to find other jobs because as a elected official the buck can and will stop with the Sheriff who is in charge when the Deputies are found to be out of line .
Truly

Johnson City, TN

#54 Apr 29, 2014
Right to prep walk wrote:
<quoted text> They could have a talk with all officers telling them that they are held to a higher standard because of the job and if they can't do that they need to find other jobs because as a elected official the buck can and will stop with the Sheriff who is in charge when the Deputies are found to be out of line .
They are told that when hired and when they go to the Academy. Also, it's just plain common sense. If they do it while on duty, in a cruiser, or in uniform, and the Sheriff is aware and lets it go, THEN the Sheriff is at fault. He is not their babysitter. Is your boss responsible for what you do in your home, car, and on your own time? Sheriff Graybeal will do what needs to be done of and when these officers are charged.
Sheriffs example

Johnson City, TN

#55 May 1, 2014
The leader sets the bar of what is expected of employees who have a job that requires them to have off duty standards that are above what you would find in other jobs . A clear un hung over head making the decisions to shoot or taser another human being .
Schwartz the Warts

Kingsport, TN

#56 May 2, 2014
Hellfire folks. When it is all said and done, most cops are humans and have many of the problems we all face. Everybody screws up. There has to be a self realization that they are not above the law. Many of the policemen I have been in contact with are good guys and dedicated to doing what's right, very professional and not just by the book. But I'll tell you what bothers me..........the young muscle bound cops with the fake Iraq war veteran haircuts, on steroids who get all Dirty Harry and want to bust heads. Those are the ones to be in a mental hospital. I have few complaints against the local police until the hard core bastards on steroids get all giggity, and then the shit hits the fan. Keep in mind, if a bloated up 'roid cop pulls you over and gives you the business, he ain't right in the head! Be cool. Even if illegal steroids make up his persona, never mind. He's a cut above the law and thinks he's Arnold Schwarzenegger on a mission. These guys are loaded cannons just itching to jack you up.
Off duty drug use

Johnson City, TN

#57 May 2, 2014
Yes what officers do off duty does effect their jobs just like it does to all of our jobs just get caught DWI and see if you get fired its part of the implied punishment for that crime . Besides these days we know it kills so why would anyone do it unless they think they can get away with it and I say if they had made it to point B even if another officer had pulled them over on the way, we the public would have never known .
Happen GRAYBEAL watch

Jonesborough, TN

#58 May 3, 2014
Yes it was allowed to get so bad that this happen on his watch these officers wrecked and no one was hurt the next time it might be your family car that stops them . By the way why don't we hear whats going on with those two I mean the test should have been back in 24 hours . Are we trying to hide the facts and let them off free of any charges .
What a laugh

Johnson City, TN

#59 May 3, 2014
Happen GRAYBEAL watch wrote:
Yes it was allowed to get so bad that this happen on his watch these officers wrecked and no one was hurt the next time it might be your family car that stops them . By the way why don't we hear whats going on with those two I mean the test should have been back in 24 hours . Are we trying to hide the facts and let them off free of any charges .
Ask THP
Bad news election

Jonesborough, TN

#60 May 4, 2014
Lets keep this quite until after the election we cops even on the state level need to watch each others back its only bad when one of them does it . District Attorney wants to let it go it seems too .
What happen

Jonesborough, TN

#62 May 5, 2014
Why has it taken so long for this to come to a conclusion are we trying to hide the facts until we the citizens united forget about it and it goes away . We all make mistakes and if it were you or I justice would be swift and sure and it wouldn't be pretty .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Johnson Shitty 38 min Anon 1
Illegal Search By Police In Tennessee 7/4/13 (Jul '13) 42 min Anon 26
Confederate Flag Hooplah 50 min Anon 93
Black lives matter rally 54 min Anon 11
Trying to find a good farmers market 2 hr curious 1
Looking For Place To View The Stars 6 hr Clue 17
Gas Tax 9 hr j roll 3
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) Mon Jennifer 942
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages