Mahoneys, Johnson city,
SpiroAgnew

Kingsport, TN

#62 Jan 2, 2013
Thought I would put some money into the local economy and tried to go to Mahoneys to outfit my wife and I for a fly fishing trip in Utah. The store was empty with three sales staff walking around talking with other about what they were going to do that night. After 30 minutes I asked for assitance and was asked "What do you want?". I let this slide while my wife shopped but they did not have her size in stock and said "we don't carry larger sizes." Ture enough I couldn't finad any pants over a size 36 waist. I made one last effort to buy something local, a pair of hiking shoes and was told "we don't carry that size". The size I was looking for was 11. During all of this the grab ass and conversation never ended and I am fairly certian I heard a joke at my wifes expense. We left everything and headed to Dicks. We found all the same clothing, in our sizes, at half the price and had someone helping us from the time we walked into the store. And none of the staff were having conversations about thier evening plans in fron t of customers. We dropped $300+ on everyhting we needed and then some and I will not shop at Mohoney's ever again. As far as I am concerned him and the rest of the downtown merchants need more competition and if the stores need a tax break to be attracted to the area then so be it. For all you folks who love Mahoneys then I suggest you continue to buy overpriced stuff to keep him in business. I have given this store several chnaces and have had bad expirences each time. Now if Dick's starts acting like its name then Cabellas/Gander Mountant/Bass Pro here I come.
Pop

Johnson City, TN

#63 Jan 2, 2013
SpiroAgnew wrote:
Thought I would put some money into the local economy and tried to go to Mahoneys to outfit my wife and I for a fly fishing trip in Utah. The store was empty with three sales staff walking around talking with other about what they were going to do that night. After 30 minutes I asked for assitance and was asked "What do you want?". I let this slide while my wife shopped but they did not have her size in stock and said "we don't carry larger sizes." Ture enough I couldn't finad any pants over a size 36 waist. I made one last effort to buy something local, a pair of hiking shoes and was told "we don't carry that size". The size I was looking for was 11. During all of this the grab ass and conversation never ended and I am fairly certian I heard a joke at my wifes expense. We left everything and headed to Dicks. We found all the same clothing, in our sizes, at half the price and had someone helping us from the time we walked into the store. And none of the staff were having conversations about thier evening plans in fron t of customers. We dropped $300+ on everyhting we needed and then some and I will not shop at Mohoney's ever again. As far as I am concerned him and the rest of the downtown merchants need more competition and if the stores need a tax break to be attracted to the area then so be it. For all you folks who love Mahoneys then I suggest you continue to buy overpriced stuff to keep him in business. I have given this store several chnaces and have had bad expirences each time. Now if Dick's starts acting like its name then Cabellas/Gander Mountant/Bass Pro here I come.
I'm going to have to call you out on this one. First, for the past 4 weeks, you couldn't even get a parking space at Mahoneys it was so full of people. Second, I have been shopping at Mahoney's for over 20 years and have never had an inattentive staff member. In fact, if you are calling Dick's teenagers better than Mahoneys staff, you must have some weird needs. Third, Dick's has about 1/10th of what Mahoneys carries. Just walking in the front door of Dick's will tell you that. Fourth, there is not one thing in Mahoneys that Dicks has for less regarding price - nothing. You obviously have some vendetta against Mahoneys. I have known the Mahoney family for 30 years and they have done nothing but try to help this community for this entire time. What has Dick's done to support our community? You want to shop at Dick's, fine, but quit making up ludicrous statements slamming a local business because you have some vendetta against them.
SpiroAgnew

