Don

Kingsport, TN

#24 Jan 14, 2013
DapperDan wrote:
$42.oo plus tip for 3 people for a meat and 3 is ridiculous(Julie) I can spend the same amount and cook over 4 meals at home for that price and it will be delicious,nutritous, and the plate that its served on hasn't been handled by a tattooed,stoned dishwasher. This is the reason I don't go to restaurants anymore. When you start saying,"I can cook better than this at home" it is no longer worth the money just so you don't have to do the dishes afterwards. I also know that a lot of my friends wives don't like to cook,( 1 said she really knows how to work a drive-thru) but when I am doing a merlot brisket on the smoker with a sweet potato souffle' with all the trimmings, they don't waste anytime asking me to share with them, which I do. Regardless I have 1 suggestion....learn to cook! I did and absolutely love it! ANd when I cook a meal for a female friend, I love the response."You did this?" SO it has more than one benefit than just saving money.
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! IF you can cook over 4 meals for $42.00, you must be eating beans, beans, and more beans. If you cannot afford to go out, please stay home, and quit whining. If you buy decent Merlot, there goes most of your $42. Ridiculous. I doubt you impress anyone with, or without, your cooking. I just bet you are "dapper". For one thing, you are a penny pincher. This, in itself, makes you unattractive to women.
Pumpkin Mousse

United States

#25 Jan 14, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! IF you can cook over 4 meals for $42.00, you must be eating beans, beans, and more beans. If you cannot afford to go out, please stay home, and quit whining. If you buy decent Merlot, there goes most of your $42. Ridiculous. I doubt you impress anyone with, or without, your cooking. I just bet you are "dapper". For one thing, you are a penny pincher. This, in itself, makes you unattractive to women.
If you know how to cook, you totally can do 4 great meals for 3 people on that. You just spend in the right places, balance splurges & cheaper staples in each meal. Like asparagus & shrimp omelets with herbs & fresh parm. you should already have in your fridge. You could do that for $6-8 depending on the season, that's under budget leaving more $ for the wine. You can get a merlot that is more than decent enough to cook with for under $15. Maybe for closer to $10 if you were one of those people that really knew meats, bc it'd depend on the cut.

For the record, I am a woman impressed by anyone that'd rather cook at home than eat out, plus I've heard that restaurant is mediocre at best. I also happen to be quite impressed with penny pinching. It is an attractive quality to know how to spend wisely. Frugality suggests financial security & wise planning, and usually puts you in a better position to splurge & enjoy finer things as the occasions arise. Cheapness is not an attractive quality, but knowing how to cook a few meals at home for what it'd cost to get one out is by no means cheap.
DapperDan

Johnson City, TN

#26 Jan 16, 2013
Well said Pumpkin Mouse. I simply live within my means. Frugalityhas taught me well over the years for I don't need all the fancy materialism or the best of the best to be happy. Tis is why I owe no man 1 red cent. And yes I eat beans quite often. Protein rich and full of fiber which I believe Mr.Don could use. maybe its constipation that makes him a bit irritable.
And it is a shame you are in Illinois. It would have given me pleasure to have you experience a cheap dinner with a 'cheap' bottle of wine. And ya' know what? Might even serve beans...oh and Don? Read Ms. Pumpkin Mouse again...I find the word "attractive quality" mentioned......
phillip227234

Blacksburg, SC

#27 Jan 16, 2013
Just go to Cracker Barrel
page

Mountain City, TN

#28 Jan 19, 2013
Been wanting to try but after all the comments, I guess I'll stick with Farmers Daughter!
tipton64

Johnson City, TN

#29 Jan 19, 2013
phillip227234 wrote:
Just go to Cracker Barrel
It's better than Cracker Barrell. It's near where I live - we eat there a lot. It's really good
Ted

Kingsport, TN

#30 Jan 20, 2013
page wrote:
Been wanting to try but after all the comments, I guess I'll stick with Farmers Daughter!
Ole Barn is VERY good, as is Farmer's Daughter. Some people just don't have the money to eat out, and then they complain about paying for a nice meal. Ole Barn, Farmer's Daughter & Shirley's are priced the same. You will be glad you went to Ole Barn. It is in an old log building, and has lots of atmosphere. It is WAY better than Cracker Barrel!
Just saying

Columbus, OH

#31 Jan 20, 2013
tipton64 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's better than Cracker Barrell. It's near where I live - we eat there a lot. It's really good
Cracker Barrels nationwide have really gone downhill over the last 5 years.
nagada

Kingsport, TN

#32 Jan 21, 2013
My wife & I were told that there's community seating; that one can end up having to sit at a table with parties other than one's own. Is that really the case?
Ted

Kingsport, TN

#33 Jan 21, 2013
nagada wrote:
My wife & I were told that there's community seating; that one can end up having to sit at a table with parties other than one's own. Is that really the case?
The seating is separate.
nagada

Kingsport, TN

#34 Jan 21, 2013
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>
The seating is separate.
Thank you,Ted.
dinbc

Kingsport, TN

#35 Jan 24, 2013
my dear gladys i was born and raised in east tn . was you? I said price is fair ,i was raised on true home cookin and i know good from bad so if you think farmers daughter and ole barn are so good you have never had real country cookin oh by the way im a educated business professional
Fillers Cambell

Johnson City, TN

#36 Jan 25, 2013
Why do you keep going back "Frank"?
freefallin

Lexington, NC

#37 Jan 25, 2013
Very attractive and clean place to eat and the service and people were all friendly and professional, yet the food is just not that good. It is very dry and unseasoned on the meats and the price does not warrant the quality. Very nice atmosphere and people but quality of food is lacking, tried three different times...
katy

Kingsport, TN

#38 Apr 27, 2013
20 of us went to Ole Barn Restaurant this evening. I had read some bad reviews, so I was hesitant, but wanted to join the group. Let me say first of all, one bathroom is crazy for a restaurant that seats so many. the women's is, however, charmingly decrated, as is the rest of the restaurant. Overall it was a good experience, food was excellent. Most was not steaming hot, but it was acceptably warm. There were no complaints about the food at all. Plenty of it, with our server (Brian) bringing refills of food quickly. Dessert was small, not all you can eat, but was tasty. Prices have increased to about $17. including tax, but that is still a bargain for a full all you can meal with beverage & dessert. I'll be back to try out breakfast ASAP.
trpasserin

Jonesborough, TN

#39 May 5, 2013
dinbc wrote:
my dear gladys i was born and raised in east tn . was you? I said price is fair ,i was raised on true home cookin and i know good from bad so if you think farmers daughter and ole barn are so good you have never had real country cookin oh by the way im a educated business professional
I'm sorry, I must call foul on your statement that you are a business professional lol. "was you" hehehehe
zoz

Johnson City, TN

#40 May 5, 2013
Get out of Carter, Washington and Sullivan Counties and see what real food is like. The food in this area is terrible, you people are ignorant and don't know what good food is. Thanks and have a good day!
Julie

Johnson City, TN

#41 May 5, 2013
Dubya Tee Eff wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you are pissed over spending $42 plus tip because that's a whole week's salary for you.
No, Dubya, I'm a stay at home mom so I don't have a salary. My husband brings home the paycheck. But what I do have that you don't, is an education. If you had read my post and been able to understand it, you would have seen that I was upset that the food was very bad quality, therefore it was not worth the money. I'm sure you must work there or are family.
zoz is half right

Johnson City, TN

#42 May 6, 2013
Nobody knows how to cook a decent homemade meal anymore. Most people DON'T even know what a good homemade meal is supposed to taste like. I think a lot of people who say it was good live out of cans and boxes. I have seen many restaurants open up here with great ideas and menus only to fail because the food was nasty. I don't care how nice an atmosphere or décor is , if the food sucks you're not going to succeed. If you advertise homemade meals then make it homemade, not instant mashed potatoes out of a box!
zoz is half right

Johnson City, TN

#43 May 6, 2013
Don't know why anyone would think my comment is racy or incendiary, it's the truth. How many people do you know that can bake a cake, biscuits, or can make a pie crust and roll it out completely from scratch? Or make real southern fried chicken,real mashed potatoes, grits that aren't half cooked and watery. How about homemade bread? I even had potato soup served to me that had undercooked hash browns in it instead of cubed potatoes at a restaurant. I over 50 and 90% of the women I know can't cook and flip out when I make something homemade. It's a dying art.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Washington County Taxpayers Wake Up 1 hr Unbelievable 12
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 6 hr Jim 701
Thank God Ron Dykes is leaving. 12 hr Goodness 17
Karla Kyte Productions 12 hr Goodness 2
Midnight Rambler (Sep '13) 13 hr Waxy51 3
GOP leadership will protect Obamacare (Nov '14) 18 hr Hill Billy Boy 70
WQUT's Tennessee Midnight Rambler Retires (Jan '12) 20 hr Jethro Toe 72
More from around the web

Johnson City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE