WQUT Format Change, Pt. 2

Posted in the Johnson City Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Muddy

Wise, VA

#1 Jun 14, 2011
Has anyone heard when the eaxct date for WQUT's format change will take place? It is about time they changed since regular radio is doomed anyways (Check out satellite radio!) and WQUT has been inching more and more towards a sports format with less emphasis on music in recent months! We do need a high-watt sports station in the area becasue the others are generally low-powered AM stations! Any idea when they will switch?
KTC

United States

#2 Jun 14, 2011
Another damn sports channel? Are you kidding me? That and news/talk radio are about all that are on terrestrial radio now... I suppose that it's time that I get satellite just to listen to some music...

I don't understand why there's no "swing, big band, hit parade" type formatted stations in the tri cities. There are enough senior citizens in the area to support a station format such as that...
Muddy

Wise, VA

#3 Jun 15, 2011
KTC wrote:
Another damn sports channel? Are you kidding me? That and news/talk radio are about all that are on terrestrial radio now... I suppose that it's time that I get satellite just to listen to some music...
I don't understand why there's no "swing, big band, hit parade" type formatted stations in the tri cities. There are enough senior citizens in the area to support a station format such as that...
It must be true. Satellite radio is the way to go as terrestrial radio, as a music source, dies by SUICIDE! Think about this...WQUT used to play some variety, but that has been ELIMINATED! Also, their late night weekend request show has been ELIMINATED! And...not only are they carrying UT Football, but also UT basketball too (the first steps towards an all-sports format?) Terrestrial radio will always have a function---news, local weather, school closings, etc,---but its refusal to change from the restrictive formats, the 20 to 25 minutes of commercials and inane chatter, and fake and/or non-existent request lines has doomed it as a music source! Check out SIRIUS-XM or DISH Radio...they are awesome, and they make make one realize that terrestrial radio is indeed in its death throes as a music source!
Muddy

Wise, VA

#4 Jun 15, 2011
KTC wrote:
ANd yes....there are indeed Swing and Big Band channels on SIRIUS-XM!Check them out!
Muddy

Wise, VA

#5 Jun 28, 2011
Any truth than 1st of year will be WQUT's format change? I think it will be a sports station, but rumors also say that it wil be a news/talk station. Hopefully, it will be a sports station becasue we need a high-powered sports station. Am 640 is pretty decent sports station but they not that high-powered. And, we have have enough news/talk stations and they all the same, just right wing windbags. I say: SPORTS!

“It ain't got no gas in it.”

Since: Mar 10

The Nervous Hospital

#6 Jun 28, 2011
I will lissin to whatever as long as I can have some mustard & biscuits. Umm-hmm.

“It ain't got no gas in it.”

Since: Mar 10

The Nervous Hospital

#7 Jun 28, 2011
Here in the nervous hospital we only got a small transistor radio that belongs to my friend Forrest, Forrest Gump. Umm-hmm. It can't pick up none o' that sattylyte radio you be talkin about, so we has to lissin' to that WQUT tertestical station. It would be good if they played sports all the time because I get tired of hearin that Freebird song over and over 50 times every day.Umm-hmm.
JR Blevins

Kingsport, TN

#8 Jun 28, 2011
I have been wanting WQUT to go off the air or change format for years. I love 70's music in general, but my God how many times do they play the same crap over and over. A song that was crap in 1973 is still a crappy song today. Age does not make it better. I would love to hear a format of 80's, local news or even real oldies/ instrumental. Anything but the same old mess they have played forever. Really any change for WQUT would be a change for the better. Love the 70's but enough of the crap they play. I have to play my CD's for the good 70's music anyways.
Muddy

East Stone Gap, VA

#9 Jun 29, 2011
JR Blevins wrote:
I have been wanting WQUT to go off the air or change format for years. I love 70's music in general, but my God how many times do they play the same crap over and over. A song that was crap in 1973 is still a crappy song today. Age does not make it better. I would love to hear a format of 80's, local news or even real oldies/ instrumental. Anything but the same old mess they have played forever. Really any change for WQUT would be a change for the better. Love the 70's but enough of the crap they play. I have to play my CD's for the good 70's music anyways.
Check out satellite radio..it is awesome!!! No commercials, very little chatter, and more variety than you can imagine! It is no wonder that sat. radio gains 100,000 new subscribers per month and just recently passed the 20 MILLION mark..and what does regular radio do? Keeps up the same old crap! Also, on SiriusXm and Dish Radio, there are 70s stations (with lots of variety) as well as oldies AND instrumental stations....96 channels all together of practically every type of music imaginable, and something that no regular stations seem to have...real (yes, REAL) request lines, unlike the fake WQUT ones!Check out satellite radio...it is AWESOME!!
JR Blevins

Kingsport, TN

#10 Jun 29, 2011
Screw satellite radio. They charge for that crap and I there are hundreds of ways to get cd quality music for free. Why pay? I don't care if they only charged $1.00 for life, I would never pay it because their is no need in it. What are you a salesman for satellite radio?
Muddy

