Comments
1 - 20 of 63 Comments Last updated Jan 1, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
LEFT OUT AGAIN

Elizabethton, TN

#1 Dec 14, 2013
Well it looks like everyone else is left holding an empty bag again. Guess the ones that didn't get anything will have to go to a food bank somewhere to get dinner for Christmas. The low one's on the Totem Pole don't count.
Walkman

Elizabethton, TN

#2 Dec 14, 2013
Slap in the face for the Support Staff. Washington County don't pay as it is. I understand having to go and get food from a Food Pantry for Christmas Dinner. On what they pay it's a wonder that people are not there more often. Hard to buy Groceries for any time of year
Pop

Johnson City, TN

#3 Dec 14, 2013
Walkman wrote:
Slap in the face for the Support Staff. Washington County don't pay as it is. I understand having to go and get food from a Food Pantry for Christmas Dinner. On what they pay it's a wonder that people are not there more often. Hard to buy Groceries for any time of year
Don't like the pay, go get another job. You have a choice.
Pop

Johnson City, TN

#4 Dec 14, 2013
LEFT OUT AGAIN wrote:
Well it looks like everyone else is left holding an empty bag again. Guess the ones that didn't get anything will have to go to a food bank somewhere to get dinner for Christmas. The low one's on the Totem Pole don't count.
WTH? So you have to have a bonus to eat? What about the rest of the year? If you don't think you are making enough, go get another job. Quit crying about it on the internet. That will do nothing.
Walkman

Elizabethton, TN

#5 Dec 14, 2013
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that is none of your business "POP" I own and operate my own business and have been doing so for 40 years, and very successful I might add.. I give all my employees a bonus at Christmas time, because I know what it takes. "Merry Christmas to you and your family" Hope you have a successful New Year also.
LEFT OUT AGAIN

Elizabethton, TN

#6 Dec 14, 2013
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
WTH? So you have to have a bonus to eat? What about the rest of the year? If you don't think you are making enough, go get another job. Quit crying about it on the internet. That will do nothing.
Ewwwwwww You must make a lot of $$$$$$$ Bet you don't know what it is like on less than 19.000.00 a year and have to pay insurance on top of that & working 2 jobs. Sorry I offended you Mr. Rich
Mike

Elizabethton, TN

#7 Dec 14, 2013
Be glad you all have jobs.... If it were up to me teachers would not get any " Bonus " I am also successful business owner for over 30 years.

I have found it very hard to get good young employees that can do simple math and or read and understand what they have read. Who is at fault? The so calld teachers that is not doing their job teaching these kids. So no raises should be given to any teacher give the money to me where I can get good employees from another state.
Humble

Johnson City, TN

#8 Dec 14, 2013
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
You must really be old or stupid. Today's job market is nothing like 30 years ago. NAFTA and other factors make for more skill and since baby boomers were caught up in themselves there was less parental involvement. I predict you are a very lonely miserable person. Your life is not over yet. The Good Lord may teach you a lesson in compassion and you may see financial hardship.
Pop

Bristol, TN

#9 Dec 14, 2013
LEFT OUT AGAIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Ewwwwwww You must make a lot of $$$$$$$ Bet you don't know what it is like on less than 19.000.00 a year and have to pay insurance on top of that & working 2 jobs. Sorry I offended you Mr. Rich
If you make less than $19,000 per year, you are either stupid for working there or you are basically unhireable by higher paying employers. In that case, you have done something stupid to keep you from a higher paying job. Maybe you dropped out of school, got hooked on drugs or alcohol, or just terminally lazy. Which one is it because it has to be one of them.
Wow

Johnson City, TN

#10 Dec 14, 2013
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
If you make less than $19,000 per year, you are either stupid for working there or you are basically unhireable by higher paying employers. In that case, you have done something stupid to keep you from a higher paying job. Maybe you dropped out of school, got hooked on drugs or alcohol, or just terminally lazy. Which one is it because it has to be one of them.
You seem to be out of touch. Not everyone can be wealthy or upper middle class. You should choose your words carefully. You never know when you could be out of work, get ill or any other bad circumstance to make you think about what you are saying. I take you do not have children or at least children you raised.
teacher

Johnson City, TN

#11 Dec 14, 2013
We should get a bonus on a weekly basis for tolerating a lot of these kids.
SMH

Jonesborough, TN

#12 Dec 15, 2013
Mike wrote:
Be glad you all have jobs.... If it were up to me teachers would not get any " Bonus " I am also successful business owner for over 30 years.
I have found it very hard to get good young employees that can do simple math and or read and understand what they have read. Who is at fault? The so calld teachers that is not doing their job teaching these kids. So no raises should be given to any teacher give the money to me where I can get good employees from another state.
You didn't listen in class. Your grammar is atrocious. If you paid your employees a decent wage, maybe you wouldn't have that problem.
Pop

Bristol, TN

#13 Dec 15, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>You seem to be out of touch. Not everyone can be wealthy or upper middle class. You should choose your words carefully. You never know when you could be out of work, get ill or any other bad circumstance to make you think about what you are saying. I take you do not have children or at least children you raised.
I know exactly what I am saying and have 3 children which 2 are in college. This isn't rocket science. If an employer, any employer including the government, only has limited funds to use on employees for bonuses, raises, etc., they are going to use those funds trying to retain the employees that are the hardest to replace. If you only make $19,000/yr, then your only skill is labor. That is the easiest job to replace or hire for. Most people can do this. Teachers have to be college educated and pass state regulations and requirements. They are hard to replace and it is even harder to retain the "good" ones.

If you don't make a lot of money, then go develop some skills that an employer wants. Nobody is simply going to give you higher wages because you breathe. You might not like it, but this is reality.
Single Parent

Elizabethton, TN

#14 Dec 15, 2013
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
I know exactly what I am saying and have 3 children which 2 are in college. This isn't rocket science. If an employer, any employer including the government, only has limited funds to use on employees for bonuses, raises, etc., they are going to use those funds trying to retain the employees that are the hardest to replace. If you only make $19,000/yr, then your only skill is labor. That is the easiest job to replace or hire for. Most people can do this. Teachers have to be college educated and pass state regulations and requirements. They are hard to replace and it is even harder to retain the "good" ones.
If you don't make a lot of money, then go develop some skills that an employer wants. Nobody is simply going to give you higher wages because you breathe. You might not like it, but this is reality.
Well now that we know you are in the Upper class. There are hardships like loosing jobs and getting what is available. Seems like you have never endured either. Like a pyramid, the top of the structure would topple with out the foundation at the bottom. We pay the same price for Food and milk as you do unless we get everything in powder form. Why don't you come down to some of the peoples level that really work hard for a living and get out of the penthouse sometime. Ohhh and By the way "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to you and your family.
Pop

Johnson City, TN

#15 Dec 15, 2013
Single Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now that we know you are in the Upper class. There are hardships like loosing jobs and getting what is available. Seems like you have never endured either. Like a pyramid, the top of the structure would topple with out the foundation at the bottom. We pay the same price for Food and milk as you do unless we get everything in powder form. Why don't you come down to some of the peoples level that really work hard for a living and get out of the penthouse sometime. Ohhh and By the way "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to you and your family.
I've endured a lot of hardships, financial, emotional and physical. Everyone does. But never did I expect anything to be given to me that I did not earn. I never expected a Christmas bonus, a seniority raise, or government welfare. I always worked hard, made the right choices, and eventually, good things happened. It's not rocket science, a good work ethic and morals always pays off. You persevere through the hard times and enjoy the easier times. That's life.
Phil

Johnson City, TN

#16 Dec 15, 2013
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
I've endured a lot of hardships, financial, emotional and physical. Everyone does. But never did I expect anything to be given to me that I did not earn. I never expected a Christmas bonus, a seniority raise, or government welfare. I always worked hard, made the right choices, and eventually, good things happened. It's not rocket science, a good work ethic and morals always pays off. You persevere through the hard times and enjoy the easier times. That's life.
Pop sounds like a self promoting prick who probably inherited more than he made. I grew up in Washington County with my siblings. My patents were farmers and laborers who were not afforded the do something about it as you say. When I graduated high school I served my country and went on to get college degree. I have been very successful in banking and even held public office. I wouldn't think of puttingy parents down or those not making much money but are working. At least give them credit for working and instead of knocking them do something more constructive than making arrogant comments. If you were so smart in business use your knowledge. If you were a successful salesperson give tips unless you were in car or insurance sales. And if you are successful attorney don't need anything on that.
Pop

Bristol, TN

#17 Dec 15, 2013
Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Pop sounds like a self promoting prick who probably inherited more than he made. I grew up in Washington County with my siblings. My patents were farmers and laborers who were not afforded the do something about it as you say. When I graduated high school I served my country and went on to get college degree. I have been very successful in banking and even held public office. I wouldn't think of puttingy parents down or those not making much money but are working. At least give them credit for working and instead of knocking them do something more constructive than making arrogant comments. If you were so smart in business use your knowledge. If you were a successful salesperson give tips unless you were in car or insurance sales. And if you are successful attorney don't need anything on that.
We'll Dr. Phil, you are ignoring the original post I replied to. Someone, whom is assume works for the county, stated he or she couldn't eat Christmas dinner because they didn't get a raise and was crying about the fact that the county teachers did. If you can't eat Christmas dinner because you didn't get a raise, then you have made a nun-wise choice down the road. If you are actually working somewhere and don't like the pay, gain some skills and work someplace else, or work two jobs. I've done it and anybody else can do it too.

Don't be so quick to criticize. Some people actually do need help, some people need to heed some good advice, and some people need a good kick in the butt. Helping yourself is the first step at elevating yourself. You don't condone that activity, fine. However, I know better.
Another teacher

Johnson City, TN

#18 Dec 15, 2013
teacher wrote:
We should get a bonus on a weekly basis for tolerating a lot of these kids.
Do us a favor, and please home school them,
Mom

Johnson City, TN

#19 Dec 16, 2013
Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree in part with you but in reality not as easy as you make it appear. When I was growing up my parents owned a small service station/grill. There were 5 of us and things were tough. Given how many hours my dad worked and how hard he worked I hope there was never a cold hearted SOB like you to make him feel worse. I'm sure he had more people at his funeral than you will ever dream of having at yours.
Pop

Johnson City, TN

#20 Dec 16, 2013
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>I agree in part with you but in reality not as easy as you make it appear. When I was growing up my parents owned a small service station/grill. There were 5 of us and things were tough. Given how many hours my dad worked and how hard he worked I hope there was never a cold hearted SOB like you to make him feel worse. I'm sure he had more people at his funeral than you will ever dream of having at yours.
I'm not cold hearted at all "Mom." Sometimes the truth hurts, but sometimes realizing the truth can help. There were a few times in my life where I would have appreciated a kick in the pants and some beneficial advice. The truth in your case is rather obvious. If you have a family of 5 and operating a service station/grill, and this isn't paying the bills, then it is time to do something else. Trying to sustain a business that cannot support your family is a effort done in vain. All of you suffered for that decision. Good decisions are what is required to maintain a good standard of living. I realize this sounds harsh, but it is reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ed Graybeal is trying to protect Ron Dykes and ... 1 hr Need info 6
JC officer charged with assault 1 hr Stoney Creek 8
PETITION LINK FOR RON DYKES RESIGNATION OR REMO... 1 hr Johnbull 21
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 4 hr Jim 8,615
NutriMost - New Diet Scam 4 hr Tanya 150
County pleased with TCAP scores((FALSIFIED SCOR... 4 hr okay 42
POLICE hide THP wife beater arrest 5 hr focus 29
•••
•••

Johnson City Jobs