First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Girl

Jonesborough, TN

#81 Jan 3, 2013
I was taught to fear death and that I was going to hell and that as a female I was cursed. I have studied much Science since then in college and am happy to find out that I'm not cursed and I am equal. If others want to go around acting like they know everything, go for it, I do not.
humble

Southbury, CT

#82 Jan 3, 2013
Girl wrote:
I was taught to fear death and that I was going to hell and that as a female I was cursed. I have studied much Science since then in college and am happy to find out that I'm not cursed and I am equal. If others want to go around acting like they know everything, go for it, I do not.
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you were put through that growing up. Whoever it was filling your head with that non sense must have been using religion as a way to manipulate and degrade you. That's just wrong. For people or churches to twist religion like that is just terrible. Religion should provide hope and guidance, not provoke fear IMO
myself

La Follette, TN

#83 Jan 3, 2013
LOST wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, because testing/CAT Scans, etc. are misread all the time and not double checked...especially in life threatening cases. All the doctor actually said to us is that he had no way to explain it. So, the only comment you had back was to instantly assume that someone was enept at their job, or that I'm gulliable. If you read my previous comments, you'll see that I'm pretty level, and that I require at least a valid argument to respond. However, in this instance I'll make an exception to that rule, and ask this: if the doctors at Vanderbilt (some of the best in the world when it comes to oncology) aren't able to explain how something like that can happen when they had given up hope, given the fact that I'm not even remotely gulliable, and given the fact that we searched for every possible scientific and medical explination that was possible and came up with nothing. What then would your explination be in this case? Miracle or not? Also, I would like to point out that miraculous happenings don't have to occur only in the supernatural realm, as simple everyday interactions could easily be considered miracles in many ways.
I'm sorry to say, but labs, films, and other tests get mixed up and given as the wrong patient a lot more often than one would hope.
myself

La Follette, TN

#84 Jan 3, 2013
I find it disheartening that I came onto this thread as an atheist feeling discriminated against to read some similar opinions and feel like I am not so alone, but most are hateful toward the differing opinions and beliefs of Christians just as I feel Christians are hateful toward my differing opinions and lack of beliefs. However, I also feel like Christians are just coming to this post to pick a fight since the original post was not directed to them, so I understand why there is some anger, but we cannot meet hate with hate and expect results.

To answer the original question, I do not feel like I need comfort from death. The thing about life is that no one gets out alive, and as soon as we stop fearing death and embrace it as an inevitability, we can then be free to live our lives unbridled. It is upsetting to lose someone close, but I grieve knowing that it would have happened sooner or later anyway, whether today or 10 years from now. It would have been them before me or me before them, and either way we all die.

As proof to everyone that this whole religion debate all about perspective, I, like a few that have posted here, am also a nurse - pediatric and neonatal - and I feel like my profession reinforces my lack of belief. So stop arguing and respect one another.
humble

Southbury, CT

#85 Jan 4, 2013
myself wrote:
I find it disheartening that I came onto this thread as an atheist feeling discriminated against to read some similar opinions and feel like I am not so alone, but most are hateful toward the differing opinions and beliefs of Christians just as I feel Christians are hateful toward my differing opinions and lack of beliefs. However, I also feel like Christians are just coming to this post to pick a fight since the original post was not directed to them, so I understand why there is some anger, but we cannot meet hate with hate and expect results.

To answer the original question, I do not feel like I need comfort from death. The thing about life is that no one gets out alive, and as soon as we stop fearing death and embrace it as an inevitability, we can then be free to live our lives unbridled. It is upsetting to lose someone close, but I grieve knowing that it would have happened sooner or later anyway, whether today or 10 years from now. It would have been them before me or me before them, and either way we all die.

As proof to everyone that this whole religion debate all about perspective, I, like a few that have posted here, am also a nurse - pediatric and neonatal - and I feel like my profession reinforces my lack of belief. So stop arguing and respect one another.
It's almost as if people have separated into religious and non religious cliques. If I claimed to be a Christian, the atheists would be the first people I would embrace the most. Christians are suppose to love and show tolerance to everybody aren't they?

I started considering myself an atheist for about 6 months. At first I felt a sense of liberation, I felt as tho I wasn't accountable for as much as I was as a Christian. In these online discussions I preferred the atheist point of view and began feeling as if all Christians were hypocrites. Then it happened, as if by fate. My job lead me into a church (I work in construction) and I met a member of the congregation that blew my mind one day. A simple gesture planted a seed in my mind. We were listening to our iPods through a work radio when by mistake an Eminem song came on, my boss ran to the radio to change the song. He looked over at this man and said "I'm sure you don't wanna hear this music, it's for us young punks" [it was said in a joking way]. Without missing a beat the man replied "That's the kind of people we try to get in here, see if we can help them out." This simple (and probably seen as silly by some people) gesture totally made me think. For one, I was wrong for generalizing all Christians because of my experiences with a few (I call this religious racism). For two, I saw that Christianity has a lot to do with fellowship and interacting with people.

I still don't consider myself a Christian, I'm still searching for answers and points of views. I believe there's a God tho, I just don't consider myself "there yet".
truth

United States

#86 Jan 8, 2013
Girl wrote:
Yea, whomever told you these things NEVER read the Bible.

Aside from that now. Firstly, there is no such thing as a true atheist or the word "Jesus" wouldn't make them any more angry than the word "snoopy". Yet, Christianity is attacked by "atheists" at every level, from prayer to children's Christmas plays. And it can't be Jesus, Himself. His life in the Bible explempified love and acceptance. He never rejected anyone. However, when Christians move to defend our faith, we are labled as intolerant, narrow minded, uneducated, homophobic, etc..

If you don't believe in God, then you must have some sort of idea or belief as to how we got here. If that idea is evolution, the big bang, neither of which can ever be demonstrated or proven scientifically, then you exhibit faith in a science based religion. Hence, there are no such thing as true "atheists". Only convicted sinners, just like the rest of us, struggling with that darned old conscience we inherited from our creator.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 11 min Gabriella 1,455
Washington County Schools 1 hr Angry Parent 4
wjhl tv 11 (Jan '09) 2 hr FTW 267
Ode to Firefighters 20 hr BFG 1
20% of Democrats will Vote for Trump Tue Cognizant 24
Behind the scenes at Centurylink call center Tue Curiosity killed ... 1
child custody Tue Been there 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Johnson City Mortgages