Wise, VA

#11 Jun 30, 2011
JR Blevins wrote:
Screw satellite radio. They charge for that crap and I there are hundreds of ways to get cd quality music for free. Why pay? I don't care if they only charged $1.00 for life, I would never pay it because their is no need in it. What are you a salesman for satellite radio?
Nope...i am a fan of MUSIC, unlike you who seems to support the status quo of corporate radio. And, i would not call 96 channels of diverse music, no commericals and REAL request lines "crap." Sad....
JR Blevins

Kingsport, TN

#12 Jul 1, 2011
I saw WQUT doing a live remote yesterday at the Scotchman convenience store in Bristol, so I asked them about the change and I was told they new nothing about a format change. What a shame any change would have been good for them.
quaddy

Johnson City, TN

#13 Jul 1, 2011
Muddy wrote:
Has anyone heard when the eaxct date for WQUT's format change will take place? It is about time they changed since regular radio is doomed anyways (Check out satellite radio!) and WQUT has been inching more and more towards a sports format with less emphasis on music in recent months! We do need a high-watt sports station in the area becasue the others are generally low-powered AM stations! Any idea when they will switch?
Just where did you get information that there was going to be a change in format? I have not heard such. I do think they suck, but they are making money off the lame format, no need to change it. Did you make this stuff up just to get something started?
Pinko

AOL

#14 Jul 4, 2011
QUT still thinks it's 1978. They have the same playlist from that era. What a dead stinking dinosaur that station is. Die QUT.
Great Pontificator

Kingsport, TN

#15 Jul 4, 2011
I like the Eagles but my God how many times do they have to play them. I don't even need to take their CD with me in the car, if I want to hear them I just have to turn on WQUT. They certainly need to change their format.
Blank

Wise, VA

#16 Jul 5, 2011
quaddy wrote:
<quoted text>Just where did you get information that there was going to be a change in format? I have not heard such. I do think they suck, but they are making money off the lame format, no need to change it. Did you make this stuff up just to get something started?
I am forced to agree with the apparent change coming. Of course, WQUT would deny it, but all the things i have seen posted are kinda suspicious. Like, the request shows being done away with, more and more sports coverage, etc. I too am a fan of satellite radio, and i too think regular radio is dying.
Blank

Wise, VA

#17 Jul 6, 2011
Too bad that none of the WQUT employees will post here and defend their station. Maybe...when they get off of work at WQUT, they go home and listen to SATELLITE RADIO! Ha!!
Gomer and Goober

Bristol, TN

#18 Jul 6, 2011
WQUT has sucked for so many years, in my opinion. I believe that it really sucks ass because of the very limited playlist that the management like but seem to ignore what the rest of the listening world wants to hear. And the whole John Boy & Billy "morning zoo" crap is so over with! It was too much back in the 1980s - I didn't like it then, and I sure as hell don't like it now, complete with phony laughing and ultra-lame syndication-style jokes.

Real people listening to a rock and roll music station want to be entertained by listening to music, and not by a bunch of out-of-town losers who could give a darn about the people who live in this listening area.

I hate sports, and think that this area is too overloaded with that crap already! Screw the VOLS! SCREW ROCKY TOP! The VOLS can suck my balls!
in the know

Jonesborough, TN

#19 Jul 6, 2011
you all are a bunch of idiots...just trying to get people to PAY for radio...maybe the WQUT employees are working, and don't have time for silly rumours like this.
there is NO format change. sounds like someone has FACTS all wrong.
just where are your FACTS from?
Blank

Wise, VA

#20 Jul 7, 2011
in the know wrote:
you all are a bunch of idiots...just trying to get people to PAY for radio...maybe the WQUT employees are working, and don't have time for silly rumours like this.
there is NO format change. sounds like someone has FACTS all wrong.
just where are your FACTS from?
People who "PAY" for radio are true music fans. 99.9% of regular radio is the same, with the same reptitive songs, endless commericals and chatter and no real requests from listeners. If people like it, great, but many people do not, as evidenced by the fact that sat. radio now has 20 million subscribers and grows by over 100,000 per month. I saw a radio exec. on Tv recently and he said that regular radio is declining badly with only low single digit growth, mostly in the news/talk format. Also, i doubt that any WQUT employees listen to the same songs by the same bands every single day...so why would they assume that they can "spoonfeed" the listeners that way!! While i admit i listen to regular radio on a few news/talk/religious talk/sports stations, but as for music...NO!!! For music, sat. radio is where its at!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alex Bear 2 min Think bigger 2
Kristien Harris Crawford "Home Wrecker" 4 min Think bigger 8
Mudding 41 min ControlledChoas 1
Tax payers paying to have posts WCDE about Ron... 53 min Dirty Laundry 5
Midnight Rambler web site (Jun '14) 2 hr Curious 16
GOP leadership will protect Obamacare 4 hr Hill Billy Boy 69
Lying Liars: "George West" WFHG Stupor Talk 92.... 4 hr Hill Billy Boy 59
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 14 hr brmitchell251 552

Hard Freeze Warning for Washington County was issued at March 28 at 10:29AM CDT

Johnson City Dating