Mahoneys, Johnson city,
poster

Sevierville, TN

#82 Sep 21, 2013
I LOVE to go to Mahoneys!!! When I go in and am totally ignored by the sales staff, it gives me plenty of time to look carefully at items I'm considering purchasing. Shoot, one day I totally unboxed an MSR stove, assembled it in the floor, and sat down to read the manual. NO ONE bothered me in the least. Of course, I never buy anything there due to their high prices (They're actually not bad on guns), but I go home and buy it cheap online. The problem in guns is that they are VERY knowledgeable. And, they WILL talk down to you to prove their firearm superiority. All the while trying to upsell you into a "superior" gun. I'd call that a salesman trying to make better comission, but there are better ways to go about it than browbeating the customer into a purchase. As per the earlier post, I have a Hi-point 45ACP carbine. GREAT rifle! Big bang for the buck! Didn't but it at Mahoneys for sure! But mostly, I just want to thank Dan & Co. for providing such a high-quality showroom. It's full of great, top of the line products. Other than guns, their sales staff isn't much. They're not going to know much more than your average outdoorsman. But, I can go in and browse at my leisure until I'm self-informed enough to go home, and order online. Many times, I go after work, and have my work clothes on. That seems to work best. The poorer you're dressed, the less likely they are to look at you, much less speak to you. Trying going in wearing a pair of Merrill's and a nice Columbia or Mountain Hardwear fleece. They'll be on you like stink on poop. They figure you either have $$, or that you might be a repeat customer. They ARE snobby! And that's why I spend my hard-earned money elsewhere. Many times, you can buy direct from manufacturers, and get MUCH better prices!! Mountainsmith, HI-Point, and Keen footwear are a few that pop directly into mind. Their customer service is top notch! Much better than Mahoney's for sure...
someguy

Jonesborough, TN

#83 Sep 23, 2013
poster wrote:
I LOVE to go to Mahoneys!!! When I go in and am totally ignored by the sales staff, it gives me plenty of time to look carefully at items I'm considering purchasing. Shoot, one day I totally unboxed an MSR stove, assembled it in the floor, and sat down to read the manual. NO ONE bothered me in the least.
I know what you mean. I camped out in there for a week using all of their gear and no sales person seemed to notice or care. I thought the smoke from my fire or the smell of s'mores cooking would get noticed but it didn't.
Community Spirit

Johnson City, TN

#84 Sep 23, 2013
poster wrote:
I LOVE to go to Mahoneys!!! When I go in and am totally ignored by the sales staff, it gives me plenty of time to look carefully at items I'm considering purchasing. Shoot, one day I totally unboxed an MSR stove, assembled it in the floor, and sat down to read the manual. NO ONE bothered me in the least. Of course, I never buy anything there due to their high prices (They're actually not bad on guns), but I go home and buy it cheap online. The problem in guns is that they are VERY knowledgeable. And, they WILL talk down to you to prove their firearm superiority. All the while trying to upsell you into a "superior" gun. I'd call that a salesman trying to make better comission, but there are better ways to go about it than browbeating the customer into a purchase. As per the earlier post, I have a Hi-point 45ACP carbine. GREAT rifle! Big bang for the buck! Didn't but it at Mahoneys for sure! But mostly, I just want to thank Dan & Co. for providing such a high-quality showroom. It's full of great, top of the line products. Other than guns, their sales staff isn't much. They're not going to know much more than your average outdoorsman. But, I can go in and browse at my leisure until I'm self-informed enough to go home, and order online. Many times, I go after work, and have my work clothes on. That seems to work best. The poorer you're dressed, the less likely they are to look at you, much less speak to you. Trying going in wearing a pair of Merrill's and a nice Columbia or Mountain Hardwear fleece. They'll be on you like stink on poop. They figure you either have $$, or that you might be a repeat customer. They ARE snobby! And that's why I spend my hard-earned money elsewhere. Many times, you can buy direct from manufacturers, and get MUCH better prices!! Mountainsmith, HI-Point, and Keen footwear are a few that pop directly into mind. Their customer service is top notch! Much better than Mahoney's for sure...
See where exactly did you physically go see and try out the product? Who do you think paid the expense for you to go do that? What are you going to do if your mail order purchase comes in damaged? Where do you think our local schools, roads and buildings that you have probably used are going to get maintenance since people like you are shafting the sales tax policy? Are you not going to let your kids go to local schools since you didn't help pay for them? I think not. You shaft the very entity that is providing jobs in our community, paying taxes to our community and allowing you to test products you are interested in at their expense simply because you feel like to didn't get the attention you deserved. Poor baby. Maybe you should have taken your mother with you.
good thoughts

Johnson City, TN

#85 Dec 29, 2013
Shopping at mahoneys instead of dicks would help keep the prices at mahoneys down, put money in the community and drive out chain businesses. Spending is good, has Obama taught you nothing?
Lewis

United States

#86 Dec 29, 2013
good thoughts wrote:
Shopping at mahoneys instead of dicks would help keep the prices at mahoneys down, put money in the community and drive out chain businesses. Spending is good, has Obama taught you nothing?
I have never seen a chain store with lower pricing than a local store - ever. I've seen poor quality goods at a cheaper price, but never cheaper pricing for the exact same thing. I have also never received good customer service at a chain store. I bought a mattress at one of the local mattress chain stores and it started squeaking every time you turn over in less than two weeks. The chain store basically told me tough, it is not a defect. That was my one and only time at paying for something of inferior quality. My new mattress is great. Lesson learned. I also bought some camo clothes at Dick's a couple of years ago. They fell apart in 2 months. Yes, they were cheaper and I should have known better, but the lure of a lower price got me.

Want poor quality stuff with bad customer service, go to a chain store. Want some personal attention and good quality items, shop local.
buttercup

Johnson City, TN

#87 Dec 29, 2013
It's pretty simple really. If you don't like it there, don't go there. I've bought several things there and never had an issue. Good store to me.
Jethro

United States

#88 Jan 1, 2014
I like cheese
Competition Is Healthy

Johnson City, TN

#89 Jan 1, 2014
I will shop at Mahoney's, Dick's, Cabela's, REI and any other store like them, that can keep their prices and quality competitive. If Mahoney's can do that, then more power to them. If they can't, I won't shop local and pay more to support them!
JC Fan

United States

#90 Jan 1, 2014
Competition Is Healthy wrote:
I will shop at Mahoney's, Dick's, Cabela's, REI and any other store like them, that can keep their prices and quality competitive. If Mahoney's can do that, then more power to them. If they can't, I won't shop local and pay more to support them!
You're what the chain stores are counting on. Mass advertise, artifially lower pricing until the local businesses shut down. Then increase the price and decrease the quality to make more profits. Why do you think Walmart is so successful? It is because of people like you. Thank you for supporting your community.
Free Man

Murfreesboro, TN

#91 Jan 1, 2014
JC Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're what the chain stores are counting on. Mass advertise, artifially lower pricing until the local businesses shut down. Then increase the price and decrease the quality to make more profits. Why do you think Walmart is so successful? It is because of people like you. Thank you for supporting your community.
This is the free market system at work. The business with the lowest price gets my money. I do not have an extra fifteen percent to throw away to local millionaires. The gravy train is over and now they will have to live like the rest of us.
JC Fan

United States

#92 Jan 1, 2014
Free Man wrote:
<quoted text> This is the free market system at work. The business with the lowest price gets my money. I do not have an extra fifteen percent to throw away to local millionaires. The gravy train is over and now they will have to live like the rest of us.
The cheapest way to buy something is to only buy it once. You will eventually learn this.
Competition Is Healthy

Johnson City, TN

#93 Jan 1, 2014
Free Man wrote:
<quoted text> This is the free market system at work. The business with the lowest price gets my money. I do not have an extra fifteen percent to throw away to local millionaires. The gravy train is over and now they will have to live like the rest of us.
I agree, and if they keep their prices competitive, I'll shop there. It has nothing to do with whether or not I love Johnson City. I value saving my family money MORE than keeping the Mahoneys in business! Judging by their parking lot the last couple of months, I hardly think they are hurting.
Elvis

Bristol, VA

#94 Jan 2, 2014
Cabela's and Bass Pro will put a hurting on them. Maybe that will improve those lovely attitudes they have.
Free Man

Johnson City, TN

#95 Jan 3, 2014
JC Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The cheapest way to buy something is to only buy it once. You will eventually learn this.
Yes I have. I also learned that you can buy the same high quality products elsewhere at a lower price. You may never learn that.
JC Fan

United States

#96 Jan 3, 2014
Free Man wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I have. I also learned that you can buy the same high quality products elsewhere at a lower price. You may never learn that.
I understand that and I always like to do my research before buying. However, I also consider customer service and who will back what they sell in my purchase decision. It is not all about the up front price in my opinion. I guess it depends on what you are buying. If I am buying a car, the business I am buying the car from is as important to me as the price. If I am buying a tv, same thing, who I am buying it from is as important as what the price is. If I am buying paper plates, then I don't care who I buy them from. Just my two cents.
Theodore

Smartt, TN

#98 Apr 30, 2014
laffingravy wrote:
I am amazed that Mahoney's has survived all these years. If not for the good ol'e boy network it probably would have folded long ago. The cronies hanging around the gun department remind me of old shellshocked veterans.........always the same old conversations over heard....."Hey Willis, you going to the shoot Saturday?", etc.
The prices are outrageous. Of course side deals with local companies that provide safety shoes with a "whopping" discount to employees help keep the joint in business. The service is ghastly, wityh sinister and high hatted employees who would love to show you their gun carry permit.
Being that Dan is in good with the local government, it seems any other establishment so crammed and cramped would be cited for fire code violations.
All in all, if you enjoy paying high prices, being treated as a criminal, and have no claustrophobic tendencies, this may be the place for you to shop.
yeh I have lived in the tri city area all my life n mahoney's is definitely just for the rich.never bought a gun there never will
TennGuy

Franklin, TN

#99 Apr 30, 2014
Not 'just for the rich' Theodore. I'm not rich and have bought many guns there. For those who say they are 20% high on their guns: tell me one retailer 20% below Mahoney's on gun prices. The only way to do better is to get law enforcement prices.
Everyone one said Dicks would put them out of business. That sure hasn't happened. They are doing better than ever. I will also predict that Bass Pro and Cabela's wont hurt them either.
Murph

Kingsport, TN

#100 May 16, 2014
Mahoney's? Give me a break! That joint is a trap for the armchair sportsman. Have you seen the lame commercials they are running with the vegetarian looking dork saying "you should have gone to Mahooooonies"?
That place is as overpriced as they come and should be closed down as a fire hazard. I has been my experience that if you show up dressed as a dude dumb ass hobby horse outdoors man, you will get excellent service. I guess they see a mark coming. If you just come in there for overpriced work boots or something, you will be given the old shoplifter eye. And the gun shop area! A bunch of old geezers loafing around talking shit about the recoil reminding them of sex or something while you are trying to find a reasonably priced gun. The only thing that has kept their boat floating is back scratching and old school fart knockers!
Local Salesman

Johnson City, TN

#101 May 18, 2014
JC Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that and I always like to do my research before buying. However, I also consider customer service and who will back what they sell in my purchase decision. It is not all about the up front price in my opinion. I guess it depends on what you are buying. If I am buying a car, the business I am buying the car from is as important to me as the price. If I am buying a tv, same thing, who I am buying it from is as important as what the price is. If I am buying paper plates, then I don't care who I buy them from. Just my two cents.
Hahaha you are too funny. I would really like to be nice to you and sell you a 20 pack of paper plates for twenty dollars. I will sell it to you over and over all day long with the best customer service. Ha! I would have you turned out with my niceness.
The Judge

Elizabethton, TN

#102 May 20, 2014
The ones arguing they shop cheapest price are the ones crying about no American manufacturing jobs. And they'll never get the connection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drs willing to treat pain management aggressive... (Jul '12) 5 hr Alleyes4u37 51
Why is the Burger King on South Roan still in b... 9 hr Sissy233 5
Dogging 16 hr NFL 7
who is Doug everyone is talking about? (Aug '13) 20 hr youre a jerk 23
Johnson city Toyota 20 hr youre a jerk 2
Ignoring red light camera citations. (May '14) 20 hr youre a jerk 34
Anyone else into public jerking? 20 hr youre a jerk 2
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 23 hr Jackie 4 1,574

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages