The Ole Barn Restaurant in Johnson City, Tennessee

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pat

Nashville, TN

#1 Feb 21, 2012
My daughter and I went to the new restaurant (The Barn) on Okolona road in Johnson city on Saturday evening. When we pulled up we wer pleasantly surprised at how interesting the place was. We went in and were immediately seated. The waitress was very kind and friendly. The meal was $12.99 a piece and kids under 5 eat free. It was family style. We picked out fried chicken and hamburger steak a long with some sides. We were served vegetable soup in plastic bowls. It was lukewarm. They brought biscuits and cornbread and it was cold and hard. The fried chicken was so hard you could hardly cut into it. We were disappointed. The dessert was so tiny that we laughed. I am hoping the owner of this place realizes unless he immediately changes how the food is being cooked and served he will not be open long. The place has awesome potential but they have only been open since november and if they are already skimping on the food the doors will be closed soon and it may be better served as a real barn with animals in it. Sincerely Pat Westmoreland
Billy

Columbus, OH

#2 Feb 21, 2012
Just can't leave it alone, can you "Frank"?
Frank

Wildwood, FL

#3 Feb 26, 2012
Billy, you sure got this one wrong as I have not even checked this forum in over six weeks untill today. I also dont Give a S**T if you believe me or not. Looks like in looking back on comments since November 22, 2011 there has been several actual people who ate there and had bad problems. Take out the "Trolls" and BS comments and the ratio appears to be the majority disliked the place.
Pat get ready for a lot of B.S. from trolls and family members on your post. I happen to agree with you 100%.
slam dunk

Nashville, TN

#4 Feb 26, 2012
Checked into the Barn just to see the menu and food being served two weeks after they opened. We have owned restaurants and know that it takes weeks to get up to speed and operate one smoothly. The menu at that time consisted of (I think) not more than three meat selections and four of five vegetable choices for $12.99 per person. We decided to wait a few weeks and then go there. Comments from people who have eaten there since were mixed, not great, so we have yet to eat there. I can not say anything about the food except that the choices seemed pretty limited, compared to The Farmers Daughter, which costs $12.75 per person. When I start hearing better comments, we will try the barn.
Billy

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 26, 2012
Frank wrote:
I also dont Give a S**T if you believe me or not.
That's good because I don't.
Lana

Kingsport, TN

#6 Feb 27, 2012
slam dunk wrote:
Checked into the Barn just to see the menu and food being served two weeks after they opened. We have owned restaurants and know that it takes weeks to get up to speed and operate one smoothly. The menu at that time consisted of (I think) not more than three meat selections and four of five vegetable choices for $12.99 per person. We decided to wait a few weeks and then go there. Comments from people who have eaten there since were mixed, not great, so we have yet to eat there. I can not say anything about the food except that the choices seemed pretty limited, compared to The Farmers Daughter, which costs $12.75 per person. When I start hearing better comments, we will try the barn.
Farmer's Daughter is $14 now, and Ole Barn is $12.99. The Ole Barn offers 4 meats per day + about 7-8 side dishes. They have biscuits, cornbread, and yeast rolls. The desserts are small like they are at Farmer's Daughter. The Ole Barn has everything running very smoothly. You get your food in about ten minutes, hot & fresh. The Ayers family all work there, and are great people.
Sharon

Kingsport, TN

#8 Mar 17, 2012
My sister and I ate at the ole barn restaurant for the first time today. We also were disappointed. It dont matter if the owners are good people or not,the food wasnt. The bread they brought before the meal was so hard when we tryed to open the biscuits they broke into pieces they were so hard like dried out clumps of dirt.Then the steak in the steak and gravy was so raw it was bloody and the fish was as tough as the bread but was greasy. I think the only thing that was half way good was the vegs. We will not being going back.
Billy

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 17, 2012
Why do you keep going back "Frank"?
Wondering

Johnson City, TN

#10 Mar 20, 2012
If you meal was that bad, did you not ask for your money back ? Have you told the owner your concern's or experience? Just asking was wanting to try it, I like to support local American Made Companies.. If we all supported America maybe this country would not be in the mess we are in now ?
Julie

Jonesborough, TN

#12 Mar 24, 2012
For my husbands birthday, my husband, myself and my daughter went to the Ole Barn. I wish we had never even heard of the place. That was the biggest waste of 42.00 + tip, we have ever spent. I am still mad about it. Cornbread is nasty, rolls are blah. Fried Chicken-rubbery and dried out, Fish-soggy. The vegetables tasted like they had been dumped out of a can. Mashed potatoes tasted like instant. The only thing good was the green beans. The dessert is a joke. Peanut butter brownie was hard and dried out, strawberry shortcake tasted fake. If your going to spend that much money, spend a few extra dollars and go to Farmers Daughter. Its the best food on the planet.My daughter now calls Ole Barn....Ole Barf.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#13 Mar 24, 2012
Julie wrote:
That was the biggest waste of 42.00 + tip, we have ever spent. I am still mad about it.
I bet you are pissed over spending $42 plus tip because that's a whole week's salary for you.
Wondering

Johnson City, TN

#14 Mar 24, 2012
I wish someone would tell the owner what is going on ?? I want to try it.....
my input

Nashville, TN

#16 Mar 27, 2012
i agree food is over priced and not very good at all maybe hire a real cook and you will get a better response.
you have a great idea and location your just going to have to do something about that food sorry
Watching_you lol_lol

Jonesborough, TN

#17 Mar 27, 2012
Why would I give a sh-t what you or any other woman has to say.
Women should not be in the workforce.
Stay home barefoot, pregnant and cook dammit!!!
Dubya Tee Eff wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you are pissed over spending $42 plus tip because that's a whole week's salary for you.
Watching_you lol_lol

Jonesborough, TN

#18 Mar 27, 2012
... same response to you too!
Julie wrote:
For my husbands birthday, my husband, myself and my daughter went to the Ole Barn. I wish we had never even heard of the place. That was the biggest waste of 42.00 + tip, we have ever spent. I am still mad about it. Cornbread is nasty, rolls are blah. Fried Chicken-rubbery and dried out, Fish-soggy. The vegetables tasted like they had been dumped out of a can. Mashed potatoes tasted like instant. The only thing good was the green beans. The dessert is a joke. Peanut butter brownie was hard and dried out, strawberry shortcake tasted fake. If your going to spend that much money, spend a few extra dollars and go to Farmers Daughter. Its the best food on the planet.My daughter now calls Ole Barn....Ole Barf.
Haha

Charlotte, NC

#19 Nov 4, 2012
Fat asses always have something to complain about
vp mom

Johnson City, TN

#20 Nov 20, 2012
Not sure when you'all have eaten there. We've, my family and I, eaten at the Barn several times and have found the food to be delicious every time. Sorry you'all have had bad experiences. Give them another chance. Nobody is perfect everytime.
dinbc

Elizabethton, TN

#21 Dec 28, 2012
the building is awesome. the price fair ,the food is lacking ,but so is the farmers daughter
Gladys

Kingsport, TN

#22 Jan 5, 2013
dinbc wrote:
the building is awesome. the price fair ,the food is lacking ,but so is the farmers daughter
The Farmer's Daughter has WONDERFUL food, as does Ole Barn. I suspect many people are used to eating off the dollar menu at McD's, and they find the prices out of their range. I cannot imagine what these people, who complain, eat at home.
DapperDan

Johnson City, TN

#23 Jan 14, 2013
$42.oo plus tip for 3 people for a meat and 3 is ridiculous(Julie) I can spend the same amount and cook over 4 meals at home for that price and it will be delicious,nutritous, and the plate that its served on hasn't been handled by a tattooed,stoned dishwasher. This is the reason I don't go to restaurants anymore. When you start saying,"I can cook better than this at home" it is no longer worth the money just so you don't have to do the dishes afterwards. I also know that a lot of my friends wives don't like to cook,( 1 said she really knows how to work a drive-thru) but when I am doing a merlot brisket on the smoker with a sweet potato souffle' with all the trimmings, they don't waste anytime asking me to share with them, which I do. Regardless I have 1 suggestion....learn to cook! I did and absolutely love it! ANd when I cook a meal for a female friend, I love the response."You did this?" SO it has more than one benefit than just saving money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
act call center johnson city tn (Oct '10) 3 hr jackie48 310
Judge Lincoln threatens to lock up deputies for... (Jan '11) 4 hr jackie48 8
What has happened to Gregs Pizza?? (Oct '12) 12 hr Pizza Guy 58
Mr. P. B. McDaniel 12 hr knows your family 1
GOP leadership will protect Obamacare 19 hr zzz 52
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) Wed DonotbesoNaive 351
Will The Mouses Ear rise again? Tue Severin 23
Johnson City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web