United States

#64 Jan 3, 2013
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to have to call you out on this one. First, for the past 4 weeks, you couldn't even get a parking space at Mahoneys it was so full of people. Second, I have been shopping at Mahoney's for over 20 years and have never had an inattentive staff member. In fact, if you are calling Dick's teenagers better than Mahoneys staff, you must have some weird needs. Third, Dick's has about 1/10th of what Mahoneys carries. Just walking in the front door of Dick's will tell you that. Fourth, there is not one thing in Mahoneys that Dicks has for less regarding price - nothing. You obviously have some vendetta against Mahoneys. I have known the Mahoney family for 30 years and they have done nothing but try to help this community for this entire time. What has Dick's done to support our community? You want to shop at Dick's, fine, but quit making up ludicrous statements slamming a local business because you have some vendetta against them.
Nope, no vendetta. This happened in June of 2012. My wife and I were real disappointed. Yesterday I tried one last time to give them some business and called to get a price on scope mounting for a deer rifle and the phone was answered and then disconnected. This happened a second time after lunch. We will try to get ahold of them again but I took one rifle to dicks last night on a whim and got it mounted and boresighted in 10 minutes for $20 bucks. When I called about it a person answered. I would love to keep money local but I am not going to go anywhere and have bad service if I am paying for it even if they are the "best" around. If one of the "teenagers" working in the clothing part of Mahoneys had assisted us then we would have purchased everything there. I just posted my expirence, if you have some good ones then start posting, surely in 20 years you have a good customer service story to tell.
Shawnbo

Summerville, GA

#65 Jan 5, 2013
I've shopped at Mahoney's for over 20 years and I've always loved the place. I particularly like how everything is just jam packed snugly together throughout the entire store. Somehow it makes the products look extra appealing and makes me feel excited about hiking, camping, outdoor sports, and such. Things are a bit pricey for me, but I try to give them some business because I just like the place and I like that it is locally owned. Long live Mahoney's!
Jeff

Kingsport, TN

#66 Jan 8, 2013
SpiroAgnew wrote:
I have shopped at Mahoney's for over 30 years. I have ALWAYS gotten EXTREMELY good service, and the prices are great. The gun shop men are wonderful to deal with. They know their stuff! You can find lesser quality at another store, but you will NEVER find better service, quality, and price. I think you are ticked because your wife is a + size, and they don't carry PLUS sizes. Get over it. Rather than go fly fishing, take her on a LONG hike.
lulz

Jonesborough, TN

#67 Jan 8, 2013
never had a bad experience there. People always seem friendly enough.

Great selection of guns as well.
hmm-maybe

Powell, TN

#68 Jan 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I have shopped at Mahoney's for over 30 years. I have ALWAYS gotten EXTREMELY good service, and the prices are great. The gun shop men are wonderful to deal with. They know their stuff! You can find lesser quality at another store, but you will NEVER find better service, quality, and price. I think you are ticked because your wife is a + size, and they don't carry PLUS sizes. Get over it. Rather than go fly fishing, take her on a LONG hike.
you sir are full of bull shit........you must work there or I bet all of these post that are for Mahoneys are made by the owner...BassPro is coming and Dicks is here...watch out.....lol good luck....your comment was very mean and uncalled for about the mans wife......... just remember what goes around comes around....jerk
Jeff

Kingsport, TN

#69 Jan 9, 2013
hmm-maybe wrote:
<quoted text>you sir are full of bull shit........you must work there or I bet all of these post that are for Mahoneys are made by the owner...BassPro is coming and Dicks is here...watch out.....lol good luck....your comment was very mean and uncalled for about the mans wife......... just remember what goes around comes around....jerk
I DO NOT work there, and I am not full of BS. For your information, Dick's has been here for YEARS with no effect on Mahoney's. Who cares if Bass Pro comes. They will NEVER have the gun selection that Mahoney's has, and their customer service doesn't come close. As for the man's wife, it is what it is. If she was a "wallapaloosa" maybe she will try to do something about it. I think you have a problem with jealousy, and anger. Maybe YOU should see a shrink! Mahoney's will ALWAYS be #1 in this area. Get over it!
hmm-maybe

Powell, TN

#70 Jan 9, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I DO NOT work there, and I am not full of BS. For your information, Dick's has been here for YEARS with no effect on Mahoney's. Who cares if Bass Pro comes. They will NEVER have the gun selection that Mahoney's has, and their customer service doesn't come close. As for the man's wife, it is what it is. If she was a "wallapaloosa" maybe she will try to do something about it. I think you have a problem with jealousy, and anger. Maybe YOU should see a shrink! Mahoney's will ALWAYS be #1 in this area. Get over it!
whatever.......I dont think I have the problem maybe you do since you make fun and say ugly things about someones weight....I wasnt on here making comments about others weight as you were and futher more I dont give one big flip about MAHONEYS.... so stuff it in your mouth ...it was just you making the asshole remarks about the mans wife....I hope you look in the the mirror one day and see yourself with a illness that causes YOU to have EXCESS weight so others can make ugly remarks about YOU....OR maybe your family could have weight on them(wife,parents kids)do you make fun of them or would you???I would think not ....and I see you own rental property as to your other comment about your condos..........ha ha ha ..........maybe your getting just what you deserve you smug ass!!!! Your such a child to make fun of others and then tell me I nee a SHRINK.........heres looking at ........YOU as to which one needs a shrink.....I bet your a fine candidate for the shrink........ Thanks for a good laugh ......what goes around comes around ....now you run to church on sunday we'll see you there....lol
Jeff

Kingsport, TN

#71 Jan 9, 2013
hmm-maybe wrote:
<quoted text> whatever.......I dont think I have the problem maybe you do since you make fun and say ugly things about someones weight....I wasnt on here making comments about others weight as you were and futher more I dont give one big flip about MAHONEYS.... so stuff it in your mouth ...it was just you making the asshole remarks about the mans wife....I hope you look in the the mirror one day and see yourself with a illness that causes YOU to have EXCESS weight so others can make ugly remarks about YOU....OR maybe your family could have weight on them(wife,parents kids)do you make fun of them or would you???I would think not ....and I see you own rental property as to your other comment about your condos..........ha ha ha ..........maybe your getting just what you deserve you smug ass!!!! Your such a child to make fun of others and then tell me I nee a SHRINK.........heres looking at ........YOU as to which one needs a shrink.....I bet your a fine candidate for the shrink........ Thanks for a good laugh ......what goes around comes around ....now you run to church on sunday we'll see you there....lol
Apparently you are not very well educated, and cannot read. It was the man's wife who first mentioned her size. I suspect your wife is obese, and maybe you also. I can tell by your language that you are low class, probably live in a trailer park, and perhaps do not have a JOB! Therefore, you are jealous of the people who "HAVE". I would like to know WHAT illness causes weight gain??? From what I know, persons with illnesses lose weight. As for my condo, my former tenant PAID every cent to have his damages repaired. You seem to have an anger management problem, as well as an extremely jealous nature. If you can't afford Mahoney's, go elsewhere PLEASE!
Facts

United States

#72 Jan 9, 2013
I dropped close to $800 on clothing at Mahoneys in December and their prices were lower than REI and zappos.com . Plus, great knowledgable sales staff in different departments. Kudos Mahoneys! Looking forward to spring.
Scott

Jonesborough, TN

#73 Jan 9, 2013
I have shopped at Mahoneys for over 30 years and the service has always been great, the prices were fair, and I personally appreciate the community service the Mahoneys have given over the years. I have also shopped at Dicks. Dicks is not bad, but does not have near the selection that Mahoneys does and doesn't come close to them regarding customer service. I'll shop at a local business any day over a chain.
resident that knows

Nebo, NC

#74 Jan 10, 2013
SpiroAgnew wrote:
what you mean downtown? It's not. Bet you haven't even been to Mahoney's.
Shopper

Johnson City, TN

#75 Jan 10, 2013
I have been going to Mahoney's since the mid 1980s and, I agree, the service is hit or miss. It just depends on the salesperson. I'm not sure where that diversity in attitude comes from. Dan Mahoney sure could take a lesson from Mr. Seaton who owns the Firehouse Restaurant. Now there's a local business whose employees know how to treat customers. And, in my view, service isn't any better at Dick's. Good luck getting help in the shoe section there. Poor service and big egos seem to be the plague lately, but shouldn't we expect this from the "me" generation that fills the service sector now? Heaven knows they were all special, gifted, etc. and got a trophy for just showing up to school.

Since: Nov 12

Johnson City, TN

#76 Jan 10, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you are not very well educated, and cannot read. It was the man's wife who first mentioned her size. I suspect your wife is obese, and maybe you also. I can tell by your language that you are low class, probably live in a trailer park, and perhaps do not have a JOB! Therefore, you are jealous of the people who "HAVE". I would like to know WHAT illness causes weight gain??? From what I know, persons with illnesses lose weight. As for my condo, my former tenant PAID every cent to have his damages repaired. You seem to have an anger management problem, as well as an extremely jealous nature. If you can't afford Mahoney's, go elsewhere PLEASE!
I hate to break this to you, but larger people are very active; however, due to things beyond their control are not skinny people. If you are this insecure of yourself then I feel bad for you. You shouldn't judge people who you don't know cause the tables could be turned on you.
Dpaul55

Johnson City, TN

#77 Jan 10, 2013
I have lived in the general area of Mahoney's and have known the Mahoney's most of my life. Although the family are wonderful people I will admit that I rarely shopped there for #1. Too expensive #2. was packed too tight for my liking #3. The attitiude that 'my stuff is better than yours and that is why we charge what we do'. I find that most people have a belief that if they pay more for it, it has got to be good.I saved over $100 on a pair of boots that Wiseman's had in stock of my size (13 EEE) that Mahoney's wanted to special order.I drove about 7 miles to get them when I could have walked to Mahoney's. Nowadays, price is everything.I might do business again but it would be when they have marked things down to move them out after Christmas. 150% mark-up on things is just too much for the average consumer.
Hunter

Watauga, TN

#78 Jan 10, 2013
Everyone on hear seems to hate Mahoneys but they must be doing something right, you can't even find a parking space most of the time.
Diner

Kingsport, TN

#79 Jan 10, 2013
Shopper wrote:
I have been going to Mahoney's since the mid 1980s and, I agree, the service is hit or miss. It just depends on the salesperson. I'm not sure where that diversity in attitude comes from. Dan Mahoney sure could take a lesson from Mr. Seaton who owns the Firehouse Restaurant. Now there's a local business whose employees know how to treat customers. And, in my view, service isn't any better at Dick's. Good luck getting help in the shoe section there. Poor service and big egos seem to be the plague lately, but shouldn't we expect this from the "me" generation that fills the service sector now? Heaven knows they were all special, gifted, etc. and got a trophy for just showing up to school.
I agree with you that Firehouse usually has good service. However, in the afternoon, you will get reheated baked potatoes from lunch. Also, you will, in time, get a server that isn't too great. When you go through the Express Lunch line you do not always get what you ordered. It depends on the knowledge of the cashier, at the time. It is frustrating the way it is set up, and with table service being upstairs it isn't a good option for those with joint problems. As for Mahoney's, I have ALWAYS, in every department, received superior service. The fellows in the gun department are especially well informed on all the guns. I LOVE going to Mahoney's. It is crowded, most all of the time, and parking can be difficult but I don't mind that.
Caligula

Kingsport, TN

#80 Jan 10, 2013
I love the gun selection at Mahoneys.... They have some good stuff and some really smart folks who have no problem letting you know how good they are. The shoe selection is great and I often buy the most expensive pair as recommended by the sales person. You have to show your bling while on the AT. Ensuring I am carrying my $1500 kimber that I bought last week ensures that me and some old wrinkly dude can make out the man cave later on. I went to Dicks but they didn't live up to the name. Mahoneys on the other hand was full of them! All you 30 year shoppers quit spending my social security
freefallin

Charlotte, NC

#81 Jan 23, 2013
I try to always buy local but this place is way overpriced in the gun knife and clothing department I have found good deals here dont get me wrong I like the place always have but they are just way too overpriced anymore...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jonesborough Teacher Rebman 10 hr Acne abound 3
Kimber Halliburton 10 hr Get real 20
Washington County Schools Cover Up 10 hr Disgusted 9
Poll Who will you vote for in August for Congress? (Jul '14) 11 hr Taxation is theft 3
Poorboy Lawncare 14 hr Okgood 11
You's Dumb Girls Sat GoodOldDay 22
Planet Fitness In the Evenings Sat Idiot 12

Johnson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages