I start laying off tomorrow

I start laying off tomorrow

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

Laying Off

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Nov 3, 2013
.I have owned a business in the johnson city area since 1990 and I employ 67. I am deciding as to weather to reduce their hours and hire more employes (that would make them angry) or to lay of below the 59 mark, but I can't get the work done without paying "Chinese overtime"

That's where I put them on salary and expect them to work some 55 hours (that will make the even madder ) either way! I'm not paying their insurance. They will be forced to go thru the "exchange" or go without. They already hate me, so it doesn't meter to me which way I go. But frankly, we (my wife an I) are beginning to be fearful of retaliation.

We looked at a few things and we would be willing to pay about 20% of whatever they had to pay thru the exchange. In that particular case, we wouldn't actually be paying out anything.

But by December 15th we will not have a single employee that works (or appears to work) for more than 39 hours.

I don't owe these people one thin dime for working for me for for 22 years. I see it the other way around. They make from $11 to $14 per hour. Some have kids, some don't. Shouldn't you wait until you have a job that has benefits before you start having a family. Is it my responsibility to care for their health?

They performs service for me and I pay them for it. End of agreement.
worker

Johnson City, TN

#2 Nov 3, 2013
Laying Off wrote:
.I have owned a business in the johnson city area since 1990 and I employ 67. I am deciding as to weather to reduce their hours and hire more employes (that would make them angry) or to lay of below the 59 mark, but I can't get the work done without paying "Chinese overtime"
That's where I put them on salary and expect them to work some 55 hours (that will make the even madder ) either way! I'm not paying their insurance. They will be forced to go thru the "exchange" or go without. They already hate me, so it doesn't meter to me which way I go. But frankly, we (my wife an I) are beginning to be fearful of retaliation.
We looked at a few things and we would be willing to pay about 20% of whatever they had to pay thru the exchange. In that particular case, we wouldn't actually be paying out anything.
But by December 15th we will not have a single employee that works (or appears to work) for more than 39 hours.
I don't owe these people one thin dime for working for me for for 22 years. I see it the other way around. They make from $11 to $14 per hour. Some have kids, some don't. Shouldn't you wait until you have a job that has benefits before you start having a family. Is it my responsibility to care for their health?
From your posting, you don't seem to be very well educated, plus you obviously aren't a compassionate person, but seem more like the greedy type. Hopefully, the employees that you let go will be fortunate enough to get a good Christian person for a new boss.
James

Johnson City, TN

#3 Nov 4, 2013
worker wrote:
<quoted text>Hopefully, the employees that you let go will be fortunate enough to get a good Christian person for a new boss.
HA! Talk about an oxymoron, put that one right next to government intelligence.
The Boss

Johnson City, TN

#4 Nov 4, 2013
Put your big boy pants on and do what you think you should do. If your employees are not performing up to your expectations then make your decision. If you want to hire people and not pay insurance for the employees so be it. This is a free market system for you and the employees, current and future prospects. If they can find better jobs that pay their insurance they will. You and your company's reputation are on the line. Future prospective candidates for employment will look at the pay and benefits before inquiring at possible employment. You get exactly what you pay for.
Soyousay

Kingsport, TN

#5 Nov 4, 2013
Laying Off wrote:
Sounds like a bunch of bull. You don't own a business and are just making all this stuff up to feed politics.
Laid Off

Johnson City, TN

#6 Nov 4, 2013
The Boss wrote:
Put your big boy pants on and do what you think you should do. If your employees are not performing up to your expectations then make your decision. If you want to hire people and not pay insurance for the employees so be it. This is a free market system for you and the employees, current and future prospects. If they can find better jobs that pay their insurance they will. You and your company's reputation are on the line. Future prospective candidates for employment will look at the pay and benefits before inquiring at possible employment. You get exactly what you pay for.
But we're not ina free market system. The highest paying jobs in this are are at executives at the non-profits, ETSU, Mountain States Health Alliance, the City and County. And they all have great health insurance.
buttercup

Johnson City, TN

#7 Nov 4, 2013
you sound like an asshole boss, saying you don't owe those people anything..11-14 bucks an hour isn't good money, and you should be fortunate you've had people stick with you and be loyal. Turn-over can be harmful and costly if you can't keep good people. I am glad I am not your employee, with your, "I don't owe them anything" attitude I would've probably told you to go eff yourself. Do as you need, with your crappy uneducated bossing skills your business will be going under soon anyway. People aren't going to stick around getting hosed on over time or getting hours cut because you're a greedy sob..
Booker Phillips

Elizabethton, TN

#8 Nov 4, 2013
Laid Off wrote:
<quoted text> But we're not ina free market system. The highest paying jobs in this are are at executives at the non-profits, ETSU, Mountain States Health Alliance, the City and County. And they all have great health insurance.
Health insurance provided by an employer is a benefit meant to attract quality employees, not a requirement. Employers that offer jobs that require more stringent qualifications (college degrees, certifications, prior experience, etc.) will most likely offer better health insurance and other benefits so they can be more appealing to potential employees.

That's not fair, you say? I beg to differ. With so many options available to pay for college (grants, veteran discounts, delayed payment, etc.), there is no excuse why someone shouldn't be able to obtain a degree.

Many colleges offer undergraduate and graduate degrees that can be obtained completely online from the comfort of your home and during a time that is most convenient for the student.

A little drive will take a person a long way. So sad that so many are too lazy to strive for it.
Just Saying

United States

#9 Nov 4, 2013
Do what is best for you and your company, you own it not the people working for you. They agree to work or they can leave and get another job. Jobs are so plentiful today if you listen to our prez ot the state run news media. Some one told me today the guy who owns Hardee's fast food chain sold out because of obamacare because of cost and is suing obama and congress. Go figure and look for more and more of this coupled with people who cannot afford insurance because of inflated cost because someone has to pay for the freebee crowd and illegals. Look for revolt before liar in chief leaves office.
Line Worker

Bristol, TN

#10 Nov 4, 2013
So boss are we getting a Christmas bonus?

Now for my real reply. Your full of sh__. You do not remotely have the intellegents tonrun a business orneven be the Fry Manager a a fast food resturant. Next time you post stick to something you knownsomething about. Talk about unpaid child support and DUI's. Talk about your limited employment due to drug use and limited education.

Your an idiot thats clear. If you were half of what you claim you are even worse than the 2nd paragraph mentions.
idiot

Abingdon, VA

#11 Nov 4, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
Some one told me today the guy who owns Hardee's fast food chain sold out because of obamacare because of cost and is suing obama and congress..
Was it the voices in your head or some moronic dumbshit on Fox news who lied. Hardees has been owned by the same parent company for 17 years so they haven't "sold out". Oh, and good luck with that idiotic lawsuit...ROFL
Laying Off

Jonesborough, TN

#12 Nov 4, 2013
Line Worker wrote:
So boss are we getting a Christmas bonus?
Now for my real reply. Your full of sh__. You do not remotely have the intellegents tonrun a business orneven be the Fry Manager a a fast food resturant. Next time you post stick to something you knownsomething about. Talk about unpaid child support and DUI's. Talk about your limited employment due to drug use and limited education.
Your an idiot thats clear. If you were half of what you claim you are even worse than the 2nd paragraph mentions.
Read your own post, filled with grammatical errors and broken sentences, not to mention fragmented thoughts. You're a line worker and a Fox New puppet. Enjoy the tent you and yours baby momma get to live in after you've sucked all the D--k that you can for crack.... No offense.
Brakes

Kingsport, TN

#13 Nov 4, 2013
Laying Off wrote:
<quoted text>
Read your own post, filled with grammatical errors and broken sentences, not to mention fragmented thoughts. You're a line worker and a Fox New puppet. Enjoy the tent you and yours baby momma get to live in after you've sucked all the D--k that you can for crack.... No offense.
Hey Laying Off, try laying off the bullshit. It is obvious your original post is a fantasy and that you just want to stir up some trouble with it. Readers please don't fall for his line of b.s. I hate to even respond, but somebody needs to call this what it is. I won't feed this guys foolish posts with any more replies and suggest that you don't either.
sassy

United States

#14 Nov 4, 2013
Amen!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
crackhead 6 hr methony 2
Birthday party venue (Feb '11) 10 hr Melanie 23
Ginnifer House Redstone Poms (Oct '16) 16 hr hth 5
Dallas Renee sneed Johnson cityACT Tue wtf 2
wussywover Tue pinky 1
lickinggood Tue pope 6
male circumcision (Dec '12) Sep 17 Okay 24

